Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Attack on Pearl Harbor and Monster Truck Maniax Revealed

This Legendo Press Release reveals development of Attack on Pearl Harbor and Monster Truck Maniax, a pair of PC titles the Sweden-based developer will debut at GC 2006 (thanks Frans). The first Attack on Pearl Harbor screenshots and Monster Truck Maniax screenshots are online, and word is:

Attack on Pearl Harbor (PC)
WWII Flight Combat – Online/Offline
Featuring a sturdy online component designed for short-session multiplayer dog-fighting, Attack on Pearl Harbor is a casual, pick-up-and-play WWII flight combat game appropriate for all ages and skill levels. The game features a selection of online and offline modes with a variety of missions and campaigns putting players in the cockpits of the main protagonists of the WWII Pacific Theatre – the USAAF and the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service. Attack on Pearl Harbor will use Legendo’s proprietary network technology featuring a user-friendly lobby system and NAT punch-through features for hassle free single-click multiplayer setup.

Monster Truck Maniax (PC)
Racing – Online/Offline
Featuring next-generation PhysX technology from AGEIA, Monster Truck Maniax is a brutal, yet intuitive off-road racer that plunges players into frenzied and chaotic race tracks awash with dirt, mud, and petrol. Unlike other monster truck games, the game recreates the realistic arena feeling true to the sport and will also employ various destruction models as well as rousing audience and commentator speech. Monster Truck Maniax will use Legendo’s proprietary network technology featuring a user-friendly lobby system and NAT punch-through features for hassle free single-click multiplayer setup.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2006, 10:52 Teddy

Also need to consider the lack of competition that is handy in driving technology forward (and downward in price).

Lack of competition won't be an issue for much longer as Havok FX will be out soon.

As for MP diferences, I would imagine that if the device is sufficiently successful and creates such a difference in the game (ie destructable terrain) that there would be server filters for games - meaning some servers would be physx-enabled servers, some would not be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2006, 00:06 Alamar

I think most people (myself included) just don't like the thought of shelling out hundreds of $$$ for an extra card. I bet we won't have to in a couple of years or so when physics hardware will hopefully have become a part of the mainboard chipset (like onboard sound) or a part of the graphics card or maybe even a part of the CPU.

It's a nice thought, but the reason graphics (and sound) cards exploded onto the scene is because they're immediately noticable. It's going to take longer for physics cards to gain popularity, but the potential benefits are pretty cool, EXCEPT when you consider... What will the game be like when one player has the card and another player (in the same MP game) doesn't... Sure you can deform stuff better on one gamers PC, but stuff that goes through the air and reacts needs to be consistent...

Also need to consider the lack of competition that is handy in driving technology forward (and downward in price).

Edit: Keep missing that ...

-Alamar
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 00:08.

17. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 20:25 Syntarsus

Man I hope this is the version with Ben Affleck and Cuba Gooding Jr that movie rocked!

Since the PR release doesn't make any mention of realistic physics and makes it appear to be kiddie friendly, I would assume it is heavily based on the affleck/gooding flick.

16. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 19:55 space captain

btw - have you guys watched this video of PhysX in action?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/cellfactor/news.html?sid=6155382&tag=topslot;action;3

pretty damn impressive if you ask me.. looks like a fun MP game too

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 19:55 Jerykk

I'm running a 6800GT...

Ah, yeah, HDR completely kills the 6800GT. Back when I used one, the subtle benefits of HDR definitely wasn't worth the performance loss.

As for PhysX, I'd buy one for $10.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 19:57.

14. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 19:27 nin

While I share your sentiments on PhysX, your HDR comment loses me. What is it about high dynamic range lighting that you dislike? Are you still using a GeForce 3 or something like that?

I think it's the new "bloom" that everyone wants to use, even if they don't need it...

And so far, I don't see it being worth the performance hit. (edit: I'd rather have a smoother/higher framerate, or higher AA.)

I'm running a 6800GT...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.
This comment was edited on Aug 7, 19:36.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

13. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 19:22 FourPak

am I the only person not interested in this PhysX business, at any price?
no, J. Carmack is ignoring it too afaik.

edit: historical perspective, Pearl Harbor was the 9/11 of it's day in terms of national terror and horror. So, 50 years from now we'll be buying our consumer electronics, cars, and one would assume games like "Sim Flight: 9/11 Knockdown!!!" from Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Lebanon - the so-called terrorist nations of today.

You guys occupying body bags, keep up the good work.
Future profits (for someone else) depend on it.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 19:41.

12. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 19:17 Fartacus

Nope. Fuck HDR too...

While I share your sentiments on PhysX, your HDR comment loses me. What is it about high dynamic range lighting that you dislike? Are you still using a GeForce 3 or something like that?

11. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 16:59 CJ_Parker

im interested in a hardware solution for physics in games, as long as game devs actually take advantage of it

i imagine you would need to offload the majority of physics code if you are doing something really realistic or complex.. like destructible environments and so on

Same here. The potential is awesome if you think about it. Imagine bomb craters, realistic shrapnel from grenades, realistic damage models for vehicles etc etc etc
I think most people (myself included) just don't like the thought of shelling out hundreds of $$$ for an extra card. I bet we won't have to in a couple of years or so when physics hardware will hopefully have become a part of the mainboard chipset (like onboard sound) or a part of the graphics card or maybe even a part of the CPU.

10. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 16:27 Grounded

Man I hope this is the version with Ben Affleck and Cuba Gooding Jr that movie rocked!

9. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 14:24 space captain

im interested in a hardware solution for physics in games, as long as game devs actually take advantage of it

i imagine you would need to offload the majority of physics code if you are doing something really realistic or complex.. like destructible environments and so on

Go forth, and kill!

8. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 13:41 Elf Shot The Food

"Who could forget that fateful day, December 7th, 1941: the day the Monster Trucks attacked Pearl Harbor."

Were they being driven by Germans?

7. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 13:38 The Half Elf

I'm building a time machine just so I can go back in time and put a stop to the madness 3dfx, Matrox and ATI started.

Boycott hardware!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

6. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:55 nin

Nope. Fuck HDR too...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

5. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:46 Jim

Since I don't know anything about it, I guess that would qualify myself as sharing your lack of interest well.

Just from the brief comments here I assume that it involves proprietary (aka expensive) hardware.

Jim

4. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:44 Hpankin

Who could forget that fateful day, December 7th, 1941: the day the Monster Trucks attacked Pearl Harbor. My grandmother speaks of that day with sadness and excitement, she being a Monster Truck fan and all.

3. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:39 Jow

2. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:24 Fantaz

Hey, what's wrong with PhysX? I'll buy one when the price drops down to $100.

1. No subject Aug 7, 2006, 12:19 WebDemon

"Featuring next-generation PhysX technology from AGEIA"
...We've assured the certain doom of our game...

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo