21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 28, 2007, 20:29
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 20:29
Aug 28, 2007, 20:29

You're right, it is a particularly good year. I'll probably be playing 8 of those in addition to Bioshock. Past years have been miserable though.

I don't do realistic games, 3rd person or multiplayer, so my tastes have always been more restricted than most people's.

Aug 28, 2007, 18:44
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 18:44
Aug 28, 2007, 18:44

you're making the rather large assumption that everyone agrees that all of those are A list games.

But to be fair, "The A List" is rather subjective.

For example, As much as I love Bioshock, there are plenty of people out there that really don't think it's all that great. And I can see where they're coming from too. It copies System Shock 2 a little bit too much sometimes. Is it a great game, or is it just a case of people standing on the shoulders of giants?

Aug 28, 2007, 16:05
nin
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 16:05
Aug 28, 2007, 16:05
nin

You can count the number of A level releases in a year on one hand, and most of them are also available on consoles.

Company of Heroes?
Crysis?
Quake Wars?
Valve's various shit in a box?
Bioshock?
Hellgate?
Jericho?
Far Cry 2?
The Witcher?
Timeshift?
COD4?
UT3?
Left 4 Dead?
Fallout 3?
Starcraft 2?
Yet Another WOW Add-on?
Spore?

I'm out of fingers, dude...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Re: PC Gaming will never die
Aug 28, 2007, 13:02
Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 13:02
Aug 28, 2007, 13:02

VoodooV you would be WRONG. Bioshock was the same on both systems, and even graphically better then the 360 version if you have the hardware. Granted there is an issue of not being able to remap all the keys, but that pales in compairison to say Oblivion obvious consolitis.

What rock have you been hiding under? You go to any forum and you'll be told about the many gamestopping bugs and crashes in the PC version. Sure you can argue that the console version has some of the same bugs too. But what is obvious is that the Console version is considered a higher priority than the PC version, and that the console bugs are without a doubt, less severe than the PC version. That seems to be the way things have been going for a while now.

Sure you can even argue that it's not the game's fault, but the video card drivers. But that still illustrates the point of why consoles are outselling the PC. The average user simply doesn't want to deal with always having to update their drivers.

Aug 28, 2007, 12:39
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 12:39
Aug 28, 2007, 12:39

It's not dying. It's dead. You can count the number of A level releases in a year on one hand, and most of them are also available on consoles.

Of course PCs will be around for much longer, since they're good for more than games, and as long as there are PCs, there'll be games for them, but the days of the PC being the prime platform for gaming are over.

In a way, though, you could say the PC has won the war, since the PS3 is essentially a PC, with high-res monitor support, keyboard and mouse, and internet access.

Aug 28, 2007, 10:50
nin
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 10:50
Aug 28, 2007, 10:50
nin

We have heard the tired argument that PC gaming is dead/dying for years.

I was just thinking last night that it seems to be having a bit of an upswing lately...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Aug 28, 2007, 10:40
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 10:40
Aug 28, 2007, 10:40

PC Gaming is here to stay, becoming dedicated WoW terminals if nothing else :).

No subject
Aug 28, 2007, 10:36
No subject Aug 28, 2007, 10:36
Aug 28, 2007, 10:36

We have heard the tired argument that PC gaming is dead/dying for years.

It is here to stay - and when the industry "kills" it - you will see a resurgence of indie companies doing great work again. Freeware, shareware, etc will blossom like they once did and get us back on track.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 10:36.

Aug 28, 2007, 08:42
Bet

Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 08:42
Aug 28, 2007, 08:42
 Bet

Video games are video games and there's plenty out there that are good.

More than I can even play on the PC alone. It's ridiculous, the stack of games that I still need to play for the first time is enormous, and those have to compete with games from the last 10 years like Fallout and Thief 2 that need a replay every few years.

I simply don't have the TIME to console game, as my collection of PC games is so large after 10+ years and continues to grow by the month.

The Dreamcast was the last console I could devote enough attention to to rationalize spending hundreds of dollars on another game system and its games instead of upgrading my video card to better play existing and new PC every other year.

If PC game releases start to slow down maybe my 'games to be played' stack will finally start to get smaller. Looking at the lineup for this Fall though, doesn't look like it's happening this year either. Sigh. Damn you UT3 and your almost-guaranteed 2000 hours of multiplayer!

Aug 28, 2007, 08:04
PHJF

Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 08:04
Aug 28, 2007, 08:04
 PHJF

You bunch of freaks, go to a LAN party. There's nothing I like more than showing up with my Antec 900, massively OC'd Core 2 Duo, surround sound rumble headphones and behemoth 8800GTX and pwning some n00bs.

If there were no computer games at all I'd still funnel much of my funds into my PC solely for 3DMark scores and enthusiast activities.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 28, 2007, 06:56
Flo

Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 06:56
Aug 28, 2007, 06:56
 Flo

I'm a veteran PC gamer but over the last two years I shifted much of my gaming time over to the 360. Why? Because I no longer have the time to upgrade to the latest graphics board and CPU and because I am not so stupid as to believe that a certain control scheme can destroy a good game. Let's take Bioshock for example: I know that I could aim better with a mouse but does this really make the game's story worse? Actually I am enjoying it more on the 360 since the PC version is a hardware hog. I recently bought a samsung Laptop with a geforce 8600GS graphics card. I'm using it to play some multiplayer PC games like Quake Wars or CNC3 with medium settings but I prefer my 360 for cinematic gaming.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 06:57.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Aug 28, 2007, 06:27
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 06:27
Aug 28, 2007, 06:27

the PC still reigns supreme in terms of thinking games, strategy games and off beat wacky stuff

that is true. but those games are a niche market. they do not make a lot of money for developers. that is why we see more of them moving to consoles.

Aug 28, 2007, 05:50
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 05:50
Aug 28, 2007, 05:50

not true, the big games made by EA may be like that, but there are thousands of PC games, and many of the smaller titles by people like Stardock have TONS of depth to them. If you aren't too fussed about cutting edge graphics, then the PC still reigns supreme in terms of thinking games, strategy games and off beat wacky stuff.
You will never get shrapnel games stuff on a console, nor old school style RPGS, or hyper complicated sim games.

Aug 28, 2007, 04:47
Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 04:47
Aug 28, 2007, 04:47

VoodooV you would be WRONG. Bioshock was the same on both systems, and even graphically better then the 360 version if you have the hardware. Granted there is an issue of not being able to remap all the keys, but that pales in compairison to say Oblivion obvious consolitis.

Aug 28, 2007, 03:41
Kxmode

Re: No subject Aug 28, 2007, 03:41
Aug 28, 2007, 03:41
 Kxmode

I'm starting to wonder if games are passing me by as I get older. Like comic books, used to love 'em but these kids nowdays, sheesh, what passes for comics are pathetic. Haven't picked one up in years.

That means you're getting older. Comic books are still comic books and there's plenty out there that are good. Video games are video games and there's plenty out there that are good.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"These Eyes - We Were Young" posted (Rob Zombie's 'Halloween')
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Aug 28, 2007, 03:06
Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 03:06
Aug 28, 2007, 03:06

That article... wasn't too good. The author needs to learn not to jump between topics in mid-paragraph, and the whole article could use some organization.

No subject
Aug 28, 2007, 03:03
No subject Aug 28, 2007, 03:03
Aug 28, 2007, 03:03

I'm finding it less and less reasonable to keep upgrading my PC like I have done to keep up with fewer and fewer games I'm actually interested in playing. I used to get the top of the line every 4 years or so (graphics cards more often) and there were a lot of great PC games that made that worthwhile.

Not so much anymore. The new games are going console-only or are grudgingly ported to the PC. They are shallower, dumber (er, more "accessible"), shorter, geared towards high graphics at the expense of CPU and memory (tiny microlevels, few AI onscreen at once). I'm starting to wonder if games are passing me by as I get older. Like comic books, used to love 'em but these kids nowdays, sheesh, what passes for comics are pathetic. Haven't picked one up in years.

At one or two games a year it's not worth it to keep upgrading my PC to play them. I worry my gaming days are a thing of the past.

Aug 28, 2007, 01:45
Kxmode

Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 01:45
Aug 28, 2007, 01:45
 Kxmode

Fantastic read. If Id software and Epic games want to ignore the fans that made them what they are today, then I say let them shoot themselves in the foot.

Microsoft could kill Windows gaming, but I suspect they won't. They have something Sony and Nintendo doesn't have: a flourishing console and long-established games for Windows. It's more profitable to offer companies 360/XP/Vista/Live as a combo package to developers. In other words develop BioShock for 360 and Windows concurrently. Sony and Nintendo can't compete against that.

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"These Eyes - We Were Young" posted (Rob Zombie's 'Halloween')
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Aug 28, 2007, 00:10
Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 00:10
Aug 28, 2007, 00:10

Till then, I'm loving my PS2, 360, and Wii. I still game with my PC, but less and less.

cant argue with you there. its pretty obvious where games are going. unlike before when people used to predict pc gaming was dying. this time it is really happening because consoles have gained so much processing power and cost so much less than a gaming pc. i am not much of a sims or rpg player on the pc so i am seriously thinking of going pure console for the variety.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 00:11.

Aug 28, 2007, 00:00
Re: PC Gaming will never die Aug 28, 2007, 00:00
Aug 28, 2007, 00:00

such a clever title. Just ask the author how clever it is.

I'm sorry, but while there is always going to be PC gaming. As long as consoles offer a unified platform so that programmers only have to consider one hardware configuration instead of millions, Consoles will continue to take over. Consoles have taken the lead because it simply makes business sense to make console games more than PC games. Every game that manages to have a dual release of both console and PC. The PC version has always ended up being a crappy port with little thought put into it and many bugs. Our latest evidence of this is Bioshock.

Don't get me wrong. I will always love PC gaming more than consoles. But lets face reality. Those us who grew up with gaming in the 80s and 90s. Few developers make games like that anymore. Gaming has become more mainstream now, so niche games like sims and the hard core RPGs just don't cut it anymore. They don't make enough money. I hate it too..but it's reality. I too use to cry abomination whenever I saw an FPS game on a console. But sadly. I go where the games go. And that means that thanks to games like Bioshock and Gears of War, I'm slowly getting less and less annoyed with FPS games on the console. People adapt. It's what we do.

Your ONLY consolation prize is that you can make the arguement that PC gaming really hasn't died. It's merely shifted. It can definitely be said that consoles didn't beat PCs. Consoles became MORE LIKE PCs which is why they are becoming more and more popular.

You want to have a resurrection of PC gaming? Convince the video card makers to stop charging so much for the top of the line cards. Sorry, but we just really don't fucking need quad SLI or whatever overkill configuration they've dreamed up lately. There used to be a day when the best cards were available for 200 dollars or less. Bring that back and then maybe PC gaming will come back to what we loved back in the 80s and 90s.

Till then, I'm loving my PS2, 360, and Wii. I still game with my PC, but less and less.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older