Major Steam Update Soon

The Steam Website announces that this summer users will see the largest update to the Steam platform since the launch of Valve's online service over three years ago. Here's a bit:
June 20, 2007 -- This summer Valve will ship a major update to its online gaming platform Steam, introducing an advanced set of community features to more than 13 million gamers around the world.

Beginning in July, Steam users can set up their own personal Steam pages and profiles, create and join groups, schedule games with friends, review who they've played with, see how well everyone played, chat with groups, chat via voice, and more. These new community services and features can be used with all Steam games, which include new releases and classic titles from leading publishers and independent developers.

Free of charge, the new community features will be accessible via the Steam desktop client and via the web.
View : : :
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Steam
Aug 6, 2007, 05:40
Re: Steam Aug 6, 2007, 05:40
Aug 6, 2007, 05:40

omfg, you guys really like talking to each other and have too much time. I guess it would be kinda entertaining if I had the time to read it all. gl both of you
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Jun 24, 2007, 03:31
Re: Steam Jun 24, 2007, 03:31
Jun 24, 2007, 03:31

Calling yourself the name directly implies that you like the subject BECAUSE a normal person wouldn't name themselves after something they hate.

Oh please, continue with excerpts from The Dummies Guide to Psychology.

Masa buys a shirt at Target that says "sake 2 me" and people say it implies he likes sake and Japanese culture.

"No," Masa repleis, "I really just like to get hammered."

So, you know, saying something "implies that you like the subject" actually means "it's all fuckin' relative."

And what does "BECAUSE a normal person wouldn't name themselves after something they hate" mean? What do you mean by "normal?" That there is a certain class or culture of people who only choose to wear certain things or do certain things because it "implies" they like the subject? "Normal" people don't do this? A hot-ass chick wears a halter top because she likes the attention her body receives, she's obviously part of this conspiracy of attention-getting people you refer to. I'm walking around in a city and flag down a taxi, obviously my using a hand-wave to signal a taxi is individual to my personality and clearly shows my interest in taxi cabs. Obviously, I'm part of this little conspiracy you describe.

Jeez, what are you going pull out next? That I'm desire (or lack thereof) to post on this forum is some suppressed Freudian instinct?

Jun 23, 2007, 01:15
Re: Steam Jun 23, 2007, 01:15
Jun 23, 2007, 01:15

I am tired beating you over the head.
So you admit you've lost. Okay then.

Jun 22, 2007, 20:41
JD
Re: Steam Jun 22, 2007, 20:41
Jun 22, 2007, 20:41
JD

I didn't name myself after something I hate.
Okay, DefectTheLyin', since you didn't get it the first time, let me add a word and highlight two others and see if that makes it clearer:

Calling yourself the name directly implies that you like the subject BECAUSE a normal person wouldn't name themselves after something they hate.

Why the hell shouldn't I pick a perfectly good name
I wouldn't call that a perfectly good name because it's obscure. Only a Tolkie would have ever heard of it let alone know what it refers to. So, it would certainly be reasonable to assume that someone who named himself that would be a fan of Tolkien even if he claims he isn't.

You're seeing hypocrisy where there isn't any.
The appearance of hypocrisy is just as bad in this case.

Why the hell would you post something on an anonymous website if you're not trying to get the approval of anonymous strangers? It doesn't make sense.
There you go with the stupid questions again. I already covered that. I do it for my own enjoyment and amusement. Thanks for playing along.

By the way, I'd rather be retarded and deranged
Actually I wrote and meant one or the other, but if you admit that you're both, good for you!

Our only association with each other is in our shared belief that you are are a moron. Thus, "we" is appropriate.
Well, then you're all like-minded fools. By the way, you're still speaking for them when you say "we," idiot.

You (and perhaps your friends, who are probably too nice to tell you what an idiot you are) are the only person who thinks your attempts were successful.
Here, I'll let you choke on your own words:

I didn't realize you were clairvoyant. How exactly do you "know for a fact" that you're not the only one laughing at your pathetic insults?

Conversely how do you know I am the only person, hypocrite? Are you deluded into thinking you're clairvoyant?

Lowbrow humor has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.
Being berated must also be. I can see why you love being married. Go tell your wife to get a whip and take over for me. I am tired of beating you over the head.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 07:26.

Jun 22, 2007, 17:19
Re: Steam Jun 22, 2007, 17:19
Jun 22, 2007, 17:19

But why bother explaining or defending your choice of name to a half-wit like JD at all?

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing WoW - Burning Crusade

Jun 22, 2007, 15:00
Re: Steam Jun 22, 2007, 15:00
Jun 22, 2007, 15:00

There is a big difference. Calling yourself the name directly implies that you like the subject. A normal person wouldn't name themselves after something they hate.
When are you going to get this through your thick skull (whoops, sorry - I promised no rhetorical questions)? I didn't name myself after something I hate. I picked a name that happened to be in a novel that I dislike. Only people obsessed with Tolkien would recognize that the name was from one of his books. Why the hell shouldn't I pick a perfectly good name just because one of them might recognize it and be confused by it? I don't care if they (or other people of limited mental ability) think I'm a hypocrite because they can't see the distinction.

You're seeing hypocrisy where there isn't any. It's perfectly normal to hate a movie but still like one of the character's names or hate a band but like one of their song titles. The same goes for liking a name from a book even if the book itself sucks.

You invited my criticism of your name when you challenged me to lampoon it. Don't go on and on crying about it now.
I challenged you to lampoon it cleverly, which DefectTheLyin sort of qualifies for. The other stuff is just sad.

Why the hell wouldn't it count? An audience is an audience. And, if I were seeking approval, I would rather get the approval of people I know personally and respect than some anonymous strangers who could be retarded or deranged like you.
Because then you might as well just display your "impressive" wit on your blog, website, or through email, where anonymous people wouldn't have to be subjected to it. Why the hell would you post something on an anonymous website if you're not trying to get the approval of anonymous strangers? It doesn't make sense.

By the way, I'd rather be retarded and deranged than delusional and psychotic like you.

"We"?! So the other fools have elected you their spokesman?
Of course not. Our only association with each other is in our shared belief that you are are a moron. Thus, "we" is appropriate.

Look, if you enjoy me insulting you, more power to you.
I enjoy watching you pathetically attempt to insult me, much like I enjoy seeing a comedy where someone thinks he's Napoleon. You (and perhaps your friends, who are probably too nice to tell you what an idiot you are) are the only person who thinks your attempts were successful.

And, you must since you basically begged me to do it.
I sarcastically asked you to give me a nickname, since the other ones made me laugh. Lowbrow humor has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 15:08.

Jun 22, 2007, 14:13
JD
Re: Steam Jun 22, 2007, 14:13
Jun 22, 2007, 14:13
JD

You didn't mean knowledge of Lord of the Rings, you meant using a name from Lord of the Rings. As if there's a big difference
There is a big difference. Calling yourself the name directly implies that you like the subject. A normal person wouldn't name themselves after something they hate.

I'm sorry, but since I don't make a big deal about my online name
You invited my criticism of your name when you challenged me to lampoon it. Don't go on and on crying about it now.

Inviting your friends (if you have any) or family to read your posts doesn't count.
Why the hell wouldn't it count? An audience is an audience. And, if I were seeking approval, I would rather get the approval of people I know personally and respect than some anonymous strangers who could be retarded or deranged like you.

Since we judge our success by our approval and enjoyment, we have been successful.
"We"?! So the other fools have elected you their spokesman? Look, if you enjoy me insulting you, more power to you. And, you must since you basically begged me to do it.
This comment was edited on Jun 22, 14:18.

Jun 22, 2007, 08:01
Re: Steam Jun 22, 2007, 08:01
Jun 22, 2007, 08:01

I did, and I inferred it directly from your statement. By the way, questions like this are why I call you stupid.
Fine, I'll stop asking rhetorical questions. Next time I'll say "I wouldn't have trouble remembering the name."

It's a good analogy, but I tried to keep it simple so you would understand it.
The analogy is simple - it's simply bad. As I said, a minor character (or Tower - I wouldn't know because I'm not a "Tolkie") in a book by Tolkien is hardly equivalent to the main character in HL2.

hahaha And yet you still claim not to be a Tolkie.
When did I say I read said novel? True, Wikipedia wasn't around when I came up with the nickname, but I could have easily picked up the name somewhere else. If I'm a Tolkie for knowing who Ecthelion is, then so are you.

No, that would only make the hypocrisy worse because it is the fanboys who know all of the names of the minor characters and other minutia of the game.
It's true that fanboys know all that stuff. However, as I said, I don't go onto Tolkien forums and flame people. I'm not that much of a masochist. And as I will show in just a moment, choosing that name doesn't make me a hypocrite in the first place.

You can't criticize them for that knowledge and obsession and then be the same thing.
You now know more about Ecthelion than I ever did, all thanks to some Wikipedia reading (and perhaps elsewhere). By your line of reasoning, you cannot make fun of "Tolkies" anymore. Oh wait, I forgot. You didn't mean knowledge of Lord of the Rings, you meant using a name from Lord of the Rings. As if there's a big difference. As for obsession, I'm not obsessed with Lord of the Rings, and I never was even when I considered the books somewhat entertaining. It's possible to hate a band, but still like and respect its name or one of its album covers. Only someone without the ability for higher reasoning considers those the same thing.

By the way, if I were to get into an argument with a Tolkien fanboy, and my name confused him because he thought I'd be on his side, I consider it an added bonus of the name.

I'm not really concerned about what you think of my name, because you would have found a way to ridicule it anyway, if it hadn't been from a Tolkien novel. But I did ask for you to come up with something for me. The other name actually made me laugh, so you should stick with it.

No, that is not what I wrote or meant. Don't change it to try and make yourself feel correct. What I wrote was that you would rather read Tolkien than get laid. And, someone so enamored with Tolkien that they name themselves after one of his characters or buildings probably would rather read his works than get laid.
Again, you're full of shit. You criticize me for inferring things from your statements when you do the same with mine. I am not enamored with Tolkien. Someone does not need to be enamored with something in order to use a name from it. I'm sorry, but since I don't make a big deal about my online name (as if it's supposed to make me cool or something), I don't need to go through some ritual to choose a name. It doesn't have to be something that I'm obsessed with. If I like the way a name looks or sounds, that's enough for me.

Don't change it to try and make yourself feel correct.
I don't need to. I can just be like you and say I'm correct and have "won" without needing any evidence.

I do not and did not consider Day of Defeat a port since it it not a straight port like Half-Life Source and Half-Life Deathmatch Source.
Fine. I was just using an example.

By the way, even Half-Life Source and HLDM Source changed their core engine. More work was done in porting them than in slapping the UT2003 maps in UT2004.

You claimed it there. Valve hasn't done anything for Half-Life 2 itself since its release other than some minor patches to correct bugs and the release of Lost Coast as a free map. All of those other source "games" have been made to sell in their own right. Those games don't do anything for the original game or its owners. All of Epic's extra content for UT2004 benefits all owners of UT2004. That is why your statement of "It still doesn't compare to what Valve has done for HL2" isn't true. Sure you may have intended the statement to mean something else, but in context with the other posts in that thread, the most obvious meaning was the one I described.
I can see how you might have misinterpreted my post. I wasn't talking about HL2 Singleplayer, I was talking about the HL2 "line" (i.e. the Source engine games that go hand in hand with HL2). Those games do support HL2 Singleplayer though, because Valve packages those titles together and markets them together.

In regards to actual content made to provide added value to the original game, yes, Epic has produced more for UT2004 than Valve has for HL2. I never claimed otherwise (although as I said, I can see how my original statement can be misleading). If I had indeed meant my statement the way you interpreted it, I can see how someone might think I was blindly agreeing with someone else. I will endeavor to be clearer in future posts.

Don't assume that no one is laughing just because they don't post here. I know for a fact I am not the only one.
I didn't realize you were clairvoyant. How exactly do you "know for a fact" that you're not the only one laughing at your pathetic insults? Inviting your friends (if you have any) or family to read your posts doesn't count.

But even if I were, I judge success by my own approval and enjoyment not by that of others.
In that case, you can't say you're more successful than any of us or that you have "won". Since we judge our success by our approval and enjoyment, we have been successful.

By the way, that's also how George Bush judges his success. He doesn't need those new-fangled approval ratings to know he's successful. But hey, I guess it helps him get up everyone morning instead of just wanting to give up and quit, so if it works for him, it must work for you too. Just remember - he thinks he's successful, but all the while the rest of the world is laughing at him.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 08:23.

Re: ...
Jun 21, 2007, 22:15
Kxmode

Re: ... Jun 21, 2007, 22:15
Jun 21, 2007, 22:15
 Kxmode

Yeah I work with someone like that at work. I really want to kill them.

-----
"SUPREME COMMANDER PATCH: 2008"
(http://music.download.com/kxmode)
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 21, 2007, 22:02
... Jun 21, 2007, 22:02
Jun 21, 2007, 22:02

My name's JD... blah... blah... I'm a boring twat... blah... blah... look at me, I'm so smart... blah... blah...
Indeed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 21, 2007, 17:56
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 17:56
Jun 21, 2007, 17:56
JD

Who said I'd have trouble remembering the name?
I did, and I inferred it directly from your statement. By the way, questions like this are why I call you stupid.

That's a terrible analogy
It's a good analogy, but I tried to keep it simple so you would understand it.

Ecthelion isn't even in Lord of the Rings - he's a minor character in a related novel.
hahaha And yet you still claim not to be a Tolkie.

By the way according to Wikipedia, Ecthelion is also supposed to be a tower in Lord of the Rings. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Ecthelion

If someone named him or herself after a minor character in HL, then they could probably get away with making fun of HL fanboys.
No, that would only make the hypocrisy worse because it is the fanboys who know all of the names of the minor characters and other minutia of the game. You can't criticize them for that knowledge and obsession and then be the same thing.

I would define calling someone a loser with no social life (insinuated from your statement that Tolkein fans don't get laid)
No, that is not what I wrote or meant. Don't change it to try and make yourself feel correct. What I wrote was that you would rather read Tolkien than get laid. And, someone so enamored with Tolkien that they name themselves after one of his characters or buildings probably would rather read his works than get laid.

When did I imply that?
That was my impression when I read it because you were replying in agreement with Dacock and previous posters.

Day of Defeat Source is just a port of Day of Defeat. Be consistent at least.
I do not and did not consider Day of Defeat a port since it it not a straight port like Half-Life Source and Half-Life Deathmatch Source.

if we remove UT2004's ported content, it doesn't have more maps than Steam's various Source titles.
Probably not when considering all of the Source titles collectively.

When did I claim otherwise? It still doesn't compare to what Valve has done for HL2 though.
You claimed it there. Valve hasn't done anything for Half-Life 2 itself since its release other than some minor patches to correct bugs and the release of Lost Coast as a free map. All of those other source "games" have been made to sell in their own right. Those games don't do anything for the original game or its owners. All of Epic's extra content for UT2004 benefits all owners of UT2004. That is why your statement of "It still doesn't compare to what Valve has done for HL2" isn't true. Sure you may have intended the statement to mean something else, but in context with the other posts in that thread, the most obvious meaning was the one I described.

The only person who's judged your insults a success is yourself.
Don't assume that no one is laughing just because they don't post here. I know for a fact I am not the only one. But even if I were, I judge success by my own approval and enjoyment not by that of others.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 17:59.

Jun 21, 2007, 17:10
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 17:10
Jun 21, 2007, 17:10

And, there it is again, folks. Here's a hint: I don't want to have to think of something else. Coming up with a new username and then remembering it wouldn't take much thought if you weren't an idiot.
Who said I'd have trouble remembering the name? I could easily come up with a new name, but people like you would find a way to ridicule it just as easily. What's the point?

And, you asked why I called you stupid. Do you seriously not see anything ironic and hypocritical about someone naming themselves after a character or structure a fictional work or product, and then ridiculing fans of that same work? To put it in terms you can better understand, it would be like calling yourself Gordon Freeman, and then making fun of Half-Life fanboys.
That's a terrible analogy, but I'm not surprised it's the best you could come up with (honestly, what should anyone expect from someone who changes Dagok to Dacock - don't they have special schools for people like you?). Calling myself Gordon Freeman and making fun of HL fanboys would be akin to naming myself Gandalf and making fun of Tolkien fanboys. Ecthelion isn't even in Lord of the Rings - he's a minor character in a related novel. If someone named him or herself after a minor character in HL, then they could probably get away with making fun of HL fanboys. Call it hypocritical if you want. I would define calling someone a loser with no social life (insinuated from your statement that Tolkein fans don't get laid) on a fucking PC games forum as pretty damn hypocritical.

Literally that's true, but your implication was that Valve had produced more games or game content, and that simply isn't the case. Only a lovestruck Valve fanboy would believe that.
When did I imply that? I was trying to argue that Valve has released more content post-release, which is correct.

Yes, UT2004 does contain all of UT2003's content. But, UT2004 does have a lot of content and gameplay that UT2003 does not have, and it could still stand on its own as a separate game even if that content from UT2003 were left out.
Agreed. However, you can't count UT2004's maps from UT2003 as being part of the content if you're going to say Day of Defeat Source is just a port of Day of Defeat. Be consistent at least. Anyway, if we remove UT2004's ported content (actually most of it was just copied straight over without porting, if I'm not mistaken), it doesn't have more maps than Steam's various Source titles.

It's not beside the point. That was a main point in that thread. Epic has in fact provided more free content in the past three years than Valve.
When did I claim otherwise? I said "To be fair, Epic has done a good job of supporting UT2004, releasing bonus packs and patches for a year and a half after the game was released. It still doesn't compare to what Valve has done for HL2 though." When I talked about supporting UT2004, it might appear that I'm only talking about patches and such. But I wasn't, I was talking about supporting the game/engine with additional content, whether free or not.

The big difference is that if Epic didn't produce as much for UT2004 after release as Valve did for HL2 (and I am not completely certain that it did not) it is simply because Epic didn't have to given all of the content that was already included in the game. Valve's recent "games" on the other hand tend to ship with so little content to begin with that of course it adds more content after release. Valve spends many months or longer to add content over time which developers like Epic would have included at release. I agree that Valve is not sitting on its ass after the release of its games, but that does NOT mean that it is providing more content for its games than other developers do.
You have a point here. But UT2004 isn't the best example, because so much of its content was recycled from UT2003 (and I'm not talking about porting content like converting a game to source - the maps from 2003 were unchanged). If you compare the total amount of new content from UT2004 to the total amount of new content from HL2, the comparison isn't as much in Epic's favor (if at all).

By the way, I think Epic is one of the better developers out there. I'm not sure how I'd rate them in comparison to Valve. I tend to enjoy Valve's games more, but Epic has always done a good job in other areas. Please don't take my defense of Valve as an indication that I would flame Epic, because I wouldn't. In fact, I think bitching about any developer is pretty stupid, and I don't do it much. There are developer which make games I don't care for, but there aren't any I hate enough to whine about it.

Oh, I am not sputtering at all. You fools are making this all too easy. The only ridiculous insults are collectively your pathetic attempts.
The only person who's judged your insults a success is yourself. On a related note, the insane often think they're geniuses. By the way, a comedian might think he's the funniest person in the world, but if no one is paying to hear his jokes, he's pretty damn unsuccessful.

The people on the receiving end of my onslaught are only having more fun if they are masochists.
Again, the only person who recognizes your self-styled success is yourself. Perhaps I should have worded my statement differently. We're not really having fun. It's more like pity to see you suffering from your delusions.

There's certainly more people in the opposition
500 Blue's News users can't be wrong!

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 17:14.

Jun 21, 2007, 16:14
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 16:14
Jun 21, 2007, 16:14
JD

As far as being stupid, I fail to see the connection.
And, there it is again, folks. Here's a hint: I don't want to have to think of something else. Coming up with a new username and then remembering it wouldn't take much thought if you weren't an idiot.

Congratulations - you've hit a new low (which is saying a lot
Well at least you obviously don't believe that I wrote that racist crap about Jews which that lying prick theyarecummingforyou attributed to me because that is a lot worse than me insulting your wife. Also, I see no reason to pull my punches. Don't bring your wife into the battle if you expect her to be unscathed.

Why would I change my nickname?
And, you asked why I called you stupid. Do you seriously not see anything ironic and hypocritical about someone naming themselves after a character or structure in a fictional work or product, and then ridiculing fans of that same work? To put it in terms you can better understand, it would be like calling yourself Gordon Freeman, and then making fun of Half-Life fanboys.

Most people define a lie as an intentional falsehood, but let's use the more general definition of "falsehood"
First, I agree, but you forget that I am restricted by limitations of your username. Second, your falsehoods could very well be intentional since as a Valve fanboy, you could be using them as propaganda even though you know they are really untrue or inaccurate.

Take a look at your own posts. Not one is free of exaggeration and hyperbole.
The difference is when I use exaggeration, it's for comic effect.

I had forgotten about UC2. That made me off by a grand total of 1 title.
A lie is a lie no matter how small.

I said titles, not games.
Literally that's true, but your implication was that Valve had produced more games or game content, and that simply isn't the case. Only a lovestruck Valve fanboy would believe that.

But, a large number of those maps came straight from UT2003 (how do you like them apples, Mr. "ports don't count as separate titles"?).
Yes, UT2004 does contain all of UT2003's content. But, UT2004 does have a lot of content and gameplay that UT2003 does not have, and it could still stand on its own as a separate game even if that content from UT2003 were left out.

Okay, change my original statement...Anyway, it's besides the point.
It's not beside the point. That was a main point in that thread. Epic has in fact provided more free content in the past three years than Valve.

Epic didn't do as much stuff for the UT2004 franchise post-release as Valve did...Valve has not been sitting on their collective asses. They've been churning stuff out. Whether it's free or not doesn't affect how productive they are.
The big difference is that if Epic didn't produce as much for UT2004 after release as Valve did for HL2 (and I am not completely certain that it did not) it is simply because Epic didn't have to given all of the content that was already included in the game. Valve's recent "games" on the other hand tend to ship with so little content to begin with that of course it adds more content after release. Valve spends many months or longer to add content over time which developers like Epic would have included at release. I agree that Valve is not sitting on its ass after the release of its games, but that does NOT mean that it is providing more content for its games than other developers do.

It's incredibly entertaining to watch you sputtering and wildly flinging ridiculous insults around.
Oh, I am not sputtering at all. You fools are making this all too easy. The only ridiculous insults are collectively your pathetic attempts.

I'm not sure who's having more fun - you or the "opposition."
The people on the receiving end of my onslaught are only having more fun if they are masochists.

There's certainly more people in the opposition
Oh yes, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 02:12.

Jun 21, 2007, 15:29
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 15:29
Jun 21, 2007, 15:29

hahahahahaha I would have had more respect for you if you had admitted to being a fan. This way you're just really stupid and lazy. Of course I am not surprised.
Of course I'm lazy. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people who post on a gaming forum are. At least I can admit it. As far as being stupid, I fail to see the connection. As you said, non-Tolkien don't know who Ecthelion is, so how is it stupid? Stupid would be to use an easily recognizable name like "Frodo278". Laziness and stupidity are different.

Your wife must have been really lonely and desparate. Or, she was just too lazy to find someone better. That must be it. You two are perfect for each other. But, for the sake of the rest of us please don't have any kids.
Congratulations - you've hit a new low (which is saying a lot).

Genius, you might what to change your nickname first. How about changing it to "The Hypocrite"?
Why would I change my nickname? There's no way in hell I would get into a discussion with Tolkien fanboys who actually know who Ecthelion is, and since "normal" people don't know who Ecthelion is, there's no problem with using the name. You had to look it up.

Besides, that's not the only place the name has been used. It's actually in the Baldur's Gate manual (or is it the Baldur's Gate 2 manual?) as the player name in a few of the screenshots. I discovered this after choosing the name, but that's besides the point.

Actually, to be honest I just picked the name because I liked the way it sounded. I wasn't a huge Tolkien fan even when I first picked the name. Anyway, I could make fun of your name too if I wanted. JD could easily mean John Denver, after all.

A lot of what you post are lies and exaggerations.
Most people define a lie as an intentional falsehood, but let's use the more general definition of "falsehood" (whether intentional or not) for now. None of my "lies" were intentionally incorrect statements, but let's move on. As far as exaggerations go, I guess it would take a habitual exaggerator to see when other people are exaggerating, huh? Take a look at your own posts. Not one is free of exaggeration and hyperbole.

Epic has released more than two games even if you are only counting since the start of 2004 (UT2004, UC2, and Gears of War).
I had forgotten about UC2. That made me off by a grand total of 1 title.

Oh really?! A dozen games since 2004? I supposed you think Lost Coast is a "game"? Hell even calling HL2 : DM or the Source ports of HL1 and HL : DM separate games is a joke. That would be like calling each of UT2004's many inluded game types like Onslaught, CTF, Deathmatch, Bombing Run, and Invasion separate games since they all have their own sets of maps and unique gameplay. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that each of UT2004's gametypes has as many or more officially released maps for it as Valve's "games" like HL2 : DM, HLS : DM, and DOD : Source.
I said titles (i.e. releases), not games. If Epic had released UT2004's gametypes separately as stand alone titles, yes, they would count as separate titles (again, not games) too. As far as number of maps, yes UT2004 beats all of Valve's titles. But, a large number of those maps came straight from UT2003 (how do you like them apples, Mr. "ports don't count as separate titles"?). Additionally, some of the UT2004 developers said UT2004 had too many maps and that they were cutting back for UT3.

None of the additional "games" Valve has released for HL2 has been free except for Lost Coast. Whether or not a HL2 owner gets those additional "games" without additional cost depends upon which sku/version of HL2 he bought and how much he paid. The individual version of HL2 on Steam does not and has never come with these extras despite being sold for $39.99, $29.99, and (finally almost three years since release) now $19.99. With UT2004 it doesn't matter if you paid $40 for the game when it was released, $20 a year later, or $15 for it and the whole Unreal Anthology like I recently did. Everyone who bought any version of the game at any price gets all of the additional content Epic has released for the game. Valve does not do that, and hasn't done it for years.
Okay, change my original statement to "True, the things Valve has done have almost all cost money..." Anyway, it's besides the point. We weren't talking about cost, we were talking about output. Epic didn't do as much stuff for the UT2004 franchise post-release as Valve did. I fully agree with you that UT2004 offers better value (and you could argue UT2004 had more content to begin with), but the fact of the matter is, Valve has not been sitting on their collective asses. They've been churning stuff out. Whether it's free or not doesn't affect how productive they are.

I don't have to pretend. I have won. Mocking and insulting you fools as I have is incredibly entertaining.
Keep deluding yourself. It's incredibly entertaining to watch you sputtering and wildly flinging ridiculous insults around. I'm not sure who's having more fun - you or the "opposition." There's certainly more people in the opposition, so in terms of sheer entertainment gained from this, I'd say we're in the lead.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 15:47.

Jun 21, 2007, 14:20
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 14:20
Jun 21, 2007, 14:20
JD

You're probably not going to believe this, but I'm not a big fan of Tolkien. I picked the name when I was a kid and continue to use it because I don't want to have to think of something else.
hahahahahaha I would have had more respect for you if you had admitted to being a fan. This way you're just really stupid and lazy. Of course I am not surprised.

I don't need those "accomplishments" to validate my manliness.
You also don't need anything more to validate your stupidity and lazyness either. You're some catch. Your wife must have been really lonely and desperate. Or, she was just too lazy to find someone better. That must be it. You two are perfect for each other. But, for the sake of the rest of us please don't have any kids.

Tolkie sounds like a good name for Tolkien fanboys. I'll join you in ridiculing them.
Genius, you might what to change your nickname first. How about changing it to "The Hypocrite"?

but what did I lie about? Refresh my memory please.
A lot of what you post are lies and exaggerations. Like what you wrote in http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=78555&id=385234&boardid=1&view=threads

that's still only two titles for Epic
Epic has released more than two games even if you are only counting since the start of 2004 (UT2004, UC2, and Gears of War).

Valve has released almost a dozen.
Oh really?! A dozen games since 2004? I supposed you think Lost Coast is a "game"? Hell even calling HL2 : DM or the Source ports of HL1 and HL : DM separate games is a joke. That would be like calling each of UT2004's many inluded game types like Onslaught, CTF, Deathmatch, Bombing Run, and Invasion separate games since they all have their own sets of maps and unique gameplay. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that each of UT2004's gametypes has as many or more officially released maps for it as Valve's "games" like HL2 : DM, HLS : DM, and DOD : Source.

It still doesn't compare to what Valve has done for HL2 though. True, the things Valve has done have not all been free
None of the additional "games" Valve has released for HL2 has been free except for Lost Coast. Whether or not a HL2 owner gets those additional "games" without additional cost depends upon which sku/version of HL2 he bought and how much he paid. The individual version of HL2 on Steam does not and has never come with these extras despite being sold for $39.99, $29.99, and (finally almost three years since release) now $19.99. With UT2004 it doesn't matter if you paid $40 for the game when it was released, $20 a year later, or $15 for it and the whole Unreal Anthology like I recently did. Everyone who bought any version of the game at any price gets all of the additional content Epic has released for the game. Valve does not do that, and hasn't done it for years.

If you're just going to make stuff up, at least be creative with it.
No, I'm not making it up but look, your username comes from the kingdom of geekdom. It's not giving me much to work with with regards to puns. I like DefectTheLyin' though. It's clever, insulting, and apt.

if your interpretation of that is that I suck Valve's cock or let Valve fuck me in the ass, so be it.
At least you are taking it like a woman and not pretending it's rape like theyarecummingforyou does.

Of course, you'll probably ignore what I said and pretend you won.
I don't have to pretend. I have won. Mocking and insulting you fools as I have is incredibly entertaining. It's only a real shame it's being wasted on this tiny audience.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 14:55.

Jun 21, 2007, 13:46
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 13:46
Jun 21, 2007, 13:46

And, yes I had to look "Ecthelion" up on wikipedia since I am not a Tolkien fanboy like you. I had no idea what the fuck it is supposed to be.
You're probably not going to believe this, but I'm not a big fan of Tolkien. I picked the name when I was a kid and continue to use it because I don't want to have to think of something else. I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were boring (watch Clerks 2 and listen to Randal, who I totally agree with about the movies) and the books themselves are overrated. I was so bored with the 2nd movie (I should have given up after the 1st, to be honest), I never even bothered with the 3rd one. I haven't cared about Lord of the Rings in quite a few years. I only watched the first 2 movies because everyone was gushing about how good they were, and I wanted to see what the ruckus was about.

You should call yourself "I'd rather read Tolkien than get laid."
I'm happily married to a very attractive young woman - I don't need to worry about getting laid. I'll take a beautiful loving wife and the intimacy involved over lots of one-night stands any day. I don't need those "accomplishments" to validate my manliness.

By the way, what are you Tolkien fanboy's called? Tolkies? I think that will be my new name for you: Tolkie.
Tolkie sounds like a good name for Tolkien fanboys. I'll join you in ridiculing them.

Or how about DefectTheLyin'? I think it will go with that one since you are a defective, lying bastard.
As for my other name, I can understand the "Defect" part, but what did I lie about? Refresh my memory please. If you're just going to make stuff up, at least be creative with it.

You'll have to try harder, since I've refuted every single one of your claims, beside the Valve fanboy one. I make no apologies for liking Valve, and if your interpretation of that is that I suck Valve's cock or let Valve fuck me in the ass, so be it. Of course, you'll probably ignore what I said and pretend you won.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 13:49.

Jun 21, 2007, 12:42
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 12:42
Jun 21, 2007, 12:42
JD

So, JD - now that I've revealed myself as a Valve shill
Oh wow, there's a shocker! Like no one could tell from your posts in other Valve-related threads.

can you turn my name into something childish too?
I don't need to. Your name is already childish. You should call yourself "I'd rather read Tolkien than get laid."

And, yes I had to look "Ecthelion" up on wikipedia since I am not a Tolkien fanboy like you. I had no idea what the fuck it is supposed to be. By the way, what are you Tolkien fanboy's called? Tolkies? I think that will be my new name for you: Tolkie.

Or how about DefectTheLyin'? I think it will go with that one since you are a defective, lying bastard.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 13:16.

Jun 21, 2007, 12:06
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 12:06
Jun 21, 2007, 12:06
JD

Any particular reason why you didn't mention the amount of RAM used when IE is minimized like you did with steam?
Yes. It's called stupidity.

Jun 21, 2007, 12:04
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 12:04
Jun 21, 2007, 12:04

For comparisons sake, I opened IE, which would likely be the only officially supported browser. About 25MB of RAM there, sitting on a blank page.

Any particular reason why you didn't mention the amount of RAM used when IE is minimized like you did with steam?

Jun 21, 2007, 11:56
JD
Re: Steam Jun 21, 2007, 11:56
Jun 21, 2007, 11:56
JD

Thank you thank you I'll be here all week.
Don't quit your day job, spongebob, or you'll starve to death.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 11:57.
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older