Gold - Neverwinter Nights 2

Atari and Obsidian announce that Neverwinter Nights 2 is gold, and the D&D RPG sequel is Due in North American stores on October 31 and in Europe on November 3:
NEW YORK, October 17, 2006 - Atari, Inc (Nasdaq: ATAR) and Obsidian Entertainment today announced that the highly-anticipated Neverwinter Nights 2 has gone gold and is on schedule to ship to stores nationwide on October 31 in North America and on November 3 in Europe. Neverwinter Nights 2, the sequel to BioWare Corp.'s best-selling and genre-defining role-playing game, is set in the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Forgotten Realms universe created by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS), and will transport players back to the embattled city of Neverwinter. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS is under license from the Hasbro Properties Group, the intellectual property development arm of Hasbro. Neverwinter Nights 2 will be released for the Windows platform.

Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, Neverwinter Nights 2 features a new, extensive single-player game with deep character development and a powerful new toolset that provides players with unprecedented ability to create their own universes, quests and storylines

"Neverwinter Nights 2 has been an incredible game to produce, as we have aimed from the beginning to develop an immersive gaming experience that will satisfy both the RPG and modding communities," said Feargus Urquhart, Obsidian Entertainment's CEO. "Now that Neverwinter Nights 2 has gone gold, we are proud to say we are delivering a game that should exceed fans' expectations."

The Neverwinter Nights franchise has sold more than two million copies worldwide, is translated into 10 languages, sold in more than 40 countries and features one of the largest and most active fan communities in all of gaming. To date, fans of the franchise, which includes Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide and Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark, have created nearly 4,000 modifications to the original game using the original, award-winning Aurora Toolset. A more robust toolset will be included with the release of Neverwinter Nights 2.

More information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found at www.nwn2.com, which includes user forums, project news, development updates and more.
View : : :
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: NWN 2 cents
Oct 19, 2006, 19:34
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 19, 2006, 19:34
Oct 19, 2006, 19:34

Money and contracted jobs have a funny way of doing that to people, though don't quote me on that. Come on now, saying they should've taken the higher moral position and NOT developed the game for the sake of keeping a shoddy product out of the market is fine, and I would have agreed with that reasoning in a lot of other scenarios. However, LA is rather notorious for publishing games that are pretty subpar and rushed to begin with and they set the parameters for the game, not Obsidian (they just developed the game as they were hired to do).

That's fine, and like I said, I'm not saying LA is blameless. But if you CHOOSE to accept the terms of the contract, then YOU are the one who should be held accountable to it.
Don't cry - after the contract is over - "Well, the contract sucked! Those terms were unfair!"

Because you agreed to them.

And sure, I can understand that Obsidian needed a game to do, something that would sell well, something that would get them money in their pockets. But it's still YOUR decision to do something or not. LA didn't hold a gun to their heads.

It seems nowadays as if gamers hold Publishers as a "Great Evil" (which they are, actually), but then put developers on this "Holier than Holy" pedestal. Which is fucking bullshit. I think it's about time everyone started realising that devs aren't the great guys who used to make games for love in their garage anymore.

Creston

Oct 19, 2006, 00:04
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 19, 2006, 00:04
Oct 19, 2006, 00:04

LA set a RIDICULOUS deadline, nevermind that Obsidian tried to do too much.. that is irrelevant

It is not irrelevant, Obsidian should have then said "We're sorry, we can't make the kind of game you want in the deadline you're giving us."

They WILLINGLY took the job with a one year deadline.

Money and contracted jobs have a funny way of doing that to people, though don't quote me on that. Come on now, saying they should've taken the higher moral position and NOT developed the game for the sake of keeping a shoddy product out of the market is fine, and I would have agreed with that reasoning in a lot of other scenarios. However, LA is rather notorious for publishing games that are pretty subpar and rushed to begin with and they set the parameters for the game, not Obsidian (they just developed the game as they were hired to do).

Re: O it's ON!
Oct 18, 2006, 21:35
Re: O it's ON! Oct 18, 2006, 21:35
Oct 18, 2006, 21:35

Original release date was 2007
We have never stated a release date for Dragon Age

Maybe not officially, but (I think) David Gaider said something to that effect on the forum just after the game was announced. Just a vague "probably in 2007" or so.

But, since you guys haven't even gotten a publisher yet, I think it's fairly safe to say that it won't be in stores anytime soon

Creston

Oct 18, 2006, 14:56
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 18, 2006, 14:56
Oct 18, 2006, 14:56

The first was definately more complete and was really quite good I agree. But the second one had better writing, better fighting and a more immersive story (though they couldn't possibly have topped the 'big reveal' of the first.)

Oct 18, 2006, 09:25
nin

Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 18, 2006, 09:25
Oct 18, 2006, 09:25
 nin

KOTOR 2 was probably the best Star Wars game ever made, and definitely the best rpg

I loved the first a lot more...2 bored the hell out of me, and I uninstalled it.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.richardcheese.com/ http://www.myspace.com/richardcheese

Oct 18, 2006, 03:05
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 18, 2006, 03:05
Oct 18, 2006, 03:05

The only way I see it is both parties are at fault. As to who more then the other thats up for personal opinion but you cannot deny both of their responsibilities when they agreed to do the game.

I for one am going to hold off for reviews on this.

Oct 17, 2006, 22:03
PHJF

Re: O it's ON! Oct 17, 2006, 22:03
Oct 17, 2006, 22:03
 PHJF

You're all missing the point ENTIRELY:

They canceled TORN!!!!!

/cries

------
"Oh how awful. Did he at least die peacefully? To shreds you say. Well, how's his wife holding up? To shreds you say."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Oct 17, 2006, 21:53
Re: O it's ON! Oct 17, 2006, 21:53
Oct 17, 2006, 21:53

We have never stated a release date for Dragon Age. We haven't even announced a publisher yet.

I love this philosophy.

Like I said, you blame the publisher, that's fine. I don't share that opinion.

Fair enough.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 21:53.
I eat pasta!

Oct 17, 2006, 21:49
Re: O it's ON! Oct 17, 2006, 21:49
Oct 17, 2006, 21:49

Original release date was 2007

We have never stated a release date for Dragon Age. We haven't even announced a publisher yet.

Derek French
Technical Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

Oct 17, 2006, 21:28
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 21:28
Oct 17, 2006, 21:28

LA set a RIDICULOUS deadline, nevermind that Obsidian tried to do too much.. that is irrelevant

It is not irrelevant, Obsidian should have then said "We're sorry, we can't make the kind of game you want in the deadline you're giving us."

They WILLINGLY took the job with a one year deadline.

As for the expectations, they could have released Kotor2 as being nothing more than Kotor1 with just a new story, nothing new whatsoever, and it would have sold 5 million copies.

Like I said, you blame the publisher, that's fine. I don't share that opinion. And I hope, for your sake, that you're not getting burned again on an Obsidian game.

Me, I'm waiting to see what people think of it before risking a purchase. I loved Kotor2, but that ending fucking sucks.

Creston

Oct 17, 2006, 21:16
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 21:16
Oct 17, 2006, 21:16

And that's LA's fault?

LA set a RIDICULOUS deadline, nevermind that Obsidian tried to do too much.. that is irrelevant. LA's expectations were high, Obsidian knew this. The fan's expectations were high, Obsidian knew this. Given the 1 year dev cycle they released an EXCELLENT game, very few devs could make anything better in that idiotic time frame. Obviously content was cut short, but the nature of the RPG market is such that it is impossible to make a quality product in a year.

LA made an idiotic business decision trying to make an RPG in a year. Obsidian was just the fall guy, the poor dev that couldn't resist the temptation of the Star Wars license and all the idiocy that comes attached.

How they thought to take 15 months for a 12 month game is beyond my understanding.

Modern game development requires time. People that don't understand this are idiots, and are the reason we end up with games like KOTOR 2, or the myriad of other half finished pieces of shit that gamers get foisted upon them...

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 21:18.
I eat pasta!

Oct 17, 2006, 21:02
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 21:02
Oct 17, 2006, 21:02

They made a huge mistake? More like their publisher fucked up big time. KOTOR 2 was probably the best Star Wars game ever made, and definitely the best rpg, up until you got to the aborted ending. Don't blame developers for trying to make awesome games, blame idiotic publishers for thinking they have to get the game out the door now or they won't make any money.

As I have already posted 100,000 times. LucasArts TOLD Obsidian "THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE OUT THE DOOR BY CHRISTMAS 2004."
From the very first announcement of Kotor2, it was ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stated that it would be released at Christmas 2004.

Obsidian KNEW they had ONE YEAR to make this game. They set out to make a game that was way too ambitious for that one year of time that they had.

And that's LA's fault? Hey, if you want to believe that it's always the publisher's fault, and the poor devs are never to blame, that's your choice. It has nothing to do with reality, however.

Now, LA was being a bunch of fucking dicks for not allowing Obsidian to release a content patch, which they had ASKED LA to do. I'm not saying LA is some shining saint here.

But the fuckup for the shitsucking ending lies SQUARELY with Obsidian. How they thought to take 15 months for a 12 month game is beyond my understanding.

Creston

Oct 17, 2006, 20:40
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 20:40
Oct 17, 2006, 20:40

...they made a huge mistake in taking on Kotor2 and planning the game they did. NWN2 has just as much chance of being great as it has of being crap.

They made a huge mistake? More like their publisher fucked up big time. KOTOR 2 was probably the best Star Wars game ever made, and definitely the best rpg, up until you got to the aborted ending. Don't blame developers for trying to make awesome games, blame idiotic publishers for thinking they have to get the game out the door now or they won't make any money.

I have no reservations in predicting that this games campaign will dwarf the original, obviously it won't rival BG 2... but nothing does...
I eat pasta!

Oct 17, 2006, 20:23
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 20:23
Oct 17, 2006, 20:23

I don't see the singleplayer being poor with NWN2. They've already stated that a great emphasis is being placed on single player.

Ehhmm, just because a developer says that they're putting emphasis on the single player, doesn't actually make it great. For example : Unreal 2. "We're making the best single player experience ever!"
Oookaaayyy...

With you getting your own castle and having several "romance quests" (Like Baldur's Gate 2) I see this as a great singleplayer experience.

You got a castle in BG2, and it was yawn inducingly non-existent as far as the rest of the game went.

Look, Obsidian had a fairly good track record back when they were Black Isle, they made a huge mistake in taking on Kotor2 and planning the game they did. NWN2 has just as much chance of being great as it has of being crap. I sure wouldn't take the developers vague promises as a Must Buy Reason (tm). I'd just wait for some reviews from the peeps who get it early.

Btw, for those who missed it, I put up a little first impressions thing of Gothic 3.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=71937

Post #4.

Creston

Oct 17, 2006, 20:18
Re: O it's ON! Oct 17, 2006, 20:18
Oct 17, 2006, 20:18

what about the dragon age? bioware making it or it got canned?

It's not canned, they're just being secretive about it. Original release date was 2007, but I'm guessing that it'll go to 2008.

Mass Effect should be out sooner than that, though granted only for the 360.

Creston

Re: No subject
Oct 17, 2006, 20:16
Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 20:16
Oct 17, 2006, 20:16

@Igor: That ain't true, PC games come out all year, with the exception of a pretty much dead period during the summer months (June-August).

Really? Which AAA title came out between Oblivion and Company of Heroes?

Hmmm...

Sure, some titles get released throughout the year, but typically, everything gets shafted together in October.

Point in case : NWN2. Since I just got Gothic 3, NWN2 lost out.

Creston

Re: Dragon Age
Oct 17, 2006, 20:13
Re: Dragon Age Oct 17, 2006, 20:13
Oct 17, 2006, 20:13

As to consoles. I think bioware realized the market potential and definately dipped in. To call KotOR 'console left overs' is a bit rough though cause they came out at around the same time on console and PC.

Dont forget though that while they do have a big name title comming for the console they also have two titles comming out for the PC. The announced but extremely hush hush MMORPG and also Dragon Age. They are hardly forgetting that we PC CRPG fans basicly made them who they are today.

Oct 17, 2006, 20:09
Re: Dragon Age Oct 17, 2006, 20:09
Oct 17, 2006, 20:09

I wouldn't call them absolute garbage and Bioware NEVER admitted such a thing. They did say that it wasn't up to usual Bioware standards and that was because originally it was ment to only be a tutorial to the multiplayer set. Neverwinter Nights was always introduced as a toolset first and a single-player RPG second.

Oct 17, 2006, 19:04
Re: Dragon Age Oct 17, 2006, 19:04
Oct 17, 2006, 19:04

I agree it seems that ever scince KOTOR, Bioware is in the buisness of console money first, wait a year add minor tweaks and then release it for the PC Gamers.

Kotor 1 and 2 are the only games I have ever double dipped for (console and PC), just not in the mood anymore to wait for them to say 'Well, we've maxxed out our selling on the console version, guess we need to get around to porting it to the PC to squeeze more money outta it' attitude.

I hate getting console leftovers.

Oct 17, 2006, 19:00
Re: NWN 2 cents Oct 17, 2006, 19:00
Oct 17, 2006, 19:00

[i]
Eveyrone pretty much agrees (anyone that has even the slightest RPG pedigree, anyway) that NWN1's official campaign in single player mode was absolute garbage. Even Bioware admitted that. This is why the expansions were so much better, single-player wise. [/i]

Where did Bioware *ever* say that? Link please?

Just for the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the Single Player campaign.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older