Guild Wars Updates

The Guild Wars Game Update Notes have details on updates to ArenaNet's MMORPG that have taken place over each of the past three days. Most notably, the game's Dragon Festival is now underway. Thanks Frans.
View : : :

Re: That's brilliant
Jul 1, 2006, 15:26
Re: That's brilliant Jul 1, 2006, 15:26
Jul 1, 2006, 15:26

I must admit, I'm quite unthrilled by Factions. Where Guild Wars (original) was a breath of fresh air compared to the FPS ennui I was in, they (Anet) have managed to drop the ball massively with Factions.

It's a shame, as I *really* liked Guild Wars, but Factions is a dull, contrived slog, going through the motions while Anet make those areas last as long as they can, and make you revisit them as much as you can endure, and generally reduce the exploratory aspect in favour of shunting you along the storyline.

Forming a party is still a chore and seems to take longer than the missions themeselves. I'd say quests, but getting folks to join you on those is even more remote. This could be done better, it could be simpler, it could be trying to encourage you to meet people with similar quests. It could even highlight players with same quests as yourself...(massive hint Anet!)

The balance between accomodating the previous batch of players and the new players has been handled badly. As a "local" you are rushed to level 20, then it's: buy skills, do quests, go back here, buy a few more skills, repeat. The progression to level 20 was *so* much more satisfying in Guild Wars than Factions. However, it's hard to see what they could have done about it, and it doesn't really bode well for future packs.

Because of the above, it feels like each species got a ramp up of level and pack quota, just so the folk arriving from Tyria weren't too bored by the seeming easiness. Too often it feels like one oppresive horde after another, rather than packs. Yes, this was basically the original system, but it feels like a chore this time around.

To summarise, yes it sounds like a moan, but it's only because I actually *really* liked the original, and seeing Factions make, what I consider a hamfist of it, is sad.

Date
Subject
Author
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
  Re: That's brilliant
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006
Jul 1, 2006Jul 1 2006