On Battlefield 2 Exploits

The Battlefield Website has word on how EA is going after stat padding, knife & pistol servers, and other attempts to exploit the Battlefield 2 stats system (thanks Ant and Planet Battlefield). Word is:
We wanted to update you all on our ongoing efforts being taken to punish cheating and padding players and deal with servers that support such activity.

In the month of July the EA tech support team processed 103 reports of Battlefield 2 servers breaking the ROC, such as knife and pistol servers. 310 reported cheating or padding players were processed with many of them subsequently being stripped. We’ve also implemented an improved system for actively targeting knife and pistol servers which should speed up the process of shutting them down.

12 Battlefield 2142 servers were processed as were 150 players, again with a number of those players being stripped when it was determined they were exploiting, padding or cheating.

We process every report of cheating that we receive however we feel that there are many more out there to catch. As such we'd encourage Battlefield players to report any cheaters or rule-breaking servers they find while playing online. We want to see the above numbers go higher as much as you do - the fewer cheaters out there the better the game is for everyone.

If you believe a player is cheating, padding or exploiting, or that a server exists with rules or admins that support such activity, please report it to the EA Customer Support where it will be investigated and dealt with as appropriate.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Quake Wars
Aug 13, 2007, 06:33
Re: Quake Wars Aug 13, 2007, 06:33
Aug 13, 2007, 06:33

"They have nothing new to offer to go up against Quake Wars"

That's so funny when you consider there's not a single important "new" idea in Quake Wars that hasn't been in BF2142 since it came out (and that almost anyone who's played Quake Wars says it's a pile o' shite in comparison)

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 10:29.

Re: stas are a bad idea
Aug 13, 2007, 06:28
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 13, 2007, 06:28
Aug 13, 2007, 06:28

"Pro baseball players don't try to pad their stats..." etc. Oh really? But I wasn't saying they did (yet they do.)

I say again - the stats in BF have improved the game for most people - I'd say 98 to 99 percent of players dont pad their stats. Those who do are only fooling themselves, it doesn't affect me at all.

I see no evidence while playing a regular BF game that stats have affected anything - except that there is less TKing and griefing, and more teamplay - all features (arguably) encouraged by a stat/award system that encourages players to be in a squad and help their teammates. I see none of the behaviour that you describe - losing a match because someone who "should be fighting" is out stat-padding. (Correction - Commanders who are only logging commander hours but don't command are a curse, and deserve the bullet in the head I deliver when I track down their star icon on the minimap.) But do the hoardes here at Blues who whomp into every BF thread to deliver their dollops of hate even play these games? They seem awfully well informed about the myriad bugs and faults that make it "unplayable" that the people who play it don't notice.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 10:33.

Quake Wars
Aug 13, 2007, 00:38
Quake Wars Aug 13, 2007, 00:38
Aug 13, 2007, 00:38

My guess is that they are making these press releases and public acknowledgements so they can draw attention back to 2142 and bf2. They have nothing new to offer to go up against Quake Wars, so I guess "fair" gameplay is a service they think people might be willing to stick with them over.

Im guessing they are afraid when their next expansion pack hits for either game there will be no one to buy it because they are tired of the cheaters and moved on.

No subject
Aug 12, 2007, 16:02
No subject Aug 12, 2007, 16:02
Aug 12, 2007, 16:02

EA could never fix anything in BF series, and when they try it takes ages. EA needs to retire.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 16:04.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Re: No subject
Aug 12, 2007, 15:27
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 15:27
Aug 12, 2007, 15:27

My own opinion (however wrong) is that those who use services like MSX are also "asshats". They are directly responsible for helping this kind of crap spread to the more casual gamers who would otherwise not go through the bother of using this kind of thing.

I don't disagree with that all. I'm a league admin who deals with this kind of trash, people who do this in order to win a league that doesn't mean anything but ego.

The way you phrased it simply implied that being able to spawn camp or bunny hop and shoot makes you a cheater, which I would disagree with. I've learned from this board to never take anything for granted.

Aug 12, 2007, 14:19
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 14:19
Aug 12, 2007, 14:19

If you thikn it's lame, fair enough, but MSX or any other of those jokes of a 'company' don't really have anything to do with general asshattery.

they were using aimbots along with just being dicks. Did I mention that part?

Did I have a fool-proof aim-bot-o-detector present? No, I assume that when guys are bunny hopping endlessly and killing EVERY SINGLE TIME with a head shot from one round with NO ONE able to live long enough to kill them then I sort of make the connection.

My own opinion (however wrong) is that those who use services like MSX are also "asshats". They are directly responsible for helping this kind of crap spread to the more casual gamers who would otherwise not go through the bother of using this kind of thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
This comment was edited on Aug 12, 14:21.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Knife and Pistol Servers
Aug 12, 2007, 14:12
Re: Knife and Pistol Servers Aug 12, 2007, 14:12
Aug 12, 2007, 14:12

I stopped playing BF2 like almost a year ago. Back then the knife pistol servers were prevalent and stats padding was commonplace, it sure does take EA a long time to respond. And all they managed to do was hit 150 players? That's it?

What about the probably hundreds if not thousands of others that have been doing for over a year?

Knife and Pistol Servers
Aug 12, 2007, 14:00
Knife and Pistol Servers Aug 12, 2007, 14:00
Aug 12, 2007, 14:00

It think they would do well to better word their press release. For someone unfamiliar with the game, it sounds like they're shutting down servers that restrict weapons to knives and pistols (which sounds pretty fun to me, in all honesty), as opposed to simply removing their "Ranked server" status.

Aug 12, 2007, 13:24
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 13:24
Aug 12, 2007, 13:24

Pitchers never purposely walk runners? Football players don't run out of bounds to stop the clock? And I won't even go into Soccer/Football and all the fake drama that happens there.

Spoonge it does reward skill. Not everyone can be a Aircraft pilot, sniper, or good with a knife and pistol. As much time as I spent in BF2 I can't fly planes worth shit, but I can tear stuff up in a Helo.

You don't watch much sports, I guess. Walking batters you sometimes do if the next batter is bad to set up a double play, or you don't want to risk a homerun, or other little reasons like that. Running out of bounds is a strategy to get more plays in a very limited amount of time. Fake drama? What the fuck are you even saying? You don't have a clue what you're talking about. That isn't stats padding by any definition of the word. Please don't talk about sports if you don't know, you just look foolish.

If you wanted to, you could get any medal or reward as a pilot, because the measurements are ACCUMULATED. You need x points, rather than you need x points per hour for example. You ignore what I said, I don't give two shits if you're good in the helicopter, that doesn't change the fact that anyone can get any medal given enough time.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 13:27.

Aug 12, 2007, 13:11
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 13:11
Aug 12, 2007, 13:11

Pitchers never purposely walk runners? Football players don't run out of bounds to stop the clock? And I won't even go into Soccer/Football and all the fake drama that happens there.

Spoonge it does reward skill. Not everyone can be a Aircraft pilot, sniper, or good with a knife and pistol. As much time as I spent in BF2 I can't fly planes worth shit, but I can tear stuff up in a Helo.

Aug 12, 2007, 12:57
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 12:57
Aug 12, 2007, 12:57

I dont think stats have affected the game, I think they've improved it. Before BF2 and BF2142 there were third-party stats sites, and the stats in the new games are popular - people like them, obviously, much as people like levels in WoW, and they give new dimension to how you play as well. Sheesh, look at the popularity of stats in pro baseball and football, why shouldn't people be interested in their own stats?

Professional baseball and football players don't try and pad their stats by doing specific things over and over again for 6 games in a row, even if they're going to lose the game because of you.

BF2 does not reward skill, it rewards time, and that's precisely why it's "popular."

Aug 12, 2007, 12:30
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 12:30
Aug 12, 2007, 12:30

I dont think stats have affected the game, I think they've improved it. Before BF2 and BF2142 there were third-party stats sites, and the stats in the new games are popular - people like them, obviously, much as people like levels in WoW, and they give new dimension to how you play as well. Sheesh, look at the popularity of stats in pro baseball and football, why shouldn't people be interested in their own stats?

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 12:31.

Aug 12, 2007, 12:08
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 12:08
Aug 12, 2007, 12:08

Theres a building at the main base that you spawn at early in the round, these guys were running in circles around the building popping people the second they spawned in. Probably because it was more fun to do that than stand at some distant point and kill people? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. None of that shit makes sense to me to begin with.

If you thikn it's lame, fair enough, but MSX or any other of those jokes of a 'company' don't really have anything to do with general asshattery.

Aug 12, 2007, 09:33
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 09:33
Aug 12, 2007, 09:33

If you need a cheat to spawncamp someone, you seriously stink at the game. I fail to see the correlation.

Theres a building at the main base that you spawn at early in the round, these guys were running in circles around the building popping people the second they spawned in. Probably because it was more fun to do that than stand at some distant point and kill people? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. None of that shit makes sense to me to begin with.

I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 12, 2007, 08:52
Re: stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 08:52
Aug 12, 2007, 08:52

Stats are not a bad idea in most games, they are just poorly done in most games, since most stats seem to be based on the individuals actions rather than the goals of the game. If there must be stats they should only illuminate teamwork in a game that is teamwork oriented, thus it would make sense to make stats for teams only.

stas are a bad idea
Aug 12, 2007, 04:59
stas are a bad idea Aug 12, 2007, 04:59
Aug 12, 2007, 04:59

The whole stats thing was a bad idea, it leads to this crap, and people not playing for the team. I guess it was an anti-piracy move, so they can exclude servers that allow hacked copies of the game, but in practice, it doesn't help in a game already plagued by hilarious load times and buggy code. Since I went back to COD 2, I haven't fired up BF2 once, and probably never will again.

Aug 12, 2007, 04:29
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 04:29
Aug 12, 2007, 04:29

mOOt that's what they are doing. They are removing Ranked server that for example are knife and pistol only and moving them to unranked servers.

Aug 12, 2007, 03:25
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 03:25
Aug 12, 2007, 03:25

Meh, then don't include kills on that server for the rankings...

Aug 12, 2007, 03:17
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 03:17
Aug 12, 2007, 03:17

I don't get what the issue is with 'knife and pistol servers'. Can someone enlighten me as to why that's such a bad thing?

restricted weapons servers artificialy inflate someones stat and ranking by making it easy to reach the required kills per round with a particular weapon. bf2 and bf2142 having huge maps and vehicles makes it difficult to reach the required kills per round. unlike counterstrike where the maps are small which leads to close quarter confrontations perfect for knives and pistols.

Aug 12, 2007, 02:11
Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 02:11
Aug 12, 2007, 02:11

They just released a QW package now and half the games I joined that day had at least two douchebags spawn camping and giggling like little idiots everytime they managed to get someone to leave the game.

If you need a cheat to spawncamp someone, you seriously stink at the game. I fail to see the correlation.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older