Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Server Shutdowns

The Armies of Exigo Website (thanks Frans) has word that the multiplayer servers for Black Hole's RTS game will be going offline as of October 1, 2006, saying: "You may continue to play the game up until the closure date, although certain community programs may begin to close down prior to that date." The update points to this information page that outlines more servers that are going away:

Servers for the games listed below will be shut down on the indicated dates. You may continue to play the games online up until these dates, but certain community programs may begin to close down prior to the shutdown dates.

All of us at EA would like to thank you for your valued participation in our online gaming community and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to our current lineup and beyond.

If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, please visit http://support.ea.com.

Thank you,
Electronic Arts

August 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PS2
FIFA Soccer 2005 for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 Demo for Xbox
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PS2
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for Xbox
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PS2
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for Xbox
NBA LIVE 2005 for PC
NBA LIVE 05 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for PS2
NBA STREET V3 for Xbox
NCAA® Football 2005 for PS2
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 Demo for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PS2
NHL® 2005 for Xbox
NHL® 2005 for PC
Total Club Manager 06 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PS2
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PS2
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for PC
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE™ 2004-2005 for Xbox

October 1, 2006 Online Service Shutdown
Madden NFL 2005 for PS2
Madden NFL 2005 for Xbox
Madden NFL 2005 for PC
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for PS2
NFL Street 2: Unleashed for Xbox

Previously Shut Down Online Service
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PlayStation 2
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for Xbox

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

56. Re: Reading between the lines Aug 4, 2006, 20:41 MyRealName

Boycott EA! Forever.

C'mon, you know you want to.

Boycott Starforce
http://www.glop.org/starforce/
http://www.boycottstarforce.net

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Reading between the lines Aug 4, 2006, 20:19 FourPak

All of us at EA would like to thank you ignorant saps for your money
and hope that your enthusiasm for these games extends to
our current lineup,
which will also be cancelled once you invest enough money.

If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, well, go to hell because we don't give a damn about you or gaming in general. Hell, if we could make more money selling our kids to child molesters, we'd do that.

Fuck you,
Electronic Arts

54. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 18:14 Talisorn

Meh ... I lost complete faith in EA when they cancelled UO2. And with every passing day, my opinion of them gets worse and worse.

53. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 18:05 Eraserhead

Not defending this - it's obviously a ploy to get you to upgrade - but a) it's clearly stated this might happen on the box, and b) the "2005" titles actually came out in 2004, so they're two years old.

52. No subject Aug 4, 2006, 18:01 Xero

Hahah so many 2005 titles. EA games, they are good for a year and then you can toss them is what this looks like. It's good to know a money hungry company like that loves to show just how nice they are freely and openly. Muchless they don't try anything to innovate or help their online community. Battle.net let's people play a game from 1996 even still, and then theres Starcraft, Warcraft 2, etc. Blizzard doesn't seem to understand why you should close multiplayer that still has even 2 people playing on it. EA figures, Oh, we have less than 1 million playing right now? Get rid of it, that's money wasted!

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

51. Re: Connect by IP Aug 4, 2006, 17:14 Riley Pizt

Why can't a company like EA, on the day of server closure, send out one simple patch that at least allows connect over IP?
I am not up to speed on the 2005 versions of EA's games as I don't have them yet, but the past versions do support direct connection over the Internet via IP.

50. Re: Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 17:12 Riley Pizt

Can Gamespy Arcade or Kali work with these games?
Gamespy supports a limited number of EA games although I don't think it has lobbies for any of the sports games. It could from a technical standpoint though; it just doesn't.

As for Kali, Kali will work with any game. The only problem is that it's not free, and therefore not many people use it.

49. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 17:10 Riley Pizt

MS politely told them to fuck off, and wouldnt let them run their own servers, either.
Before you go kissing Microsoft's ass, you need to realize that Microsoft just shutdown online play at Zone.com for its own game titles like Motorcross Madness 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 3 & 4, and Links 2001 & 2003. Microsoft is almost as bad as EA on that score.

48. Re: Connect by IP Aug 4, 2006, 17:05  cliffski 

because they actively want to stop you playing the game you paid for?
vote with your wallet.

http://www.positech.co.uk

47. Connect by IP Aug 4, 2006, 15:44 venomhed

Why can't a company like EA, on the day of server closure, send out one simple patch that at least allows connect over IP? Sure, no stats tracking, but you can at least play a game.

The tech is and was there, and was suddenly removed from most games in the past 2-3 years.

Really is too bad. I would love to play some of these older games now and then, but have to rely on BOTS etc. Especially for a game like Tribes 2 which I have no idea if it still works online.

46. Re: Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 15:26 Kxmode

If any of these games have LAN capabilities, then you just need an IP tunneling program

Like the previously mentioned Kali.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_asylum_-_05-10-2006.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

45. Re: Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 15:16 Teddy

If any of these games have LAN capabilities, then you just need an IP tunneling program like hamachi to act as a virtual lan. Of course that only works if you know the IP of the people you're going to play with, but at least you can still play with friends.

44. Re: Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 14:47 MeatForce

I think it's safe to say that on the PC side, some determined person will eventually find a way to make a workaround for things like this..

But for anyone "participating in their online gaming community" by showing "enthusiasm" for EA's products on the XBox, this is just a giant fistpunch in the ass.

No idea how it works on the PS2.. I'm assuming Sony handles their own fistpunching somehow.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 14:50.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

43. Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 14:40 Kxmode

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_asylum_-_05-10-2006.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 14:41.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

42. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 14:34 Nxs

lol! All kindsa funny

41. Re: Your Still Buying Aug 4, 2006, 14:21 Beady

So that's why they wanted Microsoft to let them run their own Xbox Live servers. It's all so clear now.

Yeah, EA wanted MS to disable online service to their games after a year so that they could force people to buy a new game. MS politely told them to fuck off, and wouldnt let them run their own servers, either.

Eventually MS allowed EA to run their own system, so proper XBL games wont get shutdown like this but EA ones will. Fun fun fun!

40. No subject Aug 4, 2006, 14:18 frostee.uk

soon they will add a singleplayer 'time limit' also...

"Sorry, you cannot play <random crap EA sports game> 2004 as the game has been out for 3 years already and there are newer versions of the game out and we can't make money from you playing our older games, please buy one of the new ones, thank you."

39. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2006, 14:08 Riley Pizt

I just noticed that this announcement was dated May 22nd, so it's not like they're springing this on anyone.
That's a moot point. When you're stabbing your customers in the back, it really doesn't matter how much notice you give them.

38. Re: No one is playing these games Aug 4, 2006, 13:42  cliffski 

well how much does it cost to run a server that hatrdly anyone is using? im guessing a few bucks a month at most. you centralsie your bandwidth, probably use a virtual server anyway, all you are paying for is a tiny shred of power and trivial support costs. Either lots of people are still playing them in which case this sucks, or hardly any are, in which case its hardly a big deal to keep the server up for such a small group.
I still respond to tech support enquiries for a game I released in 1997, I'd consider it fucking rude not to. It amazes me that you see 2005 on that list. 2000 maybe, but 2005????

http://www.positech.co.uk

37. No subject Aug 4, 2006, 13:25 Tbh

Funny.

Most games magazines when reviewing ea sports annual editions nearly allways tell you not to bother if you have the pevious edition, if nothing radical has changed.

Guess if your into your multiplayer gaming, that one is now shot

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo