Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Demo Next Week

The Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Forums now offer an official release date for the demo for Splash Damage's upcoming teamplay shooter (thanks Woody), saying the demo is due next Monday: "The Windows PC demo is going to be released on September 10, 2007."
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Nay Nay
Sep 6, 2007, 08:23
Re: Nay Nay Sep 6, 2007, 08:23
Sep 6, 2007, 08:23

LordLaggart

It seems that everyone these days likes to nay say. I played alot of WolfET and loved that game. I have never been better at any other game.

I am still a big Wolf:ET player, and I love that game. Unfortunately ET:QW is nothing like WOlf:ET at all really, barring the fact that they have the same classes. I played through Beta 1 and Beta 2 until there weren't any non-bot servers with less than a 120 ping that were populated, and no matter how much I tried to like ET:QW it just has too many problems. Even though SD had said time and time again that ET:QW would feel like Wolf:ET in the quake universe; it just doesn't.

I'll try out the demo to see what all improvements they were actually able to get in there from beta 2, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Some of the most unresponsive controls of any FPS that I have ever played.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 08:24.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Nay Nay
Sep 5, 2007, 21:34
Nay Nay Sep 5, 2007, 21:34
Sep 5, 2007, 21:34

It seems that everyone these days likes to nay say. I played alot of WolfET and loved that game. I have never been better at any other game. I'm really looking forward to trying out the demo, and was dissapointed with the beta release not being available to everyone. It should be a good game, it does have a lot to live up to. I hope that when the demo comes out that the people who rag on everything will be silenced.

Re: yuk
Sep 5, 2007, 04:30
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 04:30
Sep 5, 2007, 04:30

I would still say graphic wise, the only gain Quake Wars has over BF2/2142 is the view distance. Granted there is 50 shaders on all the vehicle cockpits in Quake Wars.

And after playing the Call of Duty 4 360 Multiplayer, Quake Wars feels 'off'. Not sure how to explain it, but they are going for a squad based more tatical sort of game, but at the end of the day it's Quake 3 with squads and some vehicles thrown in.

I can appreciate what they are trying to do with Quake Wars, but in the end I honestly think that when you compair it to other games already released or to be released by the end of the year it's not going to stack up.

Sep 5, 2007, 03:11
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 03:11
Sep 5, 2007, 03:11

No...they are not. This game looks like it was made in 1999.

Sorry, I think I know what my graphics look like more than you do. Would you kindly not tell me what I'm supposed to think.

Re: Teamplay or no teamplay!
Sep 5, 2007, 02:50
Re: Teamplay or no teamplay! Sep 5, 2007, 02:50
Sep 5, 2007, 02:50

like i said my gfx are maxed out and at a high res they just look strange :S

i think you are right though, clan players will love this game - but casual gamers kinda get a raw deal

...grow up, greedy games industry.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:37
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 01:37
Sep 5, 2007, 01:37

BF2142 is a different engine. ARe you really that naive?

Teamplay or no teamplay!
Sep 5, 2007, 01:21
Teamplay or no teamplay! Sep 5, 2007, 01:21
Sep 5, 2007, 01:21

Graphics are fine! And will get even better! It will depend on your system from now on!

As I mentioned that this is a team based game, so in order to win you need to co-ordinate your movements or it will be a slaughter match were everyone dies so easily!

Even in Battlefield1,2,2k14! If you go alone, you will not win! If you joined a Voice squad, and play as a team, you will not just raise the chance to win, but the fun part will max out!

To sum things up :

Only Buy the game if you have a CLAN! (TeamSpeak clan too :P)

http://m2.doubleclick.net/1037299/PID_51447_ea_bo4_728x90__UGO_40k.gif
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 01:21.

Sep 5, 2007, 00:07
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 00:07
Sep 5, 2007, 00:07

The thing they did with the graphics is to make the game playable for more than 8 people at a time. That's what happened to the graphics.

Strange then that BF2142 supports up to 64 players with better graphics.

Sep 5, 2007, 00:06
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 00:06
Sep 5, 2007, 00:06

No...they are not. This game looks like it was made in 1999.

Sep 5, 2007, 00:00
Re: yuk Sep 5, 2007, 00:00
Sep 5, 2007, 00:00

My graphics look a fuckload better than Doom3.

Sep 4, 2007, 22:59
Re: yuk Sep 4, 2007, 22:59
Sep 4, 2007, 22:59

The thing they did with the graphics is to make the game playable for more than 8 people at a time. That's what happened to the graphics.

yuk
Sep 4, 2007, 22:49
yuk Sep 4, 2007, 22:49
Sep 4, 2007, 22:49

might give the demo a shot, perhaps it can win me over again, but the beta test was so horrible, everything looks like its made out of stone/rock if you get too close (everything max details 1680x1050) the gfx in doom 3 were a million times better - splash damage have done something seriously wrong with the gfx.
the feel of the entire game is completely wrong
don't get me started on the gameplay lol

no co-op = no purchase

gah...
Sep 4, 2007, 21:57
gah... Sep 4, 2007, 21:57
Sep 4, 2007, 21:57

The movement in Beta 2 still feels spongey at best, and compared to the Q1, Q2, and Q3 engine games the controls are still somewhat unresponsive.

ET:QW tries its damnedest to feel like Wolf:ET in the Quake universe but it just doesn't get it.

I really hope that they spent several hours revamping the netcode and the hit detection or there are going to be so many 'WTF' moments that the community site is going to have to shut down from all of the "feedback".
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: ...
Sep 4, 2007, 20:56
Re: ... Sep 4, 2007, 20:56
Sep 4, 2007, 20:56

I'm interested in ET: QW, but I'm still concerned that it's going to have an enormous learning curve.

