Battlefield 2 Beta Patch

The Battlefield 2 Website (thanks Frans) now offers downloads of a new version 1.4 beta patch for DICE's military shooter sequel. Here's word on what the beta entails, as well as appropriate warnings about the need to protect your original BF2 installation, the lack of official support for the beta, and how many servers will be available:
We are beginning the first phase of our 1.4 patch beta testing! This initial phase of testing will only include a small number of servers whose focus is to ensure stability in a live environment. At the completion of this phase we will be rapidly expanding the number of servers hosted to allow everyone an opportunity to review this latest patch.

I would like to stress that everyone who downloads the beta files should take the time to read the included text file so that you can properly safeguard your current BF2 install.

Also please note that EA Customer Service can not provide any support for issues related to the Beta Patch. I encourage everyone to log into the EA-Battlefield forums and participate on the 1.4 Patch Beta discussions that will cover both 1.4 issues, tuning changes, and new features.

Issue Reporting
Feedback

Beta Full (522MB)
Beta Incrimental (138MB)

A few of the servers hosted will be set to the new ‘No Vehicles’ server setting that will allow players to focus on infantry vs infantry combat on all BF2 and Special Forces Maps. Other servers will include the new "Road to Jalalabad" map, sponsored by Comcast, which will allow US and MEC forces to engage in a new urban warfare environment!

Everyone here at EA and DICE look forward to working with the community to ensure this next patch is a solid step forward for the Battlefield Franchise.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Yawn
Jul 6, 2006, 17:18
Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 17:18
Jul 6, 2006, 17:18

4, 7, and 8 are all good ideas to lopside the game against air units. Ground to air against planes IS all but useless however. 9 I agree that the chaingun on the Blackhawk should not have been nerfed, the Blackhawk is pretty useless now, whereas it used to be one of the biggest parts of the game on maps like Songhua and Mashtuur. 6 I also like the idea of being able to disable claymores. They're just ridiculous. A sniper working with a resupply in Sharqi can keep the TV Station unpassable just by putting claymores all over the stairs. Too bad EA / Dice aren't exactly listening.

venomhed's patch
Jul 6, 2006, 13:08
venomhed's patch Jul 6, 2006, 13:08
Jul 6, 2006, 13:08

god damn you venomhed...i read your post thinking it was an updated list of changes in this new patch, and man i was cheering! shoulder fired AA? NICE!
shoulda known...if it sounds too good to be true...

i wish you were in charge of the patch team.

-Inno

Jul 6, 2006, 11:41
Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 11:41
Jul 6, 2006, 11:41

Its more fun to take on your OWN team anyway Drop vehicles on your snipers head, or the guy that took your anti air seat

Drop a supply box on their head. Call in artillary strikes on your own team's flag cappers That goes down well

Run them over with cars as you jump out at the last minuite and they cant punish you While they are buy pressing ENTER like mad to get in the helicopter, drive next to them in a vehicle and they enter YOUR vehicle, then drive with them off the carrier to swim

Dont forget to run over your own team's mines (if team damage is on ).

Sit in the jet in the runway and refuse to take off.

Drive backwards everywhere or around in circles.

Heli piggy backing on the carrier, sit with your heli on the jet spawn point, it usually rolls into the water with them in it THe helicopters arnt useful for much appart from that now anyway

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 11:44.

Jul 6, 2006, 10:05
Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 10:05
Jul 6, 2006, 10:05

That's another easy fix. How about you learn to AIM?

How do this have anything to do with aim? It LOCKS ON to the target. There is no aiming involved.

The fact is that it's an anti-air turret can't actually kill anything in the air without taking an hour to reload at least once, by which time you'll probably be dead.

Man talk about whining. Next thing you know you'll be complaing about the pistols being too accurate...

I get the feeling that his post wasn't really meant to be taken all that seriously.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 10:07.

Jul 6, 2006, 09:01
nin

Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 09:01
Jul 6, 2006, 09:01
 nin

What happened to "venomhed's hawt dating tips" he promised to post?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

Jul 6, 2006, 05:23
Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 05:23
Jul 6, 2006, 05:23

5. Claymores range has been reduced to 3 feet from 20 feet.

Hasn't it been dumbed down enough already?

Did ya know a real Claymore has a kill radius of 50 meters on a 60 degree field of fire in front and 10 meters to the rear.
Heck, even the standard grenade has a kill radius of 5 meters.

What the Claymore really needs is to made more realistic. Take away that bogus proximity sensor BS and let us lay a tripwire or use the remote "Clacker" a real Claymore uses.
Eye 4N Eye

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

Jul 6, 2006, 00:48
Re: Yawn Jul 6, 2006, 00:48
Jul 6, 2006, 00:48

"Anti Air which only follows heat signatures (meanin you can only fire at the rear) of air vehicles"

Meaning you're tired of getting owned on those slow dive approaches so you'd rather not be shot at until after you've dropped? Uhhh yeah.

Jul 5, 2006, 23:53
Re: Yawn Jul 5, 2006, 23:53
Jul 5, 2006, 23:53

The only idiot is YOU.

1. Players not in a squad will not accumulate any points until they are in a squad.

What a dumb idea. If people on the server you play on don't play in squads, maybe you need to play somewhere else.

2. The team that does not win does not receive any points at the end of the round.

Strike 2! Thank god you aren't a game designer...or maybe you are and you are the man responsible for Superman 64. With ideas like that you could take the fun out of any game.

3. Optional server side swtich which allows the commander to force players into squads.

4. AT Characters Eryx/AT weapon now has two modes. Anti armor with limited guidance. Anti Air which only follows heat signatures (meanin you can only fire at the rear) of air vehicles.

Wow, these ideas aren't bad. Number 3 is a great idea. Number 4 would be better if you had a choice between your AT weapon or an AA weapon.

6. Engineers and Snipers can disarm and reclaim claymores.

Here's a better fix...how about you stop whining and watch where you step?

7. Anti Air bunkers can now fire 4 missiles rather than 2.

That's another easy fix. How about you learn to AIM?

8. Anti Air tank now can drop smoke, missile ammo has increased X2, machine gun NOW SIGNIFICANTLY HURTS AIR UNITS!

9. Blackhawk and all choppers side machine gun accuracy has increased from 0 to 100. Armor is still relatively weak on these transports.

These have easy fixes too. Like learning to aim and learning to use your squad.

Man talk about whining. Next thing you know you'll be complaing about the pistols being too accurate...

---
http://www.cynicsdaily.com - Another stupid blog complaining about everything.

Jul 5, 2006, 23:13
Re: Yawn Jul 5, 2006, 23:13
Jul 5, 2006, 23:13

i despise all your ideas except the one about disarming claymores. :-P
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

Jul 5, 2006, 22:12
Re: Yawn Jul 5, 2006, 22:12
Jul 5, 2006, 22:12

2. The team that does not win does not receive any points at the end of the round.

I like this one.

The patch better be installable...
Jul 5, 2006, 22:01
Ant

The patch better be installable... Jul 5, 2006, 22:01
Jul 5, 2006, 22:01
 Ant

... with limited C: drive (less than 1 GB). I am planning not to test due to lack of free time.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Yawn
Jul 5, 2006, 21:30
Yawn Jul 5, 2006, 21:30
Jul 5, 2006, 21:30

Great EA, confuse the public with a Beta Patch, idiots. Some items the final should have.

1. Players not in a squad will not accumulate any points until they are in a squad.

3. Optional server side swtich which allows the commander to force players into squads.

4. AT Characters Eryx/AT weapon now has two modes. Anti armor with limited guidance. Anti Air which only follows heat signatures (meanin you can only fire at the rear) of air vehicles.

6. Engineers and Snipers can disarm and reclaim claymores.

7. Anti Air bunkers can now fire 4 missiles rather than 2.

8. Anti Air tank now can drop smoke, missile ammo has increased X2, machine gun NOW SIGNIFICANTLY HURTS AIR UNITS!

9. Blackhawk and all choppers side machine gun accuracy has increased from 0 to 100. Armor is still relatively weak on these transports.

But, this is a dream list that should have been implemented a year or so ago. weak.

Re: nitpick
Jul 5, 2006, 20:13
Re: nitpick Jul 5, 2006, 20:13
Jul 5, 2006, 20:13

"Another attempt at fixing the Red/Blue nametag bug"

This one gave me a chuckle. At least the devs finally admit they keep screwing up this bug fix.

Re: Tired
Jul 5, 2006, 20:07
Jow
Re: Tired Jul 5, 2006, 20:07
Jul 5, 2006, 20:07
Jow

Can anyone who's tried this report whether or not they've fixed the crashes on joining games? This is driving my friends and I completely nuts.

Jul 5, 2006, 20:06
Re: Tired Jul 5, 2006, 20:06
Jul 5, 2006, 20:06

The devs, or at least the people making the patch aren't trying to improve the game, I'm not totally sure what they are trying to do tbo.

They are trying to do one thing - sell booster packs.

Jul 5, 2006, 20:02
nin

Re: Tired Jul 5, 2006, 20:02
Jul 5, 2006, 20:02
 nin

Now come on Tumbler, you were the official BF2 Fanboi of Bluesnews.com, what happened?

AH-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

No subject
Jul 5, 2006, 19:56
No subject Jul 5, 2006, 19:56
Jul 5, 2006, 19:56

Is it just me or do I hardly ever have bugs/problems in this game?

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

Jul 5, 2006, 19:54
Re: Tired Jul 5, 2006, 19:54
Jul 5, 2006, 19:54

The devs, or at least the people making the patch aren't trying to improve the game, I'm not totally sure what they are trying to do tbo.

Simple features like being in squad, or receiving orders have no reward attached to them. Everyone wants to be a squad leader because they can request command assets but it makes no difference if they follow orders or run an effective squad.

If they added a point reward to following orders it would improve the game. Someone could still lone wolf it and ignore those orders but using the orders to attack a position could give additional points. Having people spawn on the squad leader could give points and that would give the squad leader a reason to stay alive.

And for those that would argue that people would exploit those features....so what?! The stats are complete BS. The only stat that should be tracked is your average score for the last 10 games or something like that. A tally is useless and only encourages people to exploit the system. There would be no point if it averaged only the last X games.

The game could be great if DICE pulled their heads out of their asses, but all they are doing is trying to keep the game exactly the way it is, full of plane whoring, stat obsessed, spawn campers. BF1942 was so much better at this point in it's life, it improved on what worked instead of protecting what doesn't work.

seriously
Jul 5, 2006, 19:41
seriously Jul 5, 2006, 19:41
Jul 5, 2006, 19:41

I would feel like a grade A moron if I had paid money for this game. I generally have a one year moratorium on EA PC games, because that is how long it usually takes for them to be patched enough so most of the critical bugs are gone.

But seriously, that red/blue bug is still there? And they've made 'another attempt' to fix it?

But this 'beta patch' shit... Now they're not even going to bother doing serious internal testing - presumably because after the last few botched releases which didn't really resolve anything, they don't see the point - and now they're back trying to get the community to do their work for them.

Jul 5, 2006, 19:22
Re: Tired Jul 5, 2006, 19:22
Jul 5, 2006, 19:22

Now come on Tumbler, you were the official BF2 Fanboi of Bluesnews.com, what happened?

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older