New ETQW Beta Nears

The Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Website has word that a second beta for the upcoming multiplayer shooter is on the way. They offer details on the new Valley map and balance changes in the new beta, which they hope to release within the next week or two. Here's the overview:
Last week I flew back to London from the E3 Business and Media Summit in Los Angeles. We demonstrated Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars on the PC and XBOX 360, so to get back and start reading so many positive previews has made everyone here feel great. I'm even more pleased about the recent announcement that ETQW has been nominated for two E3 Games Critics Awards; Best PC Game of Show and Best Multiplayer Game of Show - this should be good news if you're in possession of a Beta key, because the build the journalists played at E3 was a preview of the Beta 2 build that we're about to release to you! The build is in testing at Activision right now and will be initially released to the QuakeCon audience for BYOC play. We hope to have it to FilePlanet within the next week or two for a wide release to all of our public beta testers.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jul 31, 2007, 13:47
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 13:47
Jul 31, 2007, 13:47

Igor
This isn't a Quake game really.. it's an Enemy Territory game. If you played the first Enemy Territory, you'll feel right at home.

I have to disagree with you here. I have played W:ET since the map test, and I still play it today. I have a beta key and I have played quite a few hours in the game, but it doesn't really feel like W:ET in terms of actual gameplay at all. The Doom 3 engine is still clunky as hell even with all of the improvements they have made, and while the netcode was improved in the beta patch it is still pretty rough when it comes to hit detection and antilag.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Jul 31, 2007, 11:05
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 11:05
Jul 31, 2007, 11:05

This isn't a Quake game really.. it's an Enemy Territory game. If you played the first Enemy Territory, you'll feel right at home.

Re: Opinion
Jul 31, 2007, 10:46
Enahs

Re: Opinion Jul 31, 2007, 10:46
Jul 31, 2007, 10:46
 Enahs

Damn you Overon.

Now my excuse for me not doing as good in other games is blown.

Bastard!

Ohh wait I know. It is because my computer sucks so much and I barely get 20fps (which is actually true). Yep, that is my problem!

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jul 31, 2007, 10:35
Re: Opinion Jul 31, 2007, 10:35
Jul 31, 2007, 10:35

I couldn't tell if my aiming issues were due to some kind of mouse lag or to the supposedly lackluster Doom 3 netcode.

Your aiming issues are due to a lack of mad leet skillz, dude. You n00b!

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

Jul 31, 2007, 10:26
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 10:26
Jul 31, 2007, 10:26

Wait so a second beta doesn't mean more keys? The heck? I missed the couple hours in which the keys went last month.

Jul 31, 2007, 10:19
Re: Opinion Jul 31, 2007, 10:19
Jul 31, 2007, 10:19

Your comparisons to Source engines and Battlefield are not valid though. They still use hitboxes, where as Doom3/Quake4/ET:QW uses per-poly-hit detection. Meaning, you can not shoot people through the legs, or under the arm outside of the torso, etc.
Incorrect at least in the case of ET:QW. They use hitboxes actually, the developers have stated in many interviews and chats.

Steve "badman" Hessel - Community Relations Manager, Splash Damage:

unity asked: Does ET: QW support hitboxes like Q4 1.4.2 or per poly detection like doom3?

[b]adman answers: hitboxes
This comment was edited on Jul 31, 10:25.

Jul 31, 2007, 09:48
Enahs

Re: Opinion Jul 31, 2007, 09:48
Jul 31, 2007, 09:48
 Enahs

I've either forgotten how to lead targets or this beta's not even cursorily optimized (I know, I know--it's beta). I couldn't tell if my aiming issues were due to some kind of mouse lag or to the supposedly lackluster Doom 3 netcode. I may not be 16 any more, but I'll be damned if I can't hold my own in 2142 and Source-engine games.

The net code is greatly improved. If you did update the beta (there was an update a month ago) it did improve the net code greatly.

Your comparisons to Source engines and Battlefield are not valid though. They still use hitboxes, where as Doom3/Quake4/ET:QW uses per-poly-hit detection. Meaning, you can not shoot people through the legs, or under the arm outside of the torso, etc.

The netcode still needs some work, and hopefully they are working on that (after all, it does take a massive player beta to figure this stuff out anway); but I think it is just your skill sucks!

I think it rocks ass. All of your complaints I disagree with. You want the deployables to be too powerful in my opinion; which is stupid. And as for keeping the XP, it is great when you are the one who has been playing for an hour; but it is miserable if you join the server and other people have been playing for an hour, you have a huge disadvantage.

I loved in Wolf:ET getting all XP maxed out, but I also knew it sucked for everybody else. Reseting is the only way to keep the game fair and balanced while still keeping the rewards. But again, this can all my changed by the server admins.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Opinion
Jul 31, 2007, 09:30
Opinion Jul 31, 2007, 09:30
Jul 31, 2007, 09:30

I've either forgotten how to lead targets or this beta's not even cursorily optimized (I know, I know--it's beta). I couldn't tell if my aiming issues were due to some kind of mouse lag or to the supposedly lackluster Doom 3 netcode. I may not be 16 any more, but I'll be damned if I can't hold my own in 2142 and Source-engine games. I was also expecting deployables to be more TF-style--the giant stationary things were a giant disappointment. Making experience less dependent on kills really, really hurts; unless you're a murder machine or don't even pull your weapon out, it seems impossible to level up as any class but engineer. For some reason, even though I don't do much as one I seem to level incredibly quickly. Still more disappointing is that the persistent/ranked servers that will likely be in the majority will not support mods; although this makes sense, it means that there's no chance of getting support for the "keep XP past campaign end" mod unless it happens to be set by a server var. ETCW felt more meaningful when you could keep your progress past the end of the match (which could be the end of the current round if you joined late).

It just doesn't seem to measure up to ETCW for some reason. I can't put my finger on exactly why. Crashes aside, I didn't run into any obvious bugs though. Perhaps I just haven't played enough. I hate to judge a game by its beta, but this won't be a purchase for me--which is sad considering it was basically the only PC game I was looking forward to playing.

Jul 31, 2007, 08:28
Flo

Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 08:28
Jul 31, 2007, 08:28
 Flo

How about more Beta Keys?! I want one!
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Jul 31, 2007, 08:19
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 08:19
Jul 31, 2007, 08:19

OMG, I loved Quake II! I was thinking about loading it up to see if there are any servers up. Heh.

Steam: BenRichards

Jul 31, 2007, 07:03
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 07:03
Jul 31, 2007, 07:03

Yeah, Quake one is my favorite id game. Its the humor of the game that I love. I'll check out ETQW when it comes out but I don't expect anything as good as Quake. BF2142 is my preferred FPS now. Maybe Splash Damage get it right.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

No subject
Jul 31, 2007, 02:56
No subject Jul 31, 2007, 02:56
Jul 31, 2007, 02:56

Maybe it's because the maps are all earth based, maybe it's the lack of gore, maybe it's the lacking railgun, grenade launcher, proper nail gun etc. but this game really doesn't feel much like a QUAKE game.

I still prefer the classic QUAKE, and at the very least QUAKE II.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older