GRAW 2 Announced

Following the details on Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 from this morning comes the official press release announcing the game, saying "the next installment in the popular squad-based action franchise, is currently in development for the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows® PC. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 is being developed by the award-winning teams that created the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter(TM) in Ubisoft's Paris and Red Storm Studios. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 is scheduled for worldwide release in Spring 2007." A GRAW2 teaser trailer can be found on this page (the full trailer is promised in a week), and here's the portion of the announcement describing the game:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 builds off of the events in the first game and places gamers in control of the U.S. military's elite fighting unit, the Ghosts. In the year 2014, the rising conflict between Mexican loyalists and insurgent rebel forces has thrown Mexico into full-scale civil war. Under the command of Captain Scott Mitchell, the Ghosts are called upon to face an imminent threat to the United States. The fate of two countries now lies in the hands of the Ghosts as they fend off an attack on U.S. soil. Equipped with the most cutting-edge weaponry and technology, the Ghosts must battle on both sides of the border to neutralize the escalating rebel threat.

Key Features:

• Groundbreaking Visual Experience: The war zone in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter comes to life as you navigate through trash-strewn streets and pick off enemies from behind bomb-scarred structures. The cutting-edge physics and particle systems will show you some of the most intense and realistic explosions, smoke, and environment destruction ever seen in a video game. Dynamic lighting and shadows will morph as real-time day/night cycles and a constantly changing weather system require you to adjust to the changing conditions on the fly. All-New Battlegrounds: For the first time ever, the Ghosts will defend U.S. soil from a cross-border attack, taking the fight to all-new locations. The Ghosts will battle enemies in mountain terrains, barren deserts and even on their home turf in El Paso, Texas. Each environment presents its own benefits and challenges and will call for fresh tactical approaches.
    • Vastly Improved Artificial Intelligence (AI): Watch your back as rebels send their own team members to flank your position or gain vantage points by utilizing vertical gameplay to pick you off from the rooftops above. Improved squad-mate AI will now feed you more of the information you need with descriptive commands like "enemy spotted behind red truck ahead."
    • Improved Cross-Com: The revolutionary new Cross-Com 2.0 will give the player more information than ever before. You will be able to see what your friendly forces see in the top left display and the click of a button will expand that to full-screen view for a clearer and more precise picture. This will give you a more comprehensive view of the entire battlefield. The new Full Command View will allow unprecedented precision in developing and issuing tactical plans on the battlefield.
    • Expanded Support: Command lethal air strikes with jet fighters, gain mobile cover for otherwise impassable situations and replenish armaments on the battlefield using an unmanned artillery MULE. Players can now heal their team on the battlefield, including squad leader Scott Mitchell, with an all-new Medic class of soldier.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: We'll See
Dec 9, 2006, 12:09
Re: We'll See Dec 9, 2006, 12:09
Dec 9, 2006, 12:09

R6:Vegas is using UE3, so its easier to port direct to the pc. R6:Vegas pc is shader model 3 only tho. As for the cover system its been said theres a key (could be rebound to say right mouse button) that toggles cover mode, you then use wasd to pop out of cover.

I hope GRAW 2 has been upgraded to UE3 instead of the modified 2.5 engine used for the 1st one, as that mean we might get a direct port by redstorm, instead of the multiplayer mess that GRAW 1 was on the PC.

Dec 9, 2006, 09:52
Re: We'll See Dec 9, 2006, 09:52
Dec 9, 2006, 09:52

Yeah but how close will R6:Vegas for the Xbox be compaired to the PC? Or are we going to see different gameplay/levels for each version?

I'm not sure, but I don't think they are being developed by different teams this time as was the case with GRAW. But I also don't know how they'll make Vegas' cover system work well with a keyboard and mouse so they may decide to make some changes there.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Xfire: pxabstraction - Xbox Live: PXAbstraction
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Dec 9, 2006, 01:27
Re: We'll See Dec 9, 2006, 01:27
Dec 9, 2006, 01:27

The game's story also seems to be based around the complete ineptitude of your superiors as many of the missions involve you cleaning up after their intelligence failures.

So there's a simulation of the Bush administration in the game? Wow, talk about going for realism...
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Dec 9, 2006, 00:36
Re: We'll See Dec 9, 2006, 00:36
Dec 9, 2006, 00:36

Yeah but how close will R6:Vegas for the Xbox be compaired to the PC? Or are we going to see different gameplay/levels for each version?

As far as GRAW 1, once they released the patch (think it was 2 patches ago) to optimize the engine it easily looked better then the 360 version.

Dec 8, 2006, 23:20
Re: We'll See Dec 8, 2006, 23:20
Dec 8, 2006, 23:20

Hunh? I've beaten Rainbow Six Vegas and am most of the way through GRAW on both PC and 360. I think you might be referring to Vegas PC which is not what I was referring to. I was comparing Vegas 360 to GRAW 360.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 23:22.
Parallax Abstraction

Dec 8, 2006, 22:01
Re: We'll See Dec 8, 2006, 22:01
Dec 8, 2006, 22:01

Rainbow Six Vegas was the experience GRAW should have been.

you are giving praise to a game you have never even played? makes me wonder if you even know what you are talking about.

Re: No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 21:55
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 21:55
Dec 8, 2006, 21:55

I personally pay for the premium hardware to be able to enjoy the games on the highest settings and with all the features turned on, and play the game the way it's meant to be. I was turned off by the fact that the PC version din't look close like the 360

you obviously have never played GRAW on the 360 and PC. i have both and the PC version kicks the 360 version in gameplay and graphics. and i dont even have a high end PC. the 360 version lacks the graphical quality of the PC especially in online multiplay. and in singleplayer campaign when have you ever seen ATM machines that dispense ammo in the battlefield. thats just one of the odd things the 360 version has that makes it worse than the PC version.

No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 15:01
No subject Dec 8, 2006, 15:01
Dec 8, 2006, 15:01

I personally pay for the premium hardware to be able to enjoy the games on the highest settings and with all the features turned on, and play the game the way it's meant to be. I was turned off by the fact that the PC version din't look close like the 360

I think we have different opinions on what is "premium" hw.
I dont consider my pc a "premium" machine anymore. C2D E6700, 2GB, GF7950GX2 etc.
But I must say that GRAW PC look and play alot better on my machine than the 360 3rd person run'n'gun shooter play on the 360. I admit the sys-reqs are high, but that doesnt make the graphics look bad. It just means you need more horsepower in order to enjoy it.
This is the way I see it:
GRAW-360 is a 3rd person action-shooter.
GRAW-PC is a 1st person action-shooter that I have modded realism into, thus making it closer to what Ghost Recon was originally all about.
So if GRAW2-PC will follow in GRAW1-PC's footsteps while retaining the same openess towards modding I have no concern because I know it will be a better product than the 360-version which wont have any moddability. I dont see GRIN mentioned in this announcement. I hope atleast Ubi have acquired a license to GRIN's engine but also hope they wont let (the incompetent) Ubi Shanghai touch it.

Dec 8, 2006, 13:57
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 13:57
Dec 8, 2006, 13:57

I am talking about major components for gaming video card, CPU, and RAM. I understand what you are saying about the different configurations of the PC's but still they should have included all the bells and whistles into the game that the 360 version has, and if you have the high end PC to turn on all those fancy features that you can. I personally pay for the premium hardware to be able to enjoy the games on the highest settings and with all the features turned on, and play the game the way it's meant to be. I was turned off by the fact that the PC version din't look close like the 360

Steam: SpectralMeat

We'll See
Dec 8, 2006, 13:55
We'll See Dec 8, 2006, 13:55
Dec 8, 2006, 13:55

I'm playing through GRAW PC co-op with two friends and I'm currently soloing the 360 version and I have to say that it is without a doubt, one of the most frustrating games I've played in years. You spend half the game on solo missions, many of which don't make sense as solo missions, your squad AI is completely retarded, the enemies have immediate awareness of your location even if they can't see you and they also regularly seem to be able to take half a dozen shots at point blank range, but can headshot you with a machine gun from 150M away. There's also Blackhawks and other support vehicles available, but they only become so when you don't need them (in one mission, there's a Blackhawk you have to extract to that flies in on the other side of a large group of enemies and which won't fire at them.) The game's story also seems to be based around the complete ineptitude of your superiors as many of the missions involve you cleaning up after their intelligence failures. And the best part? The "revolutionary" Cross-Com is unavailable in all the missions you need it most (the sniper missions) because it conveniently is being jammed. I'm at about the 2/3 mark and unless there's some mechanic that makes the game a lot easier that I don't get, I'm probably going to give up and send it back to Game Access. I'm not normally one to leave a game unfinished that far in, but it's just ridiculous. The PC version has many of the same hangups, but it isn't so bad when you are co-oping it with friends as you have more humans to assist in what the AI is incapable of handling itself. I really hope the sequel corrects many of these glaring faults. Rainbow Six Vegas was the experience GRAW should have been.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 13:58.
Parallax Abstraction

No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 13:51
No subject Dec 8, 2006, 13:51
Dec 8, 2006, 13:51

I think it was CJ Parker who lamented that "yanks" had a hard time conceiving of warfare occurring on American soil (ala BF2). And while I rather disagree with his assessment, my argument is that the scenarios generally just suck in themselves, because for the conditions laid out you typically may as well place the battlefield on Mars as much as American soil. At least here they're saying Mexico is in outright civil war, probably a nice little after effect of the Monroe Doctrine coming back to bite the US in the ass.

Though given the list of features they're purporting as new, it's fairly obvious Clancy's only attaching his name as a trademark than anything.

• Expanded Support: Command lethal air strikes with jet fighters, gain mobile cover for otherwise impassable situations and replenish armaments on the battlefield using an unmanned artillery MULE. Players can now heal their team on the battlefield, including squad leader Scott Mitchell, with an all-new Medic class of soldier.

Something that should've been included in the first game as it were. I've never heard of a special combat unit not equipped with their own medics. And I really like the last sentence, because you know, your OIC is the last guy you want to heel. This game isn't necessarily appealing to the lowest common denominator, but it's definitely been lowered since past games.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 13:55.

Dec 8, 2006, 13:29
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 13:29
Dec 8, 2006, 13:29

as far as i know the PC hardware is by far superior to the consoles

Ah, but the problem is which PC hardware are you talking about? I'm sure if Ubi only allowed it to run on ONE SINGLE spec on the PC side it would look just like the 360 version, but that would be folly in terms of sales because only a small handful of gamers out there have a machine that's up to the level of the 360.

I thought the SP game in GRAW took itself WAY too seriously for how silly it was ultimately, and that eventually just turned me right off it.. multiplayer was a hoot, but not enough to make me interested in a sequel.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Dec 8, 2006, 13:19
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 13:19
Dec 8, 2006, 13:19

Well i just hope the graphics will be better this time. The graphics on the 360 looked a lot better than on the PC and as far as i know the PC hardware is by far superior to the consoles yet the graphics on the console looks much better. Perfect example is Gears Of War.

Steam: SpectralMeat

Dec 8, 2006, 12:50
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 12:50
Dec 8, 2006, 12:50

Will this be the game to unleash the raw power and fury of the Ageia physics card?

No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 12:44
No subject Dec 8, 2006, 12:44
Dec 8, 2006, 12:44

That doesn't seem to stop the Postal series
Postal 2 had good sales, unfortunately.

No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 12:40
No subject Dec 8, 2006, 12:40
Dec 8, 2006, 12:40

Improved Cross-Com: The revolutionary new Cross-Com 2.0 will give the player more information than ever before
Reads= Your HUD on-screen will be more cluttered than ever before
I guess I'll have to make a clean HUD mod for that game too. Unless they just happen to cancel it for the PC that is...

Re: How many more of these
Dec 8, 2006, 12:34
Re: How many more of these Dec 8, 2006, 12:34
Dec 8, 2006, 12:34

I don't have the skills anymore for twitch shooters. And I've always enjoyed tactical shooters. You keep your rocket launchers, rail guns, and jump pads, and I'll keep my tactical shooters

After all the patches this game really shines, but overall is majorly lacking a weapon selection.

Dec 8, 2006, 12:31
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2006, 12:31
Dec 8, 2006, 12:31

as soon as people stop buying them

That doesn't seem to stop the Postal series

No subject
Dec 8, 2006, 12:19
No subject Dec 8, 2006, 12:19
Dec 8, 2006, 12:19

I'm sure they'll stop doing squad shooters as soon as people stop buying them.

How many more of these
Dec 8, 2006, 11:50
How many more of these Dec 8, 2006, 11:50
Dec 8, 2006, 11:50

squad shooters do they think people want..its played out like 3 years ago

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older