Hardware Blogrolling

This week's Steam Marketing Message discusses their use of multi-core CPU machines and other high-end hardware in developing content, describing the advantages they provide. There's nothing about how this impacts the end-user.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Mar 27, 2007, 15:45
Re: No subject Mar 27, 2007, 15:45
Mar 27, 2007, 15:45

Ok, I'll give you the *technicality* on ID: it was ACTIVISION that actually posted: "Christmas 2003," then "Spring 2004", then OMG, got it right w/ "August, 2004"

My point is: People complain if you give them a Shitty date, and people complain if you give them no date.

Sick of seeing people bitch about release dates, then wonder why they get shitty product when (something like Splinter Cell Double Agent) ships on time, despite a total lack of testing and QA on the product.

Take a pill. Let them make the games that are worth the wait.

Gawd.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Mar 25, 2007, 21:12
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 21:12
Mar 25, 2007, 21:12

Thank you for insulting me for pointing out a fact
I insulted you for being unable to understand what I wrote in the context in which I wrote it.

Using steam then complaining about it does nothing
I do not use Steam on my own PC's, and I have never paid Valve for any game which required Steam on its release. Therefore, Valve has never profited from my rare use of Steam. If anything it has cost Valve money.

they still have your money.
Valve only got my money when it didn't require Steam. I have not paid Valve for any of its games since it started requiring Steam.

But having ideals means making sacrifices, so either put up and make some, or shut up.
Those are not the only two options. I am sacrificing by not playing the games I bought from Valve because it now requires me to use Steam to play them online. However, I am also complaining. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I can not believe people who continentally scream about their wonderful ideals, yet completely ignore them because they want something and are not willing to sacrifice.
Maybe you can't, but I am NOT one of those people.

And learn to understand many people like steam, that does not make them stupid.
No, it makes them either ignorant for not recognizing or acknowledging its fundamental problems or too weak-willed to refrain from supporting Valve because of them. Both make them worthy of my scorn though.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 23:19.

Mar 25, 2007, 20:26
Enahs

Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 20:26
Mar 25, 2007, 20:26
 Enahs

For you dorks that actually BELIEVE release dates: WAKE UP! Games NEVER ship on the first release date. Valve is HARDLY unique here. ID does it

Id does it? Are you high? ID does not set a release date until they are basically done with the game. They might say they are shooting for some month, but that is not a release date. The only early release dates that ID does not make are ones by retailers that put up arbitrary release dates based off of second hand information and inference.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Mar 25, 2007, 20:24
Enahs

Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 20:24
Mar 25, 2007, 20:24
 Enahs

Thank you for being a literalist, dumbass. I meant optional to play Valve's games.

Thank you for insulting me for pointing out a fact, I appreciate it.

If you do not like steam, do not support them by playing any game through steam. That is how you make your opinion heard, through their bank accounts. Using steam then complaining about it does nothing, they still have your money.

If you want to have all your wonderful ideals about 100% no DRM, fine. But having ideals means making sacrifices, so either put up and make some, or shut up. I can not believe people who continentally scream about their wonderful ideals, yet completely ignore them because they want something and are not willing to sacrifice. If you are not willing to sacrifice, then they are really not all that important to you.

And learn to understand many people like steam, that does not make them stupid.

I personally like some of the convinces of steam, but I dislike much about it. I in fact have not loaded it up any this year, because there has not been a game on there I can not play retail that I wanted to play. But whenever EP2 comes out, its steam time again.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):

- W. C. Fields

Mar 25, 2007, 13:41
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 13:41
Mar 25, 2007, 13:41

Thank you for being a literalist, dumbass. I meant optional to play Valve's games.

Me me me. I want their games in MY way!

Way to go, Red, stand up for the motherland!

Mar 25, 2007, 12:47
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 12:47
Mar 25, 2007, 12:47

for the record, I think it's far more important for a company to deliver WHAT it says it will, rather than WHEN.

Otherwise we end up with some POS port like Splinter Cell:Double agent that won't even run on a Core2 Quad with a GeForce 8800GTX under the hood and 60% of all the other hardware combos out there. That STILL pisses me off, as the damned store return policies never allow for "this POS doesn't work AT ALL!" returns.

For you dorks that actually BELIEVE release dates: WAKE UP! Games NEVER ship on the first release date. Valve is HARDLY unique here. ID does it, Crytek does it, Bungie does it,Ubi does it--- hell, Sony delayed their whole gaming system *8 MONTHS*. Anyone that's been in the industry or playing games for more than 4 months knows this.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Mar 25, 2007, 12:25
nin
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 12:25
Mar 25, 2007, 12:25
nin

This is hardly new behaviour, HL was late, HL2 was late, HL2:Ep1 was late. TF2 would have redefined lateness were it not for the farce that is DNF. So equally it should hardly be surprising.

As long as they continue to fuck up, I'll continue to call them on it.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/
This comment was edited on Mar 25, 12:29.

Mar 25, 2007, 12:03
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 12:03
Mar 25, 2007, 12:03

And I don't see why people defend a company that, time after time, doesn't deliver when it says it would.
Yeah except in all of those examples there are contractual obligations, or at least intentions to create them. You're expecting food, the restaurant is expecting you to pay. That's simply not comparable with this scenario, where essentially Valve are developing a product which, at some point in the future, you'll have the choice to buy (or rent, if you insist, Riley ;P)

Doug Lombardi, Valve's marketing director may have come out with when they thought they'd have the product ready, but in the event it's not going to be ready.

This is hardly new behaviour, HL was late, HL2 was late, HL2:Ep1 was late. TF2 would have redefined lateness were it not for the farce that is DNF. So equally it should hardly be surprising. Release dates are always a PR exercise, anyone who takes them seriously (especially from Valve) is a tard.

But anyone who starts a tantrum (and I'm not suggesting you) or gets angry with Valve is just wasting their time and their breath. It's not like there aren't any alternative games we could be playing. It's not like we've given a deposit.

It strikes me as funny that when each and every Harry Potter book since 3 has been delayed because Ms Rowling is polishing it and making it right, the kids were more accepting of their disappointment than some adult gamers seem to manage when a game they're really looking forward to is delayed for similar reasons.

Mar 25, 2007, 11:49
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 11:49
Mar 25, 2007, 11:49

Steam is optional. Playing games is optional. Playing the games that are only available on steam is optional.

Posting on this forum is also optional, and it's something you should refrain from doing.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 11:53.

Mar 25, 2007, 10:56
Enahs

Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 10:56
Mar 25, 2007, 10:56
 Enahs

If Steam were optional, I wouldn't be against it.
Steam is optional. Playing games is optional. Playing the games that are only available on steam is optional.

- W. C. Fields

Mar 25, 2007, 10:41
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 10:41
Mar 25, 2007, 10:41

Riley, who's apparently against freedom of allowing people to choose what they wish.
LOL! Actually it is Valve who refuses to let people choose. If Steam were optional, I wouldn't be against it.

INDOCTRINATE US, COMRADE!
Valve already has.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 10:46.

No subject
Mar 25, 2007, 10:08
No subject Mar 25, 2007, 10:08
Mar 25, 2007, 10:08

I CAN TELL YOU WHAT DOES IMPACT THE USER AND THAT IS STEAM. STEAM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MODERN DOWNFALL OF MAN. IF YOU LIKE IT YOU JUST ARE DRINKING THEIR GATORADE.

also cocks.

Since we all know this is going to degrade to the above in a matter of seconds, especially when we're dealing with people like good ol Red Riley, who's apparently against freedom of allowing people to choose what they wish. INDOCTRINATE US, COMRADE!

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 10:10.

Mar 25, 2007, 05:53
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 05:53
Mar 25, 2007, 05:53

At this point in time Valve really needs to pull a 3DRealms, stfu and finish the game.

Technically, that isn't a 3DRealms since they have yet to finish the game.

Mar 25, 2007, 05:40
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 05:40
Mar 25, 2007, 05:40

Actually wasn't it Valve who said during Half Life 2's development that the level designers etc actually made content on low end machines and if they were good they got to see it with all the bells and whistles later?

As for Valve and release dates... Anyone wanna guess what ATI spent on the Release Party at Alcatraz Island (which was even close to being done), or to have Half Life 2 ship with their video cards only to have to put a coupon in the box instead?

At this point in time Valve really needs to pull a 3DRealms, stfu and finish the game.

Mar 25, 2007, 05:03
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 05:03
Mar 25, 2007, 05:03

nin has a point however badly he puts that point across.

The article is a "look at me" boast of how big their hardware is. Does the size of hardware even matter? If builds take so long and need to spread across multiple machines, would getting bigger/better hardware mean game schedules are met closer than they are now - I doubt it!

Valve's reasoning behind episodes were to get products out faster and control cost. That's cool for them but as we've seen they've not managed to release anything nearly as quickly as they'd originally imagined. If it were bugs then perhaps they should be thinking of [better] peer reviews in the team. Bugs found early on are relatively easy to fix.

So what if no-one ever paid Valve upfront for something. If an expectation was set a customer would rightly expect the company to meet the expectation within a reasonable amount of time. Hey, every man and his dog takes the piss out of 3DRealms for Duke and they've had 'excuses' of changing engines twice!

It also raises the point why Valve felt the need to keep adding stuff to the engine when most people would have been very happy with let's say 3 episodes with the exact same engine but a continued story. These could have been knocked out much quicker than now whilst the engine was upgraded for Episode 4 (or whatever) onwards. Do Valve have the appropriate manpower in order to undertake the amount of concurrent projects they have? I doubt it!

It is this that causes the community to become disillusioned with Valve's marketing speak. Pointless stuff like "hey guys we're all running very fast machines" doesn't help either!

No subject
Mar 25, 2007, 04:02
No subject Mar 25, 2007, 04:02
Mar 25, 2007, 04:02

Well said.

Mar 25, 2007, 02:21
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 02:21
Mar 25, 2007, 02:21

But it does deliver WHAT it says it does.

Furthermore, game release dates are diferent in so many ways from what you mentioned: there is no contract, or even implied contract, between you and Valve regarding the release date. They say: "we think it'll be done by then...at least, that's what our PR department is shooting for"...now where do they promise you anything? Where do you see the part where they are obligated TO YOU to do said thing? What money's have you consigned to them, what contract have they signed?

Hell, Valve would love to hit their release dates, but they apparently have such love for their customers that they'd rather be late than ship a too buggy game. It's a good thing for a company to do. Your whining is what gets shit released too early. So fuck you for being part of the reason some great games got released when they weren't ready.

Mar 25, 2007, 00:23
nin
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 00:23
Mar 25, 2007, 00:23
nin

I just don't see how your style of bitching is any different than three year old throwing a tantrum becuase he "WANTS IT RIGHT NOW!!!"

And I don't see why people defend a company that, time after time, doesn't deliver when it says it would.

Just a puzzling day all around, isn't it?

edit: If you're told your car will be ready at 5, and when you get there, are told it'll be next week, do you say "It's done when it's done, even though the guy on the phone told me today."?

When you order food at a restaurant, and are told it'll be " a few minutes", and 45 minutes later it's not there, do you just sit quietly and wait?

When you're told you'll get paid twice a month at a new job, and payday rolls around and the boss says "Whoops, it'll be next week before I have the money", do you just shrug your shoulders?

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/
This comment was edited on Mar 25, 00:35.

Mar 25, 2007, 00:01
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2007, 00:01
Mar 25, 2007, 00:01

Hype has nothing to do with it. It was the idea that, by cutting the game into pieces, we'd have parts of it sooner, rather than later...

But as usual, Valve is fucking clueless when it comes to release dates...

I just don't see how your style of bitching is any different than three year old throwing a tantrum becuase he "WANTS IT RIGHT NOW!!!"

It's done when it's done, not when Valve's managers/publisher wants it to be.
I eat pasta!

Mar 24, 2007, 21:13
... Mar 24, 2007, 21:13
Mar 24, 2007, 21:13

Indeed. Valve has thoroughly failed when it comes to episodic content. Ep1 wasn't great and to leave it so long for the second part is just ridiculous. Even though I'm far more interested in TF2 they should not have delayed Ep2 for it, nor for this Portal sub-game.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older