More on BioShock Activation

A post to the 2K Forums by 2K Elizabeth goes a little further into how the SecuROM online activation required to play BioShock (story) works when attempting multiple installs:
first, let me say this. you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE INTERNET EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THIS GAME. it is only the first time.

second, you can uninstall and reinstall this game, and if, by chance, you have 2 computers you want to simultaneously play this game on, you also can do that.

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

but if you upgrade your hardware next week, you'll still be able to play the game. if you revamp your system and need to reinstall bioshock, just uninstall it before you go through the overhaul, and then do your reinstall.

calling it "hardware fingerprinting" is a bit alarmist. we do not transmit any of your data to any companies.

really, the only people who will be concerned about any of these security measures are those who are rapidly putting bioshock on many pcs... if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.
View : : :
156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: like it or not ...
Aug 23, 2007, 12:05
Re: like it or not ... Aug 23, 2007, 12:05
Aug 23, 2007, 12:05

Penny-Arcade should do a comic that shows 2 people, one with a 2k hat, one with a securom hat, pointing fingers at each other. Banner should read "What do do if you can't activate Bioshock."

I wondered if the whole uninstall to free up a token would even work. If I were 2k/SecuRom I'd "break" that part of the system for about a week.

They don't want you sharing this game, at all. Everyone needs to spend $60 on this game is their dream. You want to play this on your friends computer? Fuck you, buy another copy.

I'm surprised they even let you authenticate it twice... There had to be a fierce meeting with some money hoarding trolls hell bent on keeping the limit to one arguing with the developer who is desperately trying to explain that even a single user is likely to want to install this on more than 1 system!

I think if they'd gone with the 1 internet activation idea we'd be seeing mushroom clouds...

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 12:06.

Aug 23, 2007, 11:24
Re: like it or not ... Aug 23, 2007, 11:24
Aug 23, 2007, 11:24

That pic is awesome. Someone should hack 2K's website and just fucking plaster it on there.

Creston

Aug 23, 2007, 10:16
nin

Re: like it or not ... Aug 23, 2007, 10:16
Aug 23, 2007, 10:16
 nin

The graphic shown in the link, (created by a poster on the 2K board) sums up things nicely:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bleeding-customers/bioshock-cp-hassles-continue-292603.php

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Aug 23, 2007, 09:25
Re: like it or not ... Aug 23, 2007, 09:25
Aug 23, 2007, 09:25

I hope companies will be more open about these copy protection issues in the future. I don't mind that the game needs online activation as much as I mind that this news didn't become available until after the release of the game.

I don't think I'd have many complaints if they had started talking about this 2 weeks ago, saying, "We've done something a bit more restrictive and allowed only 2 installs with each copy of the game to be activated." I doubt this would be as big an issue.

Clearly this is an aggressive copy protection system and it's insulting to find out about this now rather than before you purchase.

I'm renting the 360 version so this doesn't affect me but I do want to see more PC games made and stuff like this makes me glad I lean towards consoles as much as possible.

I think it's an unhealthy obsession for companies to work so hard at making sure people don't share software. That's what this copy protection stuff stops, people sharing legit copies of the game purchased at stores. And I don't see that as a big enough threat to accept me being limited in how I use my copy of the game.

Assuming this copy protection install limit stuff is removed later I could see this being a non issue but it sucks to look forward to a game like this and find a nagging issue like this out now.

like it or not ...
Aug 23, 2007, 08:12
like it or not ... Aug 23, 2007, 08:12
Aug 23, 2007, 08:12

I wasn't following this game's release much at all (I knew it would be more FPS-ish than SS).

Tried the demo, became intrigued ... plus we are in a bit of a PC game dry spell ... thought ... I am going to go buy this ...

Saw this crap about their protection scheme, no thanks, I will pass ... nobody is going to tell me when and where I can install a game I have rightfully purchased. I have a desktop PC, a laptop and a work PC I routinely install whatever it is I am playing, so right out of the gate, I would be SOL.

Neat game, but not truly special enough to let the publisher and/or developer have its way with me.

Re: The Advocate
Aug 23, 2007, 07:09
yonder

Re: The Advocate Aug 23, 2007, 07:09
Aug 23, 2007, 07:09
 yonder

I think this is great!
Online authentication for games is great. Securom still needs some work though.

The devs needs to make back money for the millions they spent. Being that it isn't an MMO or a multiplayer game, their are no servers to authenticate with.
So how else are they to prevent hundreds of thousands of people downloading it and installing it without buying it on release day???
How???

These measures are in place because of a large section of PC gamers think it is cool to steal software that cost millions to make and they are honoring devs by playing it for free. As with most laws, it's those peoples fault procedures like this are necessary.

There has been more whining little children whining about this game than I have seen in a long time. It's crap like this developers don't need, as much as it sucks to say it, it actually makes sense to leave PC whining girls behind and just produce for consoles.

If anyone has a better solution to make sure they get money back on release day, feel free to share your wisdom, otherwise your complaints are worthless.
This message was edited at Aug 22, 16:36.

Easy solution. Quite ass-raping your paying customers, and more people will willingly become paying customers. I bought Galactic Civ 2 for two main reasons:

1)Recommendation from my friends
2)NO FRIGGIN COPY PROTECTION!!!

They deserved my financial support. While I won't buy a game simply because it doesn't have copy protection... I will be more likely to buy a game that doesn't over a game that does. If they are roughly the same amount of awesomeness... the non-copy-protected game will get my money every time.

GalCiv2's sales numbers back up my point.

There is a 0% chance that I will ever, *EVER* buy games with ass-raping copy protection. No, not because it's "cool" but because I don't enjoy being treated like a criminal, or else I'd shop at stores (*cough* Best Buy *cough*) that check my receipt and bag and pat you down whenever I leave...

I'm really, really glad I didn't buy BioShock on PC yet.

No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 01:04
No subject Aug 23, 2007, 01:04
Aug 23, 2007, 01:04

and unfortunately those precious moments are lost forever!

Re: No subject
Aug 23, 2007, 00:08
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 00:08
Aug 23, 2007, 00:08

Pray tell, what exactly about that statement do you take exception with? Was your tiny brain fixated on scale?

Aug 23, 2007, 00:00
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2007, 00:00
Aug 23, 2007, 00:00

"suspect the first 2 months of a game release are akin to the first 2 days of a movie opening.

Or thereabouts, yeah. The point being that it's the shiny & new phase that's important."

WTF?! I can't believe I've been arguing with this idiot!

Aug 22, 2007, 23:57
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:57
Aug 22, 2007, 23:57

suspect the first 2 months of a game release are akin to the first 2 days of a movie opening.

Or thereabouts, yeah. The point being that it's the shiny & new phase that's important.

Of course there are sleeper hits too, where it initially comes in with a whimper but picks up steam due to word of mouth. In that sense it's also comparable to movies, like something becoming a hit in DVD sales after failing at the box office. Serenity, anyone?
This comment was edited on Aug 23, 00:01.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:51
Enahs

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:51
Aug 22, 2007, 23:51
 Enahs

I suspect the first 2 months of a game release are akin to the first 2 days of a movie opening.

It is all most certain it is not like movie releases. A store can only hold so many copies of a game at once. Only so many DVD's can be made at once time, etc. Where as with a movie, sure the theaters are limited to the size of the audience, but they can let more then one people view it.

Take the movie The Bourne Ultimatum.
It has been out for 19 days. At it's largest release to date, only 3,701 in the US have been showing it. If we take an extremely cautious and over estimate that each theater has 10 screens showing the movie, that is only 37,010 "copies" of the movie needed to be moved to provide the more then 10 million Americans to see the movie.

Where as if a game wanted to sale 1 million copies, it has to sale 1 million copies. It takes a lot more time and effort to distribute 1 million individual things to 1 million people.

Sure digital media is changing that, but it still takes time to download, find, purchase, config, even know the game exists, etc etc.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 23:53.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 22, 2007, 23:48
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:48
Aug 22, 2007, 23:48

But is that what you should be focussing on? To the extent where it potentially pisses off THOUSANDS of your legit customers?

Did you skip the part where I said that exact thing in two or three different posts? No, it's not worth it. Not one bit.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 23:49.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:45
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:45
Aug 22, 2007, 23:45

So maybe it's really only foiling a handful of idiots at a time. Is that enough? Well it makes me happy

But is that what you should be focussing on? To the extent where it potentially pisses off THOUSANDS of your legit customers?

Look, it's hard for me to relate to having my work stolen, because that's not the kind of work I do, but I can probably imagine it's the worst fucking feeling.

I just wish devs/publishers would sometimes put themselves in the shoes of the customer. Who has waited three years for this awesome new game to come out, ran out to get it the second the store opens, comes home, install it while reading the manual, and then when he tries to run it, SecuROM tells him he's a fucking thief and the game won't work.

I'm going to bet that the feeling HE'S got isn't much better than the feeling YOU'VE got.

In the end, I'm a firm believer that your customer is always right (unless he's a complete dumbass.)
In the gaming industry, the customer stopped being right a long time ago. And that's just fucked up.

Creston

Aug 22, 2007, 23:44
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:44
Aug 22, 2007, 23:44

That's the most coherent thing you've posted all day. Clearly I've been a positive influence in your life and I'm glad I've inspired you to reach new heights in sentence construction.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:42
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:42
Aug 22, 2007, 23:42

Gawd you're a pissy little thing aren'cha?

I never stated I knew any better. I never stated I knew what I was talking about. I never stated I couldn't be wrong. I stated that it sounded stupid that someone would think a release date is anywhere near a movie release (as far as percentages of sales go).

The only thing I'm trying to state as fact, is that it would take more than the rantings of a neurotic internet fairy like you saying "it is so because I say it is so" to prove it. And after all this, you still have not been able to produce one iota of evidence to prove your point.

I'm not saying that it can't be right, but I AM saying that you're a loud-mouthed fucking idiot who clearly doesn't have any facts to back up his flapping mouth. Perhaps you could get a co-worker (assuming there's one out there who can stand you) to provide you with the information you obviously can't come up with on your own (you know, sales statistics with references).

Now take a deep breath, pop a valium and go smoke yourself a fat hairy one. By the time you're done wiping your chin, you'll feel right as rain (with all your homoerotic references, I figure that'd put a smile on your face).

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 23:45.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:37
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:37
Aug 22, 2007, 23:37

But here's the flip side: choosing to do nothing at all is like giving up.

I disagree.

Like I said, in principle all pirates can go die in a fire. You think you're clever because you cracked a game? Let's see you make one, then I'll be impressed.

And as I went on to say, copy protection is ultimately pointless, save for the odd entertaining moment or two. Doubly so if it ends up fucking with people who aren't stealing the thing.

Even CD keys aren't bulletproof. We got fucked over when Won.net evaporated because they were doing the authentication. Fortunately we were still in development and were able to switch to someone else, but it raised an interesting question: Do you really want to release something that may have an expiration date because some third party goes poof? I don't.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 23:38.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:34
>U
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:34
Aug 22, 2007, 23:34
>U

And neither will he steal it. Perhaps no one wins, but no one loses, either. I'll take a stalemate over a loss any day.
Look even if he played your game without compensating you, you don't lose. It's no loss either way. That would be like saying you lose when someone plays your game at a store kiosk or friend's house instead of buying it.

Plus given some of the crappy games you have made that consumers have unfortunately bought, I'd say that they lost, and you owe them.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:32
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:32
Aug 22, 2007, 23:32

Yeah, keep reading.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:27
>U
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:27
Aug 22, 2007, 23:27
>U

When do YOU think the sales of a game peak? You keep saying it's not when it's new, so just when is it then?

Actually, Some Dud, if you actually read what he originally wrote which is:

"if you think someone who's likely to pirate a game is gonna suddenly decide to buy it because he simply must have it on "release day", you're even more of an idiot"

you would see that he is not really arguing that a game's biggest sales come at release but rather that someone who would pirate a game would otherwise buy it at release if he couldn't.

Aug 22, 2007, 23:25
Enahs

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 23:25
Aug 22, 2007, 23:25
 Enahs

But here's the flip side: choosing to do nothing at all is like giving up.

I disagree.

Look at StarDock and GalCivII. They started with crappy copy protection (StarForce). They removed all types of copying protection due to complaints. The sales then went up, according to them. The game is making them enough money to have already financed the production of one expansion, and tons of major, major updates to the original game and expansion. They are now making another expansion.

They continually update the game and support it. If you want to download the updates when they first come out from their website you need a legit serial number, if not, you just download it from somewhere else.

The game gets great reviews, and it is making them money. I think it is one of the best games out. They have absolutely no copy protection, but they do give a very minor incentive to have a legit version.

Now, I know it is not a type of game that required a huge budget, but for the amount of gameplay they give you and the price, I almost feel like I am stealing from them. Hundreds of hours of gameplay for half the price of other games that give you 10 hours. But by making the game cheaper, it also does allow more people to purchase it legitimately that could not otherwise.

Virtually every triple A title released in the past 10 years with copy protection has been available, sans copy protection, before the game is actually legally available in retail. Seriously. Copy protection to try and stop pirates will not work.

Make better games at a decent price for adults who realize that it cost money to make games and are willing to pay for them to support the developers. Convince parents to teacher their children better.

Forcing people into copy protection is akin to a doctor amputating your foot because of an in-grown to nail. The sore foot is a SYMPTOM of the problem, not a cause. Treating symptoms and not causes does absolutely nothing but make things more complicated.

*edit* I do however support non-shitty, but serious, copy protection on multi-player games were pirates will directly be costing the game developer or publisher money due to extra bandwidth usage or whatever.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 23:38.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older