More on BioShock Activation

A post to the 2K Forums by 2K Elizabeth goes a little further into how the SecuROM online activation required to play BioShock (story) works when attempting multiple installs:
first, let me say this. you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE INTERNET EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THIS GAME. it is only the first time.

second, you can uninstall and reinstall this game, and if, by chance, you have 2 computers you want to simultaneously play this game on, you also can do that.

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

but if you upgrade your hardware next week, you'll still be able to play the game. if you revamp your system and need to reinstall bioshock, just uninstall it before you go through the overhaul, and then do your reinstall.

calling it "hardware fingerprinting" is a bit alarmist. we do not transmit any of your data to any companies.

really, the only people who will be concerned about any of these security measures are those who are rapidly putting bioshock on many pcs... if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.
View : : :
156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 17:11
No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:11

So how else are they to prevent hundreds of thousands of people downloading it and installing it without buying it on release day???
How???

They arent. Period. How many times must you naive little fucks be told? Pirates ALWAYS win. I know it may send shivers up your throbbing sore anus to feel like you and "the good guys" stand alone on top of a mountain of righteousness, but unfortunately thats nothing more than a childish fantasy. Speaking of that, people like you are why the matrix exists.

Keep on bleating, you stupid fucks. Enjoy your "bliss".

besides uninstalling...
besides uninstalling... Aug 22, 2007, 17:11

Besides the whole "just remember to uninstall before you reinstall" thing.... uhhh... what if you're fucking hard drive breaks? 'cause we all know that hard drives are the most reliable part of a computer...

Re: The Advocate
Aug 22, 2007, 16:53
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 16:53
Aug 22, 2007, 16:53

Online authentication for games is great. Securom still needs some work though.

"Some work" is an understatement.

If they'd use half a brain, they could come up with a much better mechanic for authentication. Let's take a look at Steam for example. You create 1 account and all your Steam compatible games are registered to it. I can reinstall and format to my heart's content, and I will always be able to sign into my Steam account and get those games running on my computer. In fact, I can download the full version of a game I registered at no cost. I can lose the discs entirely and still be able to install the games on my computer, and I don't need to have any discs in my drive when I play.

2K and securom have managed to completely fuck this up. Even on Steam, you still only get 2 installs, and if you buy the disc version, activating it doesn't remove the need for a disc. While Steam normally benefits both the developer and gamer, Securom benefits the developer at the gamers' expense.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:55.

Aug 22, 2007, 16:44
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 16:44
Aug 22, 2007, 16:44

"Of course it's the pirates' fault these measures are in place Captain Obvious. The pirates never stop getting their free games, ever."

I said "release day". As obvious as I was in writing that, you seemed to obviously miss it. The demand on release day or preemptive cracked releases, is what they avoided and that will return lots of money which they deserve. if their are a few ruffled panties or broken egg shells, it's worth it.

I suggest you do your part to curb people pirating, that is the real cause as you agree, not trying to attack some developer for trying their best to insure they get return in the first week when demand is high. Nothing is perfect, and it isn't starforce, so be happy for something.

Re: No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 16:42
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 16:42
Aug 22, 2007, 16:42

Nin, I get what you're saying but that honestly doesn't answer my question.

Do you genuinely believe a bunch of angry forum posts are going to change the minds of these people? Can you name a period in time where relations between customers and businesses were at a worse point than they are right now in the game sales business?

They don't give a damn and it shows.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 22, 2007, 16:38
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 16:38
Aug 22, 2007, 16:38

Well, I guess you don't have a lot of data. Or maybe you keep it on a share at work. Me, I like my shit to remain personal. That's why I have only the data I don't care about so much connected to the net & everything else is on drives that I'll plug in if I require it. I should just build a 3rd computer & quit selling my old stuff whenever I upgrade.

My data (games, music, apps, pics, movies, render projects, etc) is shared on private shares on my home server in a RAID 50 array. Ergo, zero waiting time to re-access those items when I need them. Image files were great back in the day but with how incredibly cheap it is to set up RAID arrays and home servers these days, they're obsolete. Hence why I call them bloated.

Anyway Advocate, you might be able to install windows in less than a quarter hour; but you're still ugly.

Damned ugly too. I asked my wife why she married me and she said "Pity".

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Aug 22, 2007, 16:33
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 16:33
Aug 22, 2007, 16:33

Just because some guy on the internet calls anyone who complains about something he doesn't agree with "little children", it doesn't change the fact that his complacent sheep-like attitude toward what so many others deem to be a real problem is why publishers don't have to give a shit. For every one customer who is outraged by their bullshit, there are a dozen who don't care, don't rock the boat, just buy...

Of course it's the pirates' fault these measures are in place Captain Obvious. The problem is that it's the paying customer who gets punished for it. The pirates never stop getting their free games, ever.

Edit: Did I miss this or did you edit it in after I replied? "PC whining girls"?! You're a fucking idiot!...and apparently, a SecuRom fanboy too.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:46.

Aug 22, 2007, 16:24
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 16:24
Aug 22, 2007, 16:24

I think this is great!
Online authentication for games is great. Securom still needs some work though.

The devs needs to make back money for the millions they spent. Being that it isn't an MMO or a multiplayer game, their are no servers to authenticate with.
So how else are they to prevent hundreds of thousands of people downloading it and installing it without buying it on release day???
How???

These measures are in place because of a large section of PC gamers think it is cool to steal software that cost millions to make and they are honoring devs by playing it for free. As with most laws, it's those peoples fault procedures like this are necessary.

There has been more whining little children whining about this game than I have seen in a long time. It's crap like this developers don't need, as much as it sucks to say it, it actually makes sense to leave PC whining girls behind and just produce for consoles.

If anyone has a better solution to make sure they get money back on release day, feel free to share your wisdom, otherwise your complaints are worthless.
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:36.

Aug 22, 2007, 16:20
nin

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 16:20
Aug 22, 2007, 16:20
 nin

Do you honestly think it would matter nin?

I think that if they're going to be assholes about their copy protection, then they deserve to get some shit over it.

They're the ones that started this shit, not the paying customer. They're biting the hand that feeds them, and I don't appreciate that.

They can fix this at any time - why not give them an incentive to do so, by yelling about this to everyone you know?

They brought this on themselves, so fuck em.

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Aug 22, 2007, 16:12
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 16:12
Aug 22, 2007, 16:12

I have an opinion on this. All this copy protection stuff is not so that piracy will be more difficult, it's so that consumers willing to pay for the game will have to pay as much as possible.

What we're likely to see in the future is more restrictions placed on folks that have paid legally for the game because those are the easiest people to get money from. That means instead of you and your brother owning a copy of the game and taking turns on using the CD, you'll both need your own copy of the game for $60.

No issue of piracy was there before, but if they can get another $60 out of the 2 of you, why not do that?

It's not about piracy, it's about getting more money out of paying consumers. Piraters are never going to pay them, so they've stopped trying to combat them, now they are squeezing consumers by giving them less for more.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:13.

Aug 22, 2007, 16:11
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 16:11
Aug 22, 2007, 16:11

You're right about that Advocate. They don't give a shit. They've learned that even if a million of those annoying idiot customers complain, they still sell lots of copies, so who gives a shit about customer satisfaction. There's no money in that!

The only thing they remotely care about is the bottom line, which is why I hope all games using Starforce/Securom or any other bs antipiracy software/malware/virus get pirated enough to put the companies who publish them right out of business....boom!...Tits up. I want to see their bottom-line in the red. I want only the publishers who don't punish the paying customer to flourish while the asshole publishers have to hide their assets before their bankruptcy cases make it to court.

I can always dream can't I?

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 16:11.

Aug 22, 2007, 15:59
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 15:59
Aug 22, 2007, 15:59

Considering that I have 3500 Gigs of programs, pictures, music, games, and everything else that I own; it takes a little while for my tiny 500Gig drive to restore "that bloated image file".

But it's a lot faster than the rows of CDs & DVDs that I would otherwise need to install. I timed that before, and it was pretty close to your figure, except it was hours & minutes, not minutes & seconds.

Well, I guess you don't have a lot of data. Or maybe you keep it on a share at work. Me, I like my shit to remain personal. That's why I have only the data I don't care about so much connected to the net & everything else is on drives that I'll plug in if I require it. I should just build a 3rd computer & quit selling my old stuff whenever I upgrade.

Anyway Advocate, you might be able to install windows in less than a quarter hour; but you're still ugly.

Aug 22, 2007, 15:58
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:58
Aug 22, 2007, 15:58

Seriously, as gamers, we bitched about Starforce for a long, LONG time before companies finally started taking notice.

All we're going to get is bullshit assurances from stuffed shirts and the poor bastards that are hired as community reps who have to shill for the company because it's their job.

Aug 22, 2007, 15:48
nin

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:48
Aug 22, 2007, 15:48
 nin

I think we need to take it to the 2K forums and make some fucking noise...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bioshock: "You're soon beset by deranged flappers and dandies, like Jay Gatsby's party guests gone feral."

Aug 22, 2007, 15:46
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:46
Aug 22, 2007, 15:46

I'm seeing a trend lately where alot of paying customers, who used to mostly condemn piracy, are now cheering the hackers on because they're sick of these corporate morons and their ever-evolving ways of fucking the paying customer around.

Count me among them. I legitimately purchase my games but I still use cracks as keeping the disc in the tray or installing draconian copy protection schemes just isn't feasible.

The only reason I pay for games is because I want to see good games continue to be made. That's it.

No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 15:38
No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:38
Aug 22, 2007, 15:38

I had to try several times yesterday to activate this game before it finally worked (I think their database wasn't completed yet or something). And after finally getting the thing activated over the internet, I STILL need the fucking DVD in the tray to start it!!! What the #### is wrong with these assholes?!

Will the repugnant, obtuse and retarded corporate cockroaches that insist on using these lameass useless antipiracy measures ever realize that the only people that ever get inconvenienced by this bullshit are the paying customers?! The hackers, as usual, get the noteriety for cracking the game (as they ALWAYS DO), the pirates who download the cracked games get a hassle-free gaming experience for nothing, and the idiot paying customers are the only ones who get punished, again and again, being forced to jump through this hoop or that, all for being stupid enough to pay for their software.

I can't wait to see BioShock cracked and available for download. I will advertise the fact (even in securom's forums if I can). I mean, why the fuck would these arrogant idiots make you keep the disk in the tray when you had to activate online with your computer's hardware signature?

I'm seeing a trend lately where alot of paying customers, who used to mostly condemn piracy, are now cheering the hackers on because they're sick of these corporate morons and their ever-evolving ways of fucking the paying customer around. How long is it going to be before these arrogant dickheads start forcing us to do finger-print and retina scans every time we start a game?

All the power to H2O or whoever is doing the cracking these days. Show those pencil-dicked corporate pus-sacs how much their antipiracy measures are worth!

No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 15:35
No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:35
Aug 22, 2007, 15:35

It's a good thing I'm totally jaded about PC gaming now, because I'd otherwise be extremely disappointed in this game. As it is now though, I'm not disappointed at all... this is just par for the course. It almost seems like they are trying to make PC gaming not worth the hassle and expense.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 15:37.

Aug 22, 2007, 15:34
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:34
Aug 22, 2007, 15:34

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. Securom is fully intact, complete with the 2 installation limit. It's been posted already by a Steam Staffer.

Wow, that is really disappointing. Did Take Two or 2K make any of this clear prior to launching this? I really take offense when companies try and slip this stuff under the radar like this.

No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 15:24
No subject Aug 22, 2007, 15:24
Aug 22, 2007, 15:24

they do not make provisions for hard drive failure. oh thats right... we are supposed to have hard drives that never fail.

Bah
Aug 22, 2007, 15:19
Bah Aug 22, 2007, 15:19
Aug 22, 2007, 15:19

I think I'll be getting a crack for this. I installed it on my work computer, and then on the Vista partition of my home computer last night. I was going to install on my XP partition to see how it compared, but apparently I need to uninstall it from either work or Vista before I do that. That sucks.

156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older