Tabula Rasa Beta Signups

The Tabula Rasa Website is now accepting sign-ups for beta testing of Destination Games' and NCsoft's upcoming MMORPG (thanks FiringSquad), though there's no word on when this testing is to commence. Word is:
Destination Games and NCsoft are looking for a few good testers – and now is the time to enlist for the early rounds of Tabula Rasa beta testing. We will be selecting testers based on system specifications, game experience, location, and date submitted. Please note that processing your beta application will take some time and we have a limited number of beta slots available. Closed beta slots are limited to players over the age of 18 and require acceptance of a Non-Disclosure legal agreement.
View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Ultima Online
Jan 12, 2007, 02:39
Re: Ultima Online Jan 12, 2007, 02:39
Jan 12, 2007, 02:39

and the new doom 3 with the great coop mod

Linky so I can clicky, please?

Creston

Jan 12, 2007, 02:37
Re: Ultima Online Jan 12, 2007, 02:37
Jan 12, 2007, 02:37

It hasn't had this impact because it was your first. My first LAN deathmatch was Doom on linked Playstations. I've played better MP games but that particular session had my heart in my mouth

That's true, it's never felt the same way as Doom did. I played it a lot with a buddy on direct modem to modem link. We typically played coop for an hour or so, until I got tired of his frequent friendly fire, and we'd start hunting each other down.

The coolest time was when another buddy of ours was over at his place, and asked to play against me. I had, at that time, probably 2-300 hours of Doom under my belt, and he had played it maybe a few hours or so, so that was good fun for me.

According to my friend who just watched the other guy get slaughtered, he actually screamed in fear when he heard the sound of the chainsaw behind him. He also splattered just about everything with plasmagun fire. Well, everything except me.

At the end of the "match", there were about 50 or so green corpses (him) lying around, and sadly, one little grey corpse (mine). I stood over it and lamented the grey corpse ruining the field of green ones. Even took a picture of it.

Ah Doom, how we miss thee!

Creston

Re: Signed Up
Jan 12, 2007, 02:29
Re: Signed Up Jan 12, 2007, 02:29
Jan 12, 2007, 02:29

MMOs are just fundamentally weak. What exactly do they do well?....

So yeah. MMOs suck and need to either evolve or die.

Excellent summary Jerykk.
Much of this is why I just don't "get" MMORPGs.

Creston

Re: No subject
Jan 7, 2007, 04:06
Re: No subject Jan 7, 2007, 04:06
Jan 7, 2007, 04:06

Interesting, considering that testing hasn't even begun.

No subject
Jan 7, 2007, 03:59
No subject Jan 7, 2007, 03:59
Jan 7, 2007, 03:59

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 7, 16:23.
http://www.hammiestudios.com
Free Full Album MP3 Download!

Jan 7, 2007, 00:34
Re: Ultima Online Jan 7, 2007, 00:34
Jan 7, 2007, 00:34

Team-based online shooters are really meant to be played competitively in ladders. That's the only way you really feel the pressure and consequences of dying. In a competitive match, people rely on you and if you screw up, you let them down and potentially lose the match. My competitive days of Tribes were easily the most intense gaming experiences of my life.

If MMOs are going to focus on PvE I expect gameplay as good as a single player game. There is no longer any excuse not to, especialy if the game uses instances.

If the MMO is going to go the PvP root theres no reason not to offer gameplay on par with an online FPS.

Exactly. For a game that charges a monthly fee and usually ends up costing you hundreds of dollars by the time you stop playing, MMOs really should excel in most areas of gameplay. Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen anytime soon due to technical limitations and accessibility issues.

Jan 6, 2007, 21:45
Re: Ultima Online Jan 6, 2007, 21:45
Jan 6, 2007, 21:45

Not true, as I had played several MMo's before on AOL (Neverwinter etc). I too played doom coop over a modem when it came out.

System Shock 2 was my fav coop game, and the new doom 3 with the great coop mod is FAR better than my original doom coop experience, which was great btw.

So, no, UO wasn't the first, but it did it best in my opinion. If you have no value or nothing to lose on your character, your decisions are decided already.

Take for instance the Battle Field series. You die, you lose a ticket, big deal. Now if they had something where the longer you lived the larger the point bonus, or you only get 3-5 lives and have to wait the rest of the round out. That would really change the dynamic of the game BIG time.

Oh, i had one. If your team loses, you get NO points. That would force idiots to join a team/squad and get their shit together.

No subject
Jan 6, 2007, 20:34
No subject Jan 6, 2007, 20:34
Jan 6, 2007, 20:34

Huxley looks good... also looks like possible vaporware

No subject
Jan 6, 2007, 19:15
No subject Jan 6, 2007, 19:15
Jan 6, 2007, 19:15

I've been looking at just about every MMO currently in development, that have recieved any amount of press. The sheer majority of the MMOs are lame carebear WoW/EQ Clones that we have all seen time and time again. I have found a grand total of 1 game that offers something cool and pushes forward on the gameplay front. That is Darkfall. Unfortunatley this games been in development for so long its probably vapourware.

If MMOs are going to focus on PvE I expect gameplay as good as a single player game. There is no longer any excuse not to, especialy if the game uses instances.

If the MMO is going to go the PvP root theres no reason not to offer gameplay on par with an online FPS

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 20:21.

Jan 6, 2007, 17:55
Re: Ultima Online Jan 6, 2007, 17:55
Jan 6, 2007, 17:55

Opti you are a strike force developer back in the day and now you are involved with bf2142 hacking and spamming these forums?

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 18:01.

Jan 6, 2007, 17:24
Re: Ultima Online Jan 6, 2007, 17:24
Jan 6, 2007, 17:24

Oh and WoW has PvP servers so there is a risk of attack though, yes, what it needs is a PvP anywhere any faction sever to recreate the feeling of the old AC servers where it was done best.

WoW and UO are very different in terms of PvP, because when you die in WoW, all you do is become a ghost. In UO, you become a ghost and run the risk of losing EVERYTHING in your inventory, because once you died it was fair game.

WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) / GW: Denarr Trueblade / BF2: Slinky317 / CoH: Spectris (Justice)
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

Jan 6, 2007, 17:20
Re: Ultima Online Jan 6, 2007, 17:20
Jan 6, 2007, 17:20

Everything else hasn't had this impact. Sure WOW is better looking, but doesn't have that danger that we experienced in UO where when you go outside, you would get snuffed by real people.

It hasn't had this impact because it was your first. My first LAN deathmatch was Doom on linked Playstations. I've played better MP games but that particular session had my heart in my mouth. I played far more Quakeworld or Team Fortress but that solitary Doom evening had more of an impact.

Oh and WoW has PvP servers so there is a risk of attack though, yes, what it needs is a PvP anywhere any faction sever to recreate the feeling of the old AC servers where it was done best.

-------------------------------------------------
www.digg.com

UO was the bestest!
Jan 6, 2007, 17:15
UO was the bestest! Jan 6, 2007, 17:15
Jan 6, 2007, 17:15

BOX! BOX!

SBR FTW!

Jan 6, 2007, 15:26
Re: Signed Up Jan 6, 2007, 15:26
Jan 6, 2007, 15:26

Haha that's funny, Jerykk. I could've repeated the same spiel about your favorite game Oblivion!

My favorite SP game is Deus Ex, not Oblivion. Oblivion is good fun, though it lacks in the choice department. More of an action-adventure game than an RPG.

Funny, you say that about every game in every genre, and you cite the same problems in every instance. There is no penultimate game which shatters genres and gets absolutely everything right.

Ah, the joys of hyperbole. Since when do I criticize every game in every genre? There are only three genres that I have commonly berated and those are: traditional adventure games, turn-based single-player games (RPGs to be specific) and of course, MMOs. I loathe D&D as well, though that's a setting, not a genre.

And I don't expect any game to do everything right. Perfection is unattainable. However, I do expect a game that charges me a monthly fee to do many things well, which MMOs simply don't. People complain about getting shafted by episodic games but in my view, MMOs are the biggest ripoff ever.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 15:37.

removed
Jan 6, 2007, 15:23
removed Jan 6, 2007, 15:23
Jan 6, 2007, 15:23

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 9, 2010, 07:34.

Beta Tests...
Jan 6, 2007, 15:22
Beta Tests... Jan 6, 2007, 15:22
Jan 6, 2007, 15:22

...are nothing more than a way to trial the game before purchase. At least for most. Some people put in the effort to help improve the game but that does little to change the over-all MMOG.

What we need to remember is like everything else in life MMOGs are a business. There to make money and nothing else takes higher priority.

WoW has attracted their seven million plus subscribers by making their product easily accessible, well polished, and highly addictive. There is a ton of other stuff all mixed in but those are the top few reasons that WoW is King of the Hill.

One other thing they did right which everyone else just can't seem to grasp is they made combat entertaining. Not sure how to describe it but it was actually fun and kept you involved not just a bunch of "button mashing" like the rest. You always had three or four things factoring in to create combos and/or special moves.

It's been over a year and a half since I kicked the habit so I can't remember all the terms but I think you get the point.

Ultima Online
Jan 6, 2007, 15:08
Ultima Online Jan 6, 2007, 15:08
Jan 6, 2007, 15:08

I think the only MMO that did allow the most free form play was Ultima Online, the initial 6-9 months, where you could way lay people and there were safety in numbers.

Unfortunately, people turned instantly to the evil side, as they do in real life, where it was far easier to destroy, steal, maim and taunt rather than create, give, heal and compliment.

I was in a guild that played the game at EA so we had a killer T3 line while everyone else used modems or the first interaction of DSL. Basically we had a huge advantage. We were in the office, about 12 of us upstairs and down, used our phone systems and hands free headsets, aforementioned T3 lines... basically what we all use now we had the luxury of then.

So we added a sense of humor. We were all males, had female characters, wore bright colored outfits, acted gay (sometimes) and made people laugh. We would give our old loot to people starting out, showed people around, destroyed evil groups, got all kinds of recognition and praise. People knew us, loved us, it was quite fun.

Then one day we met our match, a typical dress all black group in black armor went against our colorful group. They used house exploits where we couldn't target them, but they could target us (much like BF2142 Titan mode where you can hide in the walls).

Needless to say, after an enormous battle, we were winning. I casted an Earthquake area effect spell that pretty much drains you completely. Due to a bug in the game, I hit and killed 3 enemies and 2 friendlies. In a blink of an eye my character went from pure good blue to as low red evil as possible.

Due to my frustration, and a bit of boredom being good guys, our group decided to turn pure evil. We would use our remaining good character to lure in good and bad characters and slaughter everyone. We became the scourge of the Pacific Server. We did this for about 3 months, and one day the ENTIRE servers, hundreds of people, hunted us down, used an exploit (Lightning would crash all players on screen, but not those on the outside of the screen) and they beheaded us all (literally). I have a picture of us on my system, quite a memorable experience.

Everything else hasn't had this impact. Sure WOW is better looking, but doesn't have that danger that we experienced in UO where when you go outside, you would get snuffed by real people.

It's all about money and ease of use these days. Who cares about substance.

Just like Americans.

No subject
Jan 6, 2007, 13:11
No subject Jan 6, 2007, 13:11
Jan 6, 2007, 13:11

I think pretty much everything Jerykk is saying is right on the money. Every MMO I've played is a cookie cutter of the other. Some are prettier, some have better comunities...but basically the same garbage.

I'm hoping Huxley will be a turn in a new direction for MMO's. But I'm sure I'll end up disapointed by that one too

Jan 6, 2007, 12:44
Re: Signed Up Jan 6, 2007, 12:44
Jan 6, 2007, 12:44

/Loves trashing Oblivion as well for the fake ass, superficial, depth-lacking subpar to it's predecessors, garbage that it really is.

I'm beta-testing one of those two you mentioned and yea, it's just more of the same. But it is the best the company has made since it's original. But.. thats not saying much lol.

I hope one of those 2

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 12:46.

Signed Up because I am curious
Jan 6, 2007, 12:42
Signed Up because I am curious Jan 6, 2007, 12:42
Jan 6, 2007, 12:42

I'm in two of the biggest beta tests going on at the moment. Both of which should be going retail within months or at the very latest May/June. Depending on how the open betas go of course. They (MMOGs) are all very similar. Yet they can all be entertaining for one reason or another. Entertainment is whats most important here. And most people don't dissect a game like that. Though all of his comments are true to some extent. Still it goes back to apples and oranges. You can't have most of what you want because it just won't work. And not just in a MMOG but in a single-player game either.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older