Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Molyneux on Game Design

Next Generation - How to Make Great Games (thanks Frans) is an article coauthored by Lionhead's Peter Molyneux on the art of game design, offering perspectives based on his own experiences. The article, based on a recent presentation, kicks off stating: "The message I have is that there is no democracy in design. You must have someone who carries the vision."
View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Y U GOTTA H8?! Jul 18, 2006, 10:25 Fantaz

I'm waiting for what Microsoft has brewing with Lionhead. They could be doing something truly unique.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Y U GOTTA H8?! Jul 18, 2006, 04:49 Swerv

Unfortunately the only enjoyable part of Spore will be the creature editor and the first couple of hours after you get your spaceship.

8. Y U GOTTA H8?! Jul 18, 2006, 04:36 Sepharo

Just because his recent games didn't live up the hype doesn't make them not great games.

I enjoyed Black and White / 2
I enjoyed Fable
I enjoyed The Movies

They are still great unique games even if they don't achieve the legendary status everyone seems to mistakenly expect out of Molyneux.

Meanwhile the other supposed celebrity game developers have released duds far worse than what Molyneux has put out.

Sid Meier's Pirates! [new]: Crap.
Warren Specter's Deus Ex 2: Crap.
iD's Doom 3 and Quake 4: Bland and Boring

And the list goes on.

The only dev I trust more than Molyneux to release something enjoyable, thought provoking and unique is Will Wright...

mmmmm spore

7. Re: *Laughs* Jul 18, 2006, 01:25 MacD

Dungeon Keeper was fun too...but as far as I recall, he was stepping back from actual game devving and into 'producing' even then.

6. Re: *Laughs* Jul 18, 2006, 00:45 Elf Shot The Food

So this is where the trail of broken promises leads?

5. Re: *Laughs* Jul 17, 2006, 23:55 Ventura

I think it's about time for a Magic Carpet remake. NOW

Fucking oath. I absolutely could not agree more.

4. No subject Jul 17, 2006, 22:59 tron

"The message I have is that there is no democracy in design. You must have someone who carries the vision."

and in Pete's case, he's carrying it so far into irrelevance that no one cares about his so-called "vision" any more. i haven't enjoyed any of his games since populous.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

3. Re: *Laughs* Jul 17, 2006, 22:42 wasp

I think it's about time for a Magic Carpet remake. NOW.

2. Re: *Laughs* Jul 17, 2006, 22:37 Howin

Peter Molyneux greatness died with Bullfrog. Syndicate, Populous, Powermonger were all classics with great game design.

Black & White / Fable were just good examples of hype.

1. *Laughs* Jul 17, 2006, 22:06 Ventura

Yeah, right. Peter Molyneux isn't exactly qualified to coauthor an article on great game design. This is arrogance, pure and simple.

The Black and White franchise is largely considered to be one of the greatest disappointments of all time. As it turns out, the only game he had anything to do with that I spent serious time with was Magic Carpet, which is over 10 years old now, and even then he was just a producer.

I'd tell you who the world's great game designers are, but I don't know their names. They get around; Blizzard have had a couple on the payroll for a while, but they're certainly not celebrities. I can guarantee that in the vast majority of cases, if you're playing a game and something about its design makes you think "that's really clever", you'll never hear about the person responsible for the idea. That's why this whole thing with hyping up designers needs to die, because the greats just don't get the credit.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >