Sunday Tech Bits

View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Ubuntu outsells Vista
Jun 24, 2007, 19:04
Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 24, 2007, 19:04
Jun 24, 2007, 19:04

So an OS that is completely free is outselling Vista? Aaahahaha...

I am glad to see it though, as it'll help support them. I'm also glad to see that it's winning more converts to Linux, even if GNOME does drive me insane.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
http://www.pclinuxos.com

Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista
Jun 24, 2007, 20:03
Quboid

Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 24, 2007, 20:03
Jun 24, 2007, 20:03
 Quboid

It's outselling Vista Ultimate Full, based on a single source. I don't know how they are selling a free OS anyway and this is impressive, but Ultimate is just one of many editions of Vista. At a guess the people who neither pirate it nor buy a computer with it pre-installed are most likely to buy Home Premium. Ubuntu is also outselling Home Premium Full but is it outselling both, along with Business Premium, the 2 non premium versions and the Upgrade versions of all these combined? I doubt it. Also, it's $10, Vista averages about $250, so I'll bet Vista is bringing in more cash per edition, even if they aren't shifting as many boxes.

Also, there are two Windows entries outselling Ubuntu, Windows XP SP2 in Home and Professional editions, although why someone would buy XP now I don't know. Vista sucks, yes, but I do think SP1 will help a lot.

It is rough for Vista, I'm not disagreeing with this gist of the post, but it's not as simple as Ubuntu R0cK$.

Interesting customer tags on Vista. Defective by Design seems to be common, along with DRM stuff. Good. Maybe Vista is where people have had enough of being treated as inconveniences at best by MS, Sony et all. We want your music, films, fancy GUIs, yes, but you need our business. The problem is getting enough people to understand what's happening for their bottom line to be hit.

Quboid
This comment was edited on Jun 24, 20:07.

Jun 24, 2007, 20:17
Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 24, 2007, 20:17
Jun 24, 2007, 20:17

I downloaded Ubuntu to install on my laptop last week. The only reason I haven't installed it yet is I haven't had the time to go pick up some CD-Rs to burn the ISO. Come on, just add some more features to make it large enough to warrant a DVD ISO so I can use up some of these DVD-R's.

Soon as I get some though, I'm going to install it on a seperate partition to make sure it's completely worth switching. I only use my laptop for general internet usage, so I don't care if there is little or no game support.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 20:19.

Jun 24, 2007, 20:50
Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 24, 2007, 20:50
Jun 24, 2007, 20:50

I downloaded Ubuntu to install on my laptop last week. The only reason I haven't installed it yet is I haven't had the time to go pick up some CD-Rs to burn the ISO. Come on, just add some more features to make it large enough to warrant a DVD ISO so I can use up some of these DVD-R's.

Soon as I get some though, I'm going to install it on a seperate partition to make sure it's completely worth switching. I only use my laptop for general internet usage, so I don't care if there is little or no game support.

Part of the Ubuntu design philosophy is to keep the file size small enough to fit on a CD. There are distros out there that are DVD based, though this is more from the inclusion of a large amount of software than anything else. Once you get Ubuntu installed fire up Synaptic and browse through the huge software repositories.

If you plan to reformat when you install Ubuntu install Windows first, on the first partition, and then install Ubuntu. Windows gets cranky if it isn't first, and while there are configuration changes that can be made to get it to work it's just easier to drop Windows on the first partition.

---
This comment was edited on Jun 24, 20:51.

Jun 24, 2007, 21:10
Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 24, 2007, 21:10
Jun 24, 2007, 21:10

Part of the Ubuntu design philosophy is to keep the file size small enough to fit on a CD.
I was being facetious. I know a point of Ubuntu's design is it's small footprint. My joke was only that all I have are blank DVDs, and I don't want to waste the space by burning it to a DVD rather than CD.

When I install it I'm going to install it on a separate unformatted partition. If I end up liking it more than Windows, and more importantly, if it does everything I want it to do satisfactory, then eventually I will completely format my drive and install only Ubuntu on it. I just don't want to do that outright as I have an afternoon's worth of backing up to do in that case.

first 2 say
Jun 25, 2007, 02:21
Kxmode

first 2 say Jun 25, 2007, 02:21
Jun 25, 2007, 02:21
 Kxmode

PWNAGE!

-----
"SUPREME COMMANDER PATCH: 2008"
(http://music.download.com/kxmode)
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: first 2 say
Jun 25, 2007, 02:29
nin
Re: first 2 say Jun 25, 2007, 02:29
Jun 25, 2007, 02:29
nin

Burma-Shave s{
This comment was edited on Jun 25, 13:11.

Jun 25, 2007, 03:50
Kxmode

Re: first 2 say Jun 25, 2007, 03:50
Jun 25, 2007, 03:50
 Kxmode

ill be glad when the day comes and microsoft is dead. i'm thinking about bringing a class action against them for pain and mental suffering.

-----
"SUPREME COMMANDER PATCH: 2008"
(http://music.download.com/kxmode)
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 25, 2007, 05:18
Re: first 2 say Jun 25, 2007, 05:18
Jun 25, 2007, 05:18

As I work in IT and suffer more Windows problems then I do Linux problems, I'd support a class action for mental suffering.

Not to mention trades description act - Windows Server 2003 - my arse - Linux can serious out perform MS as a server in all the important place: speed, reliability and flexibility.
People still only measure Windows uptime in days or weeks. Where as Linux and Unix uptime is measured in months or years.

Jun 25, 2007, 06:30
Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 25, 2007, 06:30
Jun 25, 2007, 06:30

I was being facetious.

After you've spent a few weeks cruising the Ubuntu forums (especially the newb area) you learn to treat everything seriously. I forget that when I wander back over here.

When I install it I'm going to install it on a separate unformatted partition. If I end up liking it more than Windows, and more importantly, if it does everything I want it to do satisfactory, then eventually I will completely format my drive and install only Ubuntu on it. I just don't want to do that outright as I have an afternoon's worth of backing up to do in that case.

If that happens you don't even need to do a second install. Just boot Ubuntu from the LiveCD, start GParted, nuke the Windows partition and then resize the Linux one. At least, I think it can be done like that. I know that Linux OSes that use a journaled filesystem (ext3, ReiserFS) can be resized smaller without any issue and I believe the same is true for making the partitions bigger as well.

You may want to keep an open partition anyway so that you can distro-hop a bit. Trust me, it'll happen.

---

Jun 25, 2007, 09:06
Re: Ubuntu outsells Vista Jun 25, 2007, 09:06
Jun 25, 2007, 09:06

Seeing as I have 3 machines lying around in working condition (two desktops, one laptop), actually been thinking about putting Ubuntu on one and giving it a whirl.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer