10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sony
Dec 13, 2006, 08:40
Re: Sony Dec 13, 2006, 08:40
Dec 13, 2006, 08:40

Tapes were great. Did they have hiss? Yes, but NOBODY NOTICED UNTIL NEW TECH WAS INTRODUCED WITHOUT HISS.

Tapes sucked. And yes, I grew up with them. And I always noticed the hiss -- if nothing else, you could compare it to the radio which, shock, didn't have the hiss (and since tapes or players tended to have even worse frequency response than FM radio, the audio quality was otherwise pretty much the same).

Of course, in the context of the article -- yes, the author is full of it. For portable audio, nothing else was better. Certainly not records (which sucked even more badly at the time for most people), or FM radio (ditto).

time has repeatedly illustrated that each 'time saving' device you buy actually causes you more stress, as you fill up any gained free time with more crap.

To be more accurate, what happens is that the standard of cleanliness, etc. simply gets raised. Prior to the vacuum, wall-to-wall carpet was unthinkable, and you only took rugs out to be beaten free of dirt a couple times a year.

That said... if you don't think the microwave is a huge timesaver, then you don't have kids. It's not for everyday meals, but for simple things (heating/boiling water, reheating leftovers) it's a lot better and faster than the old methods.

Clones were the primary and main cause of the PC revolution.

And the original Apple II is widely deemed to be the first real, useful, accessible personal computer. Go read the Jargon File, or Wikipedia, or any history of computing tome.

But yes, Wired has turned to complete and utter crap.

Dec 12, 2006, 19:23
Quboid

Re: Sony Dec 12, 2006, 19:23
Dec 12, 2006, 19:23
 Quboid

Bullshit. Tapes were great. Did they have hiss? Yes, but NOBODY NOTICED UNTIL NEW TECH WAS INTRODUCED WITHOUT HISS.

What, like vinyls? I'm too young to know any better (I remember hearing a CD for the first time, U2's Unforgettable Fire) but my audiophile Dad made sure me and my brothers knew tapes were bad and had been bettered for sound quality and clarity long before they were available.

Quboid

Dec 12, 2006, 19:01
Re: Sony Dec 12, 2006, 19:01
Dec 12, 2006, 19:01

Cooking is very relaxing.

Well, you have to do something with all those squirrels you shot...
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Dec 12, 2006, 15:58
Re: Sony Dec 12, 2006, 15:58
Dec 12, 2006, 15:58

Bullshit. 'Harried suburbia' is nonsense, and the writer obviously just wanted to use the words because he liked them. The suburban housewife of the 60's was not any more 'harried' by any means, and time has repeatedly illustrated that each 'time saving' device you buy actually causes you more stress, as you fill up any gained free time with more crap.

QFT

I find the time I use to make supper or meals on the weekend (3 meals a day Sat and Sun) is better than any other task I could be doing. Cooking is very relaxing.

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 11 Shot: 23

Dec 12, 2006, 15:08
Re: Sony Dec 12, 2006, 15:08
Dec 12, 2006, 15:08

Re: 10 gadgets

Why has writing quality gone so far down the crapper? It's not as if WIRED was ever a great magazine, but it seems like every writer who gets shit out of some low-rent college in the modern era spits out the same crap:

"Never mind that the sound quality was crap or that the tapes had a maddening tendency to unravel, crease and break."

Bullshit. Tapes were great. Did they have hiss? Yes, but NOBODY NOTICED UNTIL NEW TECH WAS INTRODUCED WITHOUT HISS.

"... the idea of cooking dinner in a matter of minutes instead of hours caught on in harried suburbia."

Bullshit. 'Harried suburbia' is nonsense, and the writer obviously just wanted to use the words because he liked them. The suburban housewife of the 60's was not any more 'harried' by any means, and time has repeatedly illustrated that each 'time saving' device you buy actually causes you more stress, as you fill up any gained free time with more crap.

"Apple often gets credit for starting the personal computer revolution"

WTF? Clones were the primary and main cause of the PC revolution. The Apple IIE was usually found in institutions (like schools) rather than homes, whereas clones became popular in homes and thus helped revolutionize PERSONAL computing.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 15:08.

Sony
Dec 12, 2006, 14:45
Sony Dec 12, 2006, 14:45
Dec 12, 2006, 14:45

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 14:46.

No subject
Dec 12, 2006, 12:40
No subject Dec 12, 2006, 12:40
Dec 12, 2006, 12:40

Proabably has something to do with the 2 major problems they have had first the delay and inablity to launch PS3 worldwide and the battery recall.
These 2 things are going to have a huge effect on profits and Sony's name relablity, they could be losing money for up to 2 years.

A truck is not a speech.A horn is not a voice.Occupation is not a protest.A blockade is not freedom,it blocks the liberty of all.
A demand to overthrow a government is not a dialogue.Expression of hate is not a difference of opinion.A lie is not the truth

No subject
Dec 12, 2006, 10:57
No subject Dec 12, 2006, 10:57
Dec 12, 2006, 10:57

The tvs are still overpriced.

What Sony is saying is,
"We will actively attempt to price fix so we keep strong profits can try and recover our asses on the debacle that is PS3."

Listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Squirrel Count: Catch & Release: 11 Shot: 23
This comment was edited on Dec 12, 14:24.

Re: No subject
Dec 12, 2006, 10:43
Re: No subject Dec 12, 2006, 10:43
Dec 12, 2006, 10:43

Sony is indeed insane.

No subject
Dec 12, 2006, 10:34
No subject Dec 12, 2006, 10:34
Dec 12, 2006, 10:34

"We will stay competitive but we won't do anything that damages the industry long term," said Vandenbree, who added that Sony has a "responsibility" not to accelerate price declines in a way that could hurt the industry.

You think that lower prices would make them happy, maybe more people will buy HD TVs to properly enjoy the PS3, and with the lower prices make it easier to swallow the PS3 price, or maybe, Sony is insane.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older