Crysis DirectX 9 & 10 MP Performance

Total Crysis offers an update on how multiplayer will work in Crysis (thanks Voodoo Extreme). A number of topics are covered, including how DirectX 9 servers will be limited compared to DirectX 10 servers, not because of software, but hardware:
DX9 vs. DX10 – The endless question
To shed some light into one of the most discussed topics regarding Crysis multiplayer I would like to explain you the differences between Crysis MP DX9 and DX10.

As for the DX9 version we won’t have physics and day and night cycle in-game. That means you won’t be able to shoot down trees and/or alter any other objects than vehicles on the map. Additionally the time of day setting doesn’t change dynamically. This is caused due to the tremendous server load such physics might cause on crowded gaming servers. Still you will be able to experience maps with different time of day settings since the maps can be altered in the Sandbox2 Editor.

Rather than providing the community partially working features we limit this for the DX10 version only. Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.

Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features.
View : : :
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Sep 14, 2007, 09:12
... Sep 14, 2007, 09:12
Sep 14, 2007, 09:12

I always hear people defending Vista with statements like "if you moan you probably have never used it" or "you need to use it for more than 5 minutes", etc. I preordered Vista and installed it as soon as I got it - I used it for the next two months but in the end went back to XP due to the lack of performance and lack of audio drivers for Vista. The performance was shit and doing anything on the desktop was quite laggy and unnecessarily slow.

Since I bought my 8800GTS and upgraded to dual-core I am back to Vista but even though I'm using it as my default OS now the performance is still far from great. It's not as snappy on the desktop as XP, games run noticeably slower (CS Source benchmarks nearly 20fps slower and Bioshock is visibily slower)... however, with DX10 features becoming more popular there seems little point me moving back to XP fulltime.

So, from a performance point of view Vista is pretty poor. That may change with SP1 but there is no guarantee. Still, it's a decent OS and I prefer using it for all the features (like being able to backup my computer without installing Norton Ghost). I've accepted the slowdown for convenience in other areas. However, things like this move from Crytek don't please me even though I'll be able to run it - this move strikes me as unnecessary and it sounds like they've received a nice fat cheque from Microsoft.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: No subject
Sep 14, 2007, 09:02
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 09:02
Sep 14, 2007, 09:02

Just off topic for 1 second I need your opinion please:

Ladies and gentlemen I just want to go OFF TOPIC for just one second because I want the bluesnews communities opinion of a dilemma I have and I value your opinion very much in this situation as most of you are harsh and very opinionated all across the spectrum and I want to see if what I am suggesting makes since to most of you as a consensus or if I may be making the wrong choice. I am getting a decent machine in a few months. It will have quad core, it will have 3 to 4 gig of ram, it will have vista and xp, it will have the largest raptor drive at that time (currrently 150 gb) it will have the evga motherboard for SLI capability, it will have a full tower case to fit the mammotth 8800 card(s), it will have the artic cooler for the cpu and lots of great airflow to keep the heat out and will have a xfi soundcard etc etc.....however my problem seems to be that there is no second generation of nvidia(who i believe to be the top dogs at the moment) direct x 10 card so I am just going to get a 8800 gtx potentially factory overclocked(as ultra seems much more costly for very little gain).

MY ISSUE AT HAND: I was going to get the samsung 244t 24" lcd as my monitor (I have a 19" crt now) and therefore since it does 1920 x 1200 natively, I thought for older games like oblivion and older I may be able to slide with MAX settings at that resolution with a decent framerate, but newer games like bioshock and crysis and the next year or two probably will not be able to go that high of rez at high setting with 1 8800 gtx and therefore I was going to get 2 gtx for SLI mode to compensate. But I am hearing of HUGE sli incompatabilites, problems, and flat out not supported on a lot of the current games, for example rainbow six las vegas which used UE 3.0, which bioshock uses and many games will use. SO........

Are these problems getting fixed for SLI?? or is SLI a complete flop and not worth it?????

and if so.....

What is my BEST LCD size that has and what is its native resolution that should be able to run on max settings for now and future games in the next year or two with ONE SINGLE GTX???????

Sep 14, 2007, 08:24
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 08:24
Sep 14, 2007, 08:24

Are you guys thinking that DX9 Crysis will look like shit?

I mean the explanation wasn't full enough for my tastes, but most of you should have known their was going to be extras in the DX10 path. Why would Crytek make a DX10 path and not put extras in it over DX9, would make DX10 look worthless and a waste of time?
I knew this was going to happen, I even called a week ago in a forum saying that their enhanced physics was going to be held off for DX10, it was a guess, but an educated one.

Now when one version has falling trees and different assets effected by physics and the other doesn't, you can't do MP together properly with versions that can't exactly duplicate scenes, that is common sense. It should have been explained that way.

I'm a bit suprised their was no mention of multicores for physics, since their physics thread is multithreaded and physics is primarily CPU based regardless of the GPU rendering it. I also thought some of that enhanced physics was going to be requiring multicore. But they probably didn't want another level of seperation between versions. Oh well.

Sep 14, 2007, 08:23
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 08:23
Sep 14, 2007, 08:23

My DX9 card (radeon x1950xtx) is faster than all other video cards on the PLANET except the 8800GT(S/X) and the 8800 Ultra. My CPU isn't the fastest but its no slouch either (Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8GHz) Is Crytek really telling me that someone with a 128MB 8400GT that is 4x slower than my card and whatever cheap ass CPU they have, will be able to show physics and day/night cycles on DX10 servers? Ridiculous!

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 08:25.

Sep 14, 2007, 08:00
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 08:00
Sep 14, 2007, 08:00

This is about change & change is good. Most of you don't realize this but these kinds of games where high-end hardware is required is not something new

Nice contradiction there :-)

But who is the smarter one here? The guy that spends 250% more on his computer and computer games because he buys them brand new, or me, who will wait 6 months to a year

This isn't about intelligence, or lack thereof; paying a premium to have something sooner is about choice. And to those out there who are a lot more passionate about their gaming than clearly you are about yours, it's not an altogether difficult decision atall.

?
Sep 14, 2007, 07:43
? Sep 14, 2007, 07:43
Sep 14, 2007, 07:43

Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Watch for flying debris.
--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Sep 14, 2007, 06:40
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 06:40
Sep 14, 2007, 06:40

This is about change & change is good. Most of you don't realize this but these kinds of games where high-end hardware is required is not something new. In the mid and late 90's we were building new machines every 6 months to keep up.

But, it doesn't really matter to me at all because I plan on playing with DirectX 10 & playing XP. How? First, I will continue to use XP as my operating system and keep my not so powerful machine for awhile longer while things settle in the Vista world of expensive hardware and software. Then, after I can buy Crysis for $20 off ebay, then I'll upgrade my machine for a lot less than I can right now and get the game for less than 1/2 price too.

By then you guys will be talking about some new and really awesome game that you'll be paying retail for & buying new hardware for & I salute you. Your hard-earned money and well made computer systems are something that I'll enjoy just as long as you will. But who is the smarter one here? The guy that spends 250% more on his computer and computer games because he buys them brand new, or me, who will wait 6 months to a year. It will still be there for me. It won't be new, but it will be new to me then. In the meantime, I'll buy some nice used golf clubs with all that money I saved, maybe a fishing pole, or a keyboard, a compound bow, or extra gas for an extra camping trip. Who's smarter? Makes you wonder.

Another thing. You guys are all hot & bothered under the collar crazy insane mad when something comes out that should have been better patched to begin with. You'll yell and scream. And me, by the time I buy it the point release patch is out and every thing is smooth as glass.

Well, see ya later. Wouldn't wanna be ya.

Sep 14, 2007, 05:59
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 05:59
Sep 14, 2007, 05:59

after having a good friend with a 360 since launch, and despite some minor issues, I've been having so much more fun just being able to jump into a game without having to patch, then search forums for a separate fix to make the game playable, then read a guide because the devs screwed up an important game mechanic or quest, then deal with crappy MP (GameSpy, suck mah balls), I'm about done.

Now, that's an interesting thing to say. I'm starting to wonder if MS is deliberately trying to nerf the Windows experience for consumers in order to get people to move to Xbox 360. Pc users are kind of a tough crowd to please, they want to be able to do all kinds of things to their systems, and cry foul when you push secret updates to their OS's... Modern consoles certainly have the power to handle just about any home user tasks, they're easier to use because they let the user mess around with the system less, and the userbase doesn't mind so much that the console manufacturer has a lot of control over their devices. The push on the PC front seems to be to make them just another appliance with very little user fiddling required, so why not just make home computers out of the consoles?

Sep 14, 2007, 04:51
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 04:51
Sep 14, 2007, 04:51

When Windows XP was released is irrelevant as it was still bundled with all consumer PC's until this year, and even today PC's with Windows XP installed instead of Vista are still sold. In addition XP's development has certainly not stood still for six years, so it is not just the same OS it was when it was released

When you bought xp also happens to be irrelevant. It's not like any of us pay for it's continual development. If it were a game, they'd call it an MMO and make you pay by the month.

There are two sides to the coin though, of course. I realise the whole deal with dx10 being Vista only stinks. It was obviously done to force gamers to upgrade to an OS that just ain't worth upgrading to right now. Despite picking up Vista on release day, I had XP back on my dual core machine inside of a couple of months later.

Money does make the world go round though, and it's not unreasonable to expect consumers to have to upgrade every 6 or so years.

No subject
Sep 14, 2007, 04:37
No subject Sep 14, 2007, 04:37
Sep 14, 2007, 04:37

If you want to continue to use DX9 and bitch about DX10 and Vista go ahead, where is it getting you?

It's getting me in line to buy a PS3. About the time my PC is relegated to surfing the web and maybe the odd MMO, the PS3 should be just hitting it's stride, as well as substantially cheaper. I can see no reason to maintain a gaming PC at 2 or 3 times the cost of a console, its just foolish. And there's not a chance I'll get an Xbox, Microsoft created this mess on purpose, they can hang.

DX10 cards and DX9 cards
Sep 14, 2007, 04:36
DX10 cards and DX9 cards Sep 14, 2007, 04:36
Sep 14, 2007, 04:36

Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.
so a roughtly-integrated-performance-like nvidia 7100gs will be able to play the dx10 settings, while an ati x1950 pro would not be "strong" enough as the 7100gs?

this is retarded. like some other poster mentioned, the obvious decision would be to provide a setting, so that the user will know if their pc is powerful enough.

Sep 14, 2007, 04:18
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 04:18
Sep 14, 2007, 04:18

Re: Vista/DX10
Sep 14, 2007, 02:28
Re: Vista/DX10 Sep 14, 2007, 02:28
Sep 14, 2007, 02:28

The Vista hate could be in part because of that need for improvement. I like XP as it is now - extremely stable and functional for anything I try to run. Hence, I'm not in a hurry to drop a bunch of money on a new OS that is not yet as stable. I think people will be more receptive to Vista once it gets over the SP1 hump. I think I've had one BSOD in the entire time I've used XP and that's just great by me. Vista on the other hand... it's not meshing well with City of Heroes, for example, and I play that a lot so upgrading to Vista now is just going to make me angry more often. When it's more stable, sure, it'll be more appealing.

NAAAARF!

Pretend violence is the gravest threat facing Americans today.

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Sep 14, 2007, 02:27
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 02:27
Sep 14, 2007, 02:27

MoH: Airborne - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=683&p=4

Bioshock - http://firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_performance/page5.asp

World in Conflict - http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=739&Itemid=56&limit=1&limitstart=4

its really game dependent right now, but its getting better. its not the hit we where seeing with the 1st gen of dx10 games (ie company of heroes, lost planet) its getting better but not quite there yet.

Sep 14, 2007, 02:23
>U
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 02:23
>U

Incidentally, when was XP released again? 2002? 2001? What with it being over 5 years at least, I don't actually think Microsoft are asking for too much.
When Windows XP was released is irrelevant as it was still bundled with all consumer PC's until this year, and even today PC's with Windows XP installed instead of Vista are still sold. In addition XP's development has certainly not stood still for six years, so it is not just the same OS it was when it was released.

Microsoft is asking too much by expecting consumers to purchase Vista to replace their current OS simply to run DirectX 10 games.

Flo

Re: Vista/DX10 Sep 14, 2007, 02:23
 Flo

Yea Vista is good when you put everything back to Windows XP style and even then it's a memory hog.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 02:23.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Sep 14, 2007, 02:20
S2M
Re: Vista/DX10 Sep 14, 2007, 02:20
Sep 14, 2007, 02:20
S2M

Vista has run great for me, same with the DX10 Hardware.

I'm really not sure what all the whining is about, most likely the sheep mentality. "I hear vista sucks", "I will be cool if I slam Vista every chance I get".

I think for most that if you go in with an open mind you will find it a pleasant operating system to use. Its by no means perfect but its good and its being improved.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 02:20.
The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

Sep 14, 2007, 02:15
Flo

Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 02:15
Sep 14, 2007, 02:15
 Flo

Hmm okay, Crysis' Multiplayer is dead before the game was even released.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Sep 14, 2007, 01:48
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 01:48
Sep 14, 2007, 01:48

Herb can you please post links to some benchmarks where DX10 is same or faster ?
If is infact true then this will make a lot of people happy.

What ever happened to 64 bit?

madness
Sep 14, 2007, 01:21
Kxmode

madness Sep 14, 2007, 01:21
Sep 14, 2007, 01:21
 Kxmode

Crytek is going to be in a world of hurt when this games launches. Seriously these guys are setting themselves up for the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Lost Inner" HITMAN tribute track posted (9/8)
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older