C&C3 Status Report

The Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Website has a status report on the RTS sequel from producer Mike Verdu that addresses multiplayer issues and what's being done to address them (thanks FiringSquad). Word is:
While I’m delighted that people are having a blast with the single player campaign and skirmish modes of the game, I’m disappointed that we’ve had some teething problems with the online multiplayer. Most of our customers are able to play on-line, but I know that a number of you are having trouble - and I owe you an apology. Some of you can’t connect to C&C Online and others are having issues once on-line. This is unacceptable, especially for a product that we designed for competitive multiplayer game play. I am sorry that you are encountering problems and I want you to know that the development team is working very hard to understand the issues, fix the bugs that affect the largest numbers of people, and roll out patches as quickly as possible.

We have issued one patch already and we have two more in the works. I believe we have a bead on the issues that affect the most people and I expect that we will solve these problems in a matter of days.

Just to be clear: Not everyone is having problems playing on-line… the majority of people are able to get online, play games, and a have a great time. For those that are having problems, please bear with us. We will fix these issues and make C&C the great online multiplayer game it was designed to be – and we ask for your patience as we work through the issues.

In the mean time, as we work to improve the multiplayer experience for those who are affected, we do celebrate the fun that people are having with the single player campaigns and skirmish – and the tens of thousands of multiplayer games that are being played successfully by those who are able to play on-line.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Apr 3, 2007, 05:54
... Apr 3, 2007, 05:54
Apr 3, 2007, 05:54

You were reduced to nothing but uttering vulgarities by the forth sentence of your reply. Reasonable, indeed.
I gave up being reasonable when you started talking shit. It got your attention, so it worked. You can't say a skyscraper is no more complex than a mud hut just because there were three models built before it. It's more complex. Your arguement is actually that experience with the engine should have meant that there were less bugs - a COMPLETELY different point. It is you that were the idiot and I was happy to point that out.

These types of bugs and problems shouldn't exist in a shipping game.
I agree. But I accept that they often do happen and if a developer attempts to correct the problems as quickly as possible then I will wait to see the outcome of that process - I will not question te quality of their QA, something which cannot be verified and is mere speculation. Their QA could be shit or it could be world leading - the bugs present don't prove it is one or the other.

While C&C3 is 3D (and thus way more advanced), the argument that it doesn't really innovate is valid.
Indeed. I don't dispute that.

That being said, the grandparent was also stating that this wasn't EA's first attempt at a C&C game (let alone an RTS). so you'd think they'd have a smooter release from their previous code framework and experience.
Yes, but the actual game itself appears to work fine. The problems come down to online play and only affect a minority of people. They are also being fixed as a priority. It's not possible to test online play in any large scale, short of releasing open betas (which have considerable disadvantage, as well as advantages).

All I'm saying is that yes, the game has bugs. However, being multiplayer related they couldn't be tested before release and therefore I will accept that EA is pushing ahead, have already released patches to address problems and now working on others. If the problems remain or EA only produces half-baked fixes then I will criticise them as loudly as everyone else.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

No subject
Apr 2, 2007, 09:31
No subject Apr 2, 2007, 09:31
Apr 2, 2007, 09:31

Just want to point out that, being in the QA process for a number of years. Yes its true that they should have caught the majority of these bugs before release. But if the bugs involve hundreds of thousands of online multiplayer component, its just very difficult to test that. You just can't simulate that many connections. Thats what open beta tests are for, and I suppose thats what they should have done. But aside from that, CnC is pretty solid for me. I haven't had much trouble online (although I witnessed at some point the servers were down on Sun). Not crippling bugs, and the game is just superbly fun.

Re: ...
Apr 2, 2007, 09:21
Re: ... Apr 2, 2007, 09:21
Apr 2, 2007, 09:21

WTF are you smoking? I'm all for bashing a company if they deserve it (and EA most certainly does a lot of the time) but what you are saying is just plain bollocks. C&C3, being 3D, is a fuck load more complex than C&C2, which was 2D. Fucktard. Yup, that sums it up. Fucktard.

While C&C3 is 3D (and thus way more advanced), the argument that it doesn't really innovate is valid. There's nothing particularly different from the past C&C games in terms of gameplay or features that make it a different game.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing... if it's not broken then don't fix it. C&C3 is heller fun and it plays like the classic C&C games which is exactly what I was looking for. But the grandparent is right, as far as I can tell it doesn't innovate much from previous versions.

That being said, the grandparent was also stating that this wasn't EA's first attempt at a C&C game (let alone an RTS). so you'd think they'd have a smooter release from their previous code framework and experience.

I don't mind. I'm a programmer and bugs at release are a common thing, plus with a couple of minor expections I haven't really felt any ill effects from any bugs.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Apr 2, 09:22.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Apr 1, 2007, 21:54
Re: ... Apr 1, 2007, 21:54
Apr 1, 2007, 21:54

> ...Fucktard. Yup, that sums it up. Fucktard. ...
> I (being a reasonable person)...

You were reduced to nothing but uttering vulgarities by the forth sentence of your reply. Reasonable, indeed.

>>C&C3, being 3D, is a fuck load more complex than C&C2, which was 2D.

Let's talk about that new fangled 3D thing you think first showed in an EA RTS with C&C3. Perhaps you've overlooked the other RTSs that EA built in 3D on the RTS engine code base they got from Westwood...the same core technology they used in C&C3. Why don't those account for anything in your worldview? There is absolutely nothing about C&C3 that pushed the bounds of new technology. It's built on a codebase that has been used in every EA/Westwood RTS going back to Dune 2000 on the Commodore Amiga in the early '90s.

I'm in no way bashing EA's decision to use that code. It's a smart business decision to reuse tech that has been invested in and refined. It's not reasonable to give that business a pass on rampant bugs that they introduced into a game built on technological pedigree that seemed to be doing pretty well before. The other EA RTSs that were in 3D, C&C Generals and the myriad LoTR RTSs among others, didn't have these problems.

It wouldn't matter to me if it was EA, UBI, Eidos, MS, or etc... These types of bugs and problems shouldn't exist in a shipping game. Especially in a game that has as much development and refinement behind its core technologies as C&C3 does.

v1.03 is out.
Apr 1, 2007, 20:22
Ant

v1.03 is out. Apr 1, 2007, 20:22
Apr 1, 2007, 20:22
 Ant

Apr 1, 2007, 16:57
... Apr 1, 2007, 16:57
Apr 1, 2007, 16:57

C&C3 is no more complex than C&C2, it doesn't really innovate anywhere, and it's built on known code.
WTF are you smoking? I'm all for bashing a company if they deserve it (and EA most certainly does a lot of the time) but what you are saying is just plain bollocks. C&C3, being 3D, is a fuck load more complex than C&C2, which was 2D. Fucktard. Yup, that sums it up. Fucktard.

That they've issued one patch already and have *TWO* more in the works (what, they can't fix everything in the next patch?) shows that they have no valid QA process.
It shows nothing of the sort. It shows that they are trying to address the problems with the games. It COULD indicate what you suggest, I (being a reasonable person) accept that, but at the same time they could have been issues not possible to discover through small scale testing; issues that could only be exposed through release - in which case them addressing the problems, rather than ignoring them, is the best thing that they could have done.

Games have bugs - they are very complex and PC games have to run on a multitude of different systems that cannot all be simulated. However, you are simply using this as an excuse to bash EA - you would have done so whatever the outcome. All I can say is that I'm glad they are addressing the problems - that is all I ask of any developer. Only if a game is basically unplayable and fundamentally flawed with I criticise a developer even if they attempt to patch it - however, when talking about the online component to a newly release AAA-title (in terms of appeal) I am willing to give them a bit of time to address problems that simply aren't reasonable to predict. If the game turns up more bugs and the issues aren't addressed then I will be happy to criticise EA and be vocal in my opinion.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

Rush to market = no ROI
Apr 1, 2007, 15:29
Kxmode

Rush to market = no ROI Apr 1, 2007, 15:29
Apr 1, 2007, 15:29
 Kxmode

Let this be a lesson to all game publishers. You rush the developers to push out an unfinished product to the market. I’m sure the game may sell a lot of units but the next time gamers aren't going to be so inclined to buy your product because of experiences such as this. It behooves companies to make sure they release their products in top-notch condition or else they're going to see their profits dwindle.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 1, 2007, 15:07
Re: ... Apr 1, 2007, 15:07
Apr 1, 2007, 15:07

LOL do you people play any of these games you bash? Hahaha You bash everything!:)You talk about how the suits do this and the devs do this.You know crap when it comes to making a game. Does playing a game make you an expert witness these days? Have you looked at the data, crunched the numbers and know the network code? Have you looked at the cost of having a team work a few months longer on a title that not many will buy?(lose half of to pirates) OK I feel better, now go support your favorite game developer! I do agree with the Gamespy statement though:)

"You know I am right!"

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 15:11.
o0

Apr 1, 2007, 10:45
Re: ... Apr 1, 2007, 10:45
Apr 1, 2007, 10:45

Do you want them to release multiple patches to fix stuff as soon as the fixes are developed, or wait until they have ALL the fixes and release one behemoth patch?
Of course, provided they have a decent auto-update feature then it's best to do it as quickly as possible. Nobody (as far as I can tell) is knocking how quickly they have responded to the issues. It's the existence of so many issues so early in the product's life that suggests that the game should have had a little more Q&A before release.

Of course, they can't plan for every event, yadda yadda.

Powere by gamespy
Apr 1, 2007, 10:33
Com
Powere by gamespy Apr 1, 2007, 10:33
Apr 1, 2007, 10:33
Com

Oh yeah, everyone has mentioned EA, but nobody's mentioning "Powered by gamespy"? If there was ever a death sentence for RTS games, this is it.

Apr 1, 2007, 10:32
Com
Re: ... Apr 1, 2007, 10:32
Apr 1, 2007, 10:32
Com

You people laughing at "one patch issued two in the works" seriously need to rethink what you're saying. Maybe they know the problems but don't have all the fixes yet. Do you want them to release multiple patches to fix stuff as soon as the fixes are developed, or wait until they have ALL the fixes and release one behemoth patch? The former is much better for the user, I congratulate them for doing this.

I've seen several great upstart RTS games get KILLED by devs stupidly delaying important fixes for months just to get all the other fixes into a single patch.

Apr 1, 2007, 09:53
Re: ... Apr 1, 2007, 09:53
Apr 1, 2007, 09:53

Huge game? Huge game?!

C&C3 is the third attempt they've had to get it right. It's built on a technology base that EA has used and refined in numerous other products. That they've issued one patch already and have *TWO* more in the works (what, they can't fix everything in the next patch?) shows that they have no valid QA process. Either that or they just didn't care. It has nothing to do with the size or complexity of the game. C&C3 is no more complex than C&C2, it doesn't really innovate anywhere, and it's built on known code. These types of bugs & problems are inexcusable.

Re: No subject
Apr 1, 2007, 06:51
Re: No subject Apr 1, 2007, 06:51
Apr 1, 2007, 06:51

You do realize that EA = developer + publisher of this game, right?
Yeah, but you do realise that the people who force these things out of the door before they're ready are the suits in the boardrooms and not the developers, right?

Mar 31, 2007, 23:33
Re: ... Mar 31, 2007, 23:33
Mar 31, 2007, 23:33

Hrm, I keep getting desynchronization errors during replays. Most annoying.

Mar 31, 2007, 19:42
nin

Re: ... Mar 31, 2007, 19:42
Mar 31, 2007, 19:42
 nin

at least they are being open about it and accepting the flak.

Exactly. You and Staunch hit it on the head...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/

Mar 31, 2007, 18:45
Re: No subject Mar 31, 2007, 18:45
Mar 31, 2007, 18:45

Dude. Go hump (haha get it? HUMP!) a leg.

A-HAW HAW HAW HAW! *slaps knee* well ain't that clever! Never heard that one before.....

You do realize that EA = developer + publisher of this game, right?

nope, completely forgot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Mar 31, 2007, 18:12
Re: No subject Mar 31, 2007, 18:12
Mar 31, 2007, 18:12

par for the course for EA. They insist on shipping it while the developers get to be the shit magnets.

Dude. Go hump (haha get it? HUMP!) a leg. You do realize that EA = developer + publisher of this game, right? Nice try though...

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

Mar 31, 2007, 16:53
Re: No subject Mar 31, 2007, 16:53
Mar 31, 2007, 16:53

Could anything less be expected from an EA product?

Yeah, they could be not acknowledging the problem and not trying to fix it...

No subject
Mar 31, 2007, 16:35
No subject Mar 31, 2007, 16:35
Mar 31, 2007, 16:35

par for the course for EA. They insist on shipping it while the developers get to be the shit magnets.

I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Mar 31, 2007, 16:34
... Mar 31, 2007, 16:34
Mar 31, 2007, 16:34

Well, as much as I dislike problems with games at least they are being open about it and accepting the flak. Despite being a PR move it is still an unusual step to make, to acknowledge that there are problems and that they are unacceptable. I understand that a huge game like C&C3 is likely to have teething problems due to the complexity of it all and don't live in a fantasy world where I expect everything to be perfect. Even Half-Life 2 had some problems during the first few days but they were quickly sorted out.

I dislike a lot of what EA does but I am willing to give them credit where they deserve it and so far C&C3 seems to fit that category.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older