Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 23:48 John

I'll probably get another TV downthe line (in 1-2 years), but that will mostly be because my TV only has 1 HDMI cable and by then having 3+ would be preferable (game systems, Tivo, HDDVD/BluRay, etc).

Or you could get one of these instead:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204966954&adid=17653&dcaid=17653#moreimg

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. ... Aug 23, 2007, 19:04 theyarecomingforyou

If your mobo has a pcie 1.1 slot, the pcie 2.0 cards should run in it.
Well, my motherboard supports PCIe 1.1 so that gives me some hope. It does seem silly that nVidia would release a card that 99.9% of motherboards don't support, so common sense says that IF the rumours of the 9800 being PCIe 2.0 are true that it will still support PCIe 1.1 and likely work at full speed.

It does seem strange that there is talk of the 9800 series being twice as fast as an 8800Ultra. Wouldn't that make this the fastest jump in graphical power to date?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G

15. Re: Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 17:37 Cabezone

Actually Creston your TV converts that 1080i to 720p, so yeah the 1080p set would show more definition....up close.

Even so half of sports is broadcast in 720p anyway.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 17:37.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

14. Re: Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 17:00 Creston

The same people I hear say that go on and on about how their 1080p looks "spectacular when watching random show" when said show is only broadcast at 720p.

I love that new Sharp Aquos baseball commercial. "Baseball like you've never seen it before! In full 1080P!"

Ofcourse, nobody broadcasts anything in 1080p, it's all 1080i. But, lying to the public is allowed in commercials, so meh. If the sheeple are too stupid to educate themselves, let them spend 700 extra dollars on a TV that generally will look exactly the same as my 1080i does. *shrug*

Creston

13. Re: ... Aug 23, 2007, 16:57 Cabezone

If your mobo has a pcie 1.1 slot, the pcie 2.0 cards should run in it.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 16:57.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: ... Aug 23, 2007, 16:47 PHJF

I read that P35 is PCIe 2.0 compatible but that none of the current models support it. I know I need a new motherboard to support it... I'm just hoping the card will be backwards compatible without a performance hit.

What he said. P35 design spec states an 8Gbps bandwidth on the PCI-E line, aka PCI-E 2.0

9800 will almost surely not run on PCI-E 1.0. Intel and nVidia are in bed together, and the supposedly nearly simultaneous release of both a new intel chipset and a new nvidia chipset can't be overlooked. That want your money. That's why I've decided to just get an 8800 now to replace my ailing 7600 instead of waiting for the g92. I've no intentions of replacing my GA-P35 anytime soon, especially since it is compatible with 45nm processors.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. ... Aug 23, 2007, 16:32 theyarecomingforyou

P35 is not PCIe 2.0 compatible. Whether it will use PCIe 2.0 cards at 1.1 speeds, I don't know. I think it may depend on the card itself.
I read that P35 is PCIe 2.0 compatible but that none of the current models support it. I know I need a new motherboard to support it... I'm just hoping the card will be backwards compatible without a performance hit.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

Optane 900P 280G

10. No subject Aug 23, 2007, 15:57 Cabezone

Well it really depends on how you use the flatscreen, lots of variables. If you're sitting 4-6' from your screen and want a 50" 1080p would benefit you, especially someone with a current gen console. At that range you would benefit from the increased resolution for game with long site ranges...shooters and such. You might also get SDE at that range on a 720p, where the 1080p would help even with HD broadcasts.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

9. Re: nVidia 9800 GTS/GTX Aug 23, 2007, 15:31 complicity

Are they backwards compatible or am I going to have to ditch my new P35 motherboard
P35 is not PCIe 2.0 compatible. Whether it will use PCIe 2.0 cards at 1.1 speeds, I don't know. I think it may depend on the card itself.

X38 will be the first Intel chipset to support PCIe 2.0, and is due to arrive Q3 this year.

All info courtesy of Wikipedia.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

8. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 15:05 kanniballl

From what I understand 1080p doesn't really make a whole lot of difference until the size of the TV you're looking at is 40" or larger.

It's actually greater than that. Unless you're right up to the screen you really don't notice it unless it's bigger than 50.

720 is good enough for me. I'll probably get another TV downthe line (in 1-2 years), but that will mostly be because my TV only has 1 HDMI cable and by then having 3+ would be preferable (game systems, Tivo, HDDVD/BluRay, etc). When that time comes I'll consider a 1080p, but only if the price difference isn't too great.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. nVidia 9800 GTS/GTX Aug 23, 2007, 14:49 theyarecomingforyou

So the new nVidia cards are meant to be PCIe 2.0... what exactly does that mean? Are they backwards compatible or am I going to have to ditch my new P35 motherboard or is it like SATA300 versus SATA150 [or similar to PCIe 16 versus AGP 8] in that the bandwidth is there but it won't be used and will be backwards compatible? As long as it's backwards compatible then I'm happy as it should be easy to upgrade... if I have to change motherboard for no good reason then I'll be annoyed.

I accept that technology standards move on quickly but PCIe 2.0 has been very quiet and there hasn't been much, if any, information about it in the general public domain.

Optane 900P 280G

6. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 14:12 MMORPGHoD

From what I understand 1080p doesn't really make a whole lot of difference until the size of the TV you're looking at is 40" or larger.

5. No subject Aug 23, 2007, 14:06 Cabezone

The biggest benefit to my eyes is you can sit a lot closer to a 1080p set without getting any SDE. Other than that most people would be better of with a 720p screen with great picture quality than an equivalently priced 1080p set with average picture quality.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 14:06.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

4. Re: Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 13:39 Retired

That's the biggest problem with HD right now: User Education.

But that stems from a lack of reliable easy to understand information.

/edit: After reading that article, and the 3 linked in his blog - I still don't know what tv I should get for what I watch and do. So - I am fine with my regular old 27 inch tube.

/edit2: Also, I do enjoy going to a friends and watching NFL games - on his ridiculous 60 something inch Samsung HDTV. Do I know what it is? no, do I care? No. I jsut know, for watching football, it is awesome, and he didn't spend much on it. it is beautiful. but does it play great games? Who knows. How does everything else look? It sucks - but for HD content it is great. Kind of a waste just for HD content.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.
This comment was edited on Aug 23, 14:02.

3. Re: Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 12:11 Bet

And it's hard as hell to get that education. You have to dig for the raw facts of the matter. Took me a year before I realized with my own eyes that it wasn't worth downloading 1080p media to view on a 1920x1200 monitor. Even with 20/20 I can't tell enough of a difference between 720p and 1080p to justify the much larger downloads. Although either is a HUGE difference from standard definition media, that much is certain. h.264 720p/1080p video or bust.

Also, that 9800 GTS has me salivating. Can't wait to replace this 7900 GT with it. Please be November, please be November...

2. Re: Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 11:53 nin

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

1. Full HD: Hip or Hype? Aug 23, 2007, 11:41 kanniballl

Yeh, it bugs me when I hear some guy say "720p is barely HD, or it's practically not HD, those poor suckers that bought 720p sets are idiots." The same people I hear say that go on and on about how their 1080p looks "spectacular when watching random show" when said show is only broadcast at 720p.

My HDTV is 2 years old, but still looks good and only cost me $1300 back then. Granted that amount could get me something nicer now, I'm still happy with it.

-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Aug 23, 11:43.

-Fry, Futurama

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo