Out of the Blue

"He doesn't dig poetry. He's so unhip that When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas, Whoever he was."

R.I.P.: Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, Nobel Prize Winner in Physics, Dies at 74 (registration required).
R.I.P.: Stanley Miller, 77; chemist was a pioneer in studying the origins of life (registration required).

Dylan-esque Links! Thanks Ant.
Links of the Morning: International Talk Like Bob Dylan Day.
Insanely detailed papercraft AT-ATs to download.
Stories: 60-Year-Old Mom Delivers Twins.
Police: Wife loses lip after calling man short.
Liquor Store Sells Cups Of Ice To-Go. Thanks Killer Kane.
Science!: Magnets may make the brain grow stronger.
Carbon Dioxide Emissions Down (registration required).
Jefferson scientists use gene therapy to reverse heart failure in animals.
Media: The Goodies - The Movies.
Firecracker kid. Viral video may yet re-spark evolution.
Follow-ups: U.S. Warns China on Tainted Pet Food.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Heroes
May 25, 2007, 11:06
Re: Heroes May 25, 2007, 11:06
May 25, 2007, 11:06

SST

Peter doesn't only get the powers that people are actively using -- he got Ted's ability without Ted using it; ditto for most others as well. And Sylar's used numerous other abilities around Peter without Peter ever getting them.

We also don't know the extent of Sylar's abilities -- he seems to have a few (like suddenly appearing in places) that are as of yet unexplained. He very well may have some healing ability, just nothing on the level of Claire's regeneration.

As for the guy who could see Molly -- I bet it's Simone's father (the guy Peter was originally taking care of). And I don't think he's dead yet either.

U.S. Warns China on Tainted Pet Food.
May 24, 2007, 23:31
Kxmode

U.S. Warns China on Tainted Pet Food. May 24, 2007, 23:31
May 24, 2007, 23:31
 Kxmode

They should also add Panda Express to their warnings. Oi vey.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 24, 2007, 23:28
Kxmode

Re: Heroes May 24, 2007, 23:28
May 24, 2007, 23:28
 Kxmode

SST
RE: But hopefully in the next season they will explain the 'Legacy' of the parents (like Peters Mom, Hiro's Father, etc). And fill us in on the guy that Molly (the little girl who can find anyone) is really afraid of (not Sylar).

Yeah in episode 23 she said there's one person she doesn't look for. Why? She says when she finds him/her they stare back. This person was never identified. I'm sure they will make an appearance during season two.

I wish there was a big massive showdown too. Would've been cool, esp for all the time vested in watching the show. You know big payoff at the end and stuff. But I understand why the finale ended the way it did. I'm cool with it. At least there will be a season two, unlike Jericho.

-----
This comment was edited on May 24, 23:29.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

So unhip....
May 24, 2007, 23:22
So unhip.... May 24, 2007, 23:22
May 24, 2007, 23:22

I've lost my harmonica, Albert!

May 24, 2007, 21:02
Re: Heroes May 24, 2007, 21:02
May 24, 2007, 21:02

SST
Well the thing about Sylar is that Sylars ability is to figure out how things work. So it doesn't seem like it's hard for him to grasp and control powers. But if you remember the episode where the Cop found the little girl in the closet, the parent at the dinning room table was frozen to death, then de-brained.
As for Peter, he gains any power from someone else he is around, except in the case of Sylar where he only seems to get the power that Sylar is using.

But 2 things really angered me in the season finale. 1) I wanted a big huge fight ala the 5 years in the future battle between Peter and Sylar. 2) If they woulda shot Peter in the head, he would have 'died' and just extract the bullet later in a safe spot and viola nobody would have been hurt.

But hopefully in the next season they will explain the 'Legacy' of the parents (like Peters Mom, Hiro's Father, etc). And fill us in on the guy that Molly (the little girl who can find anyone) is really afraid of (not Sylar).

May 24, 2007, 19:42
Cutter

Re: Heroes May 24, 2007, 19:42
May 24, 2007, 19:42
 Cutter

Du
Koenntest du schwimmen
Wie delphine
Delphine es tun
Niemand gibt uns eine chance
Doch koennen wir siegen
Fuer immer und immer
Und wir sind dann helden
Fuer einen tag

Boss Paul Vitti: I can feel the juices rushing back to my balls as we speak.
Dr. Ben Sobel: Well, that's something I never thought I'd hear another man say to me.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

May 24, 2007, 18:01
Kxmode

Re: Heroes May 24, 2007, 18:01
May 24, 2007, 18:01
 Kxmode

SST:

re: "He usually does get them just by being near, but in at least two cases he has not (he got TK from Sylar, but not his other abilities;"

So perhaps he can only absorb whatever ability the other is "using" at the time. If Sylar uses an ability Peter doesn't have you can bet he will get it. There seems to be a big difference between both. Sylar not only can steal the power but also the person's control of it. Episode 22 showed Sylar standing on the roof doing mini explosions. Only Ted ever got to that level of control. If Sylar really wanted to do massive harm to Peter all he would need to do is use all his abilities in tandem. That would dangerously overload Peter to the point of death or worse. (i.e. bomb part 2; only bigger?). Of course Sylar doesn't possess any healing abilities. An explosion of that magnitude or greater wouldn't do Sylar any good.

-----
This comment was edited on May 24, 18:12.

