Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Demo

The Dark Messiah of Might & Magic single-player demo is now available, offering the promised sample of Arkane Studios' upcoming Source-engine first-person action/RPG based on the M&M series. The demo offers a tutorial along with the first level of the game, in exchange for a fairly startling 1415 MB download. The demo co-premieres on 3D Gamers and FilePlanet (registration required), and mirrors are now online on Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: A Little Late But Hey..
Aug 14, 2006, 11:55
Re: A Little Late But Hey.. Aug 14, 2006, 11:55
Aug 14, 2006, 11:55

I will wait to see a few reviews from consumers and reputable sites. But my assumption is this is a bargain bin bonus buy for me in the next four to six months.
I take it you also ignored F.E.A.R. on the basis of its demo?
I don't see the point in comparing this demo to the final product when theres 2 months of polishing, optimisation & tweaking left to be done.

Great demo!
Aug 13, 2006, 23:45
Ant

Great demo! Aug 13, 2006, 23:45
Aug 13, 2006, 23:45
 Ant

I loved it even short. I was bummed that I didn't get to fight the cylcop at the end like in the video files I saw earlier. It plays way smoother than Oblivion on my system. I love the way I can do different fights and stuff.

I have like three unfinished games, I am going to hold off
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for now.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: Installation Problems
Aug 13, 2006, 22:55
Ant

Re: Installation Problems Aug 13, 2006, 22:55
Aug 13, 2006, 22:55
 Ant

Thomas: That's one weird installer bug. I hope someone is reading about this bug from Ubisoft or whatever company.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

A Little Late But Hey..
Aug 10, 2006, 02:43
A Little Late But Hey.. Aug 10, 2006, 02:43
Aug 10, 2006, 02:43

Some of the things that turned me off in this five to ten minute demo?

The physics are a bit off... just don't feel right. Sideways movements are overly fast and more responsive then forward movements (except when running). Why, I don't know... it makes no sense to me. Plus the thrown objects have no weight... they just shoot straight out. For the most part they don't seem to have a proper weight effect though they shatter quite nicely.

Archer shots just don't feel right. Needs fine tuning. Oblivion was far from a perfect game but the archery had a good feel to it and there was enough of an audible response or even dust from the arrows impact at times. In this game it feels as if you are shooting hollow weightless arrows... except if they contact a bady then the effect can be as weird as causing said bady to fly ten feet off a platform (as if kicked up and off)... or if the bady is not near a ledge you may get no response at all, just a little slow down to the target, or they become aware you are trying to kill them.

I do like how enemies become fatigued the longer the fight or the more damage they take. And the kicking or knocking them off a ledge is a great effect but after a few dozen times I think it will wear off.

Its been said before but the kung-fu kick is a bit wacky. If you have full stamina then you can kick a bady ten feet against a spike strip.

Stealth indicator is a bit hit and miss. At times I was well within the shadows yet it remained invisible giving me no indication as to my visibility.

Footsteps are overly loud... yet enemies don't seem to notice.

The melee seems quite well done but the stealth part is lacking... so comparing this to a FPS is dead-on. Because that is exactly what this is.

I will wait to see a few reviews from consumers and reputable sites. But my assumption is this is a bargain bin bonus buy for me in the next four to six months.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 02:48.

Aug 9, 2006, 23:31
100 Aug 9, 2006, 23:31
Aug 9, 2006, 23:31

Just felt like posting that.
This space is available for rent

Re: No subject
Aug 9, 2006, 22:38
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2006, 22:38
Aug 9, 2006, 22:38

Memtest alone isn't always accurate. Also make sure to run Prime95's stress test for a night or so. If your system comes out of both squeaky clean, then your memory is fine.

Creston

No subject
Aug 9, 2006, 19:55
No subject Aug 9, 2006, 19:55
Aug 9, 2006, 19:55

Soon Windows XP will take it's place alongside Windows 2000, and you'll need the crappy new Windows Vista to play any of the latest game releases. I just love forced retirement of computer software and hardware.

Re: my impressions
Aug 9, 2006, 13:28
Re: my impressions Aug 9, 2006, 13:28
Aug 9, 2006, 13:28

"and re: Win2k discussion, I'm using it myself and I hate games that artificially lock me out (eg. I won't buy RoL until I get a new comp with Vista in the far future) since really, it runs games and applications just as well as XP and it's not nearly as bloated. But there's a reason why so few people use it, it was never intended as a consumer OS so the majority of Windows gamers switched to XP from some WinDOS hence why so many people think 2k is an outdated PoS while in reality, it's not far behind XP (they're WinNT 5.0 and 5.1...). I don't expect game companies to thoroughly test for 2k but as long as they don't *need* the few XP-exclusive APIs or whatnot, I don't see why they can't at least let stuff install on 2k, I can live with games not optimally run, what I can't live with is shitheads who have no clue claiming 2k is old news not worth supporting/using and certain companies putting OS checks into their game installers for no other reasons than to boost XP sales (but as I said, apps and most games run well enough so I sure won't buy XP as an upgrade to 2k...)"

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well stated sir. And a nice mini-review too.

Aug 9, 2006, 12:12
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2006, 12:12
Aug 9, 2006, 12:12

Even easier than replacing your RAM: Try defragging your HDDs and then redownload.

Aug 9, 2006, 10:21
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2006, 10:21
Aug 9, 2006, 10:21

Aug 9, 2006, 10:18
Re: No subject Aug 9, 2006, 10:18
Aug 9, 2006, 10:18

I've been trying to download this since 12:30 PM EDT and I still haven't found a non-corrupted version.

Sounds more like your comp may have system memory issues. A typical sign of RAM failure is when large archives fail to extract correctly. I've had this happen before even though MemTest did NOT find any errors(!) with an nForce 2 board (A7N8X Deluxe) and 2x 512MB TwinMOS DDR-400. It's weird. My system was elsewise totally stable and I had no other issues but the damned extraction failures. Then got 2x 1024MB OCZ memory and the problem went away. Check your RAM .

Re: Thread...
Aug 9, 2006, 08:45
Re: Thread... Aug 9, 2006, 08:45
Aug 9, 2006, 08:45

Sometimes the best of us will get dragged into a pointless argument. But one fit of idiocy doesn't mean a user should be grease-monkeyed(!?!). I like the DIGG style comment moderation that chokes off stupid posts without necessarily censoring the poster altogether (don't know if enough negative diggs does this...). How hard would it be for these forums to change to a Digg style system? Anyone know?

my impressions
Aug 9, 2006, 07:25
my impressions Aug 9, 2006, 07:25
Aug 9, 2006, 07:25

installation also required me to go back a bit in the installer to make the install size appear which finally let me install (it then also insisted on creating it's own "Dark Messiah Demo" folder), other than that, no problems

BTW if you already have DX9c installed it won't install anything after checking your DX files (I really hate how many downloads pointlessly include DirectX, I mean c'mon, every self-respecting gamer and everyone who buys magazines with DVDs or downloads demos from the intarweb should be able to download and install the latest DirectX himself, if required)

the demo itself was so-so - loading times didn't strike me as particularly long (tips were cut off for me too, also 1280x1024 here), key bindings would disappear after changing video settings (they reappear one after another by moving the selection over them), ingame it looked good (although for a Source game it really ran crappy on my machine), game mechanics are solid, cool combat (underwhelming spell effects tho), but there simply wasn't enough content to justify a 1.4 GB download and 2.5 GB disk space, sure you can replay the demo, like what, three times (warrior, mage, assassin style), maybe a fourth one if you wanna experiment more with the physics and environment (do I kick this orc over the ledge or do I stab him?) but even then, there's less than an hour of content in there and it takes more room than certain full games...

and re: Win2k discussion, I'm using it myself and I hate games that artificially lock me out (eg. I won't buy RoL until I get a new comp with Vista in the far future) since really, it runs games and applications just as well as XP and it's not nearly as bloated. But there's a reason why so few people use it, it was never intended as a consumer OS so the majority of Windows gamers switched to XP from some WinDOS hence why so many people think 2k is an outdated PoS while in reality, it's not far behind XP (they're WinNT 5.0 and 5.1...). I don't expect game companies to thoroughly test for 2k but as long as they don't *need* the few XP-exclusive APIs or whatnot, I don't see why they can't at least let stuff install on 2k, I can live with games not optimally run, what I can't live with is shitheads who have no clue claiming 2k is old news not worth supporting/using and certain companies putting OS checks into their game installers for no other reasons than to boost XP sales (but as I said, apps and most games run well enough so I sure won't buy XP as an upgrade to 2k...)

