More on BioShock Activation

A post to the 2K Forums by 2K Elizabeth goes a little further into how the SecuROM online activation required to play BioShock (story) works when attempting multiple installs:
first, let me say this. you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE INTERNET EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THIS GAME. it is only the first time.

second, you can uninstall and reinstall this game, and if, by chance, you have 2 computers you want to simultaneously play this game on, you also can do that.

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

but if you upgrade your hardware next week, you'll still be able to play the game. if you revamp your system and need to reinstall bioshock, just uninstall it before you go through the overhaul, and then do your reinstall.

calling it "hardware fingerprinting" is a bit alarmist. we do not transmit any of your data to any companies.

really, the only people who will be concerned about any of these security measures are those who are rapidly putting bioshock on many pcs... if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.
View : : :
156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 22, 2007, 18:16
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:16
Aug 22, 2007, 18:16

Funny how this was NOT the case for harder to pirate (mostly online) games like Diablo 2, Q3A or UT where people wanted or needed to have their own copy and their own accounts. Those games sold much longer and on a much more consistent basis.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that those games were primarily played online and have much greater longevity (and thus, shelf-life) than single-player games?

And UT didn't have any CD-key or protection. You could play a pirated copy just fine online.

I don't doubt that kids are impatient. But I do doubt that kids make up a large portion of game pirates.

Aug 22, 2007, 18:10
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:10
Aug 22, 2007, 18:10

Yeah...don't explain

I'd be delighted to explain.

Nine out of ten days I don't care what some tragically uninformed individual -- such as yourself -- thinks, about anything.

But on that tenth day... I don't know. Maybe I dreamt of something that pissed me off the night before. Maybe the caffeine was a little light in the coffee this morning. Maybe I'm hypersensitive to planetary alignment. I don't know. But on that tenth day, for whatever reason, when I see someone like you saying things that range from wildly inaccurate to way fucking wrong, I choose to call you on it.

Not only are you wrong, you're also not bright enough to just shut the fuck up when someone points out your error. You can't help yourself. You are compelled beyond your will to prove to me just how big an idiot you really are. You'll most likely do it again, after this.

And that, my friend, is why I don't bother listening to you nine days out of ten.

By the way, I don't care about the copy protection in this game. My only interest here is that you'll spend the rest of the day knowing you were wrong.

Aug 22, 2007, 18:09
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:09
Aug 22, 2007, 18:09

How does this = more people buying the game?

The people who want to play the game but don't want to pay for it will go buy it now? Why would they not simply wait for a crack and play it then?

Because people (especially kids) are fucking impatient as hell. I used to work in games retail. When a really popular game came out that was cracked early you had about 80% of your customers in the first three days (day before street date, street date, the day after). Funny how this was NOT the case for harder to pirate (mostly online) games like Diablo 2, Q3A or UT where people wanted or needed to have their own copy and their own accounts. Those games sold much longer and on a much more consistent basis.
So there. I can tell you from first hand experience that the first few days of release are extremely important. Kids immediately go warez if there is a warez version available on release day. And then they laugh at their friends who were "stupid" enough to pay for the game. Sad but true.

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

Aug 22, 2007, 18:06
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:06
Aug 22, 2007, 18:06

Oh, and btw, with the sleazy tendency for publishers to knowingly shove unfinished/bug-ridden product onto store shelves, it is becoming more and more common for gamers to state in forums that they wait for patches to get released before buying. After seeing the disgustingly unfinished state of Silent Hunter: WOTP and Armed Assault on release, it doesn't sound like bad advice. It prolly won't be long before it is considered to be utterly stupid to buy games on release day if the trend continues, but that's a whole other can o worms.

Help understanding this please?
Aug 22, 2007, 18:03
Help understanding this please? Aug 22, 2007, 18:03
Aug 22, 2007, 18:03

How is this not Malware or a Rootkit?
securom installs software or a root kit to your system and monitors your system configurations and installations of games at very least, we know about.
This software decides and determines if your games/software will be allowed to run.

You are Not notified of this or given a choice about installing this software/rootkit/malware and once its installed you can NOT get rid of it, short of doing a format, afaik.

Examples I have read about and found are 3 securom folders, 1 in your Administrator\Application Data\Securom and 2 in your Regestry Current User\Software\Securom and Users\ \Software\securom, these folders can NOT be deleted and remain after you have uninstalled the Demo.

Someone please help me out here, thanks.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Aug 22, 2007, 18:00
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:00

They succeeded in releasing the game without any pirated versions available anywhere. So if people wanted to play it the last couple days, they had to buy it = Success.

Actually, that's incorrect. The 360 version was pirated as soon as the game was prematurely sold at Toys 'R Us. And the PC version will inevitably be cracked.

In addition, anybody who absolutely HAD to play it on the first day would have bought it anyway. Most pirates are more than willing to wait a few days or even weeks.

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 18:00

Yeah...don't explain or show us numbers from a credible source or anything. We'll just take your word for it.

What the fuck do you know? How the fuck should I know. Oh wait...wait! You're Some Dude!!! OMG. Aren't you the guy who made Some Game? My apologies!

was gonna buy it
Aug 22, 2007, 17:59
was gonna buy it Aug 22, 2007, 17:59
Aug 22, 2007, 17:59

all this crap made me decide to just download it, less trouble

Aug 22, 2007, 17:56
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:56
Aug 22, 2007, 17:56

SecuROM = no buy for me

Boycott SecuROM

Re: The Advocate
Aug 22, 2007, 17:54
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 17:54
Aug 22, 2007, 17:54

I think most people that download for free would buy when they have to, if they really want it.

I agree with this, but SecuRom doesn't accomplish this in my opinion. The best solution is make an online game, like an MMO, where the content can't be accessed without remote assitance.

The content is accessible in these games, the door is locked though and that is all this program does is open the door. There are a lot of ways around and the only ones who end up opening that door as intended are paying customers.

At best this program makes reselling the game more difficult, and makes running the game in an internet cafe more difficult. For people who want to give it to 10 of their friends I have no doubt that they will wait for a crack and it will be here very shortly.

Aug 22, 2007, 17:52
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:52
Aug 22, 2007, 17:52

Why do you keep babbling about release day? It's not a fucking movie

You'll want to refrain from calling anyone else an idiot while you're making statements such as the one quoted above. It's more like a movie than you think, Chuckles. But what the fuck do I know, right? I only make the goddamn things for a living.

BLUE'S NEWS AWARD
Aug 22, 2007, 17:48
Kxmode

BLUE'S NEWS AWARD Aug 22, 2007, 17:48
Aug 22, 2007, 17:48
 Kxmode

for most popular threads goes to BioShock! 6! In the entire 3-4 years I've visited this site I've never seen all six go to one game!

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 22, 2007, 17:44
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:44
Aug 22, 2007, 17:44

So if people wanted to play it the last couple days, they had to buy it = Success

How does this = more people buying the game?

The people who want to play the game but don't want to pay for it will go buy it now? Why would they not simply wait for a crack and play it then?

Aug 22, 2007, 17:42
Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:42
Aug 22, 2007, 17:42

Why do you keep babbling about release day? It's not a fucking movie, and if you think someone who's likely to pirate a game is gonna suddenly decide to buy it because he simply must have it on "release day", you're even more of an idiot than all your "little children/PC whining girls/ruffled panties" comments would indicate.

I think your "area of expertise" is blathering on without having a clue what you're talking about. Either that or you work for (or know) one of these anti-piracy parasites and are trying to feed us some bullshit company line.

Aug 22, 2007, 17:38
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 17:38
Aug 22, 2007, 17:38

I don't, I think they will just keep working until they crack the game and then get to play it free for later...

How do developers end up with more money by making it take a day or 2 to crack the game?

OK...
Do you think that the people that were highly anticipating this game, which also download games for free when they can, would have bought the game on release day if they have already played through it for the couple days they have been playing it before release? I would say a huge majority - No. Very few people would buy it after the fact and say that was a good game so let me go to the store and buy the DVD(which i don't need) just so I can pay the devs.

We would be talking tens or hundreds of thousands of people if it was an easy torrent. Most of those would be sales otherwise.

Alot of people when they anticipate a game, especially with review scores like this one, want in the first couple days it is released. Ofcourse you may have those that never buy a game either way, they are scourge and yes you won't get anything from them. I think most people that download for free would buy when they have to, if they really want it.

Re: Securom demo
Aug 22, 2007, 17:32
Re: Securom demo Aug 22, 2007, 17:32
Aug 22, 2007, 17:32

Nope. Its because people were using the unprotected demo exe's to make the cracked retail exe's.

Securom demo
Aug 22, 2007, 17:30
Securom demo Aug 22, 2007, 17:30

The demo had Securom too, I assume because it was more work to remove its greasy tendrils from the game code than just releasing it as is.

I only know this because before installing, I updated my video drivers, and being ATI, I wanted to kill the atiexx or whatever processes. I use Process Explorer on my system. Once that was done, I fired up the demo installer and it wouldn't work because it had "detected a process explorer running" in the background. PE wasn't running at the time, and nothing I could do short of rebooting would convince the demo installer that it wasn't.
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

Re: No subject Aug 22, 2007, 17:30

@Space Captain..

So how else are they to prevent hundreds of thousands of people downloading it and installing it without buying it on release day???
How???

They arent. Period. How many times must you naive little fucks be told? Pirates ALWAYS win. I know it may send shivers up your throbbing sore anus to feel like you and "the good guys" stand alone on top of a mountain of righteousness, but unfortunately thats nothing more than a childish fantasy. Speaking of that, people like you are why the matrix exists.

Keep on bleating, you stupid fucks. Enjoy your "bliss".

Naive? I'm sure I have forgotten more about networking and application security than you will ever know, considering it is my area of expertise. But you seem to be another person that doesn't understand what "release day" means. They succeeded in releasing the game without any pirated versions available anywhere. So if people wanted to play it the last couple days, they had to buy it = Success. I think their is only fake cracks currently, nothing real yet.

To say that it will be pirated eventually, as if you are providing some ground breaking information, well, let's just say that's a naive statement - like duh. LOL
Maybe they should just spend 20 million dollars on development, not try and dissuade people from downloading it for free, just give it away for free then promptly send the team to the unemployment line and close the doors. Is that your solution?

Steam like authentication could be a different solution in calling home each time the game starts, but that would cause other issues in dialing up each time and many people hate steams authentication so you can't please everyone.

Re: besides uninstalling...
Aug 22, 2007, 17:19
Re: besides uninstalling... Aug 22, 2007, 17:19
Aug 22, 2007, 17:19

Besides the whole "just remember to uninstall before you reinstall" thing

I'd like to see them put a webpage up that let's you deactivate installs that you know are gone. Enter your key and get a list of machines it is registered to (maybe just give the machine name in case someone breaks in, they don't get any info). Then just click a button to deactivate installs.

Aug 22, 2007, 17:15
Re: The Advocate Aug 22, 2007, 17:15
Aug 22, 2007, 17:15

I suggest you do your part to curb people pirating, that is the real cause as you agree, not trying to attack some developer for trying their best to insure they get return in the first week when demand is high.

Doesn't this program just curb piracy temporarily? I mean if this program stops people from stealing/pirating the game on or around release day do you think those people will bite the bullet and go buy the game that day?

I don't, I think they will just keep working until they crack the game and then get to play it free for later...

How do developers end up with more money by making it take a day or 2 to crack the game?

156 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older