Team Fortress 2 Beta Live

The promised Team Fortress 2 beta went live overnight on Steam, presumably before midnight Pacific time to fulfill the promised September 17 release. The beta is open to those who have pre-purchased the Orange Box Half-Life 2 bundle.
View : : :
151 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: ...
Sep 18, 2007, 14:12
Re: ... Sep 18, 2007, 14:12
Sep 18, 2007, 14:12

Got to play for about 20 minutes, hooked! Much to learn, much to learn.

I do miss grenades, spam-fest or not.

The new look and feel is just beautiful, makes me feel like a lackey *in* Evil Genius.

I look forward to playing again VERY soon.

Re: ...
Sep 18, 2007, 14:05
Re: ... Sep 18, 2007, 14:05
Sep 18, 2007, 14:05

Go do that. You and Riley (if you are indeed different people) can leave the vast majority of us that like TF2 alone. But I don't want to see you spewing more shit into this topic... you seem to be trying to provoke a reaction from people that like the game but it really doesn't matter. We like it, you don't.

USE THE FILTER USE THE FILTER!

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Sep 18, 2007, 14:00
... Sep 18, 2007, 14:00
Sep 18, 2007, 14:00

No there aren't bots for TF2, nor for other valve engine games due to the crippled server plugin implementation that I filed a bug for improvement years ago about.
Erm... Counter-Strike Source has bots and TF2 will have bots sometime after release, along with extra maps.

Ug, the ONLY thing TF2 has going for it is the graphics/animations. Apparently that's enough for the masses these days.
I'm sorry but last time I played it had a LOT of gameplay to it and was more enjoyable than TFC.

TF2 is the Fisher Price version of TF for people that have played TF for years.
Nonsense. Just because the game is more accessible to new users does NOT make it worse for experienced users. Now instead of everybody conc-jumping everywhere, nading spawns and shouting n00b at heavy weapons guys we have a much more balanced game.

They have 'consolized' Team Fortress, and you guys are eating it up.
Since when did making a game more fun, better looking and better balanced mean "consolized"? I don't care what the experience is like for consoles (though obviously I hope it's fun for people that want to go that option) but I do care what it's like on PC and I am most happy with it.

There will probably be enough of a community left over for FF to coexist, so hopefully we can all come out winners.
Go do that. You and Riley (if you are indeed different people) can leave the vast majority of us that like TF2 alone. But I don't want to see you spewing more shit into this topic... you seem to be trying to provoke a reaction from people that like the game but it really doesn't matter. We like it, you don't.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

No subject
Sep 18, 2007, 13:59
No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:59
Sep 18, 2007, 13:59

Just rememebred something from 3:30 this AM.

I like the red dot for the sniper.
It was fun to mess with teammates and watch the red go across their body as they jump back into their hiding place. Made for some good laughs in chat.

The team chat in the game was very good considering it had only been released for 45+ minutes.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Re: No subject
Sep 18, 2007, 13:46
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:46
Sep 18, 2007, 13:46

Nice post Raven - i had to go to bed so I could work (i am pissed - no sick day for me) but I did notice something:

There is no easy way to 'escape' out of choosing what type of thing to build when you're an engineer. If you accidentally press 4 (build) instead of 3 (wrench), you can't get rid of the menu without choosing to build something. VERY annoying. I suspect the same problem exists for the spy (choosing disguises), though I didn't play it enough to see.

Actually, I just hit the same button - I think secondary?, as I have it set to my MOUSE4, for the build screen, I just hit it again, and the menu disappeared - am I misunderstanding?

Sep 18, 2007, 13:44
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:44
Sep 18, 2007, 13:44

They crippled it way too much though. I've played TF throughout many years for one high level reason. It's a fast paced game that can get your heart rate up. TF2 is an abomination in that regard. Pretty graphics on top of shallow gameplay. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, seems gaming in general is going that direction.

After seeing the train wreck that was the ETF community, and the death of the Q3F community, along with the initial games I've had in TF2 & FF, I can only conclude that the TF we played for years will simply not work anymore. The gameplay is fundamentally flawed, and needs drastic changes (removing of nades being the big one) in order to continue going forth, and growing hopefully.

TF2 is much more of a truer sequel than QWTF -> TFC was, changes are to be expected. And even though I miss conc jumps, med infections, and strafejumping, it simply is a recipe to make a niche game with no chance of growth.

[edit] Joined the BN group. Nice to see the one and only Blue in it too!

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 13:46.

Sep 18, 2007, 13:43
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:43
Sep 18, 2007, 13:43

There is no easy way to 'escape' out of choosing what type of thing to build when you're an engineer. If you accidentally press 4 (build) instead of 3 (wrench), you can't get rid of the menu without choosing to build something. VERY annoying. I suspect the same problem exists for the spy (choosing disguises), though I didn't play it enough to see.

Q. It says so on the build menu pop-up. I haven't played the spy much, but I'm willing to bet it's the same.

As far as I can see, shooting an invisible spy does not make them appear, contrary to one of the tips that scrolls by.

Hm, I'm not sure about that one. Everytime I've shot a cloaked spy he's shot back, which would de-cloak him anyway. Gonna have to watch that one.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
http://www.pclinuxos.com
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 13:44.

Screenshots
Sep 18, 2007, 13:34
Screenshots Sep 18, 2007, 13:34

For those that want to look, but can't touch...

Lots of screenshots here...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598442

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Crysis, STALKER, Dark Messiah

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group.

No subject
No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:34

Ok, played from 2am my time (when it activated) until 730am. I'm not operating on much sleep right now, so please forgive any slurring in my typing. :-)

I had problems launching it at first... it kept saying it was downloading updates for 1 second, then exit without launching. I got it to run by disabling auto-updates... then it launched fine, and I had no crashes for the entire 5 hours I played.

I really did miss the grenades. The cluster grenade (ie, bundle of dynamite) they showed in the long gameplay video was gone too... there is no 'grenade' key at all, for any class, except for the normal and pipe grenades the demoman uses. I don't mind this, but it did confuse me.

As far as I can see, shooting an invisible spy does not make them appear, contrary to one of the tips that scrolls by.

Other than those two gripes... GOD was it fun. The maps were wonderfully designed. Other people commented about how nice they looked, but what I noticed was how excellently they were designed to avoid confusion... I almost never got lost, despite it being the first time playing on the maps. Of course, the ones based on the old maps were easy, but even the completely new maps were a breeze to navigate. That is HARD to do, VERY hard, so my hats are off to them.

The Medic was a blast to play... running around healing everyone, trying to not die myself, and every now and then rampaging on invincibility. Woot! I also enjoyed my old favorite the demoman a lot.

The Pyro was difficult to play, but I suspect I'll get better. I was standing too far back a lot of the time... like every single flamethrower I've ever seen in a game, it's difficult to judge how far your flames are actually going. You have to be very close for them to hit at all. But if you DO get that close, enemies die VERY fast, just as fast as if I was a heavy.

All the taunts and chatter that the characters do is superb! It really brings them to life. You automatically thank a medic when he heals you, the heavy really does shout just like in the teaser video while spraying his cannon, all the characters talk smack and make quips all the time, without the player having to make them. It's a very chatty game.

The controls were crisp, and the UI excellent, but I expect that from Valve. Nothing really new there. If someone claims they don't know what's going on, I'm gonna be pretty annoyed from now on... there's no excuse anymore, they have a VIDEO for each map that explains it! And, of course, the built-in voice system works great, just like in all their other games.

It is simpler, I admit... I miss concussion grenades in particular. But the balance is wonderful, the design is dreamy, and the maps are tight.

I'm not getting much sleep this week I think.
Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

No subject
Sep 18, 2007, 13:28
No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:28
Sep 18, 2007, 13:28

Not a game for me...just same old. Everyone who always loved TF will love this but I like the open world/battlefield experience more these days.

Sep 18, 2007, 13:23
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:23
Sep 18, 2007, 13:23

Ok, I deleted the local content and re-downloaded the TF2 content. Bang, I'm in!!!

Sep 18, 2007, 13:15
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:15
Sep 18, 2007, 13:15

People who are WAITING to love the game: 1

No subject
Sep 18, 2007, 13:14
No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:14
Sep 18, 2007, 13:14

hmmmm, lets just take a straw poll.

People who think the game sucks: 1
People who are loving the game: Everyone - 1

Sep 18, 2007, 13:08
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2007, 13:08
Sep 18, 2007, 13:08

There is a lot of little things that I really like, I'm going from a tired memory, so I'm sure the following list is incomplete. I'm just glad we won't be needing mod plugins for stats.

- Loading screens with your stats (also accessible from the menu)
- whenever you die you get a snapshot of whomever just killed you, along with some stats.
- Stats tell you if you had a good round, improving on your previous personal bests, etc.
- Taunts, love the taunts! They pull out to a 3rd person camera so you can see your emote anim.
- "Critical Hits"...it's very cartoonish, but I like how you get critical hit messages on screen when you pop someone in the head as a Sniper. I'm sure you can get this from other classes too, but I spent most of what little time I had as a Sniper.

Currently fragging in Team Fortress 2, Crysis, STALKER, Dark Messiah

Re: is a demo planned?
Sep 18, 2007, 12:53
Re: is a demo planned? Sep 18, 2007, 12:53
Sep 18, 2007, 12:53

Pyro seems useless compared to other classes. You have to get VERY close and hit them for a while to kill them, especially up against a class like a heavy.

That's the opposite of my experience, especially in the tighter areas of Well. I see a pyro, I run. I see a Pyro+Medic team, I cry.

---

Sep 18, 2007, 12:38
Re: is a demo planned? Sep 18, 2007, 12:38
Sep 18, 2007, 12:38

I wish people would stop comparing this to TFC. It is NOT A SEQUEL TO TFC. It is a sequel to TF.

On that note, here are my opinions:

-Game is amazing. The style is great and awesome fun. Very fast paced.
-Really really really wish they would have included Rock in the maps, but oh well. Hopefully on release or after.
-Pyro seems useless compared to other classes. You have to get VERY close and hit them for a while to kill them, especially up against a class like a heavy.

Everything else feels just right!

- - - - - - - - - -
Bioshock, Crysis, Quake Wars, HL2:Episode 2/Portal/TF2, Gears of War PC, Unreal Tournament 3... it's going to be a good Q4. :-)
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

Re: I would buy this but...
Sep 18, 2007, 12:34
Re: I would buy this but... Sep 18, 2007, 12:34
Sep 18, 2007, 12:34

Told ya before, give me your login info and I bet I can get your account back with little hassle. What have you got to lose? Not like I'm going to steal your account since you can't login anyways.

Day of Defeat Source and S.T.A.L.K.E.R

I would buy this but...
Sep 18, 2007, 12:22
I would buy this but... Sep 18, 2007, 12:22
Sep 18, 2007, 12:22

.. since I cannot access my Steam account, I cannot give Valve my money.

Sucks to be Valve

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 12:22.

Sep 18, 2007, 12:20
Re: is a demo planned? Sep 18, 2007, 12:20
Sep 18, 2007, 12:20

Join up in the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. Once I figure out how, I'll make some of the regular folks Officers.

Just did. Name is the same as my Xfire one (GreySpire).

On the note of TF2: Awsome in all ways. This is going to be the multiplayer game for me. I should have been asleep 4 hours ago....and I'm still playing!

Surprising part, I've seen a lot of teamwork.

Edit: I don't think there are bots, but the game is very accessible. Valve did a great job with tips and hints.
---
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 12:23.

Sep 18, 2007, 12:19
Re: is a demo planned? Sep 18, 2007, 12:19
Sep 18, 2007, 12:19

It is trying to access the int@rweb, but the launch screen is one of those retarded moments that will not let anthing else have priority (ZA in this case.)

I would just turn on the ZA Game Mode for the first launch, else you can use the command line for windows mode.
Or just turn of ZA for a minute or two.
King Badtz,
Ray

-----
Would you kindly?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.
151 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.