{ There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt }
This comment was edited on Aug 9, 07:32.
|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

No subject
Aug 9, 2006, 07:22
No subject Aug 9, 2006, 07:22
Aug 9, 2006, 07:22

TOO DAMN SHORT.

What the hell, man? I KNOW it looks pretty, and the physics are nifty... But there should have been ALOT more in there. If this is an indication of how short the full game will be, I ain't touching it, less through unofficial means.

What happened to the 25+ hour games like this? [No, I don't mean Oblivion.] It's all been relegated to freaking expansions. Bleh. If you can keep my focus at 20+ hours, you can be guaranteed I'll buy expansions [at 10+hour incriments.]

...I'm so tempted to go strip System Shock and remake it for myself, damnit.

Re: Stuttering
Aug 9, 2006, 07:12
DaZ
Re: Stuttering Aug 9, 2006, 07:12
Aug 9, 2006, 07:12
DaZ

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/808101043/m/1641047074

That tells you how to do it, quite funny really

Re: Thread...
Aug 9, 2006, 04:57
Re: Thread... Aug 9, 2006, 04:57
Aug 9, 2006, 04:57

This thread was GREAT... I'd like to thank Johnny R, CJ, Tr0n and all the usual misfits for making this a really freaking funny thread... : )

What did I do?

Is..?
Aug 9, 2006, 04:31
Is..? Aug 9, 2006, 04:31
Aug 9, 2006, 04:31

So by the sounds of people's descriptions of the demo is this just the areas they've already shown in the gameplay movies they've previously released?

If so it just makes it even less appealing to download, along with it's size.

Alamar please don't encourage them

Re: Words
Aug 9, 2006, 02:41
Re: Words Aug 9, 2006, 02:41
Aug 9, 2006, 02:41

"So no, using Windows 2000 doesn't make it any easier to bypass copy protection."

Well, there goes the only excuse for built-in OS checks that prevent games from running on w2k ...
Where did all the MS fan boys go? The "win2k sux" crowd? I like kicking them when they're down.
Of course, the REALLY funny thing about the win2k vs winxp debate in this thread, is that Dark Messiah doesn't even HAVE an OS check to prevent it from running on w2k in the first place ... I bet the people who were complaining about the thread being hi-jacked find that just hilarious.

OFF TOPIC: The farther I get in the demo (yes, I know it's very short but I still haven't finished it yet) the more I like it ... That whole castle/fortress is very cool. But does anyone else have trouble getting the graphics to look right? On my monitor, it either looks too dark, or too washed out ...

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 02:45.

Re: Words
Aug 9, 2006, 02:25
Re: Words Aug 9, 2006, 02:25
Aug 9, 2006, 02:25

One of the standard things done to get around securom protection on games when using cloned images is to have xp emulate win2k. There's more to it than that of course, but I needn't go into detail about the rest.

Except that emulation didn't actually represent 2K's coding. There are some programs and old games that only work on XP with that emulation active, but won't work on 2K itself. If anything, XP makes it easier to bypass copy protection. Uncracked Starforce and Securom apps usually require you to disable and/or disconnect your DVD/CD drives and while there are a number of tools that let you do this easily in XP, there are none for 2K. And then there are cracks that only work on XP, like the first one for Sudeki (though a Win2k compatible one was eventually released).

So no, using Windows 2000 doesn't make it any easier to bypass copy protection.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 02:26.

Thread...
Aug 9, 2006, 01:17
Thread... Aug 9, 2006, 01:17
Aug 9, 2006, 01:17

This thread was GREAT... I'd like to thank Johnny R, CJ, Tr0n and all the usual misfits for making this a really freaking funny thread... : )

-Alamar

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older