Out of the Blue

This morning dropping MrsBlue at the train station I had to wait for a handful of pedestrians who crossed at a crosswalk that was not shoveled on the destination side, so they walked in the roadway ahead of me, then I was delayed by a shuttle bus that chose to discharge its 20-some passengers without pulling over to the curb, and finally, got cut off by a driver on the way home. Now keep in mind that we live under a mile from the train, so it's kind of boggling to run into so much idiocy in such a short time, and not a particularly pleasant start to the day.

Road Rage Links! Thanks Ant.
Play: Vox Imperium. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Star Trap. Thanks User Friendly.
Word Search.
Links: Hangar 101 Case Mod by SleepStreamer.
Crocheted Atari Pitfall.
Stories: Mother coached children to fake retardation.
U.S. food safety inspections languishing. That explains many recent headlines.
Honus Wagner card sold for $2.35 million. Thanks Jim.
Science!: Want to stop disease from spreading? Open a window.
Tooth implant 'to release drugs'.
Winter 'second warmest on record'.
Images: Super Mario re-created in snow by bored college students. Beats studying.
Killer Kites.
Media: The Ballad Of Black Mesa. Thanks nin.
Screen Savers #1 64 mg Ram is all you'll ever need!
Best Cereal Commercials Ever. Pink Panther Flakes rocked.
Follow-up: Official: Killer jaguar has mean brother.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Traffic Idiocy
Feb 27, 2007, 20:12
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 20:12
Feb 27, 2007, 20:12

This whole global warming debate is like a dog chasing its tail. Only, a really ugly dog that also has diahereah and is leaking while chasing his tail.

Thank you for the LOL of the day!

-----------------------------------
Is Vista just Windows XP Service Pack 3 with eye candy?
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

No subject
Feb 27, 2007, 18:15
nin
No subject Feb 27, 2007, 18:15
Feb 27, 2007, 18:15
nin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 1, 15:44.

Feb 27, 2007, 18:13
Enahs

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 18:13
Feb 27, 2007, 18:13
 Enahs

Here is my Wii #:
0820 9047 6326 4548

And whats your real first name masa, send it to me via email if you want. I hate nicknames on my Wii in the message list.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 18:19.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Feb 27, 2007, 18:07
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 18:07
Feb 27, 2007, 18:07

Both SMUD and PG&E are starting methane recovery programs here in the Central Valley of California at dairy farms.

That is a smart step in the right direction, and plays into what Tango was getting at.

http://www.sacbee.com/204/story/124999.html

Cal-Denier Dairy in Galt has a deal with the Sacramento Municipal Utility District to capture methane gas from cow manure to generate electricity.

The deal is one in a wave of new agreements in California aimed at boosting the state's use of renewable energy by harnessing the power of cow pies.

"We think these are very cool projects," said Keely Wachs, a spokesman for Pacific Gas and Electric Co., which recently signed two contracts for cow power.

Wachs said the benefits are threefold: Consumers get a new source of clean energy. Farmers get a new source of revenue. And methane, a greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming, is kept out of the atmosphere and put to good use.

"Not only are we reducing our carbon footprint as an energy provider, we're also helping to reduce the carbon footprint for these dairy farmers," Wachs said.

In Sacramento County, VanWarmerdam Dairy Inc. in Galt and Tollenaar Holsteins Dairy in Elk Grove also are negotiating with SMUD to provide manure power.

SMUD estimates the three dairies collectively will produce electricity enough to serve about 372 households. SMUD project manager Ruth MacDougall said it takes the output of five to 10 cows, depending on their size, to power one household.

The two companies contracted with PG&E have a slightly different setup. BioEnergy Solutions, a business started by dairyman David Albers in Fresno County, and Microgy, Inc., a Colorado-based business working with several California dairies, will pipe purified methane directly to PG&E rather than generate electricity at the farm.

According to PG&E, the two contracts together will supply gas enough to meet the electricity demands of 100,000 residential customers. PG&E is seeking more.

"We are in negotiations with other groups," Wachs said. "This is a source of energy we're looking to build."

Today, California utility companies are aggressively seeking alternative sources of energy, driven by a state mandate to boost their reliance on renewable power sources to 20 percent by 2010. SMUD, though not held to the same mandate, has a goal of using renewables for 23 percent of its needs by 2011.

Moreover, electricity providers expect a new law limiting California's greenhouse gas emissions will compel them to find more substitutes for fossil fuels.

Denier, the Galt dairyman, said SMUD's desire to buy cow power was key to his interest -- partly because the agency will share some of the cost of installing the methane-capture system.

MacDougall said SMUD will contribute 13 percent toward each system, which amounts to between $100,000 and $150,000 per dairy. The Sacramento County dairies also received grants from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to offset costs.

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: Monday, February 26, 2007

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Feb 27, 2007, 17:56
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:56
Feb 27, 2007, 17:56

Okay, I see no one actually posted their Wii numbers on yesterday's OotB, but I got everyone I know posted on the forums. I'll my code here and if you're inclined, please add me!

Wii Code: 8987 3048 7913 6271

Feb 27, 2007, 17:53
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:53
Feb 27, 2007, 17:53

I bought a can of air
I know it's pressurised and so on, but those cans always make me laugh - you want me to pay... for air?!

www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

Feb 27, 2007, 17:44
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:44
Feb 27, 2007, 17:44

Thanks Enahs. That JunkScience article is excellent.

The first question I asked myself when this Global Warming (or "Climate Change" to use its current description) is who benefits? And I see a lot of people getting rich off carbon offsetting programs which don't do anything. I see extraordinary growth in associated 'ethical' products - Fair Trade, Organic movements (food, textiles, etc), alternative fuels, etc.

And then I see strange obsessions emerging. I don't know how it is in the USA, but in Europe the favourite whipping boy is air travel. Aeroplanes account for about 1% of man-made CO2. Given the height at which they emit this, we can maybe allow them 4% (being generous) in terms of the harm they cause. But there is no realistic alternative for doing long journeys than aeroplanes, and at the moment, there is no alternative to burning Kerosene and its derivatives in order to fuel these aeroplanes. Yet air travel receives FAR more than 4% of complaints. Air taxes, fuel duty, etc. are all 't3h good thing.'

Power generation, on the other hand, accounts for about 40%. Industry another 15% and Agriculture a further 10%. Now something odd happens - we have answers to these (considerably more significant) polluters. But these solutions we have are dismissed. Nuclear power provides clean, safe and virtually limitless power, but green lobbies refuse to countenance it. Even investment in future power sources - this ITER thing in Southern France - is derided as being unneccessary. For these guys it's their way (windmills, solar, tide - all hideously inefficient) or no way.

This weird contrast hints at a tendancy to confuse environmental concern and broader ethical concerns with a subtle anti-capitalism which enters most of these discussions. The only explanation I can come up with for this kind of rejection of an obvious solution is that there's some ulterior motive for its rejection. Nuclear power, air travel, cheap textiles, corporate farming - these are all classic symbols of globalisation and have attracted their fair share of hatred. While some of this vitriol is fair enough, I don't like the way genuine reasons (global warming aside) for improving our atmosphere are being muddled with this kind of thinking.

To bring this back into a gaming context I believe in the Sim City solution. By 2040 we'll have almost infinite electric power available for very little cost (environmental and pecuniary). Everything we currently use fossil fuels for will eventually become electric powered in response to this low price electricity. Further advantages are felt through a lower reliance on oil and oil-producing countries. Though I'm no fan of Bush, I agree that the solution to this 'problem' is likely to be found in science.
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 17:52.

Feb 27, 2007, 17:24
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:24
Feb 27, 2007, 17:24

Damn, I really need to clean that out
I bought a can of air and blasted mine out yesterday, and there was a hamster in my power supply. Or at least it looked like a hamster. Yikes.
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

Feb 27, 2007, 17:22
Enahs

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:22
Feb 27, 2007, 17:22
 Enahs

Please Mr Enahs, what's the answer?

It's involves hate on a global scale.

Forget Global Warming! Think GLOBAL HATING!!!!!!!

Worrying about global hating sounds too much like being a pussy.

Seriously, you want to know the answer?
The answer is nobody knows for sure. The answer is, there is no point is wasting energy and fossil fuels, regardless of global warming or not. The answer is, we are too stupid to even begin to be able to comprehend and accurately analyze this type of information. And because the people for global warming ignore so many things that diminish there idea (and lets not forget that they have been wrong in every prediction for the last 35 years). And the proponents against global warming do not actually listen to what the people for global warming say and dismiss it too easily.

H2O (water), the most useful and most used and studied substance on the earth, the molecule that everybody agrees we would not exist as we do today (if at all) if water did not exist. This simple 3 atom molecule, which is trivially small, where chemical peptides in your body are millions of atoms big. We hardly have any clue about this simple molecule. Modern science has yet to even be able to truly explain water in its frozen form (ICE), there are over 12 known different forms of Ice from H2O, all with distinct chemical and physical properties….and nobody can explain that.

We have clearly shown we are too stupid to actually predict the future, and we have nowhere near the amount of knowledge required to predict the future (in this form). But the theory has its merits; so one should be cautious. There are many many many other good reasons to stop polluting how we do. But since all people do is bitch about global warming (while making millions of dollars bitching about it) and do not talk about the other reasons; it is just stupid, counterproductive, and damn annoying.

This whole global warming debate is like a dog chasing its tail. Only, a really ugly dog that also has diahereah and is leaking while chasing his tail.

We are to stupid to truly understand right now, and we are also to stupid to make the correct decisions. We are also to greedy, because those on both sides do not want the other to win, as right now it is guaranteed easy millions.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):

- W. C. Fields

Feb 27, 2007, 17:20
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:20
Feb 27, 2007, 17:20

Well, it sure isn't what Algore and Babs are doing....

Quick, lets use up 24x as much energy as an average household per year and tell them to line dry their laundry and bike to work while I chill my furs in a NY apartment and keep a 12,000 SF barn air conditioned. <rolls eyes>

http://house-update.blogspot.com/

Last update: Monday, February 26, 2007

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Feb 27, 2007, 17:08
Enahs

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:08
Feb 27, 2007, 17:08
 Enahs

I agree with Bucky SMA. I would check for dust. That stuff is a killer to heat convection. And make sure your case fans are working and there is plenty of air flow (case fan dust covers are clean, cords are out of the way so air flows good).

- W. C. Fields

Feb 27, 2007, 17:04
nin

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:04
Feb 27, 2007, 17:04
 nin

It's involves hate on a global scale.

Forget Global Warming! Think GLOBAL HATING!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

Feb 27, 2007, 17:03
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:03
Feb 27, 2007, 17:03

Many thanks. Underclocked it to default 7800 GTX clockspeed, now I think I'll test out the C&C3 again to see if that did the trick.

You should probably just check the rig for dust before anything else since that's likely the first culprit. Also, the Coobits tweak works with the new Control Panel, or you can use Rivatuner. Personally I use nHancer for graphic settings and game profiles and Rivatuner for OC'ing and fan speed control.

*looks through case window*

Damn, I really need to clean that out.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
We want Blue's News T-shirts!

Feb 27, 2007, 17:02
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 17:02
Feb 27, 2007, 17:02

Feb 27, 2007, 16:51
Enahs

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 16:51
Feb 27, 2007, 16:51
 Enahs

An Inconvenient Truth is full of horrendous crap. Just crap. Go take freshman physics and chemistry, and then watch the movie. It is filled with mostly crap. Ok well to be fair, it is all half truths designed to misguide you/trick you.

Then you got stuff like this:
http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/
Which is in the opposite direction as Al Gore. But again, half truths and designed to misguide.

All of this is business people, plan and simple. You are a tard' to believe everything you are told when it comes to science like this; where billions of dollars a year are being made in profit on both sides.

It really is an Inconvenient Truth, that we as a society are lazy bastards and have no clue to think for our selves and analyze information and situations. If this was in the past, I could understand deferring to world leaders and believing them. But with the modern technology, and if the school systems did not suck so much (on average) and parents made their children care about education; there is absolutely no good reason why most people do not even have a minimal amount of information about science, the scientific process and critical analysis. And if we as a society did, and gave a damn, this whole argument would not exist in its form today.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 16:52.
- W. C. Fields

Feb 27, 2007, 16:36
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 16:36
Feb 27, 2007, 16:36

Also (unrelated) was @ Best Bi @ lunch and...there's 3 copies of the Burning Crusade CE on the shelf?!?! WTF? I did a double take, then quickly grabbed one...

You have done well little one. Glad to hear you are still having fun with the game.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 27, 2007, 15:08
nin

Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 15:08
Feb 27, 2007, 15:08
 nin

after every update now, the icon is gray, and (AVG) says it needs to reboot before the new update will take effect.

I had this problem a while ago, it's not specific to 7.5. Basically what it boils down to is that your install has gone a bit wonky, and the quickest way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall.

Thank you!

Also (unrelated) was @ Best Bi @ lunch and...there's 3 copies of the Burning Crusade CE on the shelf?!?! WTF? I did a double take, then quickly grabbed one...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/

Feb 27, 2007, 15:05
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 15:05
Feb 27, 2007, 15:05

You mean to solve the Global Warming problem, all we have to do is buy carbon offsets??

Heck, then why are we so worried? All we have to do is spend more money.

Feb 27, 2007, 14:54
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 14:54
Feb 27, 2007, 14:54

after every update now, the icon is gray, and (AVG) says it needs to reboot before the new update will take effect.

I had this problem a while ago, it's not specific to 7.5. Basically what it boils down to is that your install has gone a bit wonky, and the quickest way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall.

Feb 27, 2007, 13:11
Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 13:11
Feb 27, 2007, 13:11

DL cool bits run it and then open you properties...Clock gauge will now be in Control panel(classic)

Many thanks. Underclocked it to default 7800 GTX clockspeed, now I think I'll test out the C&C3 again to see if that did the trick.

edit: seems to have done the trick. Thanks again.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 13:24.
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older