The learning curve is big but manageable. Once you learn the mechanics and adjust to the pacing of the game, you should be fine. This isn't like Tribes where a significant part of the learning curve was practicing jetpacking and skiing to the point that you could do both proficiently. Rather, you just need to learn the mechanics (i.e. Field Ops deploy ammopacks for their teammates, Strogg Technicians can create one time forward spawn points by "using" enemy corpses, etc.) and you're good to go.

The following website is really handy if you want to get a headstart on learning the mechanics:

http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/index.php

It sounds like this might be more tactical than a complete twitch-fest

In terms of a team winning a game this is very true, but it is important to note that if you get in a close range one on one fight with another player, it is very much a matter of who has the better twitch skills. As a result, it's generally a good idea to avoid close range battles unless your DM skills are up to snuff. Better to sidestep a concentration of enemy troops and hit them from the rear or call in an airstrike on them or something. Either that or only rush into close combat if you've got teammates backing you up.

Sep 4, 2007, 20:42
Re: ... Sep 4, 2007, 20:42
Sep 4, 2007, 20:42

SMA, thanks for that bit of lucid analysis. I'm interested in ET: QW, but I'm still concerned that it's going to have an enormous learning curve.

Even "simple" games like Halo 2 are incredibly frustrating when you play for 35 mins and die 50+ times (yeah, I suck with a console controller)...

It sounds like this might be more tactical than a complete twitch-fest, so I can see it being reasonably okay to get into, provided I'm "smart" about how I play. Given that the last online FPS I played was HL2DM, I think it might be time to brush up my skills a bit

Sep 4, 2007, 19:47
Re: ... Sep 4, 2007, 19:47
Sep 4, 2007, 19:47

Haven't played this game, MIGHT try the demo but am skeptical and not expecting much. I think there's been one positive comment around here to every 50 or so negative ones. If it was a good game, the ratio would be more like 1:5 or 1:10.

Definitely try the demo. I have not understood why people have been so negative with regard to Quake Wars as I have played it almost every day this summer and have absolutely loved it. If the demo improves upon Beta 2 to the same degree that Beta 2 improved upon Beta 1, then it ought to be one very solid game as well.

As for all the people complaining I suspect most of them played for a half-hour on pre-patch Beta 1. The initial release of Beta 1 was very, very rough. Couple that with a significant learning curve and punishing combat and I suspect most of the complainers gave up before really learning the ins and outs of the game. If you don't understand the mechanics of the game such as the roles of the various classes, you really aren't getting a clear picture of what the game has to offer. Likewise the sheer amount of stuff going on is liable to leave a newb completely bewildered as to what it is they are supposed to be doing or how to use their class's abilities.

As for mechanics not matching the game speed, those people aren't playing the game right. If you just berserker charge the objective, you'll get there really fast and die even faster. It will seem as if death comes so fast that you can't make use of any of the games tactical features. Then you'll go complain on message boards that there's no point to any of the teamwork and tactics oriented features because you respawn, enter combat and die so fast. Again, such a person is playing the game wrong. It would be like being upset that your Quake deathmatch skills don't work in pre-Lockdown Rainbow Six. The way the game is meant to be played is much more methodically. Engage the enemy at the maximum effective range of your weapon and you'll start realizing that those previously "useless" iron sights and stances come in real handy; you'll also discover that you tend to live a heck of a lot longer and get a lot more kills per spawn, too. Hang back a moment and get a scope on the situation before charging into the maelstrom. Where as before it seemed like all this explosive spam was coming from everywhere, now you'll see where that "spam" is coming from (i.e. deployables, field ops calling in artillery) and can take steps to either avoid or disable it. Suddenly you'll realize how frickin useful it is to have radar up, because now you can do stuff like prep a grenade and toss it into an attackers face right as the round the bend. With the realization that radar is absolutely essential, you also realize the value of disabling enemy radar and perhaps sneak into the enemy rear to destroy or disable it.

I could keep going for a while but the point is that the game is very, very deep and that depth won't manifest itself during your first 30 minutes of play, especially if you never played W:ET. So I'd say ignore the complainers, download the demo, and give it a shot before dismissing the game outright.

Sep 4, 2007, 19:42
Re: ... Sep 4, 2007, 19:42
Sep 4, 2007, 19:42

I bet that a lot of us old school gamers will see Tribes-like action and settings there.. but it won't quite reach that plateau.

I didn't see any Tribes-like action in the beta. I always felt firmly planted on the ground, plodding around at about 5 MPH.

Re: why?
Sep 4, 2007, 19:22
Jod
Re: why? Sep 4, 2007, 19:22
Sep 4, 2007, 19:22
Jod

The movement and weapons felt very odd/strange/wrong in the 1st beta. Hopefully the demo will have addressed this very basic qualification for high levels of "funfactor."

why?
Sep 4, 2007, 19:17
why? Sep 4, 2007, 19:17
Sep 4, 2007, 19:17

I don't understand the QW haters out there. I play BF2/2142 and QW and I enjoy them both. OMG, a business trying to create interest its product, those SELLOUTS!

I like it I got the cash I'm gonna buy it.

Sep 4, 2007, 19:14
Tom
Re: ... Sep 4, 2007, 19:14
Sep 4, 2007, 19:14
Tom

Sewer is the crate of map settings.

Haven't played this game, MIGHT try the demo but am skeptical and not expecting much. I think there's been one positive comment around here to every 50 or so negative ones. If it was a good game, the ratio would be more like 1:5 or 1:10.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older