Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Virtua Tennis 3 for PCs

This press release announces SEGA's plans to serve up Virtua Tennis on PCs as well as its previously announced console editions. Word is:

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (August 23rd, 2006) SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced the complete line up of top tennis stars, plus a whole host of new features destined to set the courts alight in Virtua Tennis 3. By releasing on the PSP and PC, as well as on PS3 and X360 in Spring 2007, this will be the first time this classic franchise has had a simultaneous multi-platform release.

Virtua Tennis 3 will include a host of superstar tennis players from both the male and female circuits. World No.1 and 2006 Wimbledon Champion Amelie Mauresmo heads up the roster of womens tennis greats alongside global superstar Maria Sharapova, world renowned powerhouse Venus Williams and the resurgent Martina Hingis. Rising star Nicole Vaidisova, hard hitting Lindsay Davenport and Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova complete the list of women’s headliners you can chose to either play as or against as you compete in one of Virtua Tennis 3’s many tournaments.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 11:16 MrShoop

Virtua Tennis is an awesome franchise, and it is great news it is coming to the PC. I'm not gonna complain abut how many licensed opponents - this game is king of addictive gameplay, or at least the Dreamcast version was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. net play Aug 24, 2006, 05:28 Satsu

Here's looking for net play on the PC version.

7. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 04:08 Tango

Nah, I think you could apply that idea to any soccer game if that were the case.
Only in the USA which is hardly the target market for the FIFA / football management games, just as nobody knows any names of any NFL/NBA/MLB players except Bret Favre, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth (!) outside of the US.

As for tennis, I don't know about the US, but in continental europe it's very popular, especially the WTA. I detest watching tennis but I could probably name 20 players just because of the oh-my-god-please-talk-about-something-else that is Wimbledon coverage for 2 weeks of the year on BBC That said, I imagine your reason (no 'union' for tennis players) is spot on.

Tennis games are a surprising amount of fun on consoles with more than 1 player. I guess because there's no need for split screen.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 04:10.

6. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 02:54 sponge

Nah, I think you could apply that idea to any soccer game if that were the case. I think with NFL and the like they license the right to us the names of the players and their likeness according to league and team. Tennis stars might be according to individual player...I don't know.

Bingo. There's no union or really any sort of major player's association for tennis. Lots of money would need to be coughed up.

5. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 01:01 Masa

because there probably aren't even 10 tennis players the average person can name, much less recognize.

Nah, I think you could apply that idea to any soccer game if that were the case. I think with NFL and the like they license the right to us the names of the players and their likeness according to league and team. Tennis stars might be according to individual player...I don't know.

4. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 00:17 Jow

More people than do the tennis players, most likely. Football is ridiculously popular in this country.

3. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 00:15 Creston

True, but then again, I doubt anyone really knows who plays Left Tackle for the Jets either, right?

Creston

2. Re: You know Aug 24, 2006, 00:11 Jow

because there probably aren't even 10 tennis players the average person can name, much less recognize.

1. You know Aug 23, 2006, 23:55 Creston

If a game like Madden can give you all 85000 players in the NFL, and a game like (any baseball game) can give you the 750 major league players plus the nineteen billion minor leaguers, why can't a tennis game finally pony up say, a hundred opponents or so? Is that so hard? Why, in 2006, do we still only have 8 opponents?

Oh, and Amelie Mauresmo is a guy. (I'm not even joking, LOOK at that... beast!)

Creston

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo