Steam Security Follow-up

1UP.com has a follow-up from Valve about reports that the Steam servers may have been compromised (story). Word from Doug Lombardi is that while information may have been retrieved from a third-party site, Steam is still safely contained in their steampipes:
Doug Lombardi, director of marketing at Valve, says, "There has been no security breach of Steam." However, he does confirm our expert's findings by adding, "The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Café program. This Cyber Café billing system is not connected to Steam. We are working with law enforcement agencies on this matter, and encourage anyone with more information to e-mail us at Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com."
View : : :
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned
Apr 22, 2007, 10:23
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 22, 2007, 10:23
Apr 22, 2007, 10:23

Lol some people take their leisure activities way too seriously.
Yes, seriously enough to spend a lot of money on video games from a company that can terminate its customers' ability to play those games for any reason including because it doesn't like their verbiage.

Apr 22, 2007, 09:04
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 22, 2007, 09:04
Apr 22, 2007, 09:04

Some people want access to the products they PAID for

I recently bought a game and have hardly got to play it and now I am unable to access what I paid for.

I dont spend my life playing games but I do expect to get what I paid for, dont you?

Thanks to Thomas at Valve some of us have had our MONEY STOLEN.

Since you obviously dont value what you earn (your money), perhaps you can offset our theft by Thomas at Valve (the thief and LIAR)

So, Thomas, how does it feel to be branded a THIEF and LIAR? Thats what you are.

If Thomas at Valve doesnt like this, well then he shouldnt STEAL and LIE.

I shall stop once I get access to what I PAID for.

Its that simple really.

PS: Somebody invent a real gravity gun so I can crush Thomas's nuts from the other side of the world, thanks.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 09:27.

Apr 22, 2007, 08:31
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 22, 2007, 08:31
Apr 22, 2007, 08:31

Lol some people take their leisure activities way too seriously.

Apr 22, 2007, 02:44
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 22, 2007, 02:44
Apr 22, 2007, 02:44

It is not a good idea to purchase from Steam, if you need a game, buy in the retail channel. That way you have some comeback.

DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO VALVE FOR STEAM.

I used to be a "supporter" but after Thomas's "huff" I will not be helping Valve.

People like Thomas at Valve give them a bad reputation.

Boycott Half Life 2: Episode 2, embarass them by poor sales.

Who do you believe, the customers who have dealt with Valve or Valve who's sole purpose is to get YOUR MONEY?

Good luck in dealing with assholes (and liars) like Thomas at Valve.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 03:24.

Apr 21, 2007, 20:09
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 20:09
Apr 21, 2007, 20:09

Dagok,

Trying to explain this to you is like teaching calculus to a dog. Read carefully:

1. I bought and finished HL2 when it first came out a long time ago. I wanted to play it again.
2. I no longer have the email or password or username. Unlike you, I do not live to play Valve games.
3. I DO have the CD and the key
4. That is NOT enough proof for Valve, regardless of how many emails you send or how nice your tone is.
5. Are you really 'slow' enough to believe I haven't tried to go through support? Why do you think I called them arrogant? They wouldn't help me without the email or userID. Why is that Valve's fault?

Because it's a stupid system that protects them and burns people like me who own a legal copy.

You are obviously a Valve fanboy. Read the other posts in 'Steam' threads. Many people don't like Valve. I'm one and I will keep my money in my pocket.

Apr 21, 2007, 12:15
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 12:15
Apr 21, 2007, 12:15

Steps you can take against Valve.

1) contact your Euro MP to push for pricing and DRM investigation and regulation (Apple iTunes volations are in the limelight, ride on that wave)
2) Increase Valve's Steam support costs by adding support tickets (keep Thomas busy chasing his ass)
3) Add some noise to Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com and send them on a wild goose chase
4) DONT HELP THEM in their witch hunt
5) Boycott HL2 Episode 2
6) Contact all the publishers that sign up to Steam with protest
7) Keep the negative PR rolling (making sure to name Thomas every time )
8) Send faked emails from Thomas @ valve to various game publications, game publishers and cybercafes. (Let Thomas do the explaining )

Im sure there are other ways to teach Valve a lesson.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 03:27.

Apr 21, 2007, 12:13
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 12:13
Apr 21, 2007, 12:13

"May" is a presumption on your part. the fact that he has this information and is using it for extortion makes it a felony.

News flash: Your credit card information is retained far more often and in far many more places than you even know; chosing to be ignorant of something does not make what you believe to be true true.

You obviously lead a very simple life, or are incredibly naive of how easy it is to rotate and or recover from identity theft while maintaining a credit score of over 700; and as such, arguing with you would be pointless.

As I said, I have no problem with someone taking up issue with a company and voting with their business or lack thereof. I have no issue with someone taking legal action against a company if they feel they have been wronged. But breaking into a server and stealing MY information, or the information of others, and threatening to use it in a way that threatens our rights-I've got a problem with that. It's vigalanteism at best, and terrorism at worst.

This guy is no hero. He's an ass that lacked the appropriate amount of guidance and discipline, just like that kid at VT earlier this week.

Like I said, I have no issue with your anger and malice toward Valve. That's you and your experience. I DO take issue with your apparent advocacy of the use of vigilanteism, arson, larceny, and extortion to vindicate your anger.

~n~

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 12:16.
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Apr 21, 2007, 12:04
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 12:04
Apr 21, 2007, 12:04

The real kicker here for laughs is Valve WANT OUR HELP, the very same Valve that treated us (THEIR CUSTOMERS) like shit and now they have the balls to ask for our help?

I DONT THINK SO.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 12:13.

Apr 21, 2007, 11:56
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 11:56
Apr 21, 2007, 11:56

"may", he is dangling that for them as a hoop to jump through and for "drama" and publicity.

Credit card numbers I change regularly and I'm careful where I maintain my information. We actually have laws here that state a company MUST remove any details about me on any computer system at my request. Im not stupid enough to have my details laying around and on every order I always request that no information is stored for every order I place on line.

As for the CyberCafe's, well those cybercafes can shop elsewhere and change their bank details, no big deal with no interruption to business also there is "insurance" that EVERY financial institute MUST have BY LAW.

I hope those cybercafe's dump Steam.

Im cheering the negative publicity that Valve is getting because THEY ASKED FOR IT.

I also recommend people contact Catch A Thief email alias at Valve. Give them some NOISE (perhaps some false info for that wild goose chase effect to tie them up )

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 12:02.

Apr 21, 2007, 11:51
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 11:51
Apr 21, 2007, 11:51

SO you're cheering on a thief that may post your name and unencrypted credit card number on the web, just because you're mad that you can't play a few games on Steam anymore?

Good lord, are you even thinking about what you are saying? Hey, I think Microsoft sucks, but if a hacker broke into MSN and did what this ass is doing, I'd be first in line to tie him to four cars heading to the four winds.

Apr 21, 2007, 11:45
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 11:45
Apr 21, 2007, 11:45

Newsflash, WE ARE THEIR CUSTOMERS TOO.

Advocating illegal activity? Why not? Its good enough for the President of America and Valve themselves, so why cant I?

Why should YOU be sorry? Its not YOUR fault Valve are a bunch of anal retentives that treat customers like shit.

Read my post below yours, I am recommending people increase Valve's support costs and contacting their big customers (publishers etc) and a boycott of HL2 Episode 2, DRM and PRICING investigation and regulation.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 12:09.

Apr 21, 2007, 11:36
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 11:36
Apr 21, 2007, 11:36

"I have had problems dealing with Valve's team and they DESERVE this."

Wow.

How grossly irresponsible.

Because of your bad experience with Valve, you're advocating the illegal activity of a hacker that is basically extorting Valve with the threat to release information that won't actually hurt Valve, but rather hurt thousands of law-abiding credit-card holders.

Personally, I'd like to see maddoxx tied to a trailer hitch, dragged through the Bayou, and dropped in the swamp somewhere (something that I'm sure happens with frequency down there), not because he "Haxored onto Valve", but because he is screwing with people's lives. You do not know hell until you've been a victim of identity theft. And trust me, it takes YEARS to clear up. I still have to deal with occasional crumbs from it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Valve. I know I'd be bitter if I had an experience like that with any company. But wishing them ill in a way that hurts their customers, rather than them, well, like I said..."Irresponsible."

~n~
This comment was edited on Apr 21, 11:40.

Apr 21, 2007, 04:20
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 04:20
Apr 21, 2007, 04:20

Actually I was "denied access to what I PAID FOR, and prevented from giving them more MONEY" for swearing, here is the email...

You provide no personal privicy and protection on Steam [Incident: 070331-000279]

Subject
You provide no personal privicy and protection on Steam

Discussion Thread
Response (Thomas) 04/03/2007 12:29 PM
Hello,

Please do not use profanity when contacting Steam Support.

Your Steam account has been temporarily disabled and will not be reactivated until we receive an apology for the content of your message.
After recieving the apology, I will be happy to look into the issue you are experiencing.
Auto-Response 03/31/2007

I have appologised as asked but still no access.

They are a bunch of liars, I jumped through his hoop and he did not follow up and reenable my account as he promised.

Thomas is a fucking liar. He has lost his credability in my book.

Now its his turn to jump through my hoop.

Now, I am a firm believer in online deployment, I had high hopes for Steam, but my experience clearly says we need regulation and STANDARDISATION so this kind of "abuse" of power does not happen.

Good on Maddoxx for taking on Steam, this is what happens when comapnies do not listen to customers and PISS THEM OFF.

Where it hurts Valve. Cybercafe revenue, HL2 Epp 2 sales, THEIR REAL CUSTOMERS. The publishers that sign Steam agreements. I suggest emailing them and furthering the negative PR to them. I also suggest everybody raises their Support costs by opening support tickets regularly for trivial issues. They have to read every one and that time is their money Make it difficult to read and confusing as they will spend more time trying to understand it

I was actually doing Valve a good turn by suggesting feature improvements, ofcourse I swore because I was mad at some fucking freak stalker that was annoying the fuck out of me.

I no longer suggest features for Steam, let them think for themselves. He cut off a hand that feeds him in not just money but also in GOOD PR. Now that is turned NEGATIVE PR from me.

I have the monay, he wants it, I hold it.

If Valve want Steam to play in Europe, he has a lot of laws to go through. Just look at Apple with iTunes in Europe.

This is one way we can get Valve to wise up. Have them investigated for PRICING and DRM REGULATION.

So, currently its a stand off. I am unable to GIVE VALVE MONEY as my account is disabled. Great move for a BUSINESS that exists for the only purpose of GETTING MY MONEY.

PS: Please somebody blow up or set fire to the building that houses their servers, perhaps their office (empty ofcourse:) ) Thanks

PS2: If this company ever gets listed, Im going to take it over and fire Thomas and at every shareeholder vote I shall bring it up EVERY TIME. You have been warned

PS3: Europe is a group of governments, and they are 1) very powerful and 2) consumer laws are very comprehensive and 3) very powerful 4) the industry has proven time and time again it cannot be trusted with self regulation

PS4: If anybody with botnet access wishes to take on Valve, I will happly place a few "Unpatched" machines on the internet

PS5: I shall break out my "medical" dictionary for every suport ticket I write in future, not profanity

PS6: Fuck Valve and Gabby boy, Im off to watch a good movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 09:12.

Apr 21, 2007, 00:27
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 21, 2007, 00:27
Apr 21, 2007, 00:27

People on the internet don't lie, EVER!
I see you haven't lost your penchant for ridiculous hyperbole. It's too bad it's more pathetic than humorous. But, even though you don't deserve a legitimate response from me, I'll give you one anyway in the hope that some good sense might rub off on you.

Given that prior to his posts in this thread mOOzilla sung the praises of Steam in almost every damn post he made on this forum (including in threads that weren't even remotely about Steam), I seriously doubt he is lying here. Plus, it's not as if the poor treatment he received at the hands of Valve is unprecedented. The perils and tenuous nature of Steam are obvious just by reading the Steam subscriber agreement, and of course Valve's customer service is notoriously inattentive and unaccomodating. Hell, the company is so cheap and aloof that it doesn't even have a telephone number for customers to contact it. It's easier to ignore customers and refuse their requests when you don't actually have to listen to customers complain. So, it certainly doesn't surprise me that mOOzilla got burned. It could happen to any Steam customer at any time as Valve essentially guarantees in the Steam subscriber agreement where it states "VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S)." The only guarantee for Steam customers is that there is no guarantee that they will be able to play the games for which they paid their hard-earned money.

It's too bad mOOzilla had to actually get burned before he realized that fire is hot. Then again, it's not as if I never warned him.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 00:47.

Apr 20, 2007, 22:50
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 20, 2007, 22:50
Apr 20, 2007, 22:50

LOL! Yes, Valve can do no wrong, so obviously mOOzilla is lying.

LOL! People on the internet don't lie, EVER!

Apr 20, 2007, 19:58
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 20, 2007, 19:58
Apr 20, 2007, 19:58

What we need is a government regulated DRM if we must have DRM and regulation on delivery and pricing.

Yes, because if there's one organization on the planet to trust - it's the government.

Apr 20, 2007, 19:50
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 20, 2007, 19:50
Apr 20, 2007, 19:50

Would be interesting to hear the actual truth behind the story.
LOL! Yes, Valve can do no wrong, so obviously mOOzilla is lying.

Re: Dejavu
Apr 20, 2007, 19:40
Re: Dejavu Apr 20, 2007, 19:40
Apr 20, 2007, 19:40

What the hell is up with Valve?
It's simple. Valve simply doesn't want to spend enough time and money to properly service and protect its customers. And, so long as enough of those customers are apologists and sycophants like Dagok, the company can get away with it.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 19:50.

Dejavu
Apr 20, 2007, 17:26
Kxmode

Dejavu Apr 20, 2007, 17:26
Apr 20, 2007, 17:26
 Kxmode

So lightning does strike twice in the same spot. What the hell is up with Valve?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 20, 2007, 16:55
Re: GREAT NEWS that valve got pwned Apr 20, 2007, 16:55
Apr 20, 2007, 16:55

Hah I highly doubt they banned your account for swearing in a support ticket. Would be interesting to hear the actual truth behind the story.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Day of Defeat Source.
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older