Something good on TV?
May 24, 2007, 16:56
Something good on TV? May 24, 2007, 16:56

Rumor has it that the last couple seasons of "24" are pretty good. I started watching the show when it first came out, and it was just OK, not great. Haven't seen it since halfway thru season 1.

Are any of the later seasons worth plunking down $30 at Costco for the whole season?

-----------------------------------
Gun control means using both hands ...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Heroes May 24, 2007, 16:56

If he can absorb abilities just by standing next to someone, then why is that whenever he stood next to Sylar he didn't absorb all of his accumulated abilities?

I think the best answer is: "Because the show writers didn't want him to".

SST:
He usually does get them just by being near, but in at least two cases he has not (he got TK from Sylar, but not his other abilities; and note that TK is the first power Sylar took, but not his original power. He also didn't absorb the Haitian's ability as far as we know).

And note that even when Peter does have scads of powers, he doesn't seem to use them very intelligently. His first fight against Sylar was just stupid -- he invis'd, turned around, and... stood there. Fly you nitwit. Stop time. TK him while invis. Do SOMETHING. The only time we ever saw him be smart was when he and Claude were surprised by Noah and the Haitian -- invis, stop time, TK the taser darts away, and fly off).

Peter's a nice guy, and very powerful, but he doesn't appear to be all that smart.

Re: Lost
May 24, 2007, 15:23
Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 15:23
May 24, 2007, 15:23

In My Ever So Frakking Humble Opinion.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

May 24, 2007, 15:14
Kxmode

Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 15:14
May 24, 2007, 15:14
 Kxmode

Okay I think I'm cool in that I know what OMGWTFBBQPOLARBEAR is but what the hell is IMESFHO? (sooo lost)

-----

Heroes
May 24, 2007, 15:07
Kxmode

Heroes May 24, 2007, 15:07
May 24, 2007, 15:07
 Kxmode

hated the way they ended Heroes

Out of courtesy...

I understand why many would've wanted some sort of epic Matrix-like showdown between Peter and Sylar, Sylar and Hiro, Sylar et all. The show doesn't work like that, yet. Nathan said to Peter, "You saved the Cheerleader so that we could save the world." The world is a metaphor for lots of people. In this case the world would've been the millions of lives lost had Peter nuked the city. Personally I thought the season finale was perfect. I loved how Volume 1 ended and Volume 2 starts!

My only problem with the show is Peter. If he can absorb abilities just by standing next to someone, then why is that whenever he stood next to Sylar he didn't absorb all of his accumulated abilities?

-----
This comment was edited on May 24, 15:16.

May 24, 2007, 14:55
Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 14:55
May 24, 2007, 14:55

Heroes was, of course, better.

I disagree. IMESFHO, I think the season finale of Lost was better. Heroes had an amazing season and was generally consistent, but I found the ending a bit too telegraphed. I mean, didn't we spend the last 10 minutes screaming at the TV SST: CUT SYLAR'S HEAD OFF OR HE WILL COME BACK, YOU FOOLS!? While with Lost, there were a whole bunch of OMG That was unexpected! (As compared to the OMGWTFBBQPOLARBEAR that Lost can sometimes venture into.)
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

No subject
May 24, 2007, 14:41
No subject May 24, 2007, 14:41
May 24, 2007, 14:41

However, if they cop out as you suggest and take the easy way out I will be pretty pissed off after investing so much time with the show.

Hey, the Sopranos got away with that for years and everyone still watches it.

obviously, they'll not tie up lost in one nice, tidy bow, but i am glad they have an end date settled on and can maybe work towards answering some of the bigger questions and still keep us happy along the way.

May 24, 2007, 14:31
JM
Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 14:31
May 24, 2007, 14:31
JM

I'm still wondering exactly what the writers are smoking, and I think they're going to wind up convienently "forgetting" huge threads before the end

I think that's what keeps me glued to the show. I have faith they're actually going to somehow tie everything together in a satisfying way and leave few, if any, loose ends. However, if they cop out as you suggest and take the easy way out I will be pretty pissed off after investing so much time with the show.

Re: No subject
May 24, 2007, 14:23
JM
Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 14:23
May 24, 2007, 14:23
JM

... hated the way they ended Heroes

Agreed. Although I do like the show, Heroes kinda left me with a "meh" feeling.

May 24, 2007, 14:18
Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 14:18
May 24, 2007, 14:18

Heroes rulez.......ahem...it is a good show.

lost....i "lost" interest in it long time ago.

No subject
May 24, 2007, 14:11
No subject May 24, 2007, 14:11
May 24, 2007, 14:11

ok, so shocked may have been a bad choice of words, but...

SST: I didn't see the flash-forwards until well into the show as not being flash-backs. it was nice to see jack grow a pair and give Ben his well deserved beating. i wasn't surprised about Charlie buying the farm, nor John coming back (but Walt being there in his big boy voice caught me off guard). i think Fox did a great job with Jack last night. I'm bummed about having to wait another 7 months to see where we go next.

With shows like this, i can easily drop myself into full oblivion to enjoy the surprises without seeing them coming. I was badly disappointed with the entire season of 24 this year and hated the way they ended Heroes.

edit: And i've never seen Rescue Me. but i love the shield. that show never disappoints.

This comment was edited on May 24, 14:13.
I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

May 24, 2007, 13:55
Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 13:55

Rescue Me starts June 13th!

AWESOME! Best show on TV.

Enahs

Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 13:55
 Enahs

I have never seen an episode of Lost or Heroes....*yawn*
I hate you guys!

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older