Red Orchestra Free Play Today

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is slated to receive the promised (story) summer update today, among other things adding a new map and new vehicle to the World War II shooter (thanks C.J.). This paves the way for a free play event for the game that should kick off at Noon Eastern time today and run through midday on Monday. Details on the free event can be found on the Steam website. A full changelog for the new patch is located in the Red Orchestra Forums.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Good Game
Aug 30, 2007, 19:13
Good Game Aug 30, 2007, 19:13
Aug 30, 2007, 19:13

I bought it off Ebay for 3 bucks. I almost paid more for shipping!

Re: No subject
Aug 30, 2007, 13:21
Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 13:21
Aug 30, 2007, 13:21

Right behind games that are 5+ years old, and right ahead of every other game released in the past couple of years except BF2142. Ahead of several high budget AAA titles included FEAR (which they give the multiplayer away for free), SWAT4 (made by the same company that made Bioshock), LOTR Battle For Middle Earth 2, C&C3, Star Wars Battlefront 2, ARMA. The game averages 1200-1400 poeple online AT ONE TIME. Now unless those same 1200 poeple play RO 24/7, that means there are WAY more than "about 1200 players per day". To even average 1200 players online at one time, you have to have ten times that many individual users play every single day - because most poeple just play for an hour or two and get off.

At any given time a day there are between 50-100 populated RO servers. And that is during a non-free week period. So like I said, you don't have to like the game, but you can't pretend it isn't popular by lieing about how many poeple play it.

Aug 30, 2007, 12:29
Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 12:29
Aug 30, 2007, 12:29

Right behind other games that are 5+ years old...congrats Ostfront!

Yeah, with giants like EA and..uh.. EA, spewing out titles on what, a bi-weekly basis? All of them millions in marketing, always full-budget AA titles available with like 20 copies next to eachother in every game-store, toy-store, electronics-stores, TV-ads etc etc, and rarely they even climb that high on the list. Tripwire makes one game, first on their sparetime, then on an "everthing to lose" basis as an independent company, with close to zero marketing budget, lands a Steam-deal and a year later still ranks #15 online. If you ask me, thats a pretty fuckin huge achievement.

Aug 30, 2007, 10:34
Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 10:34
Aug 30, 2007, 10:34

About the whole manual bolting issue. When I fire my rifle at close range, I don't have to wait for reload animation to play before I run up and try to bash/bayonet someone. I can fire and charge them. That makes alone makes manual bolting useful to me.

I understand that not everyone will like the realism. I have been playing PC games for so many years that I see trends and I know what appeals to the biggest audience possible and that's not realistic sophisticated intricate games. Red Orchestra is unique. There just isn't many games that have this level of realism and that is what makes it unique.

I'm not going to bash anyone for not liking it or argue about how many players are playing it. Whether or not the game is popular based on those statistics is of little interest to me. I do not require a game to be popular in order to validate my enjoyment of the game.

My only concern is that whenever I wish to play, I can find enough low ping servers with people on them to enjoy the game whether it's infantry only map, a mixed map, or a armor map. So far I have always been able to find non empty servers with people playing. So I'm satisfied.

Your opinions will vary.

Aug 30, 2007, 00:45
Re: No subject Aug 30, 2007, 00:45
Aug 30, 2007, 00:45

RO currently bounced between the 14-16th most played multiplayer PC game in the world

Right behind other games that are 5+ years old...congrats Ostfront!

But seriously...I said active players, which is based on a daily basis, NOT monthly. Whenever I have logged on to try Osfront there has been a handfull of servers with players (lets say 5 servers with 10 to 12 people each. For starters, 10 to 12 per server is not enough for this game.

That tens of thousands you refer to over a period of a month is the same small group of people playing over and over everyday. The game seems to average about 1200 players per day, worldwide.

So when I open the server browser to play and only see 20 to 50 people (50 was on a free weekend) playing in my region...that game is not very popular.

