BioWare Episodes

Episodic content is the future for BioWare titles on Computer and Video Games has word from BioWare's Ray Muzyka from a yet-to-be-published Q&A about Mass Effect and other upcoming projects that the Canadian developer has ambitious plans for episodic content for several upcoming titles. It's not clear, but the quote makes it sound more like plans for episodic add-on/expansion releases for the listed titles, rather than the announcement that Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition, Mass Effect "and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC" would all be strictly episodic from the start, but this should all be cleared up soon enough. Here's word:
"...we have big plans afoot at BioWare for post-release and episodic content for upcoming cool BioWare games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC", BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka divulged in an interview with CVG which we'll be publishing shortly.

"There have been a lot of innovations in the PC space in online games - World of Warcraft and other MMOs continue to expand the business and we're excited about joining that world ourselves with the upcoming title we're developing down with our great team at BioWare Austin [BioWare's in-development MMORPG] - and digital distribution and episodic content".
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Still making full games
Jan 24, 2007, 02:33
Re: Still making full games Jan 24, 2007, 02:33
Jan 24, 2007, 02:33

There hasn't? You can't recognize good and bad elements in a game?

You're not thinking about what I'm saying. There has never been a distinction in quality with regards to price, which was what we were talking about.

Whether a game is extremely good or extremely crap, the publisher charges the same amount.

Creston

Jan 22, 2007, 19:01
Re: Still making full games Jan 22, 2007, 19:01
Jan 22, 2007, 19:01

There has never been a distinction in quality in gaming.

There hasn't? You can't recognize good and bad elements in a game? You might not like certain portions of your entertainment, but you can recognize quality and the innovation therein (and if you say otherwise, I refer back to your encyclopedic arguments, you know how to analyze things, guy!)

I'm going to use a very drastic example here. Two movies, Martin Scorsese's The Departed and...Dude, Where's My Car?. It doesn't matter if you don't either of those two movies, you can't tell me there's no "distinction in quality" between the two!

I placed these "premium" modules in the same bag as these horse armors

Not that they exactly belong together. You're paying for a true extension of the game, not a single item you may or may not ever use.

Additional content is all well and good but when will we start seeing Bioware games on the PC at the same time as the Xbox version?

Agreed fully. I liked Jade Empire and Halo 2 a lot, but given how much blabbing MS is making about porting them over and making one of them a Vista exclusive, there really isn't any special there that has kept either game from being ported a long time ago.

Jan 21, 2007, 14:43
Prez

Re: Still making full games Jan 21, 2007, 14:43
Jan 21, 2007, 14:43
 Prez

I like Bioware's idea of episodic content a whole lot better than Valve's.

The modules are self-contained, and optional. As Creston said, Valve can't even make a damn deadline when they cut their stuff up into little bits. What the hell?

Don't get me wrong, the quality vs. time is a good trade-off, but at some point in your business you have to learn to keep a timeline.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jan 20, 2007, 15:45
Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 15:45
Jan 20, 2007, 15:45

Just don't call it an expansion! ... !!! *stocks drop*

Jan 20, 2007, 11:51
Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 11:51
Jan 20, 2007, 11:51

I think what most people were afraid of was the fact that we like bioware stuff but dislike current applications of episodic content.

If future bioware products are simply going to feature episodic content WITHOUT sacrificing the primary purchased content then this is all good. Some people will be sceptical of this and crushbug has moved to help quell the fears.

Fair enough lets watch the space!

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Jan 20, 2007, 09:48
Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 09:48
Jan 20, 2007, 09:48

I don't see what the big deal is either. I just got into the whole NWN thing a little over a month ago mainly because I wanted to play with the Aurora Toolset.

I haven't even finished (and don't plan to) the original compaign, but have been playing some user made modules. I haven't played the premium content either, although a couple look interesting.

The point is, is that nobody'ss holding a gun to your head to play the premium modules. Also, they incorporate all of the content from those modules into the patches, such as tilesets, scripts, monsters, etc. Even though I haven't bought a single premium module, I can still use all that content to create new ones.

In the month or so that I've gotten into the NWN community, I am basically amazed at the amount of support they've provided for this product, it's really superb.

You have the option to buy some slick, self-contained, loaded with content, campaigns. I think that's a bonus. If you're not interested, don't buy it. Or maybe only one or two look interesting but not the others. The option is all yours. I can't see how any of this can be seen as a negative.

Jan 20, 2007, 03:31
Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 03:31
Jan 20, 2007, 03:31

So exactly how good does a module, in this case, have to be before it warrants a price tag?

There has never been a distinction in quality in gaming. So basically, if it's made by a professional team, it gets a price tag. This seems a fairly simple solution.

That not all such content will be worth said price tag, shrug, that's why we have review sites and forums.

However, what I've seen of the premium modules have been absolutely solid RPGs. And, like I said, the dozen or so comparable ones that were made by the community, I would easily pay the same amount of money for.

I placed these "premium" modules in the same bag as these horse armors

That's a very unrealistic comparison. The horse armor thing was fucking retarded. It added exactly zero value to the game, unless you were someone who really enjoyed watching armor drawn on a horse that you never use, and that had no effect whatsoever on the survivability of your horse.

The premium modules are completely contained storylines with voice acting, cutscenes (some of them anyways) and quite a few hours of gameplay in them. (most of them around 8-12, but some far more, IIRC)

How you feel that the two are even remotely alike is beyond me.

Just because it's made by a company and not some guy in his basement doesn't suddenly make automatically place it on a tier above the rest.

No, but the Premium modules ARE noticeably better than 99% of the mods on the NWNvault. If you don't agree, fine, that's your choice, but it's not a position that's shared by the majority of the people who have played the Premium modules.

In the end, I'm not really sure why you have such a problem with the Premium modules? NWN was a self contained, complete game. Okay, the official campaign sucked, but hey, not every game is great. The Premiums are self contained storylines made for the same engine. How does this bother you?

I can see how episodic content would bother you, because, for example with Half Life 2, you're sitting around for fucking yonks waiting for the damn story to finish, but that's not the case with these modules. You're under no obligation to buy them? If you liked NWN and want some more, buy a Premium module, or download one of the top NWNvault ones. If you don't like NWN, then don't.

How is having this choice bad for you as a customer?

The way Bethesda did it with Oblivion sucks. Horse armor for 1.99, finishing the orrery for 1.99, etc, that was bullshit. But releasing completely self contained adventures? What the fuck is wrong with that?
I really just don't see it.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 03:34.

Jan 20, 2007, 03:12
PHJF

Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 03:12
Jan 20, 2007, 03:12
 PHJF

So exactly how good does a module, in this case, have to be before it warrants a price tag? How much time has to go into it? Donations are one thing, but I placed these "premium" modules in the same bag as these horse armors, these battlefield booster packs, etc. It looks like nickel and diming. Just because it's made by a company and not some guy in his basement doesn't suddenly make automatically place it on a tier above the rest.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jan 20, 2007, 01:40
Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 01:40
Jan 20, 2007, 01:40

Uhh, evidently they can. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory comes to mind.

And that Dev was in business for how much longer after that was released? If I'm not mistaken, they folded right after?

In any case, if you seriously believe that Devs can and should make games for free, I'm not going to argue that point, because that's insane. Do YOU do your job for free?

And why is that? Is it a failure of the toolset or a failure of consumer dedication?

Uhm, how about it's an indication of just how fucking HARD it is to make a quality game? Ie, of the level of the Adam Miller series, or the Hordes of the Underdark expansion? I think it's nothing more than an indication that not just every schlep can make a good game.
I'm also not sure I understand what you're trying to imply. That the toolset was inadequate? Have you PLAYED, for example, these modules?

http://www.adamandjamie.com/nwn/

Made with the Aurora toolset. This guy is doing things with it that maybe even Bioware is still scratching their heads over how he ever managed to work that out. Especially Demon is unbelievable in scope, just in sheer terms of what he's put in to it. (A fully workable card game a la Magic, for example)

So there's nothing wrong with the toolset, and there's nothing wrong with the community, since they did make fantastic modules. It's just that not everyone has the skill, especially the scripting skill, to make top quality work. So what's your point?

High quality work deserves monetary payment. There were quite a few people on avault who offered to donate money to Adam Miller for his modules, but he turned it down.

Just because HE turned it down, why does that mean that everyone has to? Is Bioware not entitled to money for their work?

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 01:43.

Jan 20, 2007, 00:28
PHJF

Re: Still making full games Jan 20, 2007, 00:28
Jan 20, 2007, 00:28
 PHJF

Devs can't make games for free, these guys need to pay their rent too.

Uhh, evidently they can. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory comes to mind.

No, but of those 5000, perhaps only a dozen are of the same quality and scope as the Premium modules

And why is that? Is it a failure of the toolset or a failure of consumer dedication? I've seen enough extremely well done modifications over a plethora of games, and the fanbase NwN garnered wasn't exactly unnoticeable.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."

Jan 19, 2007, 23:07
Re: Still making full games Jan 19, 2007, 23:07
Jan 19, 2007, 23:07

And you completely fail to acknowledge that NWNVault has 5000 modules available completely free of charge. Who made those? Did they expect a paycheck when they finished?

No, but of those 5000, perhaps only a dozen are of the same quality and scope as the Premium modules, much less the expansion packs.

Devs can't make games for free, these guys need to pay their rent too. I have no problem with forking over money for awesome expansion packs -- like Hordes of the Underdark for example -- but I do have a problem forking over money for a few more levels with the same textures as the original game (hello HL2EP1).

If Bioware does more of the former, awesome. I wished both KOTORs had expansion packs. Mass Effect looks to be great, and if they release more content for it, I'm fairly sure I'd pick it up, provided it follows the idea of an expansion pack in that it offers new stuff, rather than the idea of an episode, which is a rehash of old crap.

Attention Bioware
Jan 19, 2007, 22:55
Attention Bioware Jan 19, 2007, 22:55
Jan 19, 2007, 22:55

I love your games. I buy them basically no matter what.

Should you shift to a strictly episodic format, I will no longer buy your games.

Hopefully this gets the message across that episodic content fucking SUCKS. The only reason it's working for Valve is because Valve has 15 million monkeys who would pay money for a pic of Gabe Newell taking a shit. You don't have that many monkeys. For you, it will not work so well.

This is a fucking stupid idea. No, let me rephrase that, this is a REALLY FUCKING STUPID idea.

We are still making full games. We are not interested in chopping them down to smaller pieces. What we are looking at is ways of extending them after retail with extended content.

*Breathes sigh of relief.*
Thank you Derek. It's always nice to have an actual dev come out here and put the record straight. Please tell Ray to stop scaring us like this.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 23:01.

Jan 19, 2007, 18:30
PHJF

Re: Still making full games Jan 19, 2007, 18:30
Jan 19, 2007, 18:30
 PHJF

Because it *costs* *money* to make them? Duh?

Professional voice actors, artists, etc. all had to be paid to produce them.

Not only that, the revenue from them was used to provide a revenue stream to enable Bioware to continue to support a game *well beyond* almost what any other company would do.

While I'm at it, I could ask why you don't hand out free money to everyone that asks for it...

Oh, right, so Team Fortress Counter-Strike Day of Defeat Natural Selection Rocket Arena Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Action Quake Action Half-Life AirQuake Desert Combat... and so on were made for money. Diiirrr, you missed the memo, but people make mods because they enjoy doing it and want to mold games to their own liking. The idea that you can break into the industry by modding a popular game is a recent advent.

And you completely fail to acknowledge that NWNVault has 5000 modules available completely free of charge. Who made those? Did they expect a paycheck when they finished?

------

Jan 19, 2007, 17:13
Re: Still making full games Jan 19, 2007, 17:13
Jan 19, 2007, 17:13

Additional content is all well and good but when will we start seeing Bioware games on the PC at the same time as the Xbox version? I used to (mistakenly) believe that MS owned Bioware, which would explain the exclusivity, but apparently that is not the case. It's nice that Dragon Age is currently a PC exclusive but I'm far more interested in Mass Effect.

Jan 19, 2007, 15:49
Re: Still making full games Jan 19, 2007, 15:49
Jan 19, 2007, 15:49

So there are 5000 free modules available, then there are your 5 with price tags. Why?

Because it *costs* *money* to make them? Duh?

Professional voice actors, artists, etc. all had to be paid to produce them.

Not only that, the revenue from them was used to provide a revenue stream to enable Bioware to continue to support a game *well beyond* almost what any other company would do.

While I'm at it, I could ask why you don't hand out free money to everyone that asks for it...
This comment was edited on Jan 19, 15:50.

Re: Very Cool
Jan 19, 2007, 14:51
Re: Very Cool Jan 19, 2007, 14:51
Jan 19, 2007, 14:51

Upset? Nah, not so much. Hey, you're the one who posted a multi-paragraph defensive response when you could've just ignored me so I'm not sure who is more upset. At any rate, I won't "bait" you anymore. Feel free to call for boycotts all you like.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Jan 19, 14:52.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Jan 19, 2007, 13:59
Re: Very Cool Jan 19, 2007, 13:59
Jan 19, 2007, 13:59

And which point would that be? The talking down, or the boycott?

Isn't it funny? In merely responding to Parallax - after being baited into making a response at all by him (you called me out, not vice-versa, as it goes each and every time with us), and even after assuming any water had run under the bridge long ago - if anything should be said which doesn't completely agree with his feelings (the original point of contention between us long ago), it somehow offends his delicate nature, and makes him upset. For years. Ah crap, that's more offense on my part, sorry! You really shouldn't take everything so tragically, but if you must, then why ask for it?

Hey I think I may have found a new signature.

Jan 19, 2007, 13:24
Re: Very Cool Jan 19, 2007, 13:24
Jan 19, 2007, 13:24

Yay, what would baiters like Parallax Abstraction have to kiss ass about, if "real developers" didn't show up and explain things away? Are you back for more, PA? Fine, I'll bite. I make a comment with the obvious suggestion that if consumers don't like something - and the more vocal in the community certainly don't seem to - they shouldn't buy it. But that apparently offends you in some way. Somehow, it's an outlandish calling for a boycott. Grow up, you spinless pansy ass.

Thank you for making my point.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Help Fix The Broken Xbox Live Marketplace: http://brokenxblm.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Jan 19, 13:24.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Jan 19, 2007, 13:22
Re: Very Cool Jan 19, 2007, 13:22
Jan 19, 2007, 13:22

Crushbug has actually managed to do what few others that venture here have - turn an angry crowd into a much more docile one. Maybe not a happy one, but a calm one.

He's been honest and patient. That's really all it takes.

Well, Derek Smart was honest and patient on some occasions (the patience was usually more the problem.) But he lost this place years ago.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Jan 19, 2007, 13:14
Re: Very Cool Jan 19, 2007, 13:14
Jan 19, 2007, 13:14

Yay, what would baiters like Parallax Abstraction have to kiss ass about, if "real developers" didn't show up and explain things away? Are you back for more, PA? Fine, I'll bite. I make a comment with the obvious suggestion that if consumers don't like something - and the more vocal in the community certainly don't seem to - they shouldn't buy it. But that apparently offends you in some way. Somehow, it's an outlandish calling for a boycott. Grow up, you spinless pansy ass.

You see, if people don't speak up, nothing changes. One day you'll learn that. Hell, even just look at this thread as proof.

"Talk down to people?" Hah, you're *still* crying about that?? Crawl back into your hypocritical hole again and hope real hard that everything just works out okay. Oh and wipe your nose, it's got something on it.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 13:20.
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older