Out of the Blue

I messed with the spacing between stories yesterday. I'll probably just switch at back to how it was, but if I experiment with other variations on this, feel free to offer feedback.

Spaced Links! Thanks Ant.
Links of the Morning: Napoleon Dynamite Lip Balm*. Thanks Neatorama.
Mail A Fart. Thanks Compfused.com.
Stories: Danger Out of the Gate. What's Behind the High Rate of Deaths Among U.S. Racehorses?
How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish.
Humane Society: 'Faux fur' often dog hair.
Science!: CO2 can be stored in aquifers for years: study.
Wizardry at Harvard Physicists Move Light (registration required).
Uncovering Prehistoric Hurricane Activity.
Media: How to Shower - Men & Women. The text meme set to video.
Humvee Traffic Driving in Iraq. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Follow-ups: Hunt for missing Microsoft engineer moves south.
Judge Bars Simpson From Cashing in on Book.

* "Just borrow some from the school nurse. I know she has like five sticks in her drawer."

View : : :
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Feb 9, 2007, 12:12
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 12:12
Feb 9, 2007, 12:12

Reminds me of an old joke.

Apparently Kanniball didn't read the whole string.

FUNGS 53 http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

Feb 9, 2007, 10:24
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 10:24
Feb 9, 2007, 10:24

Apart from anything else, urine is sterile, or at least it should be if your kidneys etc. are working ok. I'm not advocating drinking it, and of course I'd wash it off, but if you're unable to pee without getting it all over your hands there's something wrong that no amount of hygiene will solve.

Reminds me of an old joke.

A Navy Ensign is in the bathroom and sees a Marine finishing up and walking out without washing his hands.

The Ensign shakes his head and says "You know, in the Navy they teach us to wash our hands after using the head."

The Marine says "Yeh? Well in the Marines they teach us to not piss on our hands."

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 10:50.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Feb 9, 2007, 08:39
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 08:39
Feb 9, 2007, 08:39

I totally agree that some germ exposure is good to build up immunity. However, I'm all about reducing exposure to the nastier germs.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

Feb 9, 2007, 06:08
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2007, 06:08
Feb 9, 2007, 06:08

Apart from anything else, urine is sterile, or at least it should be if your kidneys etc. are working ok. I'm not advocating drinking it, and of course I'd wash it off, but if you're unable to pee without getting it all over your hands there's something wrong that no amount of hygiene will solve.

Well at least I know where my dick has been, which is always cleaner than where my hands have been.
Precisely. From the shower into some clean underwear.

It's just a good time to wash your hands, period. You touch so many things on a regular basis
True, though I wash before preparing food and keep my hands out of my mouth as much as possible.

Also, I'm sure the increase in allergies over the last 25 years is down to an obsession with hygiene beyond what is required to keep pathogens out and a pleasant smell for all who you encounter. I sigh every time I see new mothers chasing their toddlers around with wet wipes just because they touched something non-sterile. Kids need exposure to these things early on.

Best OotB evar?!

www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

No subject
Feb 9, 2007, 01:16
nin
No subject Feb 9, 2007, 01:16
Feb 9, 2007, 01:16
nin

the guy with the mustache is a child mollester

Feb 8, 2007, 23:32
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 23:32
Feb 8, 2007, 23:32

Penn & Tellers 'Bullshit' also did a study on people sitting on public toilets. They then took samples from their buttocks and found pretty much zilch for germs. They also found that people had way more germs on their hands than their buts.

Of course some of their experiments are about as scientific as the Mythbusters.

Feb 8, 2007, 23:22
Enahs

Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 23:22
Feb 8, 2007, 23:22
 Enahs

The more I think about it the more I think it was an early episode of Mythbusters.

It was. And as much as I love MythBusters, a lot of their experiments are flat wrong.
Maybe they get the correct answer, but a lot of times their methods are severely lacking; and thus a lot of the conclusions they come to are at the minimum questionable.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Feb 8, 2007, 22:52
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 22:52
Feb 8, 2007, 22:52

I've heard of this with the toilets in your home also. There's a recommendation out there somewhere that you shouldn't keep your tooth brush closer than 2 meters from your toilet.

Though I can't remember where I've seen it, I know this has been tested and disproved. The testing actually kept a toothbrush in the kitchen as a control and it ended up in worse shape than the one in the bathroom.

The more I think about it the more I think it was an early episode of Mythbusters.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
We want Blue's News T-shirts!

Feb 8, 2007, 22:43
Jim
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 22:43
Feb 8, 2007, 22:43
Jim

This is because most of the industrial flushers out there swirl the water into the toilet with sufficient force and turbulence to literally aerosolize some of the fecal matter in the bowl, dispersing it into the air.

I've heard of this with the toilets in your home also. There's a recommendation out there somewhere that you shouldn't keep your tooth brush closer than 2 meters from your toilet.

Jim

Feb 8, 2007, 21:15
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 21:15
Feb 8, 2007, 21:15

Man, I had no idea there were so many dangers in going to the bathroom. From now on, I'm just going to pee my pants.

No subject
Feb 8, 2007, 20:48
nin
No subject Feb 8, 2007, 20:48
Feb 8, 2007, 20:48
nin

god you guys are afraid of everything

Feb 8, 2007, 20:32
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 20:32
Feb 8, 2007, 20:32

While I usually wash my hands after a restroom visit, I think its mostly a feelgood thing to do rather than useful in terms of hygeine. Think about what you do when you wash your hands: 1. dirty hands: open the faucet. 2. rinse/soap/rinse. Hands now clean. 3. close faucet...WAIT A MINUTE- that's the same faucet you just touched with dirty hands. So you just "undid" your handwashing. 4. Grab a towel (many restrooms have manually activiated towel dispenser, so another dirty contact point. So unless the towels have hand sanitizer on them (nearly all do not), you've really done nothing. 5. open restroom door and waslk out. Well there goes another dirty contact.

Obviously, you haven't mastered the use of the side of your hands/wrist as well as effective paper towel management.

Turn off the water with either the side of your hand or using a paper towel. Dispose of the paper towel post turning off water and opening the door to the restroom.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

Feb 8, 2007, 20:29
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 20:29
Feb 8, 2007, 20:29

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that some exposure to germs is GOOD for you. Constantly washing your hands is an excellent way to make sure that when you are exposed to something bad, your body will not have built up much resistance. The more bugs you're exposed to, the stronger your immune system is.

I personally pay minimal attention to such matters, mostly out of societal conventions, and also make sure to avoid anti-bacterial products. I believe this is a major reason why I rarely ever get sick. I never get a flu vaccination, and haven't had the flu in over 20 years, and when I catch a cold, it usually lasts hours with the worst symptom being a sore throat. I honestly can't remember the last time I got truly sick.

Feb 8, 2007, 20:20
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 20:20
Feb 8, 2007, 20:20

Look, all of you: wash your damn hands, you filthy unwashed heathens!

-----------------------------------
Is Vista just Windows XP Service Pack 3 with eye candy?
hammiestudios homepage www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Feb 8, 2007, 20:01
nin

Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 20:01
Feb 8, 2007, 20:01
 nin

There are times when I really wish I'd just skipped my daily read of the OotB thread. Today is one of those days.

I'd rather not examine my reasons for reading the entire thread after I read the first few pee posts, though.

Like watching a bad car wreck, huh? You KNOW it's gonna be ugly, but do you turn away? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://yearzero.nin.com/

Feb 8, 2007, 19:20
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 19:20
Feb 8, 2007, 19:20

Don't those Humvee's come with a horn?

Yes they do. You can hear it on the video. It's just not the manly type of horn you'd expect out of a HMMWV. It's more of a 'please get out of my way, I'm so wittle...' sounding thing. Personally, I think they need to retrofit a 1kdb air horn onto the thing.. You know the type, the kind that shatters glass at 1 km? =)

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

Feb 8, 2007, 18:38
Enahs

Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 18:38
Feb 8, 2007, 18:38
 Enahs

Around my school, in the chemistry department because we handle chemicals all the time, that can get on our hands, and can be dangerous. Every bathroom in the chemistry department has been updated so there is no doors, just that L shaped hallway so nobody can see in. At at the exit/entrance of the bathroom is a motion activated hand sanitizer dispenser. Its sweet. You do not have to worry about dying your penis yellow or purple (which parts of my hand currently are). You still have to wash your hand lots in chemistry, but I think every bathroom should have those. For those lazy people like Dick Hands over there, we could probably cut down the occurrence of the "common" cold by FG% (I know that is not a number, but a made up statistic is a made up statistic).

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js
This comment was edited on Feb 8, 18:38.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Feb 8, 2007, 18:33
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 18:33
Feb 8, 2007, 18:33

There are times when I really wish I'd just skipped my daily read of the OotB thread. Today is one of those days.

I'd rather not examine my reasons for reading the entire thread after I read the first few pee posts, though.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
We want Blue's News T-shirts!

No subject
Feb 8, 2007, 18:18
nin
No subject Feb 8, 2007, 18:18
Feb 8, 2007, 18:18
nin

no amount of spacing will hide the fact that the layout for this website is horribly outdated and obsolete. blue will have to start seeking out a real job in the next few months.

Feb 8, 2007, 17:58
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 17:58
Feb 8, 2007, 17:58

Don't those Humvee's come with a horn?

People that do onsite desktop support might want to think about washing their hands, at least before lunch. Touching all those keyboards can be a great way to get a little bit of everything.

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older