etc., etc.

View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: 55 greatest moments
Aug 1, 2006, 17:22
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 17:22
Aug 1, 2006, 17:22

And when I think of Blast Pit, I think of the noise those creatures made, and their BANG BANG BANG-ing of the metal walkways...

Yeah man.. back in the carefree days of A3D?? That level was so friggin' intense. Not to mention that the idea of making a monster that you can only 'fight' using sound was just completely cool.. still is, come to think of it..

But that crazy furious banging was just a terrifying sound effect. And the way you could hear it reverberating through the level even outside of the pit just made it all the more intense, since you pretty much knew you were going to be heading back in there at some point, and that thing just sounds pissed.

Shit.. what a game.

K, that seals it.. soon as I'm done with Prey, I'm going for another replay too!

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Aug 1, 2006, 17:06
nin
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 17:06
Aug 1, 2006, 17:06
nin

how fucking crazy was that the first time through?

Yeah, getting pecked to death numerous times.

One thing that's always impressed me about both HL games is the sounds - be it the baddies, the voice acting, the female "PA" voice in HL2, Dr. Breen and the G-man...

And when I think of Blast Pit, I think of the noise those creatures made, and their BANG BANG BANG-ing of the metal walkways...

edit: They should bring the the blast pit creature back for an encore.

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 17:07.

Aug 1, 2006, 17:00
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 17:00
Aug 1, 2006, 17:00

The Blast Pit level (I think it's called) where you're sneaking around, trying NOT to let the 3 headed monster know where you're at...think that's my fav level in HL.

OH HELL YEAH!!! Wow.. can't believe I forgot the Blast Pit -- how fucking crazy was that the first time through? One of the most brilliant stages in that game, IMO. The way that sequence ends was utterly jaw-dropping in its day..

Gotta wonder how come Valve has yet to bring back one of the best monsters ever.. Kinda hoping they've been quietly tweaking the Hydra that got cut from HL2, but the giant slap-happy claw would be just fine too..

-----
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Aug 1, 2006, 16:47
nin
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 16:47
Aug 1, 2006, 16:47
nin

Yeah, WTF?? Schlumping that carrier into the beam and causing the resonance cascade?? The part where everything goes black and all you hear are your heartbeat and breathing and then suddenly are on Zen surrounded by Vorts??

The Blast Pit level (I think it's called) where you're sneaking around, trying NOT to let the 3 headed monster know where you're at...think that's my fav level in HL.

Well, that and when you FINALLY get to smoke that damn Apache copter thats been chasing you for 3 levels.

edit: Shit, guess it's time for a replay. I love that game until the Xen levels...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 16:48.

Aug 1, 2006, 16:43
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 16:43
Aug 1, 2006, 16:43

Oddly, nothing from Half-Life

Yeah, WTF?? Schlumping that carrier into the beam and causing the resonance cascade?? The part where everything goes black and all you hear are your heartbeat and breathing and then suddenly are on Zen surrounded by Vorts??

Fuckin' A that's top 55 material.

And COD's beach landing was easily more memorable than the one in CoDII, I mean come on -- during the first two seconds of CoDII's I'm thinking "hey... I remember this... from CoD. Where it was awesome."

And while I'm at it, FUCK the ending of HALO, even though that game WAS great and takes way more flack than it realistically deserves..

But ranking the ending up in some holy list of "most memorable gaming moments" is bullshit... drive straight; drive and swerve around some stuff; drive straight some more until you can't; exit vehicle; press jump, is NOT one of the most memorable endings in all of gaming (he says remembering it perfectly ;P).. it's bullshit. The kind that makes you go "you gotta be fuckin' kidding me.." after it's over..

-----
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 16:45.
-----

Aug 1, 2006, 06:39
Re: 55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 06:39
Aug 1, 2006, 06:39

Not one, but *two* WW2 D-Day beach levels are in the 55 greatest moments. Also, quite a few of the top 20 are new or very new games. Oddly, nothing from Half-Life which is the usual top 3 staple of the typical 'best ever' gaming articles.

Still, poor choices.

55 greatest moments
Aug 1, 2006, 03:03
55 greatest moments Aug 1, 2006, 03:03
Aug 1, 2006, 03:03

"23. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox): The story twist here is the Sixth Sense of the video game world. It's a reversal so brilliant that you realize you've known it all along but couldn't uncloud it in your mind."

No no no (first of all it's a PC game first).

It's the 'Luke, I... am your father." of the video game world.

#2: Halos Ending

Please, compared to any PC fps 10 years before it, that game blew chunks.

I saw far to many PC games being shown as a console game (when in fact it's a port lol).

Also where is the

"I... am SHODAN!"

in there.. thats EASILY one of the greatest moments in gaming, from System Shock 2. FAR FAR most amazing then anything from Halo.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 03:11.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older