BioShock Website, Q&A

The Cult of Rapture: BioShock is a newly opened site for Irrational Games' upcoming action/RPG. Included is a community Q&A answering some frequently asked questions about the game. Thanks RPG Watch.
View : : :
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jan 23, 2007, 23:54
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 23:54
Jan 23, 2007, 23:54

Consolitis is a real phenomenon:
Oblivion
Thief Deadly Shadows
Deus EX Insivisible War

So no bullshit bag for me. I don't need it.

Jan 23, 2007, 00:44
Re: No subject Jan 23, 2007, 00:44
Jan 23, 2007, 00:44

I really hope we don't have a horrible gui for bio shock given that it's going to be an xbox 360 and dumbed down gameplay for the console market. Death to consolitis!

Careful there, "consolitis" usually accompanies this:

http://ax2.old-cans.com/Bullshit%20bag.jpg

Jan 22, 2007, 21:53
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 21:53
Jan 22, 2007, 21:53

When I read that faq and that comment by that pr person I was thinking to myself, doesn't this person mean the opposite that the game is developed with the pc in mind and then changes made so it works as a console game? I almost cried and I thought it couldn't be.

Also irrational games is party to blame for tribes vengeance. I cry everytime I hear about that game. And I cry when I think of Invisible war too. I don't like consolitis. It's a disease and the only cure is to develop a game and make changes that suit consoles and PC. Not have the lowest common denominator (consoles) as a standard to develop for. The oblivion GUI, the entire invisible war, and thief 3 are best examples of games I played.

I really hope we don't have a horrible gui for bio shock given that it's going to be an xbox 360 and dumbed down gameplay for the console market. Death to consolitis!

Jan 22, 2007, 19:09
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 19:09
Jan 22, 2007, 19:09

so dont give me that "irrational is blameless - its all the publisher" bullshit.. thats a fucking retarded argument

Well, not from an economical standpoint. As a company, you can only perform a job with as high a quality as you're being paid. Likewise for intent and design direction. So, it's hardly a "retarded argument."

It's like Lucas Arts, Obsidian, and KOTOR 2. Crappy game? Not necessarily in its own right. Compared to the first one it's a negligible entry to the series. But laying the blame on Obsidian for a crappy game is about as flawed of logic as not blaming LA for coming up with the design direction and funding for the game. Of course Obsidian didn't have to develop the game, but you know, they are a business after all. And what do business' do? They intend to make money and LA has some serious backing, so they took an opportunity for that.

So your statement of squarely blaming Irrational for a game because of bad netcode doesn't hold much water, especially when the publisher is ultimately responsible for the product.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 19:12.

Jan 22, 2007, 17:46
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 17:46
Jan 22, 2007, 17:46

I played Tribes 2, and I'm not exactly sure what all the fuss is about... it's a bunch of guys float-jumping around shooting at each other. I found it quite boring. I mean, if you enjoyed it, great... I just didn't find it the uber game people make it out to be.

Based on your comment, I'm assuming you never became adept at skiing or never played CTF? Or worse yet, you played some crappy Renegades mod? But yeah, T1 is was far better than T2. Ah well, at least you didn't try T:V first.

No subject
Jan 22, 2007, 13:52
No subject Jan 22, 2007, 13:52
Jan 22, 2007, 13:52

its not that i dont think they worthy of making games.. i plan on playing Bioshock like everyone else.. altho i sure as hell aint expecting the second coming of Jesus

but yeh, im still bitter about the T:V thing - it takes two to tango, Vivendi is shitty corp, everyone already knows that.. but irrational fucked their part too

Jan 22, 2007, 11:10
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 11:10
Jan 22, 2007, 11:10

so dont give me that "irrational is blameless - its all the publisher" bullshit.. thats a fucking retarded argument

not all the publisher's fault, but definitely not fully IG's either, besides, the really retarded argument is "waah waah, X ruined game Y"

While I wasn't happy with the way DX:IW turned out either, I find it laughable how fierce some fanboys (sic.) bash the game as it didn't deserve to exist. Same about Tribes Vengeance - yeah sure it (ie. the MP part) didn't live up to the hardcore fans' expectations but this doesn't make it a shit game

nor does it tell anything about the quality of other IG games or the talent IG does or does not possess. Dislike it, ignore it, but for christ's sake, stop this "they're not worthy of making games" crusades because they "fucked up" your favourite game (and I'm not specifically referring to you space captain)

{ There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt }
|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

Jan 22, 2007, 09:31
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 09:31

I played Tribes 2, and I'm not exactly sure what all the fuss is about... it's a bunch of guys float-jumping around shooting at each other. I found it quite boring. I mean, if you enjoyed it, great... I just didn't find it the uber game people make it out to be.

Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 09:31

Not so elegantly put, but quite right... I missed out on the pleasures of bluesnews (and the forums) for months, but I see I came back to the same old bitching...

1) 'This game is shit, but it's the publishers fault, because they made the devs release it too early'... Too early... Like around the date the developer signed a contract to have it finished? I bet if you signed a contract and the other party didn't live up to it, you'd do something about it too : )

2) 'You're a fanboy, so your opinion doesn't matter'... Simply put, when someone likes a game you don't, they're a fanboy, so you don't have to dispute their claims/opinions.

3) 'This game, that hasn't come out yet, that I haven't played or seen more than handful of screenies/comments/previes sucks... Don't waste your money'... I mean sure, this is a forum... It's about offering opinions, but really... I know you're bored, but why flap your yap about stuff you know nothing about?

Ok, so I guess I'm done with that rant...

As for BioShock... I don't care about the Q&A's and comments and FAQ's n shit... I may read some... I may get some hype going... But I'm just gonna try the damn game when it comes out (I also loved SS/SS2, so I'm really hoping it's as kickass).

-Alamar

Jan 22, 2007, 08:27
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 08:27
Jan 22, 2007, 08:27

sorry, short of a remake of T1 and/or T2 with new graphics, there is/was no way a genuinely new Tribes game can be made without the tribalwar community bitching and moaning. And the obvious flaw in your argument (Vivendi pulled the plug on patch #2) has already been pointed out

you are wrong - irrational fucked up the netcode from the getgo. the SS2845 wrote a lengthy article about all the specific problems with the engine when they decided to switch over to torque

No subject
Jan 22, 2007, 08:06
No subject Jan 22, 2007, 08:06
Jan 22, 2007, 08:06

Ouch. Tribes:Vengeance and DX:IW all talked about in the same topic. What they did to those games is just too painful to even think about. While yer at it, why don't yall just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.

Those two titles are the exact reasons I don't pre-order games anymore.

I will hold my judgment about Bioshock until it gets here. I won't buy it for at least a week after its released so I can read a few fan reviews first.

Jan 22, 2007, 07:46
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 07:46
Jan 22, 2007, 07:46

They shouldn't have even wasted any time on a single-player campaign but I'm sure Vivendi forced them to.

Actually, I think they were brought on by Vivendi because a single player mode was wanted.

As mentioned, Irrational has admitted it was a mistake. I'm fairly certain they acknowledged that they just weren't the team for the project. They do great single player, but multi player isn't their thing.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Jan 22, 2007, 05:43
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 05:43
Jan 22, 2007, 05:43

Hmm, true, I don't think it's even possible to make a worthy sequel to Tribes. How can you improve upon the best multiplayer game ever? Actually, I wouldn't mind if they just remade the game with better graphics. And tossed some Bioderms in for good measure. Those mutated cows were probably the most amusing part of T2 (though, to be fair, Tribes 2 Classic was significantly better than Tribes 2 Base).

Jan 22, 2007, 05:26
Prez

Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 05:26
Jan 22, 2007, 05:26
 Prez

IMO, Irrational is awesome. I really liked Tribes Vengeance - the only reason it got such a bad rap was because of the "Tribes" part of it. It didn't live up to fanboy expectations. How could it? The 'Tribes' community is practically a cult unto themselves!

I though FF1 and FF2 were brilliant. And I have no doubt that Bioshock will be as well. Go Irrational!!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jan 22, 2007, 04:34
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 04:34
Jan 22, 2007, 04:34

Um, I've played PlanetSide and it's nothing like Tribes. Tribes was all about crazy, high-speed, high-flying action. The simple act of skiing around was fun in and of itself. The action was great too. Tribes redefined what it meant to lead your target and made combat more than just "first headshot wins." Analyzing an opponent's relative speed, direction and distance, then compensating your aim accordingly and landing a direct hit was always satisfying, especially if it was a long shot. Then you had unparalleled teamwork too, like midair flag passing or even passing the flag to a teamate in midair and then having him disc-jump off your own head and zoom across the map right to his flag (refer to supremely awesome Legacy video). No game, I repeat, no game, has come close to such greatness.

PlanetSide is just another shooter, only with stats and a semi-persistent world. The combat itself is just as mundane as all the other recent shooters.

Supremely awesome Legacy video:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2et3cKlSSk
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVU9fWNAKs
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxi8Hvx8MI

High-res goodness: http://www.tribesmovies.com/tribes/Legacy.avi

as for "they should not have bothered with an sp campaign", imo if the mp part had been decent (and not boycotted by the tribes hardcore fanbase) it might have drawn new players into the game

Unlikely. Since the single-player campaign wasn't representative of online play, newbs would beat the SP, give MP a try, get savagely beaten for about an hour then give up and go back to CS or BF. Vengeance tried to make Tribes accessible to new players but it did so by dumbing down the game significantly. It's simply impossible to make Tribes into a mainstream game while retaining all the great things about it. I'd sell my kidney to get a good Tribes sequel but that won't happen because publishers aren't going to fund a game that will only appeal to a very small, hardcore segment of the market.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 04:42.

Jan 22, 2007, 04:05
PHJF

Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 04:05
Jan 22, 2007, 04:05
 PHJF

New Tribes? Been out for a while; it's called PlanetSide. You can play up to LVL6 (no Core Combat expansion stuff) for free until March. I hadn't tried it until recently (being adamant about paying monthly fees for games) and it is really quite a progressive take on first person shooting. If they released a more modern update I'd seriously consider changing my stance on subscription-based gaming.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jan 22, 2007, 03:19
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 03:19
Jan 22, 2007, 03:19

fuck irrational

tribes vengeance - nuff said

sorry, short of a remake of T1 and/or T2 with new graphics, there is/was no way a genuinely new Tribes game can be made without the tribalwar community bitching and moaning. And the obvious flaw in your argument (Vivendi pulled the plug on patch #2) has already been pointed out

as for "they should not have bothered with an sp campaign", imo if the mp part had been decent (and not boycotted by the tribes hardcore fanbase) it might have drawn new players into the game

{ There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt }
|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

Jan 22, 2007, 02:58
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2007, 02:58
Jan 22, 2007, 02:58

Also iirc, all the complaints about Tribes Vengence were based on the Multiplayer aspect and the Single Player game was well recieved by most critics.

Alas, Tribes has always been about multiplayer so that's the only thing that really mattered. Single-player was decent but failed to capture the essence of Tribes. They shouldn't have even wasted any time on a single-player campaign but I'm sure Vivendi forced them to.

No subject
Jan 22, 2007, 01:53
No subject Jan 22, 2007, 01:53
Jan 22, 2007, 01:53

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 23, 08:29.
http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

No subject
Jan 22, 2007, 01:32
No subject Jan 22, 2007, 01:32
Jan 22, 2007, 01:32

Also iirc, all the complaints about Tribes Vengence were based on the Multiplayer aspect and the Single Player game was well recieved by most critics.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914677.asp

IR had never made a Competitive Multiplayer game before and has admited it needed more work.
Remember the publsiher is the one whom oversees the entire game and decides on release date and IR had nothing to do with the decision the game was ready.
Why did Vivendi decide to release if it wasn't up to their standards?
IR admited there mistakes and were willing to fix it, IR did Not abandon the title it was Vivendi.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succesion of violent images.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older