FASA Closes

The Official Shadowrun Community Forum has news that FASA Studio has closed down (thanks Shacknews), after valiantly supporting Shadowrun to the bitter end:
Dear Friends,

It is my sad duty to announce that FASA Studio has officially closed its doors. Today was the official last day of employment for those of us who had not moved on to other positions within Microsoft Game Studios. While the rumors have been circulating forever, we chose to wait on an official announcement because we didn’t want people’s attention distracted from our last product, Shadowrun, a game we love.

As a testament to the team's commitment to Shadowrun, we released three title updates to improve the product even after the team learned we were losing our studio. We have kept our Community Manager and Technical Support Manager on the job to aid and support you and will continue to do so while people continue to play our game. I am pleased that about half of us have found great positions elsewhere in MGS and Microsoft where they can share their experience and passion with the great people there.

But now, as the last of us say our goodbyes to each other, I’m saying goodbye to you on behalf of a group of talented and dedicated professionals who busted their humps for the love of the game. I am proud to have worked with and represented them to you and know that wherever they go, they will continue to kick ass.

Mitch
View : : :
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Games we'll never see again
Sep 17, 2007, 21:11
Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 17, 2007, 21:11
Sep 17, 2007, 21:11

"Ultima
Ultima Underworld
Wing Commander
System Shock
Bioforge
Crusader
Privateer "

You know a lot of communities have put out apps to run these in their original and better forms.
I've been playing Ultima 7 in 2xsai, and super eagle in high resolution.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/index.php

You just need the originals

Re: No subject
Sep 16, 2007, 20:43
Re: No subject Sep 16, 2007, 20:43
Sep 16, 2007, 20:43

Honestly I still hold out hope that Bungie will make another Oni game

A new Oni would be tits.

Sep 14, 2007, 02:40
Re: No subject Sep 14, 2007, 02:40
Sep 14, 2007, 02:40

Thing is, I really don't mind. Consoles are getting more and more PC-like anyway. all we really need is the ability to make mods and more support for mouse/keyboard and continuing support for backward compatibility and we'll be golden. maybe some more independent developer support too.
I don't see the mod or indie dev things happening anytime soon. The console makers want to keep a stranglehold on anything that gets onto those boxes. It has to go through them, and usually you'll have to pay for it unless the developer has enough clout to get around that. Only official mods will be allowed, and indie devs will probably have to pay through the nose to get their stuff offered for download. Consoles just have a very different business model than PCs.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Re: Mechs
Sep 14, 2007, 02:37
Re: Mechs Sep 14, 2007, 02:37
Sep 14, 2007, 02:37

Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior2 were cool because they felt and looked a lot like simulators. The later games I played seemed more like shooters with mechs.
I didn't like MW3 much, but I think that MW4/Mercs got better again.
A 'spiritual successor' a la Bioshock as someone mentioned earlier, could be excellent even without the FASA license.
Not sure what the future will be for MW, but I'd be happy if someone would make another Heavy Gear game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

No subject
Sep 14, 2007, 00:11
No subject Sep 14, 2007, 00:11
Sep 14, 2007, 00:11

Really, I think DX10 and Games For Windows is just a scam to kill off PC gaming. They'd rather just collect royalties on Xbox games.

Bingo! Why develop games for two platforms that already sorta similar when you only have to develop for one.

Thing is, I really don't mind. Consoles are getting more and more PC-like anyway. all we really need is the ability to make mods and more support for mouse/keyboard and continuing support for backward compatibility and we'll be golden. maybe some more independent developer support too.

but the PC gaming industry has been digging its own grave for a while now. overly expensive video cards and physics cards. games that focus more and more on graphics when we really don't fucking need cutting edge graphics. we need GOOD GAMES, fuck graphics, right in its ear.

Mechs
Sep 13, 2007, 23:55
Mechs Sep 13, 2007, 23:55
Sep 13, 2007, 23:55

Mechwarrior sort of lost me after the second one. I didn't play enough of the others to really pass judgement, but it seemed to me they started to lose depth.

Mechwarrior and Mechwarrior2 were cool because they felt and looked a lot like simulators. The later games I played seemed more like shooters with mechs.

All that being said, I think you could make a pretty impressive mech-combat game without a license. Nobody owns the rights to giant-killer-biped-tanks in general. A 'spiritual successor' a la Bioshock as someone mentioned earlier, could be excellent even without the FASA license.

It's a shame these guys lost their jobs, but hopefully they'll find new, better ones. I didn't follow the goings on for the most part, but the studio closing came as no surprise.

Really, I think DX10 and Games For Windows is just a scam to kill off PC gaming. They'd rather just collect royalties on Xbox games.

Oh well, I hope they fail.

Love,
Aero

Sep 13, 2007, 21:43
Kxmode

Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 21:43
Sep 13, 2007, 21:43
 Kxmode

is gonna buy up Freespace

Nice word play

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Lost Inner" HITMAN tribute track posted (9/8)
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Does this mean...
Sep 13, 2007, 19:36
Re: Does this mean... Sep 13, 2007, 19:36
Sep 13, 2007, 19:36

Yeah Derek, FASA was solely responsible for stopping all PC game making and making Crimson Skies and Mech Warrior games only for the Xbox.

Which is really sad considering how active the MechWarrior community is, and how much they have added to Mech 4.

Honestly I still hold out hope that Bungie will make another Oni game

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 19:38.

Sep 13, 2007, 19:07
Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 19:07
Sep 13, 2007, 19:07

I miss a lot of those Origin (or Origin-related) games:

Ultima
Ultima Underworld
Wing Commander
System Shock
Bioforge
Crusader
Privateer

It would be fun to see updates to older games, too: Magic Carpet, Terra Nova, Duke Nukem 3D :o, numerous adventure games, etc.
We so need a new Shadow Warrior.
Wishing current day games tried for more,
Ray

-----
Would you kindly?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Sep 13, 2007, 18:59
PHJF

Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 18:59
Sep 13, 2007, 18:59
 PHJF

Haven't you heard??? Derek Smart is gonna buy up Freespace and make a SEQUEL!
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Sep 13, 2007, 18:38
Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 18:38
Sep 13, 2007, 18:38

Most of their games were crap anyways

Sep 13, 2007, 16:32
nin

Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 16:32
Sep 13, 2007, 16:32
 nin

Any other favorites with gameplay that people miss?

Freespace
Wing Commander
X-Wing

Aw, man...why ya gotta go there?

Poor, poor Freespace. Never got the love it deserved...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Sep 13, 2007, 16:14
Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 16:14
Sep 13, 2007, 16:14

Ultima *sniff*

And NO, MMO does not count. That's a 3D chat, not a RPG!

Sep 13, 2007, 15:51
Re: Games we'll never see again Sep 13, 2007, 15:51
Sep 13, 2007, 15:51

The Dungeon Keeper series
The Myth series
The Mechwarrior series

Freespace
Wing Commander
X-Wing

ROTFLMAO
Sep 13, 2007, 14:51
ROTFLMAO Sep 13, 2007, 14:51
Sep 13, 2007, 14:51

Their first and only mistake was working for microsoft, LOL.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 12:38
No subject Sep 13, 2007, 12:38
Sep 13, 2007, 12:38

This is just another example of how the games that a lot of use grew up on or were introduced to gaming with are simply not being made anymore and maybe never will be.

FASA games were always about making choices, and having advantages and drawbacks to everything. Wanted to load up a mech with nothing but PPC's? Sure go ahead, but you have to worry about overheating. Want to load a mech up with nothing but AC20's? sure go ahead, but you're going to have ammunition issues. Want to go fast? fine, but your armor may be thin or you may not be able to carry lots of weapons.

You have to think, you had to calculate, you had to have a strategy, you had to have a tactic that maximized your strengths and minimized your weaknesses. Oh and if economics played a part? forget that, because then you may not be able to afford that 100 tone munchkin clan-tech Diashi can't have that now can we?

In today's world? fuck that, thinking makes my brain hurt. I just want to mash some buttons and be rewarded with pretty graphics.

Sep 13, 2007, 12:19
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 12:19
Sep 13, 2007, 12:19

Even when you get it all right, the odds of it being a success are still stacked because at the end of the day, its down to the finicky gamers.

If this is the case why gamble on mech assault or what ever that Xbox version was called?
The original Mech worrior games had a cult. At least that is the impression I've always had.

Oh thats easy. Its called market demand. Neither made enough money to warrant sequels. If a game makes money, trust me, the suits will run to milk it dry before sun up. Look at Crackdown. Nobody expected it to be a hit. But by the time the suits at MS figured this out and got the ball rolling, the devs had already moved on to [hopefully] better things. So, Crackdown2 will probably still happen but from a different studio, who - we hope - won't bastardize it on cue.

Not even Activision wants to do a mech game. Heavy Gear was a pretty good series.

On the console side, it didn't help that the only Mech game worth playing (a) didn't sell well (b) required a monstrous peripheral to play it.

My guess is, if you want some Mech lovin', either install your old favorites in DOS-Box in WinXP, install a virtual machine or subscribe to GameTap (assuming they even have them on license).

Sometimes, I have to tell you, I hate being in the business. More often than not, you're damned if you do and pretty much f*cked if you don't.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 12:21.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 12:11
No subject Sep 13, 2007, 12:11
Sep 13, 2007, 12:11

This is what happens when game developers get told what to do by men in suits. MS decided to use Shadowrun to sell Vista and their pay-to-play service, the same way they used Halo to sell the XBox.

Any gamer could have told these guys that there was no way this strategy was gonna work. They didn't think and didn't listen, and the result was a disaster. Way to go.

Kittens!

No subject
Sep 13, 2007, 12:10
No subject Sep 13, 2007, 12:10
Sep 13, 2007, 12:10

It's far easier to ignore a message board full of angry users than a bunch of employees you work with every day.

That's the problem now that games have become more mainstream, since you have a much bigger audience, the percentage of people you have please gets way lower, just as long as its enough to make a profit. who cares about that vocal niche of players like us who can't stand the continual dumbing down of the franchises we loved.

Sep 13, 2007, 11:47
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 11:47
Sep 13, 2007, 11:47

This could just be a move to consolidate and when they do eventually make another Btech/Shadowrun game, there won't be anyone to complain that its not faithful to the source.
Internally maybe. But just like with SR, the sound of crickets when it gets released is all the complaining they need to hear. Although the months of angry posts on their forums and everywhere else should be a hint too, but we've already seen how well they take those hints.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older