E3 Rumors Fly

ESA to downsize E3? on GameSpot (thanks Frans) quotes "informed industry sources" (IIS) in reporting that the ESA is planning drastic changes to the structure and scope of the Electronic Entertainment Expo. According to their IIS, the annual show will move from the LA Convention Center to a smaller venue, and will serve a smaller group of attendees in a series of meeting room conferences, rather than the open floor event it has been. GameSpot notes that one of their IIS thinks the changes will result in a more productive environment, which is hard to disagree with, though I always enjoyed the chaos of the show floor. They also point out that there is a financial motivation to cutting down on the showy part of the show, which has indeed always been strikingly extravagant, but they also speculate it may force smaller companies to seek alternate promotional opportunities. They say an official announcement about this will come tomorrow. In a more drastic take on the rumors, Next Generation has busted out the caps lock in declaring "EXCLUSIVE: E3 FINISHED" (thanks StrategyCore) saying any coming announcement of a smaller event is damage control, but that the real story here is that E3 is ostensibly dead. They say an official announcement is likely over the next 48 hours.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

It started with the booth babes
Jul 30, 2006, 16:33
It started with the booth babes Jul 30, 2006, 16:33
Jul 30, 2006, 16:33

Now they're ruining EVERYTHING!

No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 16:35
No subject Jul 30, 2006, 16:35
Jul 30, 2006, 16:35

The King is Dead! Long live the King!

Meh
Jul 30, 2006, 16:40
Meh Jul 30, 2006, 16:40
Jul 30, 2006, 16:40

E3 to me was just a time and place for news releases and demos. With the instant digital information age, it has lost its importance. I wonder if the developers even find it that useful for meetings anymore. With all the consolidation, it seems like it's just big companies buying large chunks of space anyways. I bet it's getting expensive to have a booth there too. Large extravagant booths with babes.. just go to vegas
s{

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 16:41.

Re: Meh
Jul 30, 2006, 17:08
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 17:08
Jul 30, 2006, 17:08

Despite my first reaction ("No E3 demo deadline in the middle of the project!? Sweet freedom!") I think this would be a shame.

If you want to fix the show, start by filtering out the 8 zillion people who have no business being there. First, it's way too easy to scam a badge. I know someone who has been going to the show every year since she was 17 by way of making up a company. Second, the definition of who is actually part of the game industry needs to be tightened. No offense, but if you're a Blockbuster clerk you don't belong there, so get the hell out of my parking space.

Do that first. Cull out the crowd so that it's composed only of people who belong there and watch the productivity rise.

Jul 30, 2006, 17:18
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 17:18
Jul 30, 2006, 17:18

I think E3 might have lost focus over the years. In the beginning it was a great arena for developers to show their games, and talk to media and buyers face to face. Lately it's become more of a "most booth babes and loudest noise" sort of show, and that's not what it should be. ESA did try to restrict this by enforcing new rules this year, but I don't think it was enough.

In my opinion they need to find back to the roots. I went to both E3 and Vegas this year, and both places bombards you with so many impressions at once it's hard to focus. I did manage to do the interviews I had pre-planned, but a lot of time is spent looking around confused and distracted. Granted this was my first year, but I don't think it's a good way of providing information. E3 is an important event, but it has to change. Few stands and many interview and private display booths would be good I believe.

@Some Dude: I was accepted because of a part-time job for the IT department of my University and running something akin to a fan-site ( http://www.strategycore.co.uk ), so that is very true. I think I gave some smaller developers much needed attention (Disciples III and JA3D for instance), but if I should have been accepted... And I'm by far not the worst example.
Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 17:27
No subject Jul 30, 2006, 17:27
Jul 30, 2006, 17:27

I'd miss the excitement around the news sites, the week of cool gameplay videos and demo's but I can understand why they would want to shitcan this monstrosity as it is now.

Even if it goes altogether theres still enoug interest where other organizers would jump in and come up with expo's a little more focused such as one for PC gaming etc.

and hey, one of them might even be on the east coast......

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Wow
Jul 30, 2006, 17:37
Wow Jul 30, 2006, 17:37
Jul 30, 2006, 17:37

They are being pro-active. I believe it. E3, has been a total blast over the years, I always loved going there. Howver, there has been very little positive results from E3 when it comes to ROI.

Its like hookers and cocaine. Great when it happens, but then your out a couple grand after a few days.

Jul 30, 2006, 17:39
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 17:39
Jul 30, 2006, 17:39

I think this would be a shame.
jeez, what the hell are they thinking, the games industry DEPENDS on the sizzle, buzz, rumor, hype, and flash of E3. If you want a "serious" convention where dork developers sit around and ramble on about the latest soft switch in some version control software goto the annual GDC and be bored to tears. E3 is about the wild and crazy FUN and EXCITING side of gaming. If true this is very sad.

edit:
Its like hookers and cocaine. Great when it happens, but then your out a couple grand after a few days.
and yet, like SuperBowl and Las Vegas you keep coming back every year because it's just such a blast and YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT!

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 17:45.

Jul 30, 2006, 17:50
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 17:50
Jul 30, 2006, 17:50

Some Dude hit the nail on the head. There are way too many people attending who have no business being there. This year's show had an early opening for media who registered early... that was great. The floor was so much nicer and it was much easier to talk to developers. I ended up spending almost 45 minutes talking with a programmer from Resistance: Fall of Man without being interrupted! It was great.

But if they really decide to cancel the show, that would be a cop-out. It looks like rather than fixing what's wrong, let's just scrap the whole thing.

