Crysis DirectX 9 & 10 MP Performance

Total Crysis offers an update on how multiplayer will work in Crysis (thanks Voodoo Extreme). A number of topics are covered, including how DirectX 9 servers will be limited compared to DirectX 10 servers, not because of software, but hardware:
DX9 vs. DX10 – The endless question
To shed some light into one of the most discussed topics regarding Crysis multiplayer I would like to explain you the differences between Crysis MP DX9 and DX10.

As for the DX9 version we won’t have physics and day and night cycle in-game. That means you won’t be able to shoot down trees and/or alter any other objects than vehicles on the map. Additionally the time of day setting doesn’t change dynamically. This is caused due to the tremendous server load such physics might cause on crowded gaming servers. Still you will be able to experience maps with different time of day settings since the maps can be altered in the Sandbox2 Editor.

Rather than providing the community partially working features we limit this for the DX10 version only. Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.

Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features.
View : : :
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 23:03
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 23:03
Sep 13, 2007, 23:03

I tried it on my brand new Dell H2c 710 and 90% of my software did'nt work (even those with 'patches') it was slow, clunky..I guess my duel Gtx8800's weren't up to the task either.

No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 23:02
No subject Sep 13, 2007, 23:02
Sep 13, 2007, 23:02

That's total BS whether you realize it or not, you could have a half-ass system running shitsta and a crappy 10x card, yet you according to this article could play on the dx10 servers,

You are however correct that it's not JUST m$ this time crytek are notorious for shitty assed decisions that screw gamers, maybe not as many as m$ but crytek has only been around for a couple of years compared to m$, so just give them time.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Sep 13, 2007, 23:01
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 23:01
Sep 13, 2007, 23:01

vista is fine, have you even tried it?

the only people i hear bitching about vista either a). haven't tried it or b), tried it with 5 year old hardware.

Sep 13, 2007, 23:00
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 23:00
Sep 13, 2007, 23:00

Um, what exactly does the client graphics have to do with server load? Fewer people will have DX10 cards so the server will have less people!?!?

To put it more simply than it actually is, picture a situation where you mow down the cover where the enemy is. In the DX10 version that's possible, and it's going to require that everyone on the server is able to react to that situation like the cover is mown down.

Wouldn't really be fair to DX9 users who can't see that the terrain has been altered.

Sep 13, 2007, 22:39
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 22:39

Um, what exactly does the client graphics have to do with server load? Fewer people will have DX10 cards so the server will have less people!?!?

Edit: With the extra overhead of DX10 and Vista, there's still no guarantee server performance is going to be better even if it's more likely that DX10 people will have newer systems (or at least newer video cards). I don't believe DX9 servers are going to have more server performance problems than DX10. It's probably going to be the opposite. Besides ping is still king.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 22:46.

Exe
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 22:39
Exe

Not Microsofts fault in this case. Read it again. What they are saying is that Directx 10 enabled games guarantee that your system meets specific high end requirements that can handle the load. If you have directx 9 your hardware may not be able to handle the load. As such this is not a Directx 9 limitation, but rather the company is using directx as a indicator for your machines capability and giving the higher machines a full featured playground free of lower end machines that may not be able to handle the load.

This really has nothing to do with DirectX Version limitations...

What's unfortunate is that there isn't a better way to implement this reliably... In all fairness, games that upload your system specs are usually met with consumer bitching about spy ware so making the limitation via directx is understandable.

No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 22:29
No subject Sep 13, 2007, 22:29
Sep 13, 2007, 22:29

Ghey..

I have an 8800gtx KO series and id just like to say FU Microsuck for forcing gamers to buy your pos, unfinished OS in order to play games that actually take advantage of todays hardware.

You care about gamers? lol. you care about money, money and more money you greedy fat bastards.

/die Bill.)

107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older