Just because the game isn't your thing, is no reason to try and marginalize it.

It marginalizes itself by catering to a niche audience...I'm not doing it for them. And if you read what Ive said, for those that enjoy it, go for it. I do not, despite trying repeatedly to like the game (because I liked the mod).

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Everquest 2 (heard it's become a really good game...we'll see)
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 00:48.

Aug 29, 2007, 23:18
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 23:18
Aug 29, 2007, 23:18

You're right, the number of active player's DOES speak for itself. http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/ RO currently bounced between the 14-16th most played multiplayer PC game in the world (non-MMO). Check the link and find out for yourself. There are tens of thousands of regular RO players playing the game every month. Just because the game isn't your thing, is no reason to try and marginalize it. Lots of gamers of sick of the arcadey spoonfed gameplay they get from the big companies. And the player numbers for RO show that.

umm, don't mean to burst your bubble - but that isn't many at all.....more people still play MOH AA.

Anyway - the game doesn't feel polished.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Aug 29, 2007, 23:06
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 23:06
Aug 29, 2007, 23:06

You're right, the number of active player's DOES speak for itself. http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/ RO currently bounced between the 14-16th most played multiplayer PC game in the world (non-MMO). Check the link and find out for yourself. There are tens of thousands of regular RO players playing the game every month. Just because the game isn't your thing, is no reason to try and marginalize it. Lots of gamers of sick of the arcadey spoonfed gameplay they get from the big companies. And the player numbers for RO show that.

Aug 29, 2007, 22:21
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 22:21
Aug 29, 2007, 22:21

The double click has a very valuable purpose.

It allows players to more quickly get back into cover and reload when they are ready - timing decisions matter in RO.

What? How is that any different from DoD Source (or any other game), where it has an animation that chambers the next bullet for you, and you can still move, take cover and time the next action (you cannot fire until its done)...you just don't have to click again to do it.

The double click just has no purpose, other than to make the player have to click again.

Anyways, I don't want to focus on this one thing. It's a lot of things, and I'm not going to download the game again to go through it and make a list of tedious crap. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

But I think the number of active players in Ostfront really speaks for itself.

Currently playing Everquest 2 (heard it's become a really good game...we'll see)

Aug 29, 2007, 21:39
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 21:39
Aug 29, 2007, 21:39

woohoo

Aug 29, 2007, 20:45
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 20:45
Aug 29, 2007, 20:45

Most games require you to wait for the bolting animation before you can duck back behind cover.

what game(s) would that be?

I played the ut2003 mod and the ut2004 mod how has the game changed so much in the direction of realism from before?

Personally I can't sit here and think back to EXACTLY how much it has changed, but it has. I suspect these little realism "touches" like double clicking (the last time I played there were tons of little things like that) have been added one by one over time and have culminated in making things more "realistic" for the fans of such games but the "fun factor" for guys like myself and Dagok has slowly bled away.

Which is fine I suppose because there are quite a lot more arcade-like WW2 shooters out there than ones that lean towards realism. For myself I just miss the older version(s)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 29, 2007, 20:18
Tomas

Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 20:18
Aug 29, 2007, 20:18
 Tomas

The double click has a very valuable purpose.

It allows players to more quickly get back into cover and reload when they are ready - timing decisions matter in RO.

During WWII soldiers not trained in vehicles generally did not use them as doing so in many cases would be more dangerous than beneficial. The same goes for soldiers not trained in artillery not firing the guns. There's also the issue of it breaking the balance on the battlefield. There's usually more than enough spots in a class to do what you want.

Generally I found RO pretty fun - I guess it's just more for the tactical gamer than the run and gun gamer. I enjoyed DoD but DoD Source was a huge letdown. BF2 is fun with some groups I game with, but I always preferred RO because it was a much better team game than BF2.

RO is definitely harder than your average game to get into though. I didn't really enjoy it until after a few nights of playing - then I began to realize how good it really was.

Aug 29, 2007, 19:18
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 19:18
Aug 29, 2007, 19:18

Manual bolting is so easy. If you want to quickly reload just double click, one for fire and one for bolt. It's just as fast as if it auto reloaded for you

I realize this, and it does seem silly. But 10 years of FPS's that don't require me to double click the fire button, has me feeling that it's really unnecessary and one of many things that goes too far to make it not fun, and just more tedious than anything else.

What purpose does it have other than forcing the player to click the button twice? None. It's just annoying, and wasn't present in the mod.

Just like when you can't get into a vehicle because you didn't choose a driver class. Like WTF? Did soldiers all over thew world stand beside vehicles and not use them because they "weren't the right class"?

Make the game fun...not tedious. That's all I'm saying.
If you enjoy it, have at it.

No subject
Aug 29, 2007, 19:01
No subject Aug 29, 2007, 19:01
Aug 29, 2007, 19:01

All updated - gonna giver a whirl....

/edit: eh -= played on an infantry/armour map. It feels unfinished still to be honest. It isn't that smooth.
I will try an infantry only later tonight, but as of right now, it didn't win my money. BF2 and DoD and DoD Source will keep my time.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.
This comment was edited on Aug 29, 19:28.

Aug 29, 2007, 17:14
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 17:14
Aug 29, 2007, 17:14

Infantry combat has changed too much in the direction of realism when compared to the mod.
How so? I played the ut2003 mod and the ut2004 mod how has the game changed so much in the direction of realism from before?

Aug 29, 2007, 17:11
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 17:11
Aug 29, 2007, 17:11

Manual bolting is so easy. If you want to quickly reload just double click, one for fire and one for bolt. It's just as fast as if it auto reloaded for you.

Aug 29, 2007, 17:00
Bet

Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 17:00
Aug 29, 2007, 17:00
 Bet

I actually want them to go a step further with the manual bolting, so that you can empty the magazine without firing and giving away your position, and insert a fresh clip before going into a freshly-hostile situation. Or at the very least let you manually reload the 3 bullets you're down like you can with the sniper rifles.

Aug 29, 2007, 16:49
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 16:49
Aug 29, 2007, 16:49

Probably in attempt to balance the Subs to the bolt action rifles that you have to click Fire again after each shot to reload...which I think is pretty damn stupid.

That's not why it was done at all. They had a specific reason which they stated on the forums and in the manual, I believe.

The reason they have the bolt action rifles take the extra step is actually to help the riflemen, but you have to actually use cover for it to be of any use. (Gasp, how dare they expect you to play the game properly?) Most games require you to wait for the bolting animation before you can duck back behind cover. In RO you pop up from behind cover, fire, pop back behind your cover again, THEN bolt your rifle now that you're safe to do so.

It takes some getting used to, but it works very well once you are used to it. Personally I think they should have made it an option to automatically bolt or not, that way people won't keep whining about it.

No subject
Aug 29, 2007, 16:09
No subject Aug 29, 2007, 16:09
Aug 29, 2007, 16:09

hmm, I don't see this game on their stats list - maybe they don't list all games....but Lost Planet is there......but BioShock isn't...werid.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=US

Aug 29, 2007, 16:02
Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 16:02
Aug 29, 2007, 16:02

I'm sure all 50-60 regular players are happy as pigs in shit.

ROFL !

Steam: SpectralMeat

No subject
Aug 29, 2007, 15:56
No subject Aug 29, 2007, 15:56
Aug 29, 2007, 15:56

I played it when it was still free long ago. It had aspects of realism but it was fun. Once it got released on Steam I bought it figuring it was the same except more polished. Wrong.

They further pushed the "realism" factor to the point of sucking all fun out of it. Of course if you say that to a fan your a simple-minded noob fuck who wants an arcade experience.

Good for them though, I'm sure all 50-60 regular players are happy as pigs in shit.

I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older