EA Gets More Ubi

Forbes.com reports that Electronic Arts has increased its holdings in Ubisoft (thanks IGN). EA's stake in Ubisoft now gives them a 25% voting interest and over 15% of the companies capital. They did not actually purchase more shares of Ubisoft stock, but rather were awarded double voting rights for registered shares of stock they already owned. Though no changes are currently in the works, word is EA now has the power to influence future decisions:
Electronic Arts said it reserves the right to raise its stake in Ubisoft, depending on market conditions, over the next year. It has no plans to seek to nominate board members, but could do so if the are any major changes in Ubisoft's situation.
View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

DIE EA
Aug 10, 2007, 15:06
DIE EA Aug 10, 2007, 15:06
Aug 10, 2007, 15:06

FUCK EA

No subject
Aug 9, 2007, 17:07
No subject Aug 9, 2007, 17:07
Aug 9, 2007, 17:07

EA is a menace to society.

Re: Time for a new hobby..
Aug 9, 2007, 16:17
Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 9, 2007, 16:17
Aug 9, 2007, 16:17

*Pap*
This comment was edited on Aug 9, 16:19.
<+pihlopase> Jesus Saves
<@jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

Double Agent
Aug 9, 2007, 09:01
Double Agent Aug 9, 2007, 09:01
Aug 9, 2007, 09:01

Need I even mention the total shash that was the PC Double Agent 'port'?

Re: No subject
Aug 9, 2007, 08:09
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2007, 08:09
Aug 9, 2007, 08:09

Wow, this doesn't bode well for Ubi's already crappy QA and tech support. Though, short of some sort of explosion during install, I can't see how their PC games could get any worse...

Aug 9, 2007, 07:54
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2007, 07:54
Aug 9, 2007, 07:54

Ubi has gone down SIGNIFICANTLY in the last couple of years.

R6:Lockdown was AWFUL.
r6:Vegas doesn't have a server you can lock. It's such an awful console port. The 360 version relies on xbox live. They didn't even feel like coding a PASSWORD BOX for the PC version. It's an afterthought.

Pay another $50 for a GRAW2 that really is an expansion to GRAW1? No thanks.

Ubi can die and get eaten by EA. At least EA still cares somewhat about PC gaming.

Bah
Aug 9, 2007, 06:37
Bah Aug 9, 2007, 06:37
Aug 9, 2007, 06:37

Most of the games on my shelf wear an Ubisoft logo on their spines. No EA ever.

No subject
Aug 9, 2007, 05:49
No subject Aug 9, 2007, 05:49
Aug 9, 2007, 05:49

To hell in a hand basket is all I say.
----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

Aug 9, 2007, 05:34
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2007, 05:34
Aug 9, 2007, 05:34

i think EA taking over UBI is a bad thing for gamers. maybe it is UBI shareholder's wet dream but not for gamers.

UBI still takes risk with new concept and i like that.
EA i think they forget any thing new,concentrating only on sequel and those douche sports game.may be that's why EA needs UBI...the need new blood.

Aug 9, 2007, 04:18
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2007, 04:18
Aug 9, 2007, 04:18

Well see here's the problem with EA Sports games. Idiots keep buying them over and over with all their glaring problems.

But I will say EA's QA is a hell of alot better then Ubi's.
Rainbow Six Vegas still has glaring issues even with the last patch, Silent Hunter 4 was released as a mess.

Re: Apples and... Donuts?
Aug 9, 2007, 00:48
Re: Apples and... Donuts? Aug 9, 2007, 00:48
Aug 9, 2007, 00:48

I don't know if you're being intentionally retarded or if you've been subsisting off fucking paint thinner, but your post sets new standards for fucking ridiculous shitlogic, PJ.

The new at&t only has about one third of the US. Qwest, and Verizon have the rest.

Woooo, they only control 1/3 of the nation so their not a national monopoly. Well no shit! They're now regional monopolies, moron, and until you get real competition in your market your wireless/internet/cable/whatever will continue to be second rate (just try and find a study that says the US's communication network performance is anything but second rate).

They sell you a service and nothing more. You don't own the phone line or the DSL (outside your premise) or even your cellular number... you're just leasing them.

Yeah, no shit you don't own every fucking telephone pole in North America. But neither do they. More importantly they don't own every fucking picometer of the wireless spectrum, pretending its not "ours" is ridiculous. The government, representing us, leases it to THEM. They create some infrastructure and resell it, but often, because our government is fucking tech illiterate, they end up being either the only carrier or one of two (IE the phone company can give you DSL or the cable company can give you cable and both will blow monkey's nuts compared to what you could get in europe).

But those companies own the facilities like Santa Fe Railroad owns their tracks and the land they sit on. So if you don't like them don't use them. Simple enough.

Except their track is either empty air (which noone fucking owns) or telephone infrastructure (which is like a road, IE, they still dont fucking own it, the local municipality or governing body does). At most they own routing centers, which get cheaper (more worthless) by the day.

now it is easier said then [sic] done if you have no choices but you still have made a choice... to use their services.

HA HA. I'd love to see you tell that to any place of business. "No, no, you're supporting this monopoly by choosing to use the public infrastracture they've rangled control of! You should run your business without the internet or telephony if you don't like it!" QFT, you can't stop using the internet or phone network anymore than you can stop using public roads. They're more than required to be competitive.

Watching people defend a system which has resulted in regional monopolies like this is just fucking sad. Three companies NATIONWIDE is not fucking competition, it's a sick joke.

I'm totally offtopic.
I eat pasta!

Aug 8, 2007, 22:24
Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 22:24
Aug 8, 2007, 22:24

Learn to configure your computer properly, dumbass. The only EA game that has given me any trouble is BF 2. All other EA games that I own (I don't own crap like the Sims and sports games tho) are of the highest possible product quality. The Medal of Honor games, American McGee's Alice, all Jane's sims (USAF, F-15, Apache AH-64 etc etc etc...), Command & Conquer 3, the Need for Speed games and more all work fine. The gameplay might not be to everyone's liking in EA games but the actual quality of their products per se is nearly unmatched. People need to stop repeating that dumbass claim that EA releases buggy games all of the time when it's simply not true. Anyone who claims that bullshit just proves that they are a retarded parrot who doesn't even play any EA games. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't even particularly like EA. Credit where credit is due though and the quality of EA games is admirable compared to the utter shit that companies like Ubi or Dreamcatcher like to release.

I'll try to dumb this down so even you can understand:

1) Go play NBA Live 07. GameSpot quotes: "lag is a huge issue", "animation is spotty, and there's lots of clipping", "controls are unresponsive", "many gameplay flaws and uneven visuals"

or

2) Medal of Honor: Vanguard, "yet another run-of-the-mill WWII-based first-person shooter.", "Sloppy hit detection", "it does too many simple things poorly and does nothing particularly well."

or

3) Medal of Honor Allied Assault: Breakthrough, "Lackluster single-player campaign", "new models are poor at best", "probably be better off spending your time and money on something else"

I could go on and on. EA's "quality of work" encompasses more than just "it runs well on my PC." It's how they design games, how features our poorly implemented, etc. I'm not saying Ubisoft is any better, but there's no way you can say EA is a godsend with a straight face.

No subject
Aug 8, 2007, 21:39
No subject Aug 8, 2007, 21:39
Aug 8, 2007, 21:39

I avoid anything EA like the plague, Ubisoft on the other hand I did have a little love for but not much.

I did think some of the games in the 'That's Hot' range were pretty good value.

Re: Apples and... Donuts?
Aug 8, 2007, 20:54
Re: Apples and... Donuts? Aug 8, 2007, 20:54
Aug 8, 2007, 20:54

In my opinion unless you actually work for (or use to work for) the Evil Empire you don't really have as much to complain about.

I used to work for EA, I have friends that still work for EA. The shit that goes on behind closed doors is surprising to say the least.

From the time EA first bought shares in Ubisoft they were up to no good, and still are.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

EAUbisoft anagram
Aug 8, 2007, 20:47
Kxmode

EAUbisoft anagram Aug 8, 2007, 20:47
Aug 8, 2007, 20:47
 Kxmode

'To if abuse'

-----
Ah ha! I caught you red handed Green cheating on Blue!
http://www.myspace.com/kxmode
"Salmon Dance remix" posted (Chemical Brothers)
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apples and... Donuts?
Aug 8, 2007, 20:44
PJ
Apples and... Donuts? Aug 8, 2007, 20:44
Aug 8, 2007, 20:44
PJ

I think this is crap that EA continues to buy up or buy into large portions of the gaming industry. Eventually they will be like AT&T or Verizon one GIANT corporation that owns EVERYTHING.

I kind of understand what you meant but it's not a good comparison. The new at&t only has about one third of the US. Qwest, and Verizon have the rest. Yeah, some states have a much lower population compared to others but you get the point.

Anyway if you don't like the company don't use their infrastructure because that is what they own. Nothing more. They sell you a service and nothing more. You don't own the phone line or the DSL (outside your premise) or even your cellular number... you're just leasing them.

But those companies own the facilities like Santa Fe Railroad owns their tracks and the land they sit on. So if you don't like them don't use them. Simple enough.

I know it is easier said then done if you have no choices but you still have made a choice... to use their services. In my opinion unless you actually work for (or use to work for) the Evil Empire you don't really have as much to complain about. Of course that is just my opinion and I am a jaded tech who has to listen to customers complain because they don't get everything for free...

As far as Ubi and EA I hope they both go down in flames.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 20:44.

Aug 8, 2007, 20:30
Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 8, 2007, 20:30
Aug 8, 2007, 20:30

and microsoft vista doesn't have any bugs either, all the problems being reported are just people who can't configure their computer properly!

Aug 8, 2007, 20:24
Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 8, 2007, 20:24
Aug 8, 2007, 20:24

I was only talking about single player, of course. If we take the discussion to multiplayer then might as well forget it. We won't find a single company that does a decent job. Not even the so called "kings of quality" Blizzard have a reason to be proud about the quality of multiplayer in any of their games since they are all subject to exploits, hacks, bugs and imbalances. From Diablo to WoW. All of them.

*** Born to troll ***

Aug 8, 2007, 20:13
Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 8, 2007, 20:13
Aug 8, 2007, 20:13

Command & Conquer 3

Yea, that whole building across the map was a minor problem! Spectators controlling the match? Nah, happens all the time in other games!

Aug 8, 2007, 20:06
Re: Time for a new hobby.. Aug 8, 2007, 20:06
Aug 8, 2007, 20:06

HHAHAAH, not sure what EA games you've been playing, but Quality Assurance is NOT in their vocabulary.

Learn to configure your computer properly, dumbass. The only EA game that has given me any trouble is BF 2. All other EA games that I own (I don't own crap like the Sims and sports games tho) are of the highest possible product quality. The Medal of Honor games, American McGee's Alice, all Jane's sims (USAF, F-15, Apache AH-64 etc etc etc...), Command & Conquer 3, the Need for Speed games and more all work fine. The gameplay might not be to everyone's liking in EA games but the actual quality of their products per se is nearly unmatched. People need to stop repeating that dumbass claim that EA releases buggy games all of the time when it's simply not true. Anyone who claims that bullshit just proves that they are a retarded parrot who doesn't even play any EA games. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't even particularly like EA. Credit where credit is due though and the quality of EA games is admirable compared to the utter shit that companies like Ubi or Dreamcatcher like to release.

*** Born to troll ***
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older