Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

EA Server Shutdowns

The Armies of Exigo Website (thanks Frans) has word that the multiplayer servers for Black Hole's RTS game will be going offline as of October 1, 2006, saying: "You may continue to play the game up until the closure date, although certain community programs may begin to close down prior to that date." The update points to this information page that outlines more servers that are going away:

Servers for the games listed below will be shut down on the indicated dates. You may continue to play the games online up until these dates, but certain community programs may begin to close down prior to the shutdown dates.

All of us at EA would like to thank you for your valued participation in our online gaming community and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond.

If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, please visit http://support.ea.com.

Thank you,
Electronic Arts

August 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PS2
FIFA Soccer 2005 for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 Demo for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PS2
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for Xbox
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PS2
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for PC
NBA LIVE 05 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for Xbox
NCAA® Football 2005 for PS2
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 Demo for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PS2
NHL® 2005 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PC
Total Club Manager 06 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PS2
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for Xbox

October 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
Madden NFL 2005 for PS2
Madden NFL 2005 for Xbox
Madden NFL 2005 for PC
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for PS2
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for Xbox

Previously Shut Down Online Service
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PlayStation 2
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for Xbox

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

36. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 13:21 Elf Shot The Food

I just noticed that this announcement was dated May 22nd, so it's not like they're springing this on anyone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 13:19 Tango

Oh, you know that enthusiasm animosity will continue especially since most if not all of the games can still be found on store shelves.
Yeah... and do we reckon they'll change the box design to show that there is no longer a multiplayer component? Nope.

If they were hosting the servers I could understand (like a really old MMORPG). But a server browser? It's just bullshit.

34. Re: Host your own! Aug 4, 2006, 13:17 Cutter

Just one more reason to never buy EA games.

"What are you looking at, Sugartits?"
- Mel Gibson.

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

33. No one is playing these games Aug 4, 2006, 13:13 TJ

Is there anyone slamming EA who is actually playing one of these games that is being shutdown? I doubt you could even find a matchup online if you wanted to. I'm all for holding EA accountable, but it just doesn't make any sense for any company to continue a service that virtually no one is using.

32. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 13:08 MeatForce

EA Games, chargefor everything

EA Sports: It's in the game!**

**for a week or two

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

31. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:41 Riley Pizt

in reality that was a great move, since those WON games now get an afterlife.
It was a shitty move, period. WON is still up and running. A number of Sierra games like Starsiege, Tribes, Tribes 2, and NOLF 2 depend on it for their server list and authentication servers. The Half-Life 1 engine games could still make use of it if Valve hadn't crippled the damn games so that it could shut them down if it disabled WON. The last time I checked, Gunman Chronicles (which is a Half-Life 1 game that is not from Valve) still worked with WON. technically speaking other Half-Life games could as well if they were modified to do so.

You just cant expect a buisness to spend money handing out a free service forever.
The same servers which support a company's current games could also support its past ones. The extra burden is usually minimal especially when the servers just provide a server list and don't actually host gaming sessions.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 14:10.

30. Re: Host your own! Aug 4, 2006, 12:36 Riley Pizt

What would be very cool is if they allowed consumers to host servers for these games.
Most if not all of those games do allow hosting. I personally have never played any EA sports games using its matchmaking service (because I purchase two year old editions of the games when EA bundles them together), but I have played many online using the join by IP function.

29. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 12:35 Lokust

EA Games, chargefor everything

28. Re: ... Aug 4, 2006, 12:31 banddirector

It's barely 9:30 in the morning PDT, and already this thread has 28 posts. This may be a hot one, folks ....

So suck a fat chokelog, assholes.

Hey, a new insult to add to the catalog!

Insults I have learned since joining this forum (at least the ones I can remember off the top of my head):

fucktard, asshat, jackhole ....

-----------------------------------
Wherever you go, there you are ....

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 12:36.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

27. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 12:30 Riley Pizt

Sucks for people that play old versions of sports games picked up for pennies at used game dealers.
It also sucks for people who also just recently bought EA's 2005 sports games from retailers where they are still available for sale.

26. Re: ... Aug 4, 2006, 12:27 Kajetan

They better not dare shut down BF2 when BF2142 is released or I'll be seriously pissed off!

Don't be pissed, just buy BF2142. Do not make your life unnecessarily complicated. Just keep on buying and everything will be fine. Trust me!

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 12:28.

25. No subject Aug 4, 2006, 12:27 Riley Pizt

All of us at EA would like to thank you for your valued participation in our online gaming community and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond.
Oh, you know that enthusiasm animosity will continue especially since most if not all of the games can still be found on store shelves.

It used to be that EA would support a game's online play for at least two years after release.

Since Gamespy doesn't offer matchmaking services for EA's sports games, does anyone know of an alternative matchmaking service for them? Join by IP will still work with these games, but finding players is the problem.

24. ... Aug 4, 2006, 12:25 theyarecomingforyou

One year... that's it? Bastards. I don't expect games to last forever but at least several years. They better not dare shut down BF2 when BF2142 is released or I'll be seriously pissed off!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G

23. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:20 Tango

All of us at EA ... hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond.

There it is, that's why this is all going on.

22. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:20 Beamer

Well, UT still has 2000 people playing it, at the moment, according to Gamespy. I'd imagine most of these games were nowhere near that.

Quake 4, incidentally enough, has fallen out of the Gamespy stats page. Which means less than 200 people are playing it online right now.
Oh yeah, it's the wave of the future all right.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:19 Kajetan

You just cant expect a buisness to spend money handing out a free service forever.

"Forever" expects no one ... but as long as the game is available in stores/online shops as new or a regular budget release, it might be a good idea to keep the servers online. You know, it doesn't cost THAT much ...

I stopped buying EA games two years ago. Maybe now some more people are learning ...

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 12:19.

20. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:18 Grounded

Armies of Exigo sucked anyway

19. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:13 Quaternion

So that's why they wanted Microsoft to let them run their own Xbox Live servers. It's all so clear now.

18. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:12 BicycleRepairMan

And people went bananas when valve shut down WON to replace it with steam..

I said it back then, and I'll say it now, in reality that was a great move, since those WON games now get an afterlife. You just cant expect a buisness to spend money handing out a free service forever.

17. Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 12:05 Techie714 ©

The sad thing is many of us will still be buying there games. EA owns some pretty awesome franchises & If you like those games at all your still buying them. I'm a huge BF fan & besides only playing Project Reality Mod for BF2 right now I'm looking forward to BF2142.....Yep EA just keeps dealing that crack & were happy to buy it. Most of these games are for there console division so I really dont care but I still think it's kind of messed up to cancel these games only a year or two out.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo