Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Beta Reset Planned

badman's Beta Blog has word on plans for an account reset in the Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars demo, saying they are looking to stress the backend infrastructure for account registration and their ability to roll back statistics:
The wipe is currently scheduled for this coming Wednesday (August 22, 2007), at which point you will no longer be able to play unless you re-create your account in the manner described above. The statistics are also going to be reset that day.

The other test we’re running is currently taking place on a much smaller scale and concerns the statistics roll-back and restoration functionality. In the final game, we’ll be able to use this to combat statistics exploits, padding, and other unwanted activity. To make sure that rolling back and restoring statistics on a large scale is as seamless and robust a process as it can be, 5000 beta accounts have been randomly selected for this test and their owners have already been notified. Essentially, we’re be rolling back the statistics for those accounts by several hours, followed by returning them to their original, pre-rollback state. We’re taking great care during this process, but since this is still a beta, there is a chance that the statistics may be corrupted during the test.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Reset off my computer.
Aug 20, 2007, 11:13
Com
Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 11:13
Aug 20, 2007, 11:13
Com

It kills me because I had higher hopes for this game than any other upcoming online shooter, but I've given up and this thing is off my drive now. It might well turn into the farce of the year looking at how few people are playing the beta. Tribes:V beta had more people playing it.

Re: Reset off my computer.
Aug 20, 2007, 11:28
Enahs

Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 11:28
Aug 20, 2007, 11:28
 Enahs

That is the problem with a closed BETA.
At times there is like maybe 100 people playing, and at other times I have seen 10,000 at once (all in the past week, too).

I absolutely love the game my self.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 20, 2007, 11:31
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 11:31
Aug 20, 2007, 11:31

It might well turn into the farce of the year looking at how few people are playing the beta.

What the hell is up with people not liking this game? Are they just getting frustrated by the learning curve and giving up? Do people expect to play exactly like BF and when it doesn't they don't want to adjust their play style? I've had more fun with this than any other multiplayer shooter since, well, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's fast paced and exciting, yet still quite deep. Perhaps not as deep as Tribes but certainly more so than any other of its competition. Regardless, there is a ton of stuff to do in the game and whenever I get tired of playing one role I just play another for a while. As a result, the game continues to feel fresh and fun every time I play it. Meh, everyone else's loss I suppose.

Aug 20, 2007, 11:38
Enahs

Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 11:38
Aug 20, 2007, 11:38
 Enahs

I completely agree SMA. I have yet to understand peoples problem with it.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):

- W. C. Fields

Aug 20, 2007, 11:56
Flo

Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 11:56
Aug 20, 2007, 11:56
 Flo

I just started playing the beta about a week ago. I'm a veteran Quake/UT/BF player myself and I agree that the learning curve is pretty harsh. I also found the mouse to be lagging but that went away once I disabled some shader effects. It's certainly not for the casual player since it's really fast and unforgiving but what the hell, it's fun!
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Aug 20, 2007, 12:09
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 12:09
Aug 20, 2007, 12:09

This is still going on?

I need to find the email that had my beta key and check it out.

Aug 20, 2007, 12:38
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 12:38
Aug 20, 2007, 12:38

Tribes:V beta had more people playing it.
Tribes:V was on my purchase list until they made a harsh change to the beta which affected the way jumping / jetting worked, after that I never played it again.

This game is one of the few I considered upgrading my PC for, but now I'm not sure about that.

Aug 20, 2007, 12:44
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 12:44
Aug 20, 2007, 12:44

It took me a week or two, but now I love this game. Resetting the stats, however, is painful. I may just wait until the game goes live to play again. The Valley map is getting a wee bit old. Hopefully there are a lot maps in the full version.

One thing I don't understand, and maybe one of you can answer, is about the stats. I see my achievements pop up from time to time, specifically the one about getting a faster lock-on time with the rocket launcher. Is that not a persistent item? I'm playing on ranked servers, but I know I've seen that at least a few times. I thought I would keep it between games.

Aug 20, 2007, 13:00
Enahs

Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 13:00
Aug 20, 2007, 13:00
 Enahs

The special items are not persistent. I prefer it this way, so people who have been playing a while do not get a advantage in equipment.

- W. C. Fields

No subject
Aug 20, 2007, 13:02
No subject Aug 20, 2007, 13:02
Aug 20, 2007, 13:02

My issue with the game is that I was expecting a bigger difference visually from BF, and honestly, game play less like BF. So I am a little disappointed at that. I might still pick it up on release, though.

Aug 20, 2007, 13:11
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 20, 2007, 13:11
Aug 20, 2007, 13:11

I see my achievements pop up from time to time, specifically the one about getting a faster lock-on time with the rocket launcher. Is that not a persistent item?

Unlocks stay with you through a campaign but are then reset. Campaigns are the three map rotations that most servers run. If you get an unlock in the first map, then you get to keep it through the end of the third map. After that, or if you change servers, the unlock is reset. In the full version you'll see three separate maps composing a campaign, rather than the same map played three times. The maps in a campaign will be thematically or narratively linked together, although as far as I know the outcome of one map in the campaign won't affect the next.

The Valley map is getting a wee bit old.

A dozen maps will ship with the game with more to come as the game is patched and updated through its lifecycle.

Re: No subject
Aug 20, 2007, 13:47
Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 13:47
Aug 20, 2007, 13:47

My issue with the game is that I was expecting a bigger difference visually from BF, and honestly, game play less like BF. So I am a little disappointed at that. I might still pick it up on release, though.

You don't think there's a big difference visually between the two? BF2 and 2142 are graphically a joke compared to Quake Wars.

Aug 20, 2007, 14:27
Com
Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:27
Aug 20, 2007, 14:27
Com

I don't know about that sphinx. I don't find BF2 to be graphically a joke at all, in fact I think it's quite good in that regard. I also remember it ran silky smooth on an AMD64 /w 7800gtx. QW is jerky, even after an hour+ of com_unlock fps/timingmethod/etc tweaking, on a C2D /w 8800gtx. I understand the technical prowess of the game, I just don't think it translates very well into a good looking game; especially not at the performance price.

As far as what I don't like, it's two things. 1) inconsistent feel due to laggy and jerky engine (nothing to do with my setup/ISP) and 2) horrible vehicles that only detract from gameplay IMO.

I'm not trying to toot my horn, but my dislike for the game has nothing to do with my unwillingness to learn or adapt. I've been very good at FPS games for a long time, and that hasn't changed a bit in QW. The feel/vehicles is that kills it for me.

No subject
Aug 20, 2007, 14:36
No subject Aug 20, 2007, 14:36
Aug 20, 2007, 14:36

They shouldn't have even put stat tracking into the game, completely pointless and just turns people into stat whores which as BF2 has shown ruins teamplay.

I bet there are quite a few people out there who will think they’ll be able to unlock stuff like in BF2 with this game.

For a deathmatchy type game the weapons are boring and the gunplay & movement didn’t feel right (maybe due to the 30fps lock somewhat), especially one based off of the Quake theme. Give me Quake II weapons and even bring back some DOOM favorites.

The distance between spawns and the objectives while relatively close together like in Wolf:ET to keep the action level pumped up more or less makes the vehicles feel unnecessary, not to mention their overall handling still isn’t even close to being on par to the likes of the vehicles in BF2.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the sound fx used in the game, mostly the voices "GREEEEEEEEEEERNAAAAAAAADE", they over processed them.

The game doesn’t look bad visually but it won’t win anyone over on eyecandy alone.

The games ultimate demise will be blamed on trying to be too complex, even Carmack feels this way about the game, but the design problems with the game run much deeper than that.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 01:03.

Aug 20, 2007, 15:32
Re: No subject Aug 20, 2007, 15:32
Aug 20, 2007, 15:32

I think the features of the game don't match the speed or the gameplay mechanics. I said from day 1 of the beta, and I say that now as someone playing Beta2 nightly. It just feels off.

I much prefer the Strogg weapons and vehicles to the GDF's.
the deployables seem like a nicety, but not a must have.
I'm left wondering where the internal base defenses are? you meant to tell me I have a base I am defending, but I have no internal turrets or whatever? good planning soldier.

I think I look at all the features this games has and think to myself "it should act and react like Tribes".. I am perhaps being unfair.

---------------------
re Tribes:V
I beta tested Tribes:V and was a vocal tester, reporting issues nonstop. I remember telling the devs and fanboys that if they kept up with their current speed and mechanics and going for the twitchyness, that the game wouldn't survive. I was told to shut up and leave.. turns out, I was right.
-----------
Unreal XMP was the closest thing we had to a real Tribes sequel, too bad that game ran like a pig on the highest end systems. If it were a stand alone game, on a better outdoorsy engine, it wouldve rocked everyone.
I heard that the guys that made Unreal XMP are doing work for UT3? that correct?

Re:
Aug 20, 2007, 16:40
Re: Aug 20, 2007, 16:40
Aug 20, 2007, 16:40

I'm prepared to agree the learning curve is steep.... I've been trying to engrose myself in this game, but it's a big change to just my usual Quake.

As for graphics and performance. I cranked everything up to maximum and I think there is one setting that allows for 'Ultra'. I think I only went 2FSAA, though and run it at 1280 x 1024. Runs smoothly on my machine and it's not state of the art. AMD 4600x2, 2GB RAM and 7900GT running Vista. I think the latest NVidia drivers were targeted specifically at this BETA and that may be why it runs way better than I expected.

I had been expecting to need to upgrade for this, Bioshock and UT3. But unless one of them absolutely tanks on this system, I won't need to.

Aug 21, 2007, 04:12
Re: Reset off my computer. Aug 21, 2007, 04:12
Aug 21, 2007, 04:12

I havent tried the beta but Im somewhat shocked at how many folks mention it and compare it to Tribes or that things dont feel like Tribes. To me QuakeWars and BF are more alike. Tribes is kind of a different game all together. What I think many are trying to say, is that the physics and game engine dont have the smooth physics of movment and that the game engine is jerky and shifty.

The older Quake 2 or Tribes/Tribes2 had such smooth movement and great netcode. The engine wasn't shifty (like the old Unreal engine). The genius of Tribes is that it was smooth even with large maps, lots of players and vehicles. I think a lot of the challenge in the future is to make massive mulitplayer team based games where the engine can handle large maps, lots of players with the addition of more eye candy. Personally games look pretty damn good already. I'll take the gameplay over having the most state of the art graphics any day.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 04:17.

No subject
Aug 21, 2007, 05:11
No subject Aug 21, 2007, 05:11
Aug 21, 2007, 05:11

Well I have to say that the reason Quake Wars is biting the big one in beta is that everyone wants to play Strogg. So you end up typically with a whole bunch of clan people on Strogg side, while the GDF has all the newcomers and a few of the people waiting for a chance to switch sides. So no one really tries too hard as GDF because they are just waiting for their chance to hop teams.

Only time people want to play GDF is when the Strogg team just happens to have a bunch of non-skilled people on it and they get tired of losing. Then you end up with the GDF team stacked against a team of people who barely know how to play.

Not to mention the fact that aside from the tank and the general more powerful feel of the assault rifle versus lacerator; GDF is boring as all hell. I mean we got humans trying to get an invading alien army off Earth, and we can muster one tank, one apc, a couple jeeps with pea shooters, and some four wheelers?

I mean shit, people take a jeep, high powered rifles and four wheelers hunting deer and we got an INVADING ALIEN ARMY.

And then when you get a foot hold you can muster up a really lame troop transport that barely has any shooting radius..or nothing that's helpful when you pretty much fly a straight line to the target. And an attack plane after you spent the first 10 minutes of the map being picked on by the Tormentor.

If you're gonna have some vehicles in the game, call me crazy but it'd be nice to have them to use when they really would do some good instead of getting them when the enemy has you narrowed down to a bridge or water crossing.

It's just artificial as hell to bring "balance", but there's nothing interesting at all about GDF besides when someone gets plugged by friendly or alien weapons you can zap em once and bring them back to half health instanteously as many times as needed. Which if I had to classify GDF it'd be "zerging" simply due to the instant revives...but if I understand it correctly. Strogg are the "corpse" race, which should make them the zergers........

The coolness factor of Strogg versus GDF shows when you look at the artillery guys Field Ops/Oppressor and Covert Ops/Infiltrator. While they got the same basics....

Field Ops:
- Artillery guns, 3 choices.
- Ability to call down artillery in differing methods depending on gun type that was air dropped.
- Air Strike grenade.
- Ability to give ammo to self and others via packs.

Opressor:

Everything that the Field Ops has minus ability to give ammo to self (ignoring the innate stroyent swap things all the Strogg classes have).
Plus - Shield that can take substantial fire...so you can stand out in the open throw down two shield and call your artillery wherever you want..and a sniper would have to shoot your shields down to just snipe you. Or someone would have to rocket you successfully, etc. Add to this the fact that you can get to heights the humans cant via the jump packs.

Covert Ops:
-Disguise as enemy
-Sniper gun or high accuracy automatic.
-Radar deployable
-Third Eye Camera
-Silenced MP with unlocks...helpful beyond words.

Infiltrator:
-Disguise
-Railgun, accurized laccy
-Psi Radar
-Flyer Drone (useful for taking out people way above/below or around corners on mountains when you have no jump pack to use)
-Teleporter (plunk it down, go lay down a radar warp yourself back).

They seem similar on paper when you list the stuff, but when you FULLY utilize these classes and all their extras. Most people would agree that Strogg have a definiate advantage. The only time I'd say a third eye makes a huge huge difference is at the shield gen step if you can get one in the shield area, and at the blowing the contaminator step...if you can get one close. But you can build a radar close to the contam if you capture bridge, so it's only really useful at the shield gen part...and even then you're not gaining a huge advantage of knowing how people people are there since you still have to kill them to hack.

So, I was hoping to see the game add some cool things in for GDF, and experience one GDF defense map to see how thoroughly Strogg stomps GDF. A Hog could take out most of your defense deployables in 3 runs. Not to mention tormentors shooting your base from across the map. That map would have to be really flat so the Strogg snipes can't take high ground and kill your entire team.

So my verdict is: It's fun if you can play Strogg because GDF is just too farkin' boring. I ask myself, where's the human guile....no traps besides trip mines? No taking an enemy deployable and making it work against them or feed wrong info? No smart placements for deployables (mainly a map flaw)? They need to spice it up a bit for GDF or make some strogg vs. strogg maps.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer