Gold - Galactic Command: Echo Squad

This press release announces that Galactic Command: Echo Squad is gold, with 3000AD's foray into episodic gaming set to launch exclusively on GameTap in "late spring." Here's a bit from the release, which seems to have been caught in the space-time continuum since early February:
ATLANTA - February 7, 2007 - GameTap, the first-of-its-kind broadband entertainment network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc.), today announced the upcoming addition of Galactic Command – Echo Squad to its GameTap Originals publishing division. Inspired by the first generation of space combat games, Galactic Command – Echo Squad is a fast-paced episodic space shooter set in an expansive galaxy. With an evolving story line that is constantly changing, no two playing sessions are ever the same.

Working closely with independent game developer 3000AD Inc., GameTap will launch the first of four scheduled episodes in late spring exclusively to GameTap subscribers. Each of the four episodes is designed as a campaign with sixteen lengthy missions and unique conclusions, all of which provide hours of gripping gameplay. Beginning with Episode 1: Rise of the Insurgents, episodes will be released on a monthly basis.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Same Shit
Mar 22, 2007, 17:36
Re: Same Shit Mar 22, 2007, 17:36
Mar 22, 2007, 17:36

just post the first two things that spring to mind;

Hey alpo, the operative word was creative. The fact that you post shots which don't even look good, coupled with the fact that (a) they're assets from someone else's IP (b) assets being used on someone else's IP, indicates that you're either in denial or you don't fully grasp the essence of what I'm talking about.

Listen here. There isn't a single FS2 mod that is worth anything in the backend of a third world country, let alone in the mainstream. Heck even FS2, FAILED at retail, Sherlock. Which, in case you weren't paying attention, spelled the demise [thereafter] of Volition and of course Interplay.

Different day...

If GameTap prides itself on quality they would NOT carry anything from 3000AD.

Yeah, as if we'd expect any less from you. Don't you have someone's car to wash today?

Something never ceases to amaze me, but which I'm sure twits like you can't grasp because, well, common sense tends to be illusive when you're on a controlled substance. That being, we've thus far done, lemme check, thats right, NINE games. Spanning what? Eleven years?

Someone has to be looking at the numbers in order to sign and distribute our games.

Someone has to be BUYING those games for us to keep doing them and stay in business. Obviously that someone is someone like you. Which of course is fine. But just quit talking out of your a$$ as if your inconsequential opinion on a game you admitted to never having played means anything to anyone other than your time wasting and inconsequential ilk.

Do you even PLAY games? I didn't think so. Its just fun to hide away behind that monitor and act out your aggression by insulting other people at will. It must really be lonely there at the bottom.

You're there talking about games as if you know what a good game is or looks like. Yet, many - MANY - before me, have come and gone. And I'm damn sure that most of them actually did make good games.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Same Shit
Mar 22, 2007, 15:12
Kxmode

Same Shit Mar 22, 2007, 15:12
Mar 22, 2007, 15:12
 Kxmode

Different day...

If GameTap prides itself on quality they would NOT carry anything from 3000AD.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: It begins
Mar 22, 2007, 02:35
Re: It begins Mar 22, 2007, 02:35
Mar 22, 2007, 02:35

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'd be lying if I said that I was never tempted to grab Derek Smart's other games off of GameTap since it's so easy and I've been curious as to how bad they really are. Will be playing these for sure because of that curiosity.

Who knows, maybe they won't be all that bad! Stranger things happen. Particularly curious as to whether they'll hit the top games played.

These games are not bad and have not been bad for a long time. I dont care what the idiots on this and other forums post. they are flat out dishonest and wrong. The graphics are solid and the gameplay in deep, interesting, and unique. If you havve any sim/scifi in you at all and a little patience the games really pay off.
The Whales name is Bob.

Re: GameTap
Mar 22, 2007, 02:29
Re: GameTap Mar 22, 2007, 02:29
Mar 22, 2007, 02:29

As usual you guys are a bunch of mindless morons.

It is unbelievable how purposefully close minded, blind, and ignornat people act when one of these games are talked about.

The problem is *anyone* can look at this game or the last game i bought UC:SE and see that you guys are completely and uttterly full of crap. The Games graphics are very good for a space sim game. Plus there are aspects of the game you guys never address or even check out to see for yourself. Like the amazing scope of the size of everything.

I also own ST Legacy and other space styled games and the grapics in the current version of this series are better in many many ways.

I really wish you guys would cut the crap, grow the heck up and act like mature adults for a change.
The Whales name is Bob.

Re: GameTap
Mar 22, 2007, 00:17
Re: GameTap Mar 22, 2007, 00:17
Mar 22, 2007, 00:17

I signed up for GameTap about a week ago. I was in the beta and didn't think it was worth the money, but it really improved since then.
I'll agree that the list of titles has certainly expanded since the initial launch of the service, but as a avid PC game buyer I already have almost every one of the games on it that I would be interested in, and of the one or two I don't I could purchase them off eBay for less than the price of two months of the service. Plus, I would actually own the games and be able to play them in virtual perpetuity.

A PC games rental service could have its place, but Gametap's lineup is not compelling enough to warrant a subscription for me.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 00:18.

GameTap
Mar 21, 2007, 23:13
GameTap Mar 21, 2007, 23:13
Mar 21, 2007, 23:13

I signed up for GameTap about a week ago. I was in the beta and didn't think it was worth the money, but it really improved since then. They have classic turn-based strategy games: Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM UFO Defense, Alpha Centauri, HOMM I-IV, and Disciples II, to name a few. Some great space games too. Unfortunately I can't play Homeworld since I live in Canada, which is ironic as it was developed in this city. URU Live is interesting but needs more content badly. I haven't even played Sam & Max yet (nor Derek Smart's works). GameTap is now definitely worth it as a turn-based strategy fanatic.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 23:43.

More Smart crap
Mar 21, 2007, 19:34
More Smart crap Mar 21, 2007, 19:34
Mar 21, 2007, 19:34

Show me anything that Smart has done that's remotely as good as these:

http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?set_albumName=album07&option=com_gallery&Itemid=55&include=view_album.php

And these were written using an open source 3D engine.

Re: No subject
Mar 21, 2007, 19:24
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 19:24
Mar 21, 2007, 19:24

Hey smart, you can polish shit, you can call shit by another name, but it's still shit... Just like you.

Re: DEREK SMART
Mar 21, 2007, 19:17
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 19:17
Mar 21, 2007, 19:17

Gametap doesn't work outside of the USA. Shame really as there are some good games on it,
Such as? Aside from the Sam & Max episodes, is there anything now on Gametap that you can't pickup on eBay for $10 or less or for free in the case of the emulated console and arcade games?

Mar 21, 2007, 18:17
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 18:17
Mar 21, 2007, 18:17

Likewise so is the implicit sexism in using 'ladies' as an insult; if 'we' were a bunch of over-egotistic, testosterone overdosed people needing to prove our manliness to all and sundry, then maybe it'd be offensive, but otherwise it comes across as some sort of projection.

Looking like this probably makes him feel the need to try to exude "manliness" on internet messageboards as much as possible. Lord knows he looks incapable of doing it in person.

http://www.technopinoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/ds_left.jpg
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Mar 21, 2007, 18:11
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 18:11
Mar 21, 2007, 18:11

Was your local crack dealer doing a three-for-one today? That must be if you think those shots are.....oh wait, I forgot, I'm supposed to be pissed and all that. Fact is, I'm not. And you're ugly

Wow Derek, hit a nerve or something? Did you work on all the textures yourself? Might want to update to using a a functional pixel shader, then maybe this wouldn't look like it is running on DirectX 7.0
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Mar 21, 2007, 17:40
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 17:40
Mar 21, 2007, 17:40

Rule of thumb: When you're in denial, go find a shrink.

Then again, why would I expect any less from you FS fanbois? In fact, you're not a fanboy, most of you are just cranky kiddies leeching off other people's work and with zero creativity to speak of. So, yeah, do carry on.

And considering the flurry of positive (e.g. "Please do it and ignore those fuckers!!") emails I got from the gaming populace in general regarding my desire to do FS3, you ladies are in the minority. In other words, you - simply - don't - matter.

Sweetheart, please, PLEASE, show me shots of just ONE FS2 related mod that even looks like its worth looking at, let alone play.

I'm not sure if that's some form of homo-erotic vibe, or some twisted attempt to offend by implying one or whatnot, but the 'sweetheart' bit is just odd (I'm not sure why a term of endearment is supposed to offend; I suppose it's condescending for some people?). Likewise so is the implicit sexism in using 'ladies' as an insult; if 'we' were a bunch of over-egotistic, testosterone overdosed people needing to prove our manliness to all and sundry, then maybe it'd be offensive, but otherwise it comes across as some sort of projection.

I'll neglect the rest of the childish insults (there's a certain Jack Thompson vibe, I think, in their immaturity; granted, I can understand you've been, umm, flamed a fair bit but surely one must rise above this as a professional and self professed 'alpha male') and soforth (it's most unbecoming) and just post the first two things that spring to mind;
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1839
and
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3215&page=4

(EDIT; http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3215&page=2 - the Starfox media isn't as well organized as BTRL, sadly)

I have to admit finding the 'creativity' bit rather off. Surely if you were genuinely interested in buying the license with any sort of, umm, respect for the source material you'd be aware of how people were diverging from it in creative ways. As far as TCs' go, there's also creativity in that divergence - unless you wish to imply your own sequels are devoid of creativity for being based off earlier work/settings?

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 18:13.

Mar 21, 2007, 17:38
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 17:38
Mar 21, 2007, 17:38

Gametap doesn't work outside of the USA. Shame really as there are some good games on it, this isn't one of them.

Mar 21, 2007, 16:58
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 16:58
Mar 21, 2007, 16:58

Neither actually
That's too bad because I really like the Wing Commander games.

Heck, picture this: the entire game can be played using an analog gamepad (!) for e.g. Logitech's excellent Dual-Action or the XB360 Controller for Windows. Now if that's not shocking enough, picture this: An in game, fully viewable, game manual, tutorial and keyboard commands. In under a, uhm, million pages.

Yeah, what the hell, we sold out.
If you consider making that type of game "selling out," then you should have sold out a long time ago because that sounds like a game I might actually want to play.

It will be released exclusively via Turner's GameTap service this Summer.
Well that's strike two against it because I won't rent games. I'd play a free game via a service, but if I am going to plunk down money no matter how small, I want to be able to keep the game and play it whenever and wherever.

If Gametap doesn't own exclusive rights to the game in perpetuity, you might want to release it as a standalone game down the road. That is if you haven't poisoned the market for it by then with your flaming posts.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 19:18.

Mar 21, 2007, 16:19
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 16:19
Mar 21, 2007, 16:19

"Rule of thumb: When you're in denial, go find a shrink"

We aren't in denial you fucktard, we just know your games suck

Mar 21, 2007, 16:15
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 16:15
Mar 21, 2007, 16:15

Wow Derek your graphics are nearly upto the standard of X2.

Congratulations you uber artiste you.

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

Mar 21, 2007, 15:52
Re: No subject Mar 21, 2007, 15:52
Mar 21, 2007, 15:52

To be honest, I'm very glad this isn't Freespace 3, then. It doesn't really look as good IMHO than the better FS2 source code mods such as BTR

Rule of thumb: When you're in denial, go find a shrink.

Then again, why would I expect any less from you FS fanbois? In fact, you're not a fanboy, most of you are just cranky kiddies leeching off other people's work and with zero creativity to speak of. So, yeah, do carry on.

And considering the flurry of positive (e.g. "Please do it and ignore those fuckers!!") emails I got from the gaming populace in general regarding my desire to do FS3, you ladies are in the minority. In other words, you - simply - don't - matter.

Sweetheart, please, PLEASE, show me shots of just ONE FS2 related mod that even looks like its worth looking at, let alone play.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 15:56.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

No subject
Mar 21, 2007, 15:50
No subject Mar 21, 2007, 15:50
Mar 21, 2007, 15:50

To be honest, I'm very glad this isn't Freespace 3, then. It doesn't really look as good IMHO than the better FS2 source code mods such as BTRL.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Mar 21, 2007, 15:49
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 15:49
Mar 21, 2007, 15:49

Is this game supposed to be more a Wing Commander style combat title or is it still in the vein of the Battlecruiser games? I know it's called a space shooter but that often can mean many different things.

Neither actually. If it was in the vein of the Battlecruiser or Universal Combat games, it wouldn't be labeled under a different franchise.

Sure its set in the same world, uses some similar technologies etc; but thats where the commonality ends. As I said over here....

http://forums.avault.com/showthread.php?t=21847

THIS is what I wanted to do for Freespace 3. Bring it to the masses, make it accessible, bring it back to the forefront etc. But, you know how that turned out. So, I took my balls (!) and went home to do my own thing.

Also over here

http://www.3000ad.com/gnn

Yep, the first game in our new mass market targeted space/aerial combat action game has gone Gold!! It will be released exclusively via Turner's GameTap service this Summer. If you missed that bit of news, you can grab the press release over on the products page.

It has been a long year but I think the effort has been well worth it; especially when you consider just how many standards (from our niche offerings) had to be breached. Heck, picture this: the entire game can be played using an analog gamepad (!) for e.g. Logitech's excellent Dual-Action or the XB360 Controller for Windows. Now if that's not shocking enough, picture this: An in game, fully viewable, game manual, tutorial and keyboard commands. In under a, uhm, million pages.

Yeah, what the hell, we sold out. The money wasn't bad either; but most importantly, once again we got to develop a game that we wanted to play, not some other 'me too' industry fodder.

Speaking of fodder, that's right, in keeping with our tradition of releasing games in a series until gamers lose track of what's what, there are no less than three episodic titles in the Galactic Command series, currently in development. The second title to be released, Galactic Command - Bravo Team, visions the battle from the viewpoint of a bunch of inept (seriously, its got, like, comedy and everything) planetside marines. With an all new terrain engine (which also uses SpeedTree RT middleware for vegetation) and a plethora of advancements and features, using our advanced AI technologies already seen in our previous games, Bravo Team takes first person squad command to a whole new level. Screen shots and more info coming sometime this Summer. Stay tuned!

Wow those graphics are pretty horrendous. I usually don't complain too much about graphics if the gameplay is good, but those are just kind of painful to look at.

I hope you put more time into designing the game mechanics and streamlining the UI than you did with the visuals.

Was your local crack dealer doing a three-for-one today? That must be if you think those shots are.....oh wait, I forgot, I'm supposed to be pissed and all that. Fact is, I'm not. And you're ugly.

Mar 21, 2007, 15:33
Re: DEREK SMART Mar 21, 2007, 15:33
Mar 21, 2007, 15:33

Is this game supposed to be more a Wing Commander style combat title or is it still in the vein of the Battlecruiser games? I know it's called a space shooter but that often can mean many different things.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older