Lastly, I think the style and approach needs to be toned down. The bigger publishers just over shadow the smaller devs looking for help and exposure. Everytime I visit the devs in the Kentia Hall, they look like their just starving for someone to visit them. I hope they plan something for the little guy if they end up canceling E3.

Jul 30, 2006, 18:05
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 18:05
Jul 30, 2006, 18:05

jeez, what the hell are they thinking, the games industry DEPENDS on the sizzle, buzz, rumor, hype, and flash of E3. If you want a "serious" convention where dork developers sit around and ramble on about the latest soft switch in some version control software goto the annual GDC and be bored to tears. E3 is about the wild and crazy FUN and EXCITING side of gaming. If true this is very sad.

Speaking as one of those dorks (thanks), no, the industry would survive without E3. But the thing is it shouldn't have to. It just needs to be fixed.

I'm sorry but this "wild and crazy fun exciting" party you're describing is not the purpose of the show. It's supposed to be devs/pubs showing off their games to the press, to the buyers, and, let's be honest, to each other. Naturally that makes it flashy and glamorous so as to attract attention. As a side-effect it's also become something of a popular "in crowd" event but I maintain that half the crowd is not in fact "in", and therein lies the problem with the show.

It's a trade show, and if you ain't tradin' you best be leavin'.

No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 18:36
No subject Jul 30, 2006, 18:36
Jul 30, 2006, 18:36

Go PAX!!!
Consoles are schwag.

Jul 30, 2006, 19:04
Re: Meh Jul 30, 2006, 19:04
Jul 30, 2006, 19:04

bah, if some people had their way here's what the E3 2007 ad campaign would look like:
http://www.artic.edu/artaccess/AA_Modern/images/wood_lg.jpg
Old. Tired. Conservative.

No thanx gramps, i'll be spending my gaming Expo time and money here instead:
http://tgs.cesa.or.jp/english/
where they're not afraid of cute girls and where they know how to have Fun AND do Business at the same time. rock on!

The New E3
Jul 30, 2006, 19:07
The New E3 Jul 30, 2006, 19:07
Jul 30, 2006, 19:07

E3 may have started out as a trade show but it's mutated into something different. E3 provided the gaming industry with a physical location, a prescence, to the rest of the world and it's customers (not just itself).

There's a valid need for an industry trade show, but arguably that should be GDC or what GDC has become.

E3 was/is poised to provide the industry with it's face to the public, to the customer. If they scrap the current E3 then I hope something fills the gap. Make GDC the real trade show and let E3 continue to be the industry's public front.

Re: No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 19:29
nin
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2006, 19:29
Jul 30, 2006, 19:29
nin

Go PAX!!!

Exactly...maybe next year for me...

-----------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

No venomhed, you can't fuck me. Please stop asking.

No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 19:41
No subject Jul 30, 2006, 19:41
Jul 30, 2006, 19:41

yeah but the memories......the memories.....

I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jul 30, 2006, 19:47
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2006, 19:47
Jul 30, 2006, 19:47

Loss of E3 is no big loss to us gamers. Developers will spend less time creating demos for E3 and more time making their games.

Jul 30, 2006, 19:54
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2006, 19:54
Jul 30, 2006, 19:54

Then there was GODGames' "Promised Lot" at E3 of course, which broke new ground several years ago...

Jul 30, 2006, 21:06
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2006, 21:06
Jul 30, 2006, 21:06

"Its like hookers and cocaine. Great when it happens, but then your out a couple grand after a few days."

"yeah but the memories......the memories....."

If you remember anything you haven't done enough coke,,
----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

E3 Rumors
Jul 30, 2006, 21:11
E3 Rumors Jul 30, 2006, 21:11
Jul 30, 2006, 21:11

First of all, it's just that, rumors. There will be an official announcement in a day or two.

Secondly, E3 is for the game developers to communicate hype to gaming news publications such as PC Gamer & BluesNews so that in turn they can communicate that hype to consumers.

Thirdly, ESA should have clamped down on the chaos a long time ago. An invitation to all national gaming magazines, Electronic Magazines, and gaming television shows should be sent with 4 SuperBowl-type hologram tickets to each publication. would request tickets. No one else gets in (period). It needs to be a forum to generate hype for developers. Entertainers need to have feedback. Your favorite band did not get good without playing in front of audiences. Gaming Developers *Need* to have people excited about their work in much the same way so that they can be excited to continue entertaining us in much the same way.

Fourthly, ESA has done a good job at censoring E3 beginning this year. As a consumer, I don't give a shit about booth-babes. If I need to see an awesome chick, I can go to a website & see bitches that are perfect 10's and generally people that good-looking are sluts so you'll also get to see them nude. So booth-babes are not for the public. The reality of booth-babes is that they were once a lame-ass tool that some developer's used & it worked to get reporters to hang out at their booth. It was a distraction from the real matter of gaming & it got out of hand.

I really don't care what happens here. But I've outlined what I feel to be a solid plan to cut out *ALL* of the bullshit & stick to the plan of communicating to the fans via professional reporters. I really don't give a shit about anything else. I don't care if someone got to see a Doom3 statue of a Baron of Hell or if some dumb bitch that doesn't even know what a video card is at the show. All I want is to have screenshots, videos, and a good report about the game.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 21:13.

No subject
Jul 30, 2006, 21:22
Kxmode

No subject Jul 30, 2006, 21:22
Jul 30, 2006, 21:22
 Kxmode

meh

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_asylum_-_05-10-2006.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer