Dungeon Runners Running

NCsoft announces that Dungeon Runners is live, offering an MMORPG that is free-to-play, though there is also a premium mode for those looking for a leg up. Word is:
Tuesday 29th May/...NCsoft® North America announced it has opened to the public its first free-to-download and play game, Dungeon Runners™, as the company continues to expand its online entertainment offerings. Dungeon Runners is an online, multiplayer role playing game in a fast-paced sword-and-shield setting where defeating monsters and evil enemies results in piles of loot and treasure.

Dungeon Runners, currently available strictly via free digital download, has a play-for-free tier where players can access large chunks of the game’s content, and a “membership level” for $4.99 per month where players are given, among other things, log-in queue priority and access to the most powerful items, weapons and armor. Membership status also includes bank storage for up to 220 loot items and the ability to stack potions in one slot to save room for even more loot.

In Dungeon Runners, there are a variety of character archetypes to choose from including fighter, mage and ranger in a classless RPG system where players are not locked into skills that are usually associated with their specific archetype.

Dungeon Runners focuses mainly on action and battles with limited death penalties and endless gold, weapons, armor and magic items available to claim after defeating hordes of monsters. The game also features a lighter side, with subtle and not-so-subtle humor sprinkled throughout the game including names of many items in the game. For example, one particularly dangerous sword is called “Shifty’s Crystal Sword of the Hypersonic Monkey” and a very helpful magic item called the “Pulsating Dragon Eye Amulet of the Thorny Donkey.”

“Dungeon Runners is a lot of fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously. But the game will take players into an action packed-adventure, where they blaze through a maze of dungeons, face fierce monsters and formidable opponents to become a hero,” said Stephen Nichols, NCsoft’s producer and lead programmer for Dungeon Runners. “Regardless if a player pays to be a member or plays for free, Dungeon Runners will deliver more than 200 hours of game play and a continually growing number of missions and quests. The game is also designed to appeal to gamers who have limited time to give to a game, but it will have the content to keep players adventuring for hours at a time.”

While NCsoft presents Dungeon Runners as a scaled down version of its other online games, Dungeon Runners is far superior to other “free with membership” type games due to the high standards NCsoft’s development team applies to all the products it creates, regardless of business model. “Dungeon Runners is a bold leap into a new business model for NCsoft and it is taking us into a new direction in terms of the kind of games we can provide our customers,” said Robert Garriott, CEO of NCsoft North America. “There are plenty of other ‘free’ games available for online RPG fans, but none that packs as many features as Dungeon Runners has or comes with the NCsoft stamp of quality. We expect that players will receive this game warmly because it is fast, fun and free. It is hard to beat that deal.”
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Well...
May 31, 2007, 01:52
Kxmode

Re: Well... May 31, 2007, 01:52
May 31, 2007, 01:52
 Kxmode

if noone can make a good, paid MMORPG, I wouldn't expect much from a free to play one.

Try Anarchy Online. Although it took months after launch and a few expansions to get there, it's a rock solid MMO with a free-to-download, free-to-play model. The core game is free, the expansion content you buy and upgrade your account to. But the main world is big enough that you could play for months and years and never pay a dime. Course there's billboard style in-game ads but they're tolerable since some seem to blend well into AO's gritty future world.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on May 31, 01:53.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: No subject
May 30, 2007, 19:04
Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 19:04
May 30, 2007, 19:04

Exactly. I was fortunate enough to get the the Mythos aplha and it literally plays like an MMO Diablo. Blows this game away and it too will be free.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

No subject
May 30, 2007, 12:33
No subject May 30, 2007, 12:33
May 30, 2007, 12:33

Wait for Mythos.

Haters
May 30, 2007, 09:55
Tom
Haters May 30, 2007, 09:55
May 30, 2007, 09:55
Tom

As expected, tons of negative comments here.

Well, I tried this game on the recommendation of a friend about a month or two ago. At first I thought "wow, this is crappy, low production values". But after I gave it a chance, I found it to be a decent rendition of Diablo 2 in 3D with some nice features to keep the game fast and fun. For example, being able to right-click on anyone in your party and say "Goto" instantly teleports you to them. The classless system is nice. Want to cast spells but also use ranger DOTs? No problem.

If you liked Diablo 2, you'd probably enjoy this game if you gave it a fair chance. It is shallow in some ways and has its share of problems, but it's fun. Note that the free mode is crap and you'll have to pay the $5/month to really have any fun with the game. But you could play it for a couple of months, quit, and still come out ahead of most other games when it comes to value.

Alright, now bring on the shill accusations, bitches.

Re: Killes
May 30, 2007, 07:23
Re: Killes May 30, 2007, 07:23
May 30, 2007, 07:23

dont you mean Diablo2 like.

its not really everquest like. and its not an mmo really.
Everquest 1 never had quests like that.

please play more games

Re: Killes
May 30, 2007, 06:39
PHJF

Re: Killes May 30, 2007, 06:39
May 30, 2007, 06:39
 PHJF

For lack of anything better to do I spent the night playing this:

All quests are 100% everquest 1 variety. Kill monster. Get item. Take back to town. Quest rewards are limited to gold and "king coins". King coins are used to buy items which, lo and behold, are not usable by free players. There is no experience reward for doing quests; the only way to level up is to mindlessly kill enemies. Every dungeon is instanced, and you only ever see other players in the one town that this game apparently has. There are no professions. There are three "classes" which have no impact on the game whatsoever; any character can learn any skill from any class.

The only, only, only thing setting this apart from anything else is that it is a parody of WoW. Weapon speeds range from (literally) Grandma to Ludicrous; what little NPC voice acting there is is absurd and irellevant. Item descriptions run a gauntlet of pointless terms from "Armor of Baby Seal Skin" to "Intergalactic Cereal Box Ring". While this parody is clever at first, it fails to mask the utter shallowness and poor quality the game offers.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Killes
May 30, 2007, 03:00
Killes May 30, 2007, 03:00
May 30, 2007, 03:00

Killes, you signed up for Bluesnews just to post this 1 comment? Hmm, shill comes to mind.

Yes, D2 FTW but not this steaming pile to dog crap.

I just installed it and played it for about 15 min gawd what a pile of garbage.

People are MUCH better just running out and buying D2. You could probably get it for a steal at any store right now.

As for this, I was WRONG you CAN beat FREE! You would have to PAY me alot of money to play this turd.

I could go to the bathroom right now and get a log of crap for free but I'm not gonna play with it.

Well...
May 30, 2007, 02:55
Well... May 30, 2007, 02:55
May 30, 2007, 02:55

if noone can make a good, paid MMORPG, I wouldn't expect much from a free to play one.

Re: Donkeys, Monkeys, etc.
May 30, 2007, 02:43
Re: Donkeys, Monkeys, etc. May 30, 2007, 02:43
May 30, 2007, 02:43

Thinks of the free component as a sort of expanded demo of sorts?
Its fun if mindless horde massacre is what you like, and i do, ergo Doom2 FTW, dungeon runners FTW etc etc....

May 30, 2007, 02:24
Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 02:24
May 30, 2007, 02:24

The game is funny though. Almost hysterically so at times. I think it's a fun little Diabloish clone.

Boss Paul Vitti: I can feel the juices rushing back to my balls as we speak.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Well, that's something I never thought I'd hear another man say to me.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 30, 2007, 00:36
PHJF

Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 00:36
May 30, 2007, 00:36
 PHJF

This is indeed pretty lousy, free or not.

And they list "stackable" potions as a feature because, guess what, if you don't pay for the game, you cannot stack potions. You also can't vault equipment, there is no PVP, you can't use any "gold" lettered (good) items (which will still drop, and this includes Major health/mana potions).

GG. The people in game are more than willing to blindly defend it as being a great game worth paying for... can't imagine why. They think it's better than WoW.

------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

No subject
May 30, 2007, 00:14
TB
No subject May 30, 2007, 00:14
May 30, 2007, 00:14
TB

Dont be fooled, this game is way bad. Its barely beta let alone final. Major portions of its basic features are missing, free to play users get royaly screwed over, and the chat tends to be filled with compliants. Avoid this one.

Re: koreans only?
May 29, 2007, 23:48
Re: koreans only? May 29, 2007, 23:48
May 29, 2007, 23:48

Just saw a gameplay video. Looks pretty good for a free game. Better than NWN2 anyway..
(yes i'm Still dissapointed about NWN2)
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Re: Fausticle
May 29, 2007, 23:41
Kxmode

Re: Fausticle May 29, 2007, 23:41
May 29, 2007, 23:41
 Kxmode

imagine Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizard selling points.

I think TSN had something like that in LarryLand. What's TSN you ask?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sierra_Network

( bonus nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-RvRfmTidk )

-----
This comment was edited on May 29, 23:45.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: Fausticle
May 29, 2007, 23:14
Re: Fausticle May 29, 2007, 23:14
May 29, 2007, 23:14

Or imagine Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizard selling points.

*sigh* I miss the gold old days, no ESRB, Sierra and Lucasarts still made games, and having that holy grail of floppy boot up disk's nearby when ya wanted Wing Commander with the Voice Packs.

Fausticle
May 29, 2007, 22:47
Fausticle May 29, 2007, 22:47
May 29, 2007, 22:47

That was pretty funny

Danger, Will Robinson!
May 29, 2007, 22:46
Kxmode

Danger, Will Robinson! May 29, 2007, 22:46
May 29, 2007, 22:46
 Kxmode

Even as a free-to-download, free-to-play MMO this is not fun.

-----
This comment was edited on May 29, 22:48.

koreans only?
May 29, 2007, 22:08
koreans only? May 29, 2007, 22:08
May 29, 2007, 22:08

the ability to stack potions in one slot..

Wow! sign me up!

Really! I hate this new trend were companies are taking mundain things such as inventory space and making it seem like an extra feature.

Could you imagin them doing that way back in the day?

In ZORK! elite players will be able to utilise the 'U' key!
This will make it possible to type amazing words such as 'use' and 'underpants'!

But, to be far it IS hard to beat free.

This comment was edited on May 29, 22:36.

Donkeys, Monkeys, etc.
May 29, 2007, 21:56
Donkeys, Monkeys, etc. May 29, 2007, 21:56
May 29, 2007, 21:56

Shifty’s Crystal Sword of the Hypersonic Monkey

That's not funny.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older