WoW: Burning Crusade on Fire

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Shatters Day-1 Sales Record is a press release that wows us with word that the new WoW expansion sold more copies in its first 24 hours than many games will sell in a lifetime, with more that 2.4 million copies sold:
Day-one sales totals on both continents were similar, with an estimated total of nearly 1.2 million copies sold on the first day in North America and an estimated total of more than 1.1 million copies sold in Europe within the first 24 hours of launch(a). By the end of the first day of availability on both continents, a total of more than 1.7 million players had already logged in and upgraded World of Warcraft to play The Burning Crusade.
View : : :
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Prez
Jan 24, 2007, 20:00
Prez

Re: Prez Jan 24, 2007, 20:00
Jan 24, 2007, 20:00
 Prez

Yeah - I've heard that a lot. WoW just has that 'something' that turns normal MMO-haters like myself into MMO junkies!

I would probably end up liking it myself. It's got more to do with the fact that I don't want to feel married to a game once I start playing. I guess I fear commitment!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Prez
Jan 24, 2007, 15:18
Re: Prez Jan 24, 2007, 15:18
Jan 24, 2007, 15:18

I have always hated MMO games, and probably always will. I'm sure WoW is a great game to those who are into the genre, but I worry about the effect of such unprecedented success on PC Gaming. It really bothers me that MMO's will pretty much define PC gaming in the not-too-distant future.

I just started playing WoW last October... after 2 years of poking fun of my co-workers who play WoW. As a hardcore FPS player I never thought an MMORPG would appeal to me.

I was so wrong...

Re: No subject
Jan 24, 2007, 15:11
Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 15:11
Jan 24, 2007, 15:11

All of the DAoC expansions did and several of the early EQ ones did IIRC (I have no clue about the later ones).

Ruins of Kunark (1st expansion), Scars of Velious (2nd), and Shadows of Luclin (3rd) did not add any time to your account. I don't believe Planes of Power did either, but I never bought it (Heather did).

Jan 24, 2007, 11:12
Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 11:12
Jan 24, 2007, 11:12

Finally got my "Disconnected from server" issue resolved: router firmware. Good thing too, as I was running out of ideas and was about to give up...

Great news, nin! Makes me wonder if others who I've known with this problem could have been resolved the same way. Hmmm.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 24, 2007, 10:21
nin

Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 10:21
Jan 24, 2007, 10:21
 nin

You should give the 10 (14?) day free trial a spin, you might be surprised.

I'm getting close to the end of my 10 day, and I plan to buy it...

Finally got my "Disconnected from server" issue resolved: router firmware. Good thing too, as I was running out of ideas and was about to give up...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese
www.hammiestudios.com is nothing but motherfucking spam. Try www.stileproject.com instead.

Jan 24, 2007, 10:05
Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 10:05
Jan 24, 2007, 10:05

I have always hated MMO games, and probably always will.

I never played any MMOs before WoW -- wasn't even tempted at all. I knew people who played EQ and UO, but it never really sounded interesting or compelling. When WoW was announced, my immediate thought was, "great, now I'll have to wait another 3 or 4 years before I see a Blizzard game I can play." But a month after it came out I was talking with a coworker about it and he made sound interesting enough to try it. I was hooked immediately.

You should give the 10 (14?) day free trial a spin, you might be surprised.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jan 24, 2007, 02:25
Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 02:25
Jan 24, 2007, 02:25

Sorry none of the EQ expansions did, unless you bought one of the versions that had the base game and serveral expansions included in one package.

And not to be rude, but wtf are you smoking when compairing Eve and WoW? Compair the assets needed to make Burning Crusade, to Eve's free expansions. Eve makes maybe 20 or so (if that) new ships that just need places to bolt on turrets? And if you really want to get anal, lets compair what all Blizzard has added to WoW for Free, compaired to what CCCP has added to Eve Online for Free.

Jan 24, 2007, 00:30
Kxmode

Re: No subject Jan 24, 2007, 00:30
Jan 24, 2007, 00:30
 Kxmode

Eve-Online typically releases its expansions for free... Honestly, this just feels like greed on Blizzard's part (more likely their parent company's influence... the old Blizzard would never pull this shit).

Dude they're not in it for charity. Maybe Blizzard "the company" would do but their parent Vivendi Universal absolutely won't let them. Remember that it's about making profit.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Jan 24, 00:31.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 23, 2007, 23:42
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 23:42
Jan 23, 2007, 23:42

Paranoid I can't say I remember any MMO having an expansion that added a month to an existing account.

All of the DAoC expansions did and several of the early EQ ones did IIRC (I have no clue about the later ones).

Eve-Online typically releases its expansions for free... Honestly, this just feels like greed on Blizzard's part (more likely their parent company's influence... the old Blizzard would never pull this shit).
I eat pasta!

Jan 23, 2007, 23:21
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 23:21
Jan 23, 2007, 23:21

Paranoid I can't say I remember any MMO having an expansion that added a month to an existing account. It's typically only with the 'base' product and a new account you get this.

And Paranoid.. the Draenei are the ONLY race on the Alliance side to have a Shaman.

As for racials, the same could be said about undead, night elfs and now Blood Elfs. BE Mages are gonna be interesting to watch in PVP with the racials.

Jan 23, 2007, 22:57
Kxmode

Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 22:57
Jan 23, 2007, 22:57
 Kxmode

Yearly releases works for me. Keep the content coming. Keep the levels increasing. Keep it fresh and fun!

-----
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 23, 2007, 21:41
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 21:41
Jan 23, 2007, 21:41

Edit: Didn't they release some unconfirmed info that Blizzard has a yearly add-on planned?

yeah the devs confirmed that they are moving to yearly releases now.

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!
http://www.1000to0.com
------

Jan 23, 2007, 21:28
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 21:28
Jan 23, 2007, 21:28

"heh... My Rogue, Priest, Lock and Warrior are all Undead... Cannabilize is great, as is Will of the Forsaken (in PVP), and the Undead starting area beats all, but I wish I'd made some of those classes Orcs instead.

However, I don't like the Orc/Troll starting area that much..."

I agree the Undead starting area is one of the best. The Orc/Troll area is the worst. The Draenei start is the best so far if you ask me. Problem is they are now the second Alliance race to have shaman as a class and it seems 75% of people are creating a Draenei Shaman due to the racial healing ability. I made a shammy because I never have before. I wanted to try something new. It's very well rounded. I created a Blood Elf Priest also, never had a priest either.

I am loving the add-on but the only thing that has me scratching my head is a normal expansion from any other developer adds a month to your subscription just by purchasing the add-on. But Burning Crusade didn't. Is it just my account or is Blizzard getting greedy as hell?

Edit: Didn't they release some unconfirmed info that Blizzard has a yearly add-on planned?

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 21:38.

Jan 23, 2007, 21:21
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 21:21
Jan 23, 2007, 21:21

I do wonder about this expansion.

From what I have read of it (Cant play it yet, need to finish some stuff up), I wouldent be surprised if the end game of the expansion was more than just constant raiding.

The changes to the pvp and the new arena stuff will help that.

The one thing that has struck me as interesting is the caverns of time. From what i have read of it, my thinking is that at the end game it will allow Blizzard to throw players back into unique past events, such as battles from War3 etc.

A constant stream of that sort of things I think will differentiate the WoW end game from anyone else.

just my $0.02

------
http://www.1000to0.com
------

Jan 23, 2007, 20:53
Kxmode

Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 20:53
Jan 23, 2007, 20:53
 Kxmode

They should stop with the expansion packs, and come out with a whole new game,

They might.

It's won't take long for many to hit level 70 and Blizzard is on a roll. In a few months Blizzard should start blueprinting expansion #2.

I think the logical next place to expand into would be Northrend (otherwise known as "the roof of the world"). It's a frozen island continent about the same size as Outland north between the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor.

The up-side is Blizzard fully realized Northrend for the Warcraft III expansion. This map shows the zones (and even some of the areas with in the zones
http://www.blizzplanet.com/coppermine/albums/WOW/maps/world-maps/northrend.jpg

Here's another map showing a close-up of locales along the eastern edge of Howling Fjord.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Northernd-warcraft-iii-exp-map.jpg

All Blizzard needs to do is bring this content into WOW.

Northrend is a critical component to Warcraft lore because it is home to the Lich King Ner'zhul, who once commanded the Undead Scourge. In humanoid form he appears to us as former Lordaeron Prince Arthas Menethil, who was cursed by a sword called Frostmourne. Arthas is still alive. He wasn't defeated in Warcraft III. During the expansion, The Frozen Throne, Illidan Stormrage – at the Burning Legion's orders – tried to assassinate him and failed. Clearly Ner'zhul is much more powerful. Ner'zhul was once a member of the Burning Legion but now is an independent, albeit extremely powerful entity in Azeroth. And he's still in Northrend waiting for a challenge.

I'm going to brainstorm how Northrend could conceivably work in WOW. According to the map above Northrend consist of 10 different zones. The basic layout looks like a pyramid "/\" shape with Icecrown Glacier being the hardest zone and the seat of Ner'zhul at the top. Since Arthas' base of operations was the east Blizzard could let the Horde (specifically the Undead) have Howling Fjord, while the Alliance could land on the southern tip of Borean Tundra. Because Ner'zhul proved he was more powerful than Illidan Blizzard could raise the level cap to 80. In terms of playable races, perhaps Pandaran could emerge and join the Alliance (awwww... a Panda Bear), and the native Nerubians could join the Horde (they and the Undead share a hatred for the Lich King). Since the Nerubians live underground Blizzard could create two unique zones within Northrend.

-----

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 21:26.

No subject
Jan 23, 2007, 20:47
Dev
No subject Jan 23, 2007, 20:47
Jan 23, 2007, 20:47
Dev

I've got a 1000' box of cat5e and one of cat6 (I hate the cat6, so hard to work with).
You can get them pretty cheap, like $50 a box. Much cheaper than paying $50 for a 100 foot belkin cable from compusa.

Also, the cat5 spec allows up to 100 meters (around 300ish feet) in a single run. So a hundred or two hundred or even three hundred feet will have no problems if you are carefull in the construction of the cable (dont untwist more than the spec of 1/2" for the ends)

Jan 23, 2007, 20:00
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 20:00
Jan 23, 2007, 20:00

I don't mean to be sour grapes, but the success of WoW really depresses me. I just don't see Blizzard ever really paying much attention to single player or non-persistent multiplayer with success like this.

I have always hated MMO games, and probably always will. I'm sure WoW is a great game to those who are into the genre, but I worry about the effect of such unprecedented success on PC Gaming. It really bothers me that MMO's will pretty much define PC gaming in the not-too-distant future.

Prez, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer and join the online sensation before we all murder you.

No subject
Jan 23, 2007, 19:29
No subject Jan 23, 2007, 19:29
Jan 23, 2007, 19:29

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 26, 09:11.
http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Jan 23, 2007, 19:08
Prez

Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 19:08
Jan 23, 2007, 19:08
 Prez

I don't mean to be sour grapes, but the success of WoW really depresses me. I just don't see Blizzard ever really paying much attention to single player or non-persistent multiplayer with success like this.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Rest XP FTW
Jan 23, 2007, 17:16
Kxmode

Re: Rest XP FTW Jan 23, 2007, 17:16
Jan 23, 2007, 17:16
 Kxmode

MC will be pointless when you are 70. Many of the greens, and most of the blues in the Outland are better than what you get in MC.

I've done MC a couple times but never completed. I want to finish it.

-----
This comment was edited on Jan 23, 17:44.
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older