Analyst Calls EA "Tarnished"

Analyst: EA brand tarnished on GameSpot quotes analyst Evan Wilson of Pacific Crest Securities as describing the EA brand as "tarnished," using steadily declining review averages for some key franchises as an symptom of the problem. The analyst notes that this does not necessarily correlate to poor sales at this time, while seemingly contradictorily saying "one or two bad iterations can ruin the long-term value of a license" while going on to say he still feels positive about EA as a long-term investment, before a reversal in conclusion saying "However, higher-than-expected development expenses, a ballooning number of developers and poor game quality have hurt EA's operating structure, in our view. Electronic Arts' growth rate and earnings power, we believe, will lag its top competitors in the near term." The article concludes with an update quoting EA, citing record sales, their commitment to innovation, and their investment in next-generation technology as reasons to be optimistic about their future.
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Dec 6, 2006, 07:08
No subject Dec 6, 2006, 07:08
Dec 6, 2006, 07:08

"Especially if one of those games is Space Rangers 2. It's one of the best titles of the last two years."

along with Company of Heroes.

Re: Whatever
Dec 3, 2006, 10:09
Re: Whatever Dec 3, 2006, 10:09
Dec 3, 2006, 10:09

Ubisoft isn't perfect by any means, but neither is any publisher. I agree with Dark Messiah coming out too early. Beyond Good & Evil was much like Psychonauts. An amazing game that lost a ton of money. I'd be surprised if we ever see another one in that series. But the CEO of Ubisoft was actually the Project Producer on that game so maybe his personal investment of time in it means it'll get revived.

The reason I still like Ubisoft is that they put out a lot more new IP and innovative titles than most of their competitors and they still give niche titles a home. I don't think any other major publisher would touch the Maddox flight sim titles or the Silent Hunter series. These are games that while popular with their core audiences, do not sell seven digits, but they continue to release and support them. They also almost never do exclusives and give real effort to all the platforms they release on (I always found their Gamecube ports to be of higher quality than EA or Activision titles.) I also find that while they've cut off support for some games too early like everyone else, they do generally continue to put out updates, particularly for games that didn't do well (I don't think the PC GRAW was profitable, but look at the support that's getting.)

Like I said, they aren't perfect but of the major publishers, I have the most respect for them (and to a lesser degree Take-Two due to the risks they are willing to take.) My biggest worry is if EA buys Ubisoft. They took a 20% stake in them a while back and they do have the power to buy up the rest of the company if they so choose (the CEO has admitted that they can't stop an EA buyout.) I think gaming will be forever changed for the far worse if EA takes them over. Everything good I mentioned above will be wiped out and I'm sure some of Ubisoft's best studios such as Montreal and Shanghai will be turned into EA sweatshops, thus sucking out all the talent. I'd agree with the analyst that EA's tarnished, but as long as people keep buying their stuff and now their microtransactions, their earnings will continue to rise and they'll never think about changing.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Xfire: pxabstraction - Xbox Live: PXAbstraction
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Dec 3, 2006, 06:55
Re: Whatever Dec 3, 2006, 06:55
Dec 3, 2006, 06:55

Hmm, Ubisoft's PC port of SC: Double Agent was very halfassed. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was also released prematurely. Also, where's my sequel to Beyond Good & Evil? Oh yes, I need't even mention R6: Lockdown or the fact that GR2 never even came out for the PC. Ubisoft has been on shaky ground as of late.

Dec 3, 2006, 06:49
Re: Whatever Dec 3, 2006, 06:49
Dec 3, 2006, 06:49

I have to dissagree with Ubisoft following EA.
Ubisoft did good by me personally for doing a PC version of GRAW, and not some crappy shitty port.

True. Adding to that, Ubisoft has also some fine quality gameseries which improve game by game (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, maybe even FarCry?)

EA has nothing like this anymore, their fast-food-development-rushing-out teams destroys one franchise after the other with mediocre games (BF, NFS)

Dec 3, 2006, 02:43
Re: Whatever Dec 3, 2006, 02:43
Dec 3, 2006, 02:43

I have to dissagree with Ubisoft following EA.
Ubisoft did good by me personally for doing a PC version of GRAW, and not some crappy shitty port.

You won't find EA doing that.

Dec 3, 2006, 00:14
Re: Whatever Dec 3, 2006, 00:14
Dec 3, 2006, 00:14

Everyone here knows that if EA put out a game like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, that we would buy it.

I soooo can't wait for that game to flop like the raccoon I hit driving home last night. This pre-release hype is killing me.

Re: meatforce
Dec 2, 2006, 17:16
Re: meatforce Dec 2, 2006, 17:16
Dec 2, 2006, 17:16

The primary reason for the crash was everyone attempting to cash in on the success of Atari and the 2600

I somewhat disagree, the primary reason for the crash was the depression, you will find alot of things crashed during the early 80's. Also the whole "video game industry crash" was more to do with all the arcades going under then anything else.

(I'm talking garbage on the level way beyond the EA titles many hate today, think Big Rigs level of quality)
Heh I was thinking E.T. now that was uber quality shit.

As far as EA goes, fuck'em, they only have themselves to blame, corporate hoars who only care about maximum profit. They act like they have a microsoft like monopoly on the industry and they do not. EA could fold up tommorow and it would be the best thing to happen to PC gameing, because other devs could get a piece of the pie and we would get better games as a result. Death to EA, I will never purchase another EA title and I still have more games to choose from then I can afford to buy, though I feel for you football game fans, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
This comment was edited on Dec 2, 17:17.

Re: For those EA developers reading this, t
Dec 2, 2006, 16:18
Re: For those EA developers reading this, t Dec 2, 2006, 16:18
Dec 2, 2006, 16:18

you stupid fucks can bitch all you want, but all that will do is turn EA into a big console monster, while the slow demise and death of PC gaming approaches, which I anticipate, to take over by 2008-2009.

And how long have you been "anticipating" this, exactly? Since 1994? The PC industry has been "dying" for over a decade, and it still seems to be doing pretty damn well. Despite everyone and their cat proclaiming its doom.

People are tired of games, plain and simple

Holy shit, can you make a more fucking stupid generic statement than that? People are TIRED of games? Yeah, that's why 10 million retards stood in the rain for three days waiting for Sony's shitty console. Because they're tired of games.

Where's your fucking proof? Where are your numbers that show that sales figure are dropping? Oh wait, you don't have any because you're just pulling this shit out of your ass.

and i play them for maybe and hour and feel DONE. Never to return.

News at 10 : venomhead tired of gaming. Entire industry collapses.

you watch, mark my fucking words. Gaming as we know it will turn into the movie industry

Wow, that is a truly remarkable prediction there, especially since that happened, oh, about five years or so ago. Anything else you want to "predict?" Do you think Dubyah will get to office for a second term? I'm really curious.

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 16:21.

That's not really a reversal
Dec 2, 2006, 16:12
That's not really a reversal Dec 2, 2006, 16:12
Dec 2, 2006, 16:12

He's saying EA can be a positive long-term investment, just that compared to their competitors, they're not going to be as good.

I LOVE how EA's little blurb monkey makes the following statement : "their commitment to innovation."

For fuck's sake, if there's ONE thing EA DOESN'T do it's innovate. It's the same game, year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

I think the game industry would be much better off if EA would just go away already.

Creston

True to a degree
Dec 2, 2006, 15:32
True to a degree Dec 2, 2006, 15:32
Dec 2, 2006, 15:32

WEll, gamin will never die, but it will dip as usual and may take a backseat if content doesn't change.

I had an 8088 IBM and played a few games in the late 80's, early 90's, but to say there were a ton of Apple II and PC Games between 88-93 is just wrong. Apple IIgs came out, totally ate shit, and pretty much everyone stopped creating for the Apple IIe and Com 64, Amiga at that time. Definite lull for gaming, boon for business.

Still, during that time, Starflight came out, my all time favorite game.

It all picked up again around 94 on, with the Ultima's getting a face lift, Adlib and Creative appearing, Matrox doing the first 3d vid card along with Voodoo.

It doesn't die, but man gaming in general, right now, if fucking boring and completely lacks imagination for the most part.

No subject
Dec 2, 2006, 15:28
No subject Dec 2, 2006, 15:28
Dec 2, 2006, 15:28

Ubisoft is following EA down the tubes too.

Terrorists?? KILL EM ALL!

Dec 2, 2006, 15:10
PHJF

Re: Whatever Dec 2, 2006, 15:10
Dec 2, 2006, 15:10
 PHJF

Understanding the Industry: EA is always playing catch up. It is their belief that by purchasing upstart companies they become stronger. But that's not true. They become bigger, that's about it. And they usually catch a small team of people who are broken & empty after making a dream game and they're washed out, burned out. They had no one to pace them & they cashed in with EA. The dream is over and 99% of them will never go to the lengths they went for the game that made them known ever again & EA can't figure out how to motivate them. They essentially end up buying dead ducks in the water.

Developers fall apart because EA doesn't properly support them. They suck them dry.

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Whatever
Dec 2, 2006, 14:30
Whatever Dec 2, 2006, 14:30
Dec 2, 2006, 14:30

Everyone here knows that if EA put out a game like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, that we would buy it.

The real problems with EA are much more basic than that though.

Understanding the Industry
Creating Winning Teams
Motivating People

Understanding the Industry: EA is always playing catch up. It is their belief that by purchasing upstart companies they become stronger. But that's not true. They become bigger, that's about it. And they usually catch a small team of people who are broken & empty after making a dream game and they're washed out, burned out. They had no one to pace them & they cashed in with EA. The dream is over and 99% of them will never go to the lengths they went for the game that made them known ever again & EA can't figure out how to motivate them. They essentially end up buying dead ducks in the water.

What EA needs to do in order to survive is learn how to merge people of differing engine technolgies, different visual perspective (2-d, 3-d, overhead RTS, fps) and different gaming perspective (Battlefield/Counter-Strike/Rainbow6 series type, turn-based, Role-Playing, etc.) and build a team based on brainstorming a new vision. Then you motivate that team by telling them that no matter what happens, no matter what the deadline might be, no matter if the world is going to end by asteroid in 2010, you will work no more than 50 hours in a given week ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, period.

Then you do it & make the hype of whatever that team comes up with as big as Doom3 & make a FUCKING KILLING & see RAISES FOR EVERYONE & STOCKS GOING UP & YAY HAPPY YAY!!!

But EA can't see the forest through the trees.

Re: Well
Dec 2, 2006, 14:12
Re: Well Dec 2, 2006, 14:12
Dec 2, 2006, 14:12

Hmm, Intellivision went out of business, Atari 2600 dead, Coleco didn't last, Vectrex dead, Odyssey dead.

So you're telling me that all the above consoles lasted into the 90's? DId we live on the same planet?

No, silly!!

I'm telling you that when those consoles died, it was because something far better had come along -- PC GAMING!!

And while the people who had nothing but consoles to play on at that time might have lamented the dearth of titles being developed for their dinosaur technology, those of us who were lucky enough to have moved on to better platforms just chuckled to ourselves and got on with the gaming.

There were literally thousands of PC games released during that time. Plenty of stuff to play (interestingly enough, some of my favourite games at that time were actually released by Electronic Arts, although they were a VERY different company back then).

Sure the consoles took a beating because of PC gaming, but who the fuck cares where you play your games?? As long as there are games to play, gamers should be happy, no?

So mark my fucking words: the video game industry does and will change over time just like anything else, but it IS NOT going anywhere. Period.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Re: No subject
Dec 2, 2006, 13:44
Re: No subject Dec 2, 2006, 13:44
Dec 2, 2006, 13:44

"Oh, that's right, VHS didn't exist before DVDs for that to have previously been a probable cause -- try again."

Most movie theaters in even smaller sized cities today charge $7-8 per adult for a movie. If you take a date/SO you're paying as much as it would cost to just purchase the movie on DVD. Add to that problem that DVD rentals can run $1-5.

When VHS was king, movies were a LOT cheaper to go to. And two tickets were no where near to price of a movie.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 13:45.

Re: Well
Dec 2, 2006, 13:20
Re: Well Dec 2, 2006, 13:20
Dec 2, 2006, 13:20

Naturally you don't mention the various Nintendo and Sega offerings which flourished, not too mention all the other third-party systems that came out in that time.. Vectrex and Odyssey were also much older systems that pre-date most of the other ones you mentioned and which never got mainstream popular. Try again.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
Xfire: pxabstraction - Xbox Live: PXAbstraction
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Well
Dec 2, 2006, 12:59
Well Dec 2, 2006, 12:59
Dec 2, 2006, 12:59

Hmm, Intellivision went out of business, Atari 2600 dead, Coleco didn't last, Vectrex dead, Odyssey dead.

So you're telling me that all the above consoles lasted into the 90's? DId we live on the same planet?

Re: heh
Dec 2, 2006, 12:49
nin
Re: heh Dec 2, 2006, 12:49
Dec 2, 2006, 12:49
nin

No, liberals like YOU are the problem. What have you got against making money?

Re: heh
Dec 2, 2006, 12:34
Re: heh Dec 2, 2006, 12:34
Dec 2, 2006, 12:34

How many more sports games can we take?

Good question.. for EA. Why don't you ask the company that is monopolizing those said sports games and eliminating competition from other companies seeking a license.

How many more FPS games?

Ask EA, they seem to milking the battlefield series quite well.

I find it ironic you defend EA by saying how stale PC games are getting. EA is part of the problem, not the solution.

Re: No subject
Dec 2, 2006, 12:26
nin
Re: No subject Dec 2, 2006, 12:26
Dec 2, 2006, 12:26
nin

Oh really? And what PC game company will take the reigns of PC gaming for 2007?

that's right, no one.

you stupid fucks can bitch all you want, but all that will do is turn EA into a big console monster, while the slow demise and death of PC gaming approaches, which I anticipate, to take over by 2008-2009.

Consoles won't be immune either. People are tired of games, plain and simple. Just like the 80's where consoles and Apple IIe's reigned, out comes Coleco Vision, which was too much too late. It too died prematurelym, and there were easily 5-7 yeras of NOTHING.

How many more sports games can we take?
How many more FPS games?
MMO's?
RTS's?

I have a boat load of games on my desk. Medieval 2, Splinter Cell, Gothic 3, Space Rangers 2, BF242, and i play them for maybe and hour and feel DONE. Never to return.

you watch, mark my fucking words. Gaming as we know it will turn into the movie industry. Boring, washed out, reruns and people will get tired of it. Sure a few "gems" will cum through, but not enough.

EA may suck, but enjoy it while it lasts, especially you, PC gamers.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older