Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New Star Wars Galaxies Chapter

The Star Wars Galaxies Current Chapter Page offers details on An Entertaining Enterprise, the new Chapter 5 that's just gone live in the Star Wars MMORPG. The new release completes the rollout of the Profession Expertise System, adds a new Reverse Engineering System for Traders, and more, including a painting as a Chapter 5 gift:

Two iconic Star Wars professions, traders and entertainers, are the beneficiaries of all new skills and abilities in Chapter 5: An Entertaining Enterprise, allowing players to fully customize their characters and carve out their own place in the galaxy. Players will be able to earn up to 45 expertise points as their characters progress to level 90, which they can spend as they please on new abilities, and modifications to existing abilities for their professions.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 24, 2007, 02:55 .Drifter

My kids love The Phantom Menace - they even like Jar Jar Binks. I think really you need to accept that Star Wars has ALWAYS been aimed at children - just cause you aged 20 years doesn't mean to say the target age range has also. Or are you telling me that the Ewoks were designed to appeal to hardcore nerds?

I mean really what would you rather spend a rainy sunday afternoon with a bunch of kids watching - Star Wars or High School Musical.

Always aimed at children? Hmm, not so sure about that. I mean seriously, Star Wars had Darth Vader choke a man to death, Obi Wan chopped a guys arm off and left a bloody mess, Han Solo shot Greedo FIRST, the Empire blows up a planet and murders billions of people, Leia is tortured (off screen), and several starfighter pilots are blown to bits screaming in agony. Empire starts with a Luke getting mauled by a snow man and stuffed into the guts of a big, stinky, furry creature, hundreds of people are gunned down, Han Solo is tortured on screen and frozen in carbonite, C-3PO is blown apart, and Luke gets his hand chopped off.
Return was originally Revenge of the Jedi and was meant to have Wookies instead of Ewoks, but Lucas in a flash of brilliance decided Ewoks would sell better as stuffed toys, which is when the franchise started it's kiddiefied downhill turn. I mean seriously, other than the starwars christmas special, how many other kiddie cartoons did starwars have before droids and ewok adventures, which came out about the time Return did? None that I can remember.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 02:56.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 15:35 nightfend

Way to back up your point CJ! You showed them!

26. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 14:48 Kxmode

2 points for CJ. That was ROFL man!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

25. Two words that count Feb 23, 2007, 12:27  Blue 

Play nice!  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

24. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 12:15 CJ_Parker

Two words for you to look up learn and understand the meaning of, DaGook...

Fuck
and
You

----------------------------
*** Born to troll ***

23. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 11:27 Krovven

Retard Of The Week goes too....CJ Parker, the self proclaimed Troll!

Two words for you to look up, learn and understand the meaning of...

Subjective
and
Opinion

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Day of Defeat Source.

22. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 09:35  cliffski 

"Guess why SWG has only 125K - 175K"

sooooooooo......... theres a game with 125,000 people playing it raking in $1.25 million a MONTH, or approx 12 million dollars a year, probably costing about a tenth of that to maintain, and you would pull the plug on it?
I must assume you do not run a business from this.

http://www.positech.co.uk

21. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 09:34 AnarKane

Look in the mirror and say that, hotshot.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

20. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 09:02 CJ_Parker

Then again, I've got Station Access thanks to EQ1 and EQ2, this game isn't costing me a dime.

That kind of logic can only come from someone who is "having fun" with SWG in spite of the game's current state. Anyone remotely capable of at least some minimum brain activity wouldn't say crap like that.

*** Born to troll ***

19. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 08:55 AnarKane

I dunno. Despite all of its very glaring faults, I'm having fun with SWG. This chapter didn't fix a lot as far as the most obvious problems (the broken book missions were scrapped entirely instead of being fixed), but there was plenty of good things about it. Then again, I've got Station Access thanks to EQ1 and EQ2, this game isn't costing me a dime.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

18. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 08:25 Ecthelion

My kids love The Phantom Menace - they even like Jar Jar Binks. I think really you need to accept that Star Wars has ALWAYS been aimed at children - just cause you aged 20 years doesn't mean to say the target age range has also. Or are you telling me that the Ewoks were designed to appeal to hardcore nerds?

I mean really what would you rather spend a rainy sunday afternoon with a bunch of kids watching - Star Wars or High School Musical.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Watch the Ewoks reference, though - a lot of people actually hated Return of the Jedi just because of them (people like Jaenos apparently). It seems some people just can't accept anything cute in their movies.

17. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 08:02 Lorcin

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

16. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 07:28 Reactor

Just because you are an easily entertained simpleton doesn't mean everyone is. Some people actually like quality entertainment, ya know?

That, or they just like whining about everything that isn't purpose-built to satify their every whim and desire. It's just a movie and a bunch of games, so get over it and quit complaining. I get that the movies and games won't appeal to everyone, but some people on here go on about it that much you'd think the makers spat on and insulted their mothers.

15. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 07:19 CJ_Parker

Not having played SWG I can't really comment on it... but I'm sure someone out there is getting their monies worth, even if it isn't widely recognised as being all that great.

Yup. Someone's probably also getting "their monies worth" out of Derek Smart games, Daikatana or Sponge Bob Square Pants games.

Dude, seriously, what part of "Star Wars Galaxies is the suck of the millennium" did ya not understand?

This game is objectively fucked up beyond any recognition. Guess why SWG has only 125K - 175K subscribers while other MMOs based on much less popular franchises attract much higher numbers. Guess why the game is getting no more expansions. Guess why the game went through two major revamps of the entire combat and gameplay systems. Weeeellllll... why?
Hint: The reason just happens to be not the game's superior quality.

All of this, 'Starwars is a disgrace' stuff is just rubbish. It may not be exactly what you want, but outside of the internet complaining it's something everyone I know has enjoyed.

Bull-fucking-shit. The Phantom Menace, Star Wars Galaxies and Force Commander are some prime examples of Star Wars suckiness (though the other two are infinitely better than SWG). Just because you are an easily entertained simpleton doesn't mean everyone is. Some people actually like quality entertainment, ya know?

Kurt's still there? Wow! He's an old buddy of mine. I would have thought he would have abandoned that sinking ship long ago. He's a good guy. He deserves better.

He might deserve better but the odds that he can actually do better are pretty much nil.
Seriously, your buddy Kurt is a major part of the problem. It's a small miracle that they ain't fired him yet. He must have made very good friends with a few people at SOE to get that kind of backup.

*** Born to troll ***
This comment was edited on Feb 23, 07:24.

14. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 05:02 Jerykk

...even the Phantom Menace?

13. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 05:01 Reactor

I love the Bluesnews whiners club. I enjoyed all of the Starwars movies (minus the odd scene here and there) and have enjoyed quite a few Starwars games. Not having played SWG I can't really comment on it... but I'm sure someone out there is getting their monies worth, even if it isn't widely recognised as being all that great.

All of this, 'Starwars is a disgrace' stuff is just rubbish. It may not be exactly what you want, but outside of the internet complaining it's something everyone I know has enjoyed.

12. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 02:17 Jaenos

CJ Parker are you on crack.

The mere existence of SWG is a disgrace for the Star Wars franchise?

Have you played a star wars game? 90% of them sucked. Have you seen the Star Wars movies, 4 out of 6 have really f@#$ing sucked.

There is no grace to Star Wars to have dis.(yeah that makes sense somewhere)

11. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 02:07 Cutter

Kurt's still there? Wow! He's an old buddy of mine. I would have thought he would have abandoned that sinking ship long ago. He's a good guy. He deserves better.

SOE & EA = the evil empire of gaming.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton, Jr., Talladega Nights

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

10. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 23, 2007, 00:53 Masa

That depends on how you define "popular" but the game has always (from day one) stayed way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyy below expectations because of the retarded original design and the even more retarded subsequent attempts of fixing the game.

No...that's a very clear and definitive description of the status (however small it was) SW had awhile back. There was a somewhat vibrant and dedicated community behind the game, now from what my friend says, it's more or less pretty dead.

9. Re: For what it's worth... Feb 22, 2007, 20:09 Jerykk

You forgot Neocron.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo