Neverwinter Nights 2 Expand

Atari Announces Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer reveals a new expansion for the RPG sequel in the works at Obsidian Entertainment (thanks Gamer's Hell). Word is:
NEW YORK, April 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR - News), one of the world's most recognized brands and a third-party video game publisher, today announced the development of the next chapter in the Neverwinter Nights saga -- Neverwinter Nights(TM) 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the expansion to the award-winning Neverwinter Nights 2 is set in the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® Forgotten Realms® universe created by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS - News). DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is under license from HPG, the licensing division of Hasbro. Neverwinter Nights(TM) 2: Mask of the Betrayer will be available in North America in Fall 2007.

In Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, players are transported back to the Forgotten Realms shortly after the events detailed in the original Neverwinter Nights 2. Following the climactic battle against the King of Shadows, the player awakens alone and stranded deep beneath the earth. Surrounded by a horde of evil spirits, the player embarks on an epic adventure that reveals his true destiny.

"Atari's commitment to the Neverwinter Nights franchise and the enormous community is strong," said Nique Fajors, Vice President, Sales, Marketing, Atari, Inc. "We are on track to release the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack this Fall, less than one year since the launch of Obsidian's outstanding sequel, and are confident the new features will deliver a role-playing experience that further engages and satisfies fans."

Set in harsh, spirit-rich Rashemen, near the powerful nation of Thay, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer will present players with an exciting new campaign; epic levels; dozens of new feats and spells; new races, base classes and prestige classes; new companions; new weapons, armor and crafting options; hordes of new monsters; and enhanced modding tools.

"Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer's engrossing campaign will conclude the storyline that began in the original Neverwinter Nights 2 and focus on combat, exploration and classic D&D dungeon-crawling," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment. "We're also making new advances in story and character development as well as improving upon the acclaimed companion Influence System used in both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2."
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
May 3, 2007, 10:11
No subject May 3, 2007, 10:11
May 3, 2007, 10:11

I really really tried to like NW2. I didnt have the performance issues that some were having so that was never a problem. The real-timey team-based combat, lazy AI routines, and fiddly overhead camera made the combat either 1. dull or 2. annoying. Patches didnt help. Its a shame -- the game certainly had potential.

No subject
Apr 13, 2007, 16:59
No subject Apr 13, 2007, 16:59
Apr 13, 2007, 16:59

Oooh, ooh, are we going to get more of that same crappy "dev" voice over that we got at the end of NWN 2? I mean, seriously, did they have to have the janitor read the ending dialog script??? Couldn't they have hired voice talent for the ending.

Needs good art
Apr 13, 2007, 02:35
Needs good art Apr 13, 2007, 02:35
Apr 13, 2007, 02:35

Plz make the game look like Forgotten Realms Demonstone :-D
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Re: Oh, come on.
Apr 12, 2007, 19:59
Re: Oh, come on. Apr 12, 2007, 19:59
Apr 12, 2007, 19:59

Missing ending? Hell I want that and the missing Droid Planet from KOTOR 2.

Obsidian might have fine talented people from other companies etc, but at the end of the day it's what THEY create under the OBISIDIAN NAME!

And so far they have 2 strikes against them. And from everything I have read/heard from people about NWN 2 is the AI sucks ass.

Now reading the paragraph, they are gonna use the broken influence system from KOTOR 2? Hell the biggest problem with that is that with certain characters you have to be at the right spot (in a map) at the right time in the story, and only then (if it wasn't bugged) you got a shot at making everyone in your party Jedi's.

I'd rather play Fallout
Apr 12, 2007, 19:09
I'd rather play Fallout Apr 12, 2007, 19:09
Apr 12, 2007, 19:09

dozens of new feats and spells; new races, base classes and prestige classes

That's actually something I didn't want.

I don't want to be some quasi-Human, purple-skinned, glowing-eyed, Orc-Elf-Demigod who arrived on Earth inside a meteor (which is actually a remnant of the body of Xenu), Dragonslayer-Gunsliging Ninja-Juggler in the secret guild of the Burning Moon that gives me telekinetic toilet flushing powers once a day that I won't actually use for anything meaningful in the game.

Can I make this any more clear?

Re: Oh, come on.
Apr 12, 2007, 18:50
Re: Oh, come on. Apr 12, 2007, 18:50
Apr 12, 2007, 18:50

Maybe they'll add the missing ending for KOTOR II as a bonus.

Oh, come on.
Apr 12, 2007, 18:31
Oh, come on. Apr 12, 2007, 18:31
Apr 12, 2007, 18:31

You guys cant actually be serious?
Please name a completed, bug free RPG done in 18 months to 2 years, hell it can even be linear.

Really, I want to see, play and enjoy this game.

Nobody is claming Obsidian is perfect, but they are one of the few, very experiened RPG companies making games, atm.

They come for BG, IWD, Fallout, Ultima and many others we are talking some of the heavyweight's in the industry and some of you guys think that shitty assed ending was the best they could do, or that they would ship it in that state if they had a choice?
Come on.

I am maybe the most incompetant speller and grammarist on this board and if I can come up with a better ending in 5 minutes, then somethings not right.

Edit
If you really wnat to know what all this stems from, it's m$'s fault, they started pushing these shitty 1.5 to 2 year development cycles to get titles for the shitbox to be able to compete with sony.
EA and others were more than happy to come alone for the ride, forcing 12 hours and mroe work days without compensation.
We all know the story here most of us have been playing games for 10 plus years, there is no way we couldnt know, hell Blue's site is and has been one of the most if not the most informitive sites on the net.
Well ok there's a couple of p0rn sites that have some great articles, but still.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.
This comment was edited on Apr 12, 18:36.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Re: Here's hoping
Apr 12, 2007, 18:25
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 18:25
Apr 12, 2007, 18:25

AMEN NIN!

Actually I didn't pick up NWN 2 as part of my KOTOR 2 protest and I see that in the end it was the right choice.

But what kills me is they are now doing an expansion?!?

Obsidian is just like Taldren. Everyone blamed the publisher Interplay after 2 games, then a 3rd game by Activision and it was a bug ridden mess as well.

I guess I should be happy that their next project isn't KOTOR 3.

Re: Uh oh,
Apr 12, 2007, 16:55
Re: Uh oh, Apr 12, 2007, 16:55
Apr 12, 2007, 16:55

If FO3 is anything like any other RPG Bethsoft has made it's going to suck balls in everyway imaginable. *sigh*

1. We really don't have a clue about the resources need and are just guessing. Since our own intellectual properties are not done yet (behind schedule) we will fund operations by low balling the bid on Publisher X.
2. We need the money from Publisher X and if we turn out a unfinished product, we will blame X for forcing us. Nevermind other Game Developer corporations and even individual programmers who at least owned up responsiblity for their game and kept supporting it till it was debugged/finalized.

And for the record, Vultureman is correct. It's the developer who goes to the publisher and says 'We can do the game in X amount of time for X amount of dollars.' So, most of the time when you have games pushed out the door that are obviously unfinished it is NOT the publishers fault.

"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenery sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
- Martin Q. Blank
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 12, 2007, 16:45
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 16:45
Apr 12, 2007, 16:45

@Parallax. I've been in the industry for 9 years and have been a designer and producer on several projects, both for PC and console. That's all I'll say, though.

Re: Uh oh,
Apr 12, 2007, 15:52
nin
Re: Uh oh, Apr 12, 2007, 15:52
Apr 12, 2007, 15:52
nin

Does all this mean that Fallout 3 will suck out loud?

Bethesda's doing that one, I believe. Which means they'll be bugs from day one that will never ever be fixed*, but hey, they'll be happy to sell you expansions for it.

*(unless the community fixes it for them)

-----------------------------------------------------
Listen, now: http://yearzero.nin-thespiral.com/FLJoi4gjw2f/player.html

Apr 12, 2007, 15:50
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 15:50
Apr 12, 2007, 15:50

Parallax, my point is that Obsidian has to take equal blame for pushing out buggy and incomplete products. Obsidian has a problem with over-designing their projects and, when ship time starts looming over their heads, they slash and cut to push the game out the door at the same time implementing feature creep. Look at any of their past games and you'll see that the games start off well, but end poorly - KOTOR2, NWN2, and even back in the BIS days - IWD2 and Fallout 2.

I don't disagree except I liked Icewind Dale 2. Don't get me wrong, though I appear to be defending Obsidian, I don't consider them above reproach and I'm not defending them just because they are who they are. I think they have gotten an unfair rap for KoTOR 2 and NWN2 coming out as they did is all. If this was someone with a different pedigree, I would take the same position based on what I know of the circumstances. I don't believe they did overreach in these cases because in the case of KoTOR 2, LucasArts cut their timeline short with very little notice in order to ship at Christmas and in the case of NWN2, it's Atari doing what Atari does. Contrary to what venomhed says, I don't use the reason that Atari is almost out of business as an excuse for them pushing stuff out early. Quite the opposite, them doing that is largely what's put them where they are. That being said, Obsidian did know who they were going into business with and I'm sure they could have seen something like this happening. My belief is that if Obsidian is able to partner with a good publisher who is not going to pull stupid nonsense on them that gets their projects cut short (Sega could be that but I'm not counting on it), they'll put out an amazing polished game. If they ever land such a publisher and don't deliver, I'll admit I was wrong about them and will thrash them right along with everyone else.

And running a site that talks about XBox live issues is hardly a diploma for industry expertise. Get serious, here.

Nowhere did I claim that running that site makes me an expert so please stop putting words in my mouth. I also didn't claim to be an industry expert, you made the claim for me. I follow the business side of the gaming industry as a hobby. I read quarterly reports, listen to conference calls, following the industry business news sites and I have friends who have been in the industry. I spoke on this subject as I did because people I know have had to work on a contract basis as Obsidian did with Atari and they are the ones who told me why the publisher completely dictates project flow in those situations. Can I ask what background in the industry you have?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Apr 12, 15:53.
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Uh oh,
Apr 12, 2007, 15:44
Uh oh, Apr 12, 2007, 15:44
Apr 12, 2007, 15:44

Does all this mean that Fallout 3 will suck out loud?

Re: No subject
Apr 12, 2007, 15:00
Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 15:00
Apr 12, 2007, 15:00

Obsidian says, "Hellz ya! But we're gonna do something about this whole storyline thing... lighten up that load... make more trap ridden dungeons. Get longer playtimes out of everybody who doesn't have a thief along."

Uh, isn't that how NWN1 was too? I definitely remember many key areas that were simply not passable unless you brought the Rogue henchman along.

And running a site that talks about XBox live issues is hardly a diploma for industry expertise. Get serious, here.

That's not why he mentioned it. He mentioned it because you thought he ran a "gaming blog", and he corrected you. That's all it was. He hasn't even mentioned what industry experience (or lack thereof) he has, so right now you can't make any judgments on that. Reading comprehension, anyone?

If they want to make big-budget titles like NWN2 they have to play by the publisher's rules, because they're the ones with the money, relatively speaking. If they want full creative control, they'll have to get used to signing piddly deals with tiny publishers with practically no marketing capability.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 15:11.

Apr 12, 2007, 14:54
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 14:54
Apr 12, 2007, 14:54

Parallax, my point is that Obsidian has to take equal blame for pushing out buggy and incomplete products. Obsidian has a problem with over-designing their projects and, when ship time starts looming over their heads, they slash and cut to push the game out the door at the same time implementing feature creep. Look at any of their past games and you'll see that the games start off well, but end poorly - KOTOR2, NWN2, and even back in the BIS days - IWD2 and Fallout 2. Once Obsidian figures out how to balance what they can actually do within a given time frame and what they can deliver, we'll see an improvement in the games they make. They need to step back and look at themselves. They are indeed very talented, but they also have to step back and look reality in the face.

Industry defenders
Apr 12, 2007, 14:45
Industry defenders Apr 12, 2007, 14:45
Apr 12, 2007, 14:45

I bought this game day one and was so turned off by the bugs, bugs that are apparently still present.

And here, so many assholes are blindly defending companies. "oh they are running out of money" and all that bullshit.

Nice to see that Atari and the like are hard at work squashing the bugs.. OH wait, they are hard at work putting out an expansion. One that should be free to all of us suckers that bought this blindly, sight unseen, and became BETA testers for the company.

How anyone could defend the bugs in this game is beyond me. Sure, a crash here and there, an incompatibility. But functionality? Camera problems?

Please. This is a classic example of why people are skeptical, question companies and their motive$.

$$$$$$ rules them all.

Apr 12, 2007, 14:42
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 14:42
Apr 12, 2007, 14:42

You're funny, Parallax. Here you are saying I don't know anything about the industry when you actually know nothing about me. What, you run a gaming blogsite or something and all-of-a-sudden you're an industry expert? Please, get over yourself. For all you know, I am in the industry and I deal with this kind of crap every day.

If you worked in the industry, I don't think you would have made the claims you did. Maybe, but I doubt it. Also, you obviously don't know anything about me or didn't bother to spend five minutes checking because I don't run a gaming blog site. I run a site that talks about a particular issue with Xbox Live Marketplace, not a general gaming blog. That you're also using the fanboi term just because I don't agree with you also demonstrates that you probably don't work in the industry.

Also, if you're running a game developer that needs work, see how much freedom you have when choosing what contracts to sign. I've no doubt that Obsidian was given certain terms by Atari in terms of budget and development timeline that they were happy with. What you don't understand is that these contracts give literally all power to the publisher. I guarantee you Atari was free to cut their budget or timeframe to whatever they wanted and that's probably what happened. Atari is near bankruptcy and needs to get their big-name titles out the door and making money in a hurry. That's not an excuse for pushing the game out early but is probably why they did. It's not Obsidian's choice to say "This isn't done yet and we're not releasing it." They either fulfill their obligations or Atari sues them and they go out of business. Look, I'm not going to spend more time convincing you because you're convinced I'm just a fanboi because I dared to question you. But if you're truly interested in realizing how this probably happened, do a little bit of research and I think you'll find out that most of what I said here is true. I'm not saying Obsidian's perfect or free of blame here. But Atari's track record of many more titles speaks for itself.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Re: No subject
Apr 12, 2007, 14:41
Re: No subject Apr 12, 2007, 14:41
Apr 12, 2007, 14:41

Got this game for Xmas, made it as far as neverwinter and havent touched the game since.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Apr 12, 2007, 14:36
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 14:36
Apr 12, 2007, 14:36

So how many passes does Obsidian get, before they're responsible for the work they produce?

If they can get involved with a publisher that doesn't suck, mark my words this kind of thing won't happen. For crying out loud, does anyone here not remember some of the other titles that Atari has pushed out in a garbage state? I also find it funny how many others developers put out crap titles and get a pass but everyone seems ready to burn Obsidian at the stake. There are plenty of developers who self-funded their projects and put out crap (Brothers In Arms anyone?) and they should be blamed for those. But this was a game Obsidian did on contract for someone else. The industry doesn't work the "every game comes out when it's completely polished" way everyone wants it to. There are a lot of crappy publishers out there (like Atari) that only care about a game being done enough to sell. And once you understand the position those developing these titles FOR them are in, you might not be so quick to just throw blame at the name you know rather than look at where it should be rightfully directed.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Apr 12, 2007, 14:34
Re: Here's hoping Apr 12, 2007, 14:34
Apr 12, 2007, 14:34

You're funny, Parallax. Here you are saying I don't know anything about the industry when you actually know nothing about me. What, you run a gaming blogsite or something and all-of-a-sudden you're an industry expert? Please, get over yourself. For all you know, I am in the industry and I deal with this kind of crap every day.

It always amuses me when fanbois defend their beloved developer and curse the publishers as the ultimate evil. Guess what - no one forced Obsidian to sign the dev contract, they agreed to Atari's terms of development. THAT'S how the industry works. Don't like the terms, don't sign the development contract and, especially, don't make promises you can't keep.

And no, I don't work for Atari or any of their contracted devs.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older