BioShock Activations Upped, Widescreen Patch Planned

The Cult of Rapture has word that a couple of BioShock topics that have been getting a lot of attention from the community are being addressed, as they are increasing the number of activations allowed by the SecuROM software from two (story) to five, and are at work on patch to address widescreen issues (story). They are also creating a revocation tool to deactivate a BioShock installation and have given SecuROM more leeway to directly assist customers with activation issues. Finally, they have posted a new technical FAQ covering these and other topics. Word is:
We have been reading and listening to your frustrations over SecuROM, PC activation problems, and technical support issues since BioShock launched on Tuesday, and we've devised a plan to help.

Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system). We are also working with SecuROM and 2K customer service, so that when you do need to call in support problems, you get answers to your questions faster, without much waiting or being bounced around. SecuROM has been given much more autonomy to help fix your problems quickly and effectively. I am personally sorry for anyone who got bounced around in the past couple days (I even think I contributed to this problem) and we're going to make sure that does not happen in the future.

As for other technical issues, we are bringing on a team of tech support that will be on the 2K forums 24/7 to help people resolve their technical issues. Our QA guys are in the offices and on the forums, too, reproducing issues and looking for workarounds and compiling information that they can put towards making you a patch and updating the knowledge base.

Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.

Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.

And as for widescreen, we also want to say we completely understand a user's desire to augment their FOV. BioShock is a harrowing experience, but we don't want anyone to feel limited (or motion sick!). So we are in the process of working on an official PC patch to give widescreen PC users a choice to expand their horizontal FOV, and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.

And finally, I want to personally congratulate Racer_S from the Widescreen Gaming Forums, and his awesome user patch to expand the widescreen FOV in BioShock. I'm currently tracking him down via email, but hopefully, he'll accept my gratitude, and maybe an Nvidia 8800 to boot.

Read the full technical FAQ.
View : : :
162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Newer

Free 8800
Aug 23, 2007, 22:04
Free 8800 Aug 23, 2007, 22:04
Aug 23, 2007, 22:04

Oh snap!

Re: Free 8800
Aug 23, 2007, 22:09
Re: Free 8800 Aug 23, 2007, 22:09
Aug 23, 2007, 22:09

and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.

Here's hoping.

Oh wow
Aug 23, 2007, 22:11
Oh wow Aug 23, 2007, 22:11
Aug 23, 2007, 22:11

Now we only get screwed after 5 installs, that's sooo much better.

No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 22:15
>U
No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:15
Aug 23, 2007, 22:15
>U

We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5
Okay that's better.

and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times.
What the fuck?! Why the hell would you impose any limit on a reinstall on the same god damn PC? Even Direct2Drive and Trygames.com don't do that shit, and their DRM sucks too.

I even think I contributed to this problem
You think so do you? You might want to "think" before you write a press release next time that turns out to be a lie.

Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.
You want to permanently fix the problem? Get rid of the god damn Internet activation and stick with media-based copy-protection like the consoles use or how about something even better like none at all (gasp!).

Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.
I am sure that FAQ will be a bastion of truthfulness and accuracy given how truthful and forthright your company has been on this issue so far. I love how you didn't tell potential buyers about this DRM shit before you got their money. Of course you've got to love the idiots who bought the game on Steam because they get a double-whammy: Steam's DRM plus your Securom crap.

And finally, I want to personally congratulate Racer_S from the Widescreen Gaming Forums, and his awesome user patch to expand the widescreen FOV in BioShock. I'm currently tracking him down via email, but hopefully, he'll accept my gratitude, and maybe an Nvidia 8800 to boot.
After all he has done for the players of various PC racing games, it's about time he got his due.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 22:19.

Re: Free 8800
Aug 23, 2007, 22:22
Re: Free 8800 Aug 23, 2007, 22:22
Aug 23, 2007, 22:22

Hey, have you tried turning on the "increase FPS" option in the 360 Bioshock? HOLY COW the frame rate skyrockets, and I don't notice any significant visual quality loss. Very sweet
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

ouch
Aug 23, 2007, 22:26
ouch Aug 23, 2007, 22:26
Aug 23, 2007, 22:26

When the fully cracked "scene" warez version comes out tomorrow, this draconian copy scheme (even in its "improved" form) will have the great honor of only being a pain in the ass for the paying customer (just like every other draconian copy protection scheme), how wonderful.

Re: No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 22:29
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:29
Aug 23, 2007, 22:29

Steam does not have any DRM, it just has a code to identify the user. Woopity do.

If it had DRM you could not copy the install files and the single player games on any PC you have. And you can do just that.

No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 22:31
No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:31
Aug 23, 2007, 22:31

sorry folks, a limited number of installs? what kind of arrogant bullshit gives them the right to restrict access to software you purchase the rights to use?

100% no deal, you fucks - im not contributing to this kind of garbage

Aug 23, 2007, 22:41
Enahs

Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:41
Aug 23, 2007, 22:41
 Enahs

What part of a limited number of simultaneous installs do you tards not understand? You can install it 5,000,000,000 times, just no more then 5 at one time.

The only problem with this is if the uninstall does not properly get your install activations back.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 23, 2007, 22:42
>U
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:42
>U

Steam does not have any DRM
Steam, does have DRM. You must authenticate each time you want to play a Steam game. Yes Steam has an offline mode that sometimes works with restrictions, but even in offline mode the games are authenticated using the stored credentials.

If it had DRM you could not copy the install files and the single player games on any PC you have. And you can do just that.
Sure you can copy the files, but the games won't be playable until you authenticate/login at least once and then save your login information on that pc and never accidently uncheck the "save" box or login using another Steam account. Steam uses a hardware fingerprint hash from Windows that is stored in the registry along with another hash in the clientRegistry.blob file to enable offline mode. It is a form of DRM whether you realize it or not. A fanboy like you didn't think Valve was stupid, did you?

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 23:42.

Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:42

And I thought the raising of 2 to 5 would take a couple months, when I actually needed it. 5 is fine for now.

Pretty cool of them giving a 8800 to a community member for a FOV workaround. Although their are many user fixes to issues with games, it's rare to get such quick gratitude, and not with only words.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 22:43.

No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 22:46
No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:46

Limited installs are the new StarForce.

>U
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:46
>U

What part of a limited number of simultaneous installs do you tards not understand? You can install it 5,000,000,000 times, just no more then 5 at one time.
That's not what the press release says, tard. Read it next time before you shoot off your mouth ass.

Here's what it says about reinstalls:

"allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times."

That means reinstall on each of five PC's ONLY 5 times without using the damn deactivation tool (assuming that the thing will actually work). Sure, theoretically if you deactivate/uninstall using the upcoming tool you can supposedly get around the restriction by reusing one of the five reinstallations, but that's still a fucking hassle and it may not work when you need it.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 22:52.

Aug 23, 2007, 22:50
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:50
Aug 23, 2007, 22:50

The only problem with this is if the uninstall does not properly get your install activations back.

Sorry, couldn't be further from the truth. You get five simultaneous installs. Fine, unless your internet isn't connected when the uninstall happens, the securom servers are down, your hard drive crashes, you reformat, or you get a new machine. Under any of those circumstances, you drop down to 4. Again not a huge deal, most of these things won't happen too often. Still a pain in the ass, and still a potential problem for a lot of people. Especially people that like to go back and play a game after a few years of letting it lay dormant, like me.

In addition to this limit, there is a 5 reinstall limit per machine. So technically, you get a total of 25 installs. Reinstall five times on one machine? Tough luck, you get to throw your disc away or buy a new machine. This is totally above and beyond the simultaneous install limitation.

Aug 23, 2007, 22:51
nin
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:51
Aug 23, 2007, 22:51
nin

Steam does not have any DRM, it just has a code to identify the user. Woopity do.

The Steam version of Bioshock features SecuROM, just like the retail.

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Aug 23, 2007, 22:58
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 22:58
Aug 23, 2007, 22:58

Reinstall five times on one machine? Tough luck, you get to throw your disc away or buy a new machine. This is totally above and beyond the simultaneous install limitation.

Or you just call up support and get another activation key.

People mis-representing the issue with inaccurate facts only hurts the side that are against DRM.

Kudos to Irrational here, they responded quickly to the problems people were having, provided a solution (no, REMOVE ALL COPY PROTECTION FROM EVERYTHING EVAR is not the only solution) and is throwing a hardware goodie at someone who created a patch and isn't subject to the 5 levels of bureaucracy before release.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 23:02.

Aug 23, 2007, 23:04
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 23:04
Aug 23, 2007, 23:04

People mis-representing the issue with inaccurate facts only hurts the side that are against DRM.

First off, I would argue that having to call in to ask them to unlock your ability to install is the same as denying it altogether. It's total bullshit that no one should have to do.

Secondly, you are also assuming the company you have to ask still exists. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to play games whose parent companies are no longer operational.

Thirdly, you are assuming they simply smile and say, "We just unlocked your game, have fun!" the moment you call. Infact, from what users have experienced on the 2K forums, NO ONE has gotten their key unlocked for this. Not a single person. Infact there are tons of people posting emails they've gotten that simply say, "It's not our problem."

"People mis-representing the issue with inaccurate facts only hurts the side that are against DRM." Couldn't be more true.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 23:05.

Aug 23, 2007, 23:06
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 23:06
Aug 23, 2007, 23:06

The Steam version of Bioshock features SecuROM, just like the retail.
Which is really, really, really stupid. Why use Steam if you're not going to use Steam? Valve shouldn't even be letting companies get away with this. If you want to use Steam, you have to use Steam's DRM (or none at all).

Aug 23, 2007, 23:10
>U
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 23:10
Aug 23, 2007, 23:10
>U

I see no guarantee from Take 2 in that press release or elsewhere that states contractually or otherwise that another activation key will definitely be provided upon request. In the absence of an explicit guarantee, this is just more vague and empty assurances from Take 2 like the last official statement on the subject. If Take 2 was going to dole out new keys like candy, it wouldn't have these reinstallation restrictions on the game to start with.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 23:20.

Aug 23, 2007, 23:22
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 23:22
Aug 23, 2007, 23:22

Secondly, you are also assuming the company you have to ask still exists. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to play games whose parent companies are no longer operational.

So? Then you just download the crack and go. That is assuming that they won't release a final patch where the activation requirement will be removed in a year or two which they most likely will do. Tell me the name of just one game that you can not play because the company has gone out of business. You can't. So what was your point again?

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***
162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Newer