QUAKE 4 Patch Plans

The id Software Website (thanks Frans) has details on plans for the next QUAKE 4 patch, saying version 1.3 will offer a new game type and new multiplayer maps as they focus on an improved multiplayer experience. They are hoping to have this point release out before next month's QuakeCon:
With the upcoming release of the QUAKE 4 1.3 Point Release we’re making great strides in tuning and tweaking the QUAKE 4 multiplayer gaming experience based on feedback from the people playing it the most.

We’re implementing a number of community requested features and actual gameplay changes to QUAKE 4 gameplay which will provide a faster, smoother, and more highly competitive experience that we hope particularly appeals to those playing QUAKE 4 regularly and/or competitively, but also makes the game even more fun for new players. You can expect increased mobility and control, improved performance with ambient lighting options, and weapon alterations that advance playability and challenge competitive players.

We’ve noticed several LAN and competitive events considering what games to use for their future events, and we would encourage players and organizers to give 1.3 a try – we think you’ll like it. We feel these competition friendly changes, coupled with an all-new gametype, a new weapon, and several professionally made maps will extend the life of QUAKE 4 for all players. We’re currently in a small, private beta test of the point release and hope to have it out publicly sometime before QuakeCon.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: DM focus? yeah, right...
Jul 21, 2006, 23:21
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 21, 2006, 23:21
Jul 21, 2006, 23:21

if you want an awesome MP experience in the Quake universe

Uh, you never went to the Quake universe for the awesome singleplayer experience. If you had...well, I'm here to tell you you've been missing out on the good stuff for going on ten years now.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 23:21.

Jul 16, 2006, 15:29
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 15:29
Jul 16, 2006, 15:29

Tron I never said DM was going to be the focus of Q4

true, but you pissed me off with the "lazy ass" comment so i went on the offensive against you. i ran a single player quake 2 website for five years, and when Q3 was announced as multi-player only i wrote to Carmack and never bought the game i was so pissed. so, when Q4 was annouced as being SP focused, i was thrilled, and i'll never forget reading the press releases and articles stressing the focus on SP. true, they said that they would attempt to emulate the feel (the feel, not the content and gameplay) of Q3 on the multi-player side, and true, many people assumed this meant the multi-player would be awesome. but, i think the fans wanted an amazing MP experience that neither id nor raven ever really promised.

This article seemed to expect more than CTF and DM too

fine, but the fact is that it is about *expectations*. not about what id and raven said it would be. if you want an awesome MP experience in the Quake universe, you're going to have to wait for Quake Wars.
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Jul 16, 2006, 14:49
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 14:49
Jul 16, 2006, 14:49

I said that Raven claimed MP was going to be a major focus
And you are still wrong. This is not some argument over semantics. Multiplayer was NOT "the" major focus nor "a" major focus of Quake 4. Quake 4 was never intended to be more than it is as a multiplayer game. The fact that extra multiplayer modes and maps have been and are being added since the game's release is more a result of the demand from the competitive leagues which are committed to play the game and the lackluster response to the multiplayer game from the public.

Im not denying single player was a major focus as well and always was for Q4.
You can't have it both ways. Raven and id did not claim that Quake 4 would focus on both single-player and multiplayer modes equally.

Raven did claim at one point that MP would be more than generic DM and CTF.
No, by your own quote, it was a mere "possibility" one which most likely would depend upon customer demand. In addition, that preview you cited was written in August 2005. The likelihood that Raven would significantly redesign or expand the multiplayer aspects of the game at that point since it would be released shortly would be very remote. Sure some people may have expected more from Quake 4's multiplayer than were delivered, but those expectations weren't based upon any promises from the developers.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 15:10.

Jul 16, 2006, 14:43
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 14:43
Jul 16, 2006, 14:43

As late as May 2005? The game came out in Oct 2005.
Exactly. Even as late as six months before the game was released deathmatch was still the only multiplayer gameplay mentioned publicly for the game.

The bottom line is that Quake 4 was intended from the onset to be single-player mainly with multiplayer deathmatch tacked on.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 15:04.

Jul 16, 2006, 14:10
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 14:10
Jul 16, 2006, 14:10

Tron I never said DM was going to be the focus of Q4, I said that Raven claimed MP was going to be a major focus, with more than basic DM and CTF. Im not denying single player was a major focus as well and always was for Q4. But Raven did claim at one point that MP would be more than generic DM and CTF. Then they didnt talk about it for almost a year, and when they did it was just boring generic DM and CTF.

http://www.telefragged.com/previews/quake4/
This article seemed to expect more than CTF and DM too.
as well as the possibility of some other modes as well.

Anyways point being, someone at Raven said in an interview that Q4 MP was going to be much more than it ended up being. They said this in response to D3's very limited MP. No I can't find the obscure article, I have looked for it, but honestly I dont care at this point anymore. Q4 isnt worth the effort, and the game is already out and MP is limited, regardless of what they said or didnt say.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.
This comment was edited on Jul 16, 14:37.

Jul 16, 2006, 14:06
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 14:06
Jul 16, 2006, 14:06

As late as May 2005? The game came out in Oct 2005. The game was announced long before May 2005. Unfortunately I can't find the original announcement and the follow up interviews regarding Multiplayer. They barely mentioned MP for over a year until August 2005 when they had QuakeCon. It's clear from the 2nd quote that they had something bigger for MP than just DM and CTF, but never announced it, but they did drop hints about it long before the game was released, and obviously scrapped it.

If you look through comments on various threads around August 2005 (on other sites as well as Blues) when they really started talking about MP, there are plenty of other people that were expecting more game modes due to previous comments from Raven.

Currently playing Titan Quest, Prey, Need For Speed Most Wanted, and Disciples 2.

Re: No subject
Jul 16, 2006, 11:39
Jim
Re: No subject Jul 16, 2006, 11:39
Jul 16, 2006, 11:39
Jim

Every game out there HAS to be realistic and HAS to be team-based! Thank you Valve and Half-life! No more Freeze Tag. No more Blastchamber. No more Action Quake. No more Rocket Arena. No more Jailbreak. No more CTF

That's not entirely true. I like UT2k4. Used to play the hell out of Q3 CTF but lost interest after id patched it to death and it played like crap. Some guys at work still play it. Now I think the only games you can find online are the useless mods (excessive and junk like that).

I now play UT2k4 (exclusively the Onslaught mode) for my MP fix. Yes its team based, but I like to play the big maps and I often like to go after the most awards, so its almost like being able to go solo while still having a team focus. I like well-balanced, objective based team games. Yeah I guess that's what BF is, but I've never played it. UT is still a lot of fun.

FFA deathmatches just get boring real quick IMO. Spawn kill spawn kill spawn kill...

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 11:45.
Jim

No subject
Jul 16, 2006, 10:55
No subject Jul 16, 2006, 10:55
Jul 16, 2006, 10:55

Dagok, you lost man.. just admit it. Showing quotes that are saying they will have multiplayer in the game does not prove that MP was a major focus.

WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) / GW: Denarr Trueblade / BF2: Slinky317 / CoH: Spectris (Justice)
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

No subject
Jul 16, 2006, 10:39
No subject Jul 16, 2006, 10:39
Jul 16, 2006, 10:39

With regards to Quake MP, the wheels started falling off after Quake2. Quake1 MP/Quakeworld has never been bettered. Although looking forward to Quake Wars.

Jul 16, 2006, 10:17
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 10:17
Jul 16, 2006, 10:17

Yet Tron, like Riley and the other person, didnt bother to look it up himself before stating that I was wrong.

you still didn't prove your point. those quotes did not say that DM was going to be the focus of Q4. they just said that DM would be a part of the game. however, theBorgie found a quote that did in fact prove that Q4 was intended to be PRIMARILY a single player game experience. no one is saying that Q4 didn't have a DM component, just that is wasn't the focus of the game.

so, either back up your claim, or shut up about it already.

oh, and you can read this in the meantime:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/quake4/news.html?sid=6136593&mode=press

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 10:31.
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Jul 16, 2006, 10:10
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 10:10
Jul 16, 2006, 10:10

Dagok you are being very obtuse.
That's how he is. And it appears he's no longer just content being wrong about Valve's games. He is branching out to id's.

Re: If id really cared about Quake 4
Jul 16, 2006, 10:07
Re: If id really cared about Quake 4 Jul 16, 2006, 10:07
Jul 16, 2006, 10:07

Indeed, Rick Johnson, head of the project at developer Raven was heard saying, “Quake IV is primarily a single-player focused game which will be continued on a near storyline from Quake II. That's not to say that we won't have multiplayer, but our primary focus is currently the single-player experience.”
Amen. Those of us who frequented Raven's forums back then heard that time and time again from the developers.

Jul 16, 2006, 10:05
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 10:05
Jul 16, 2006, 10:05

Another source - May 2005
"Tim: We don't want to talk about the multiplayer modes until later. But the QUAKE 4 multiplayer games are based on the QUAKE 3 feel. Raven has reworked the network code from DOOM 3, it will be 12-16 players, that's pretty standard. We'll have deathmatch, team deathmatch, there will be free-for-alls, and we want to save the rest of the big stuff for QuakeCon."
You just proved my point. As late as May 2005, deathmatch was all there was.

Re: Multiplayer was the suck
Jul 16, 2006, 10:01
Re: Multiplayer was the suck Jul 16, 2006, 10:01
Jul 16, 2006, 10:01

I love how you keep editing your posts, after you look up the game modes
I edited my post to add the year of Quake 4's annoucement to it. I knew it was years before Doom 3 was released, but I couldn't remember offhand if it was in 2002 or 2001.

In all previews I read they always listed DM, Team DM, CTF and Arena (powerups) modes
DM, Team DM, Arena, and Tournament are all deathmatch games. CTF is the only mode which is not simply deathmatch. Second, those previews didn't come out until the game was close to shipping. Raven originally mentioned just deathmatch.

So yes, you are defending Quake 4 without knowing anything about the game, without having played it,
Boy, I obviously know more about the game than you since you were stupid enough to think that Quake 4 was announced after Doom 3 had shipped and that the primary focus was multiplayer.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 12:37.

Jul 16, 2006, 09:11
Enahs

Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 09:11
Jul 16, 2006, 09:11
 Enahs

Dagok you are being very obtuse. id or raven never said the focus was multiplayer. Never. They might have talked about MP sure, but they have also explicitly said that it was extra and not the focus. Either admit you are wrong or stop insulting people. You will never find a link to what you claim unless you go make a website up, because it is simply NOT true. Never was. ET:QW was in the planning stages (and possibly development stages) long before Q4 MP was announced. Why would id commission two MP focused games based on the Quake universe at the same time?

You are simply wrong man.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

BluesNews community frappr page:
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: Multiplayer was the suck
Jul 16, 2006, 07:28
DG
Re: Multiplayer was the suck Jul 16, 2006, 07:28
Jul 16, 2006, 07:28
DG

I hope splash damage has beat the doom 3 netcode into shape. My only disappointment about ET:QW at this point is that it is using the D3 engine, and considering that Q4 wasn't really much better in the multiplayer performance area I'm a little concerned in the internet play for QW
In one of the devchats I cant be bothered finding, they stated the entire netcode had been re-written. Wether it's actually much better we wont know until release

edit: ok i did find it afterall - http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read/3665992
PW: The new networking system that we have in the game is basically a complete replacement of anything that existed in Doom 3, or Quake 3, or Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - anything previously. It's a totally different approach.
(etc etc)

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 07:33.

Re: If id really cared about Quake 4
Jul 16, 2006, 05:14
Re: If id really cared about Quake 4 Jul 16, 2006, 05:14
Jul 16, 2006, 05:14

Quake 4 was SP Focus.
How about this Aug 18, 2003:

In amazing news to come from QuakeCon over the weekend, it has been revealed that Quake IV will not be the massively multiplayer FPS fans were expecting.

Instead it will be a story-driven, single-player-focused outing, with a story in some way connected to that of Quake II.

Indeed, Rick Johnson, head of the project at developer Raven was heard saying, “Quake IV is primarily a single-player focused game which will be continued on a near storyline from Quake II. That's not to say that we won't have multiplayer, but our primary focus is currently the single-player experience.”

Why this decision has been made is not clear. Can it mean that Doom III will be the key multiplayer online offering from the id stable?

We’ll bring you more on this amazing story as we get it.

http://news.spong.com/article/5396

If id really cared about Quake 4
Jul 16, 2006, 02:36
RaZ0r!

If id really cared about Quake 4 Jul 16, 2006, 02:36
Jul 16, 2006, 02:36
 RaZ0r!

they would have done it in house like the rest of them.

RaZ0r!
http://users.ign.com/about/Cutts
I pwnz j00!

Jul 16, 2006, 02:30
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 02:30
Jul 16, 2006, 02:30

And I did...

Yet Tron, like Riley and the other person, didnt bother to look it up himself before stating that I was wrong.

Jul 16, 2006, 02:07
nin
Re: DM focus? yeah, right... Jul 16, 2006, 02:07
Jul 16, 2006, 02:07
nin

Tron move your lazy ass and do your own search on Blues News archives.

He who makes the statement is in charge of backing it up, to prove their point. Hence, Tron shouldn't have to...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.muse.mu/
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older