BioShock PC Demo Nears

Upon the release of the Xbox 360 BioShock demo (story), The Cult of Rapture (thanks Ray Marden) has word that the PC edition of the demo is to be expected "later this month." An official announcement about the PC demo is expected sometime today:
For those of you who are looking for a BioShock demo on the PC, it is in the works and will be out later this month. I'll give you more details about it tomorrow.
View : : :
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 13, 2007, 16:03
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 16:03
Aug 13, 2007, 16:03

Lastly, trackball users can go to hell. Freaks.
I used to use a Microsoft Trackball Optical for gaming (I still use the trackball at work), and even though I was never big into online gaming, I never found it to inhibit my gaming. I could play FPS's just as well (if not better) with the trackball. It's nice to never have to pick up the mouse and reposition it. That said, I went back to mice again a few years back. But sometimes I wish somebody still made a decent gaming trackball. I've never liked Logitech's trackballs, and Microsoft doesn't make them anymore.

Oh, and if anybody uses those trackballs with the ball in the center of the trackball, I would call them freaks too. Trackballs with the ball on the side (for your thumb) are the only way to go.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 16:05.

Aug 13, 2007, 15:53
Enahs

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:53
Aug 13, 2007, 15:53
 Enahs

The mouse... it just functions as an extension of the arm. It's fluid and takes no experience. It in no way limits your precision.

Hah hah hah.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No wait, no, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, but it takes a lot of skill and practice to get good with mouse aiming.

Maybe if you play on easy and throw thousands of bullets at the bad guys, sure.

Most people with mouse aiming have an accuracy of less then 18%. I am basing this number of various statistics published from stats of games you can look up, PC only.

18% accuracy is horrible.

For the average console only player, aiming with a mouse is many times harder then aiming with a controller, with or without auto-aiming.

Everbody uses a mouse everyday and think "ohh this should be easy". Most people absolutely suck with it.

If you have not noticed, a lot of SP, PC, FPS games played with a mouse now come with auto-aiming, because unless you have been playing them for years, it is difficult.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 13, 2007, 15:49
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:49
Aug 13, 2007, 15:49

My opinion is that gamepads just, simply, are not as accurate. Combine it with the generally lower resolution or lower framerates (with an eye towards animation and smoothness) and you have a triple whammy.

In general, shooters on a console have to accomodate this in one way or another:
  • Reduced accuracy/difficulty of the enemy combatants. Effectively, making the game easier to account for the inferior control method.
  • Giving the player super armor, health, or numerous, plentiful ways to heal. Again, accounting for the less accurate control method.
  • Slowing the game somehow. This can be slowing incoming attacks, giving more time to aim/shoot, all the way to adding in a zoom option, giving accuracy, or simply making the player aim/move really slowly, making it possible for the player to eventually line up an aimed shot.
  • Auto-aim. There are other times where this comes into play, but it's a direct admission of the gamepad's input shortcomings. There can literally be times where you can never get the shot exactly on the target - there are only so many finite positions that the cursor will only be on the left side or right side of the target, but never directly on the target (think of a really small, far away target.) We do not want to screw over the player for this so we'll give them a little boost - we'll let the cursor hit a target within a few positions of where it's placed.

Obviously, there are some additional variations of this, but these are all, on the whole, ways to accomodate the inferior input.

However, I do not think that is inherently wrong. Looking at screwing gamers over or making a small change to play a game and have fun, I am all for it. However, it does cause more issues with you get into competition, especially any PC users versus console user experience. Should the PC user, who only wants accurate control, have gimped input because of the console user? Should the console user routinely die because they cannot be as responsive or accurate? There can be times where one gets the feeling of "unfairness" due to this.

And yes, you can work and learn to help account for these things. The mouse is more accurate than the gamepad, but is the mouse the ultimate input? Absolutely not - I can respond to things in real life much better and accurately than I could with the mouse.

Or how many of use were playing the old shooters with a keyboard? I was lethal in Doom. I was a damn serial killer in Duke Nukem 3D and that added a vertical axis as well. I could run and jump up, switch to a new weapon, shoot this one thing, immediately slide to the side, duck into something, shoot again, and then immediately fly high into the sky, simultaneously strafing to the side and shooting downard.

But now? Umm...I can get around okay. But give me fully robust mouse controls, please! Yes, you can learn to be effective with nearly everything, but if you have already experience something with greater control and response, why would anybody willingly want to go back?
And I won't get into the discussion of how camera's affect gameplay.
And we - or at least I - do that all the time. I always combare something to the "best" I have seen, be it graphics, story, sound, control, options, details, style, etc.

Think of it another way. Even if somebody thinks that gamepads are great, do they make the effort to replace the mouse on their computer with a gamepad? Even if just for gaming? On the whole, they do not. Why not? Because the mouse is superior.

Lastly, trackball users can go to hell. Freaks.

Noting this is not a specific reply to Tumbler, but an overall reply,
Ray

-----
Q_Q
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 13, 15:50.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Aug 13, 2007, 15:45
PHJF

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:45
Aug 13, 2007, 15:45
 PHJF

Well its true to an extent. The gamepad is such a shitty option for aiming in twitch-based shooters. It's impossible to turn quickly enough without sacrificing precision. Lost Planet sort of had the right idea when they added multiple aiming schemes that offered balance between aiming and turning.

The mouse... it just functions as an extension of the arm. It's fluid and takes no experience. It in no way limits your precision.

------
"That don't look like no golden marmoset I ever seen!"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

No subject
Aug 13, 2007, 15:44
No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:44
Aug 13, 2007, 15:44

PC demo should be out at same time as xbox. At this point developers and publisher of BioShock showed me lack of interest in PC community by leaving "us" behind xbox.

Shame. I planned to be nice but now I have other plans thanks to them pi**ing on the PC version of the game. Thanks for showing your true colors 2kGames.
This comment was edited on Aug 13, 15:47.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Aug 13, 2007, 15:37
Enahs

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:37
 Enahs

Aiming on the gamepad with the assistance of an auto aim feature takes the same skill as aiming with no assistance with a mouse....I don't see why people get hung up on this.

Wait, what?

Could you clarify?

Did you just say that playing a game with auto-aiming takes the same skill as a game without auto-aiming?

I love my mouse and keyboard for FPS, console controllers are great for somethings. They are just different, and if one prefers the other, fine.

But to say using one with auto-aiming requires the same skill as using the other without auto-aiming just boggles my mind.

Are you high?

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: Wow..
Re: Wow.. Aug 13, 2007, 15:37

Well I just played through the 360 demo and I'm as stoked for this as I ever was. Aside from those who think that they've automatically been spat on because the PC demo didn't come out at the same second or because the came even came out on a console at all, I think many will like this. The only reason I'm buying it on 360 is because my PC can't come close to running it well and I can't afford to upgrade until next year. Assuming they have put the effort into the PC version they claim (which I will judge when I actually get to try it), I think this will be very impressive.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Aug 13, 2007, 15:35
PHJF

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:35
Aug 13, 2007, 15:35
 PHJF

but choosing the PC experience because of the keyboard mouse means using a smaller screen, sitting at a desk, getting stereo sound. Choosing the 360 experience comes on a 46" TV, 5.1 sound, a comfortable couch, and a controller.

Yes, we already know Tumbler is retarded.

------

Aug 13, 2007, 15:33
PHJF

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:33
Aug 13, 2007, 15:33
 PHJF

Keyboard + Mouse > gamepad no matter how you try an spin it

Except you're wrong, right there. KEYBOARD. Keyboard = a bit-based peripheral; the key is either down, or it isn't. We get the mouse for ultra-accurate precision aiming, but what about ultra-accurate precision movement? No degree-based input.

This is most painfully evident if you've ever tried to play a driving game on a keyboard. There's a reason I have my mouse/keyboard, dual-thumbstick gamepad, and steering wheel/pedals all for my PC

------

Aug 13, 2007, 15:32
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:32
Aug 13, 2007, 15:32

It's sorta like saying that using a shotgun to blast the top off a target at 50m takes the same amount of skill as drilling a bullet between the eye at 50m with a pistol.

I assure you they are not equal.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 15:32.
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Aug 13, 2007, 15:23
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 15:23
Aug 13, 2007, 15:23

Aiming on the gamepad with the assistance of an auto aim feature takes the same skill as aiming with no assistance with a mouse....

Autoaim is cheating. Plain and simple.

Re: Hope it is good.
Aug 13, 2007, 15:20
nin
Re: Hope it is good. Aug 13, 2007, 15:20
Aug 13, 2007, 15:20
nin

I wonder how's the Xbox's demo is.

fuckin awesome!

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.neonbible.com
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

Hope it is good.
Aug 13, 2007, 15:12
Ant

Hope it is good. Aug 13, 2007, 15:12
Aug 13, 2007, 15:12
 Ant

I hope it will be good. I loved System Shock 2, but BioShock doesn't excite me from its screen shots and videos. Let's see if the demo proves me wrong. Actually, I don't mind if it being sucky (one less game for me), hehe.

I wonder how's the Xbox's demo is.

Wow..
Aug 13, 2007, 14:58
Wow.. Aug 13, 2007, 14:58
Aug 13, 2007, 14:58

So many people whining about the demo not coming out before the game does. You know how your life now is pretty rad? You have that mountain of old videogames you've acquired over the years, not to mention it's fucking summer right now and the weather (assuming you're above the equator) is good most days.. go outside, read a book, play a classic, go get wasted, write a program, buy some shrooms.. fucking enjoy your life rather than wasting it in this anticipatory state. Drooling over something which does not yet exist is an absurd waste of your freedom.

Drooling and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
I eat pasta!

No subject
Aug 13, 2007, 14:43
No subject Aug 13, 2007, 14:43
Aug 13, 2007, 14:43

releasing a demo after the game is out is like not letting critics to see your movie before the general audience, either way we'll find out if the game has been dumbed down for the PC.

Of course there are those who don't like to admit that they've wasted their money and will vehemently defend it on this premise alone.

Aug 13, 2007, 14:42
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 14:42
Aug 13, 2007, 14:42

The whole gamepad/auto-aim arguement doesn't make sense to me. Aiming on the gamepad with the assistance of an auto aim feature takes the same skill as aiming with no assistance with a mouse....I don't see why people get hung up on this.
Apples/oranges argument. Apples and oranges are both fruit but they taste different. Mouse/keyboard and gamepads are both input devices but the experience is different. Auto aim is a consequence of this input difference implemented by developers.
I would love to have the option to use mouse and keyboard on some games, mainly RTS games, but choosing the PC experience because of the keyboard mouse means using a smaller screen, sitting at a desk, getting stereo sound. Choosing the 360 experience comes on a 46" TV, 5.1 sound, a comfortable couch, and a controller.
Preposterous. You can hook up your PC to TV's. Sitting on a desk is more likely so you have a point there since keyboards and mice need to placed on a surface. However you can have a 5.1 sound experience with PC games just like on consoles.

Finally your last paragraph where you say you do not want to hook up your PC to your tv contradicts the paragraph above it where you overstate the virtues of console gaming and incorrectly disparage pc gaming.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 14:53.

Aug 13, 2007, 14:39
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 14:39
Aug 13, 2007, 14:39

This doesn't bode well. All this attention to the 360 tells me they screwed the pooch on the PC version. Now I'm worried. Now I want to try a demo before buying.

"Well that sounds like fun times, Peter. Tell me...where does James Woods fit into the "fun times"."
- James Woods, Family Guy
"Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur

More info
Aug 13, 2007, 14:37
More info Aug 13, 2007, 14:37
Aug 13, 2007, 14:37

They finally bothered to communicate to the PC gamers:

After the appearance of the BioShock Demo on Xbox 360™ last night, I’m sure many of you PC fans wondered, “What about us?”

Here’s the deal.

A BioShock PC Demo IS coming. We tried as hard as humanly possible to get it out to you guys simultaneously with the 360 demo, but we needed to make sure that it was perfect -- that all drivers were ready, and that the game looked great on a huge variety of computers.

Currently, the PC demo in its final stages of testing and approval. We are pushing to get it out to you as soon as possible. It will be out during the month of August, and everyone is working at full capacity to deliver it to you before the game hits store shelves on August 21st. I will also let you know as soon as I have an exact date for the demo's release, so please stay tuned.

I cannot express enough how sorry I am for the wait. Thank you for understanding and your patience. Just remember -- only eight days left till you get your hands on the full game.

I’ll let you know where to get the demo as soon as it becomes available.
Last night, nobody thought of telling the PC community???
Really, really wanting this game,
Ray

-----
Q_Q
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
http://wowgems.jponrails.com/cut_gems/list
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: PC demo
Aug 13, 2007, 14:36
Re: PC demo Aug 13, 2007, 14:36
Aug 13, 2007, 14:36

On a completely unrelated note, this marks my 99th post in 7 years Shall i spam my 100th?

Speaking of SPAM. Was in Austin, MN this weekend (the home of SPAM) and purchased me a motorbike. Woot. Back on 2 wheels.

Rev. Norb: I'd just like to say that four for a dollar Tijuana tacos seemed like a good idea at the time. Please pass the toilet paper.

Aug 13, 2007, 14:33
Re: No subject Aug 13, 2007, 14:33
Aug 13, 2007, 14:33

Yea I'll take my 24' MUCH sharper display in a comfortable desk chair and 7.1 surround with keyboard/mouse any day of the week.

When I was a kid I was into consoles. But as an adult, I just cant get used to sitting 10' from my display and using some kind of clunky controller.

On topic, the game comes out in just over a week. If the PC demo doesn't hit by then, it's no sweat off my back.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 14:34.
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older