World of Warcraft Patch

An update for World of Warcraft is now available, bringing Blizzard's MMORPG to version 2.0.1, a major update that revamps the game's PvP Honor System, adds new arena skirmishes, and more. The patch for the US edition is available on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), Playfuls.com, Strategy Informer, VGPRO, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Dec 6, 2006, 00:28
Re: No subject Dec 6, 2006, 00:28
Dec 6, 2006, 00:28

I call crap on the levelling times too. More over, if you did level in that time then you lost out on a lot of the ingame content, which is really a loss.

Ive played EQ2, GW and WoW, and honestly WoW is the better of the three.
EQ2's levelling curve and graphics demands were overly much for me, especially with the first major expansion, it made it far too hard to level along with all the dumbass combat changes and over used enemy models it got dull.

GW just bored me.

WoW though ive been having a ton of fun with. Its been over a year and wife and I are only at lvl 56, as the game world is truly massive, with a ton of things to do and enjoy along the way, more than most any other game i have ever come accross.

I do kinda hope they produce a few adventure packs much like EQ2, as those were one thing EQ2 did right (although not the first one).

Just my thoughts, but im really looking forward to this game update and expansion pack. (Now I just have to clear out this huge backlog of work and get back to dedicating some decent time to gaming!)

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!
http://www.1000to0.com
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Dec 5, 2006, 19:08
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 19:08
Dec 5, 2006, 19:08

sir
I've played EQ2, WoW and Guild Wars Nightfall to a great degree (having at least one maximum level char in each game)...

I have with the first two, I never got a max-level character in Guild Wars since it didn't hold my interest. It is an ok game, though.

and all three are fine games, but so far, in terms of bang for your buck, I'd say Nightfall is the clear winner. The game has managed to entertain me for over 80 hours now, and doesn't look like getting tiresome anytime soon

Here's where I say you're full of shit.

It's entertained you for 80 hours and is the clear winner? There is absolutely no possible way that you hit max level characters in either WoW or EQ2 with anything less than twice that (and likely more unless you're insanely efficient at leveling).

Given the price of the expansions as opposed to a monthly fee, you're paying similar prices for each if you're buying all of the GW expansions as they come out. The amount of content, from my own experience playing them, isn't comparable at all; GW is far behind the other two in what it gives you for the money.

They're all good games, but if cost is your main reason for not playing a more traditional MMO, you're only hurting yourself.

Dec 5, 2006, 19:00
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 19:00
Dec 5, 2006, 19:00

define skills in GW

Same concept as skills in WoW (think charge, whirlwind, etc), only a greater number with greater variety and more interaction between the skills and how they're used.

How you pair skills up is the name of the game in Guild Wars, since you can only bring so many with you when you set out on a mission/battle, unlike WoW where you can use any and all of them.

Imagine playing WoW and only being able to use the one action bar to hold your skill icons on and not being able to access any others. You have to pick and choose which are most valuable to you and which complement each other more.

It doesn't necessarily make sense from a realistic standpoint... I mean, why wouldn't your character be able to use all the skills he knows? But it makes for very interesting gameplay conventions and makes you think about different builds, much in the same way talents do in WoW only with more of a direct impact on HOW you fight than the talents have.

Dec 5, 2006, 18:55
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 18:55
Dec 5, 2006, 18:55

Both require skills, gear just helps a bit with that in wow. Having only observed gw in play, both have their merits, both have their draws and drawbacks. That being said, calling someone names for liking a game is silly.

Dec 5, 2006, 18:39
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 18:39
Dec 5, 2006, 18:39

WoW continues to make me a happy camper. Now my shaman gets Earthen Shield which looks pretty damn kickass.

saying that GW requires skill is the WoW casual whiners way of saying "i couldnt get good gear in WoW so i left and now i'm crying about it by saying it should be about skill in an MMORPG"
even though.. no MMORPG is about skill nearly as much as it is about progession and progression based gear.

again.. GW "skills" zealots are WoW casual whiners, this cannot be refuted. my word is gospel

Dec 5, 2006, 18:36
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 18:36
Dec 5, 2006, 18:36

That's all fine and good about GW...but wouldn't it be even better if they had 20 or 40 man battlegrounds too instead of just the arena play?

Also, WoW is flirting with the idea of special pre-made characters that are all fitted with the same tier-3 armor and weapons like they sometimes have on the test servers. That makes PvP very interesting as everyone is twinked to the nines so no one really has an advantage over anyone else.

Dec 5, 2006, 17:51
f13
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 17:51
Dec 5, 2006, 17:51
f13

define skills in GW

Dec 5, 2006, 17:45
nin

Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 17:45
Dec 5, 2006, 17:45
 nin

PVP in GW is different in the fact that most everyone has the same damage and armor stats. Its really more about what skills you bring to the battle and how you use them to compliment each other.

I think that's a very fair description of GW.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

Dec 5, 2006, 17:33
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 17:33
Dec 5, 2006, 17:33

PVP in GW is different in the fact that most everyone has the same damage and armor stats. Its really more about what skills you bring to the battle and how you use them to compliment each other. A bit more strategic than equipping a super sword or uber ring. For the most part, you can create a PVP only game and have just about the same chance of doing well as someone that has 200 hours in a specific character.

Now, I also think that the role playing aspect of GW is curbed because they never will have an uber sword, or anyone that is above level 20. They cap it low so there is not a great grind to get up to the big boys in PVP.

And yes, with Factions, there are a few guild vs guild battles or Faction Battles or cooperative missions where you can have 2+ groups battle together. Im not sure hte max cap, but its well over 8.

Again, dont take this as a slight against WoW. Its apparent they are working on bringing up the PVP to make it a better experience.

Dec 5, 2006, 17:06
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 17:06
Dec 5, 2006, 17:06

I took a break from WoW and tried GW: Factions for a bit. I enjoyed it more than the first GW game but it felt like a lifeless game fulled with pretty boy / girl characters that had no feeling or character to them.

I got bored and went back to WoW. Now I don't raid in WoW, got no time to dedicate to raids which last longer than 3 hours. I just spend a lot of my time doing PvP. This patch will now allow me to slowly gain rewards from this style of play.

Looking forward to playing it tonight.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 17:07.

Dec 5, 2006, 16:24
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 16:24
Dec 5, 2006, 16:24

I don't see how the PvP in WoW is shit compared to Guild Wars. I played the original Guild Wars and basically it was just arena play on a small map. How does that in ANY way compare to a big 40 man map like Alteric Valley or even Arathi Basin. They're a lot of fun. Well...fun for the Horde since they almost always slaughter the Alliance.

Do the expansions in Guild Wars (which I never bought) bring in big maps with 15 or 40 man maps? Or is it still just 5 man little teams? Ok, how is that better than WoW's battlegrounds?

And with this patch, 2x2, 3x3 and 5x5 teams can compete in arena play in WoW now. Sure, it's copying Guild Wars...but when is Guild Wars going to copy WoW with the big Battlegrounds (or have they yet? again, I don't know).

Dec 5, 2006, 16:09
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 16:09
Dec 5, 2006, 16:09

I played GW since the origional release. Now, when I say play, Im talking 3-8 sessions a month. Sessions can last from maybe 45 mins to 8 or so hours.

I started a charcter in WoW and leveled up to 17 and got so busy with work that a whole month in between sessions has passed. Now, I make pretty good money, but I have money because I make good decisions regarding what I buy with it. I have a hard time justifying 15 dollars a month for a game I may or may NOT play that month. I pay roughly 40 dollars for GW and the expansions (skipped Factions, so I have NF and Profecies). I buy games at Frys the day they are released so I never pay the full 50. (got wow for 17.99 and this was before the 19.99 price lowering).

My point is, I dont feel bad buying GW games that I know I can go back to whenever I have free time. I know that its probably more likely that I will be busy with work before Ill play 40+ hours a month in WoW so I cant justify it.

That being said, I really like WoW. Im not a super social player so I dont have the social nag aspect of the game.

Anyway, they are two quite different games. WoW has a very strong role playing, leveling and gear obtaining experience. Last I tried, the PVP was shit. GW has a very extensive PVP experience, with a lighter roleplaying, leveling, gear obtaining exp. Both are great achievements, but my work schedule doesnt allow me to play WoW enough to justify the cost.

Re: Suckers
Dec 5, 2006, 16:02
Re: Suckers Dec 5, 2006, 16:02
Dec 5, 2006, 16:02

well the problem with that idea is that I don't enjoy the pvp in Guild Wars much

nightfall is pretty fun though i'll give you that

Dec 5, 2006, 15:59
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 15:59
Dec 5, 2006, 15:59

Q - So correct me if I'm wrong as I only just recently reactivated WoW, but weren't the LFG, Arena's and these new Talents originally planned to be part of Burning Crusade and now are available to everyone? If so, that's pretty cool.

Yes, Blizzard figured even non-BC buyers would get the talents, UI options and Arena anyway, so why not. Which is very smart on their part since this may help the TBC launch, since we'll have less moving parts.

-----------------------------

$OE - they put the FU in fun!
==Boycott EA==

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 16:00.

Dec 5, 2006, 15:51
sir
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 15:51
Dec 5, 2006, 15:51
sir

This is a stupid argument, but I've swallowed the bait so I'll give you my tuppence worth. I've played EQ2, WoW and Guild Wars Nightfall to a great degree (having at least one maximum level char in each game) and all three are fine games, but so far, in terms of bang for your buck, I'd say Nightfall is the clear winner. The game has managed to entertain me for over 80 hours now, and doesn't look like getting tiresome anytime soon - but of course when it eventually does, I don't have to worry about tenacious publishers who are determined not to let me cancel my subscription.

Dec 5, 2006, 15:48
Re: Suckers Dec 5, 2006, 15:48
Dec 5, 2006, 15:48

Just go play Guild Wars and quit getting nickeled and dimed every month AND every expansion.
Comparing WoW with Guild Wars is like comparing a lovingly cooked Christmas Dinner with a McDonalds Happy Meal. Sure one costs more, but is ultimately far more satisfying.

Dec 5, 2006, 15:31
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 15:31

So correct me if I'm wrong as I only just recently reactivated WoW, but weren't the LFG, Arena's and these new Talents originally planned to be part of Burning Crusade and now are available to everyone? If so, that's pretty cool.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Company of Heroes.

Kxmode

Re: Suckers Dec 5, 2006, 15:31
 Kxmode

I've played GW and WOW. From experience WOW is a much better gaming experience. The problem with GW is too much of your fun is based on others inviting you into their teams. One night I remember spending about an hour and half in the arena lobby waiting for invites... not one came. If Arena.net changed the system around so that pairing would be automated then it would definitely be nice, but as it stands GW is a huge waste of time if your avatar isn't uber.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
http://www.bandwidthbling.com/
http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Dec 5, 15:33.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Dec 5, 2006, 14:52
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 14:52
Dec 5, 2006, 14:52

.. this is a HUGE patch. Can't wait to get home.
------------
The Dude abides.

Dec 5, 2006, 14:46
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2006, 14:46
Dec 5, 2006, 14:46

So i just went back to WoW after a 18 month break....And in that time I have played ALOT of trials....and some of the free Korean MMOs,And I have to say WoW hands down is the most polished,fun MMo ever made.
Some say grafix are kiddy? Well on a 20 inch wide (1680x1050((native supported)) All max details AA on 4 supersampling on and AF on 8 this game iS STELLAR in the grafix department!

And with HUGE expansion coming ...this game is gonna godown as the ALL time GREATES MMO ever made.Fanboy? hell no....Lover of well made polished games? HELL YEA!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older