EVE Online Scandal Follow-up

The EVE Online Forums have the promised (story) follow-up to the allegations of developer misconduct in EVE Online (story), linking to a pair of posts, saying: "It is our hopes these Blogs will address the remainder of the EVE community's concerns over these allegations" (thanks borgholio). One of the blogs is called On Recent Allegations, by CCP's t20, which admits to one of the accusations, and the other blog is called The Commitment, which delves into this and other past incidents of employee shenanigans and describes efforts at preventing repeats in the future. Here's t20's confession:
As you might have read and heard, there were recently some allegations posted regarding developer misconduct that basically come down to:

• Developers helping (an) alliance(s) gain information they otherwise would not have.
    • Developers having an unfair advantage of game mechanics.
    • Developers helping themselves acquire goods in-game by means of in-house tools, otherwise not available to regular players.

All allegations mentioned above are untrue, except one. Sadly enough, the allegation regarding unlawfully obtained blueprints are, in my case, true. I’m here, laying out the facts of what happened in June 2006 so this whole issue -- which jeopardized my colleagues, my company and our community -- can be put behind us, I hope for the better.

The blueprints in question will be returned to CCP and reintroduced through a new raffle in the future. Specifically, these are:

• Flameburst Precision Light Missile Blueprint
    • Phalanx Rage Rocket Blueprint
    • Havoc Fury Heavy Missile Blueprint
    • Bloodclaw Fury Light Missile Blueprint
    • Spike L Blueprint
    • Sabre Blueprint

Regrettably, my actions inevitably led to a shadow of suspicion being cast on a number of my co-workers, as well as Reikoku and Band of Brothers. I wish to make it clear that I acted alone and my co-workers and corp/alliance mates have been cleared of any alleged wrongdoing.

As much as this is a confession it is also a request for your forgiveness for events of which I’m truly sorry.
For those unfamiliar with EVE's gameplay mechanics, there are a limited number of blueprints available for in-game items in the science fiction MMORPG, and an alliance with a monopoly on the blueprints for a given item have a powerful gameplay and economic advantage. Here's the conclusion of The Commitment, which is written by CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson:
As we look to the future, we will endeavor to improve our handling of these matters by acting in a manner that is both swift and consistent with company policy. It is regrettable that such instances reveal flaws in our governance, but by the same token, addressing them decisively is what makes our company stronger. We now have resources dedicated to performing audits of dev activity on Tranquility with much more frequency than before. This, combined with additional layers of security, and the non-negotiable penalty of employment termination upon conviction of such acts, represents the full extent that we will go to deter dev misconduct.

The developers of this company will always play the games that they build here. Without being fully immersed in the player experience, perspective, and community, it is impossible to build, maintain, and expand online worlds with any degree of competency. And while that does expose us to some degree of risk, the rewards are incalculably higher. EVE has grown stronger every year since its inception; these bumps in the road are an inevitable part of the journey we must endure as a growing company; and we would not be here today if we opted to isolate ourselves from the player experience of EVE Online.

It is thus that we look forward to putting this matter firmly behind us, and move forward with our continued mission to improve and expand a world that we hold close to our hearts.
View : : :
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: LOL
Feb 10, 2007, 22:01
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 22:01
Feb 10, 2007, 22:01

Glad they haven't fixed nasty multiplayer devs there yet, as I am a bot, good stuff,

Feb 10, 2007, 13:55
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 13:55
Feb 10, 2007, 13:55

Pft, CCP deserves the backlash they get, not the people expecting to you know, play the game.

Yes. But if this is the sort of thing they're going to do to the people who play their game, then your choice is either stop paying them or keep paying them. If you choose the latter, you're accepting this behavior, therefore you're getting exactly what you pay for.

Does anyone know if the guy who came forward with the truth has been unbanned yet? That would be something, at least.

No subject
Feb 10, 2007, 13:41
f13
No subject Feb 10, 2007, 13:41
Feb 10, 2007, 13:41
f13

q[
If you're correct, that's pretty lame, and just makes this whole scandal even more hilarious.]

yep, it's true. they've been doing it over a year or so, at least that i know of (by the time i last played)

Feb 10, 2007, 13:13
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 13:13
Feb 10, 2007, 13:13

Anyone still paying CCP deserves what they get.

Pft, CCP deserves the backlash they get, not the people expecting to you know, play the game.

No subject
Feb 10, 2007, 09:22
Tbh
No subject Feb 10, 2007, 09:22
Feb 10, 2007, 09:22
Tbh

It is correct.

And at the same time they frown apon isk buyers from ebay for cheating other players out of a normal game experience.

Thats the company people are dealing with here, they say one thing, and do quite the other. There are groups within the game actively encouraging it's members to purchase these codes to exchange for isk to fight alliance conflicts.

That was the point of my first post, when the guy happend to be expenable (the gm) they were more than happy to lynch him up on the forum for public discrace, same situation with one of there own, the matter has been dealt with internally, we ask for your understanding, lets all be friends and put this behind us.

There's no consistant message, like the rest of the crap they pull, youre expected to just ignore it when it suits them.

There fanatical playerbase normaly does just that, because there busy taking advantage of it.

Feb 10, 2007, 08:54
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 08:54
Feb 10, 2007, 08:54

The best part is how they tried to hush it up: The guy who discovered this and brought the news to the player community had all his accounts banned.

Anyone still paying CCP deserves what they get.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 08:55.

Feb 10, 2007, 06:37
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 06:37
Feb 10, 2007, 06:37

Pure bullshit.

The only reason this happens is because ccp allow ISK buyers to purchase gametime codes and sell them to account holders in exchange for isk.

People take advantage of being able to exchange their isk for free gametime, starting multiple clients/accounts.

If you're correct, that's pretty lame, and just makes this whole scandal even more hilarious.

Re: No subject
Feb 10, 2007, 06:31
Re: No subject Feb 10, 2007, 06:31
Feb 10, 2007, 06:31

Bats, you really are a prick. I'm adding you to my prick list, prick.

i forgot you were on my tard list at work hurr TARD LIST YOU GO

----
HAY LOOKIE HEER MAH I KILLED MAHSELF 36 SQUIRRALS LAST MONF

Feb 10, 2007, 06:20
Tbh
Re: LOL Feb 10, 2007, 06:20
Feb 10, 2007, 06:20
Tbh

However, it accumulated a player base slowly and steadily, unlike most other MMOGs, which typically peak in subscribers within a few months of launch and slowly tail off after that.

Pure bullshit.

The only reason this happens is because ccp allow ISK buyers to purchase gametime codes and sell them to account holders in exchange for isk.

People take advantage of being able to exchange their isk for free gametime, starting multiple clients/accounts.

No subject
Feb 10, 2007, 05:58
Tbh
No subject Feb 10, 2007, 05:58
Feb 10, 2007, 05:58
Tbh

They hung drew and quarterd in front of there baying community last year, that gm got caught taking advantage of his position.

Nice to see ccp are consistant as ever.

Like they were ever going to fire their mate anyway:|

Futher proof of ccp just canvassing their fanatical playerbase.

Feb 10, 2007, 03:34
Re: No subject Feb 10, 2007, 03:34
Feb 10, 2007, 03:34

String em up, light em on fire, and release from the organization.

Will never work any where else - EVER.

Bats, you really are a prick. I'm adding you to my prick list, prick.

There. Added.

It's basically a list of people with "prick" written next to their name. I use an exclamation mark if I'm dreadfully angry.

http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Re: Usefulness of T2 BPOs
Feb 9, 2007, 23:54
Re: Usefulness of T2 BPOs Feb 9, 2007, 23:54
Feb 9, 2007, 23:54

Yup, excellent post. Sounds like a devistating combination of weaponry. I wonder how many times BoB made use of that advantage in all their battles. The devs know. It's just a damn database.

s{Being spammed to a forum near you, www.hammiestudios.com .. complain here at www.siteadvisor.com/sites/hammiestudios.com
hammiestudios this buddy !

No subject
Feb 9, 2007, 22:44
No subject Feb 9, 2007, 22:44
Feb 9, 2007, 22:44

jesus, people - look to the USA! time IS money..

now get out there and buy some flags so we can bomb shit

Feb 9, 2007, 22:27
Re: Usefulness of T2 BPOs Feb 9, 2007, 22:27
Feb 9, 2007, 22:27

Great post Oohwha Schipperman, thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Constantly amazed.
Feb 9, 2007, 22:15
Re: Constantly amazed. Feb 9, 2007, 22:15
Feb 9, 2007, 22:15

It never once has ceased to amaze me, exactly how into these games some people can get. The game is an economics/business simulator with a pretty graphics engine and some combat, and people treat it as if their real money is on the line.

There IS real money on the line--$15 a month and a lot of wasted time.

Although I no longer play this game, this kind of pisses me off. I can't believe they're not firing the developer caught cheating. He claimed he was "sorry"--but, if he were truly sorry, he wouldn't have waited for someone to blow the whistle. I am quite certain, however, that he's sorry he got caught.
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 22:22.

Feb 9, 2007, 21:12
Re: LOL Feb 9, 2007, 21:12
Feb 9, 2007, 21:12

However i wont knock the game as im sure it appeals to alot of ppl cause it one of the most popular mmorpg ever made, just not for me, tisk tisk.

Not really, it's actually on the lower end of the popularity scale according to mmogchart.com. However, it accumulated a player base slowly and steadily, unlike most other MMOGs, which typically peak in subscribers within a few months of launch and slowly tail off after that. I would be very surprised if that trend continues after this scandal.

I sure hope this Eve online will not have that nasty multiplayer crash bug,

Blue, please, out of respect for your site and its history, ban this fool.
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 21:13.

Feb 9, 2007, 21:01
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 21:01
Feb 9, 2007, 21:01

Yeah, I vote for a reset. That or open a fresh new server. I'd bet dollars to donuts everyone would migrate to it PDQ.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton, Jr., Talladega Nights
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 9, 2007, 20:59
Re: Usefulness of T2 BPOs Feb 9, 2007, 20:59
Feb 9, 2007, 20:59

Thx, just the post I was looking for.

No subject
Feb 9, 2007, 20:37
No subject Feb 9, 2007, 20:37
Feb 9, 2007, 20:37

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 10, 13:52.
http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Feb 9, 2007, 20:01
Re: LOL Feb 9, 2007, 20:01
Feb 9, 2007, 20:01

Some people have played for years, now how many hundreds of dollars is that for a game. Sheesh

Why doesn't a game company just double it's development team make the most killer games and sell them for a hundred and get it over with. Obviously their are plenty willing to spend many hundreds to play a